Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

So the internet has circled back around to boob armour being cool again, huh?

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

wait what happened with rosario dawson

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/rosario-dawson-her-family-sued-over-alleged-transphobic-assault-n1069756

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

well done, that's definitely what people are saying, you're a very good reader

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
boob armor.....? i hardly even know 'er!!

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Jesus gently caress :gonk:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dabir posted:

If this is her point she expressed it pretty badly. It kind of just looks like she's upset about a female body shape being visible under clothing at all.

Her tweet was "Bleh boob armor" and not something like "Bleh you can see the outlines of boobs under this Mandaloran Flexisteel Battle Shirt" so it sounds like just a shallow boob plate remark to me. But a lot of this debate is getting dragged into the "Oh so women can't be visibly feminine now or sexy? How anti-woman of you! I'll have you know this makes perfect sense in The Lore..." concern troll remark that reactionaries think is the perfect counter to anyone criticizing a fictional female character's design, and I don't really see that as something that needs to be litigated or taken as a serious concern here.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 17, 2020

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

so long as it doesn't look too doofy, boob armor or unrealistic armor's like, Whatever imo (the mandalorian armor is pretty meh but what can you do?). :shrug: i think it's more interesting to have cool looking, unique clothes and armor in stuff :)

though i do remember that one blog, and wrote it off as a bunch of weirdos after they yelled about some clothes being unrealistic for a tales of berseria character and gave her terrible looking puffy pants + yelling about how some character in fire emblem who had shorts on under a skirt was actually just wearing underwear before it was clearly changed because of ????; just too weirdly angry and nitpicky and i guess a bit sex negativey about stuff?

anyways this isn't really a internet reviewer but i just found this channel and the food in it looks really good!! Jun's Kitchen

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

Her tweet was "Bleh boob armor" and not something like "Bleh you can see the outlines of boobs under this Mandaloran Flexisteel Battle Shirt" so it sounds like just a shallow boob plate remark to me. But a lot of this debate is getting dragged into the "Oh so women can't be visibly feminine now or sexy? How anti-woman of you! I'll have you know this makes perfect sense in The Lore..." concern troll remark that reactionaries think is the perfect counter to anyone criticizing a fictional female character's design, and I don't really see that as something that needs to be litigated or taken as a serious concern here.

There were some people responding with pictures of the stuff they wear for combat sports or being in the military and that they're happy things are no longer quite so constraining but it got lost in the shuffle because it's Sarkeesian and her having an opinion is like ringing the dinner bell to a certain type of unpleasant person. I'm sure TheQuartering will be supplied with content for weeks.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I feel like people have a problem distinguishing between diagnosis of the problems with our horrible culture and condemnation of specific tv shows or movies. Saying that it's silly that you have to give boobs to female mandalorians in order to signal that they're women isn't saying that the show itself is stupid or bad, necessarily. It's like how Ms. Pacman can still be the best Pacman game but also not a triumph for feminism just because they put a bow on Pacman's head to make a pac lady.
She also had eyelashes.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Star wars, Anita Sarkeesian, let's have some zack snyder too
(not really, I just like bobvids and this tweet)

https://twitter.com/bobvids/status/1328772282005790720

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

My PC back at that time had a Geforce 6600 with, of all things, a SCART port. And now a SCART plug is finally a major motion picture villain.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Booky posted:

so long as it doesn't look too doofy, boob armor or unrealistic armor's like, Whatever imo (the mandalorian armor is pretty meh but what can you do?). :shrug: i think it's more interesting to have cool looking, unique clothes and armor in stuff :)

though i do remember that one blog, and wrote it off as a bunch of weirdos after they yelled about some clothes being unrealistic for a tales of berseria character and gave her terrible looking puffy pants + yelling about how some character in fire emblem who had shorts on under a skirt was actually just wearing underwear before it was clearly changed because of ????; just too weirdly angry and nitpicky and i guess a bit sex negativey about stuff?

anyways this isn't really a internet reviewer but i just found this channel and the food in it looks really good!! Jun's Kitchen

I wouldn't say the female Mandalorian thing is bad on its own. If that was the spaceman uniform any other scifi game or comic context everyone would pass it by as not being nearly egregious enough to care about. It just happens here that they upgraded an armor design for a female character from a kid's show into more costumes for the same female warrior ladies and what's easy shorthand for a kid's show might cause some issues to expand out on.

Berseria and the other Tales games fall into the same category as Monster Hunter for me, where sometimes the outfits are dumb and horny and other times they're neat, albeit goofy anime crap. Velvet's default outfit is pretty dumb even if it's the byproduct of being trapped in a hell dimension for years, but Tales games are pretty good about doing other fun feminist buzzwords like giving female characters "agency" and "strong motivations" and "personality" too so you know, mixed bag.

Jun and his SO Rachel also have a channel where they vlog about other things, like their cats:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=393jPL8fkxc

Japaneses culture and cultural differences:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usmkT8kfhUs

And a cool documentary about being black and living in Japan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJWAuVjKGOQ

e- Actually I think this is their new channel that they switched to for some reason:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwpTXYshi9c

Dawgstar posted:

There were some people responding with pictures of the stuff they wear for combat sports or being in the military and that they're happy things are no longer quite so constraining but it got lost in the shuffle because it's Sarkeesian and her having an opinion is like ringing the dinner bell to a certain type of unpleasant person. I'm sure TheQuartering will be supplied with content for weeks.

There's definitely room to discourse about what realistic or practical body armor would be like for someone with breasts, when even now everything is designed for a flat chested or male-assigned bodies, and we might not even have a real understanding of what that would look like when we default to our image of a "normal" person wearing a combat vest or plate mail or whatever. But yeah there's not a lot of people who are interested in coming at that for anything besides alt-right outrage clicks.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 17, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Dawgstar posted:

That's the thing though; as you said, people have responded, citing fitted body armor for combat sports and such.

Armourer's Choice | Female Body Armour posted:

Legio X - NIJ Level IV
The Legio X offers complete torso coverage without excessive weight. Throughout history female soldiers were fewer in number, but in today's world it is an everyday occurrence. Armourer's Choice embarked on a mission to build the most comfortable, lightest and highest performing female torso plate on the market.

Custom Shapes
The female form is not the same from person to person, and with that being said it is important to ensure the fit by selecting the correct shape to meet your body shape.

Cup Sizes
The armour comes in a variety of cup sizes to meet the specific shape of the person donning the armour system.

I see this and think, "Oh cool, I didn't know that was a thing", and it makes sense because you'd want something that's fitted to your body and is comfortable. I would think, when presented with this, Anita might have a similar reaction.

But alas:
https://twitter.com/anitasarkeesian/status/1327844628582723586
https://twitter.com/anitasarkeesian/status/1327844633955614720
https://twitter.com/anitasarkeesian/status/1327844636165980162
https://twitter.com/anitasarkeesian/status/1327844637122301958

Plus this poo poo:
https://twitter.com/comics_danny/status/1328442538785726465

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Max Wilco posted:

I would think, when presented with this, Anita might have a similar reaction.

But alas

Well, the noise-to-reasonable-educational-articles ratio on her tweets has to be pretty hard to sift through right now. Why do you care if she quips about getting a sea of harassment over banal media observations?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

I see this and think, "Oh cool, I didn't know that was a thing", and it makes sense because you'd want something that's fitted to your body and is comfortable. I would think, when presented with this, Anita might have a similar reaction.

But alas:
https://twitter.com/anitasarkeesian/status/1327844637122301958

And yet, in the aggregate, I fail to see how anything said in those two tweets are exactly wrong :thunk:

Fans of [Popular Media Thing] are fragile as fine china and will go bonkers aggro at the nearest object possessing a second X chromosome over the tiniest encroaching microagression on their fandom. As represented by Anita going "wtf boobs? lol" and the internet going

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Now that we have way more diverse voices in videogame criticism and analysis, Anita just sounds kinda...basic.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dias posted:

Now that we have way more diverse voices in videogame criticism and analysis, Anita just sounds kinda...basic.

That's her secret, Captain, she was always Critical Theory 101. People just didn't realize it at the time :ssh:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

That's her secret, Captain, she was always Critical Theory 101. People just didn't realize it at the time :ssh:

Yeah, her goodwill was mostly being the first (or at least the first noticeable) and having to suffer under GG's avalanche.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, I know, but even her replies to that thread are very (for the lack of a better term) Liberal Feminism with the "women like these things too take that". I get she attracts the worst assholes ever but I feel people are saying much more interesting stuff nowadays or at least doing funny burns on trolls, even when explaining basic stuff.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'm only offended by the misplaced apostrophe in her initial post.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

nine-gear crow posted:

this was my biggest problem with her project at its time of conception, because it seemed like a hysterically simplistic series of explanations on the most basic subjects explained to an audience that likely already agrees with her. i felt like it was vastly overstating the expected outcome/intent of the project (and the need for funding) ...but then it caused the a majority of the internet to become irrepairably deranged just by pointing these normal things out so boy my face is red

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I have a friend who is generally really cool and progressive but he HATES sarkeesian because she once read she said that she doesn't play videogames, how dare she talk about videogames if that is the case!

It's really bizare, like he gets so angry so quickly and 'why would you need to be an expert in videogames to give a basic feminist 101 reading on videogames?' Just makes him even madder.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Anita's initial take is dumb and if she thinks that is "boob armor" then I can only assume she thinks any kind of sexual dimorphism in armor design is bad which, uh, okay.

But hey guess what? She is absolutely entitled to her dumb take and the sheer amount of people who immediately sprang up from the woodwork to tell her how terrible she is for expressing it is loving pathetic.

fun hater posted:

this was my biggest problem with her project at its time of conception, because it seemed like a hysterically simplistic series of explanations on the most basic subjects explained to an audience that likely already agrees with her. i felt like it was vastly overstating the expected outcome/intent of the project (and the need for funding) ...but then it caused the a majority of the internet to become irrepairably deranged just by pointing these normal things out so boy my face is red

I mean, the point of FF I thought was to try and apply the most basic, Feminist Theory 101 to a predominantly male created and represented media in the hopes those people would be receptive to a more basic message and maybe invite some change in the industry. Except ot turns out even that most basic critique made capital G Gamers flip the gently caress out and start a culture war against anything even remotely progressive in the medium, so welp!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

nine-gear crow posted:

And yet, in the aggregate, I fail to see how anything said in those two tweets are exactly wrong :thunk:

Fans of [Popular Media Thing] are fragile as fine china and will go bonkers aggro at the nearest object possessing a second X chromosome over the tiniest encroaching microagression on their fandom. As represented by Anita going "wtf boobs? lol" and the internet going

The first reply listed from one of those tweets:
https://twitter.com/mercadomalorte/status/1327845612432355328

And from what you said earlier:

nine-gear crow posted:

That discourse also died a quick and quiet death in the Mandalorian TVIV thread, which is amazing because TVIV is an even bigger poo poo pile than this thread tends to be. More hay has been (rightfully) made over the fact that Gina Carano recently outted herself on Twitter as a right wing conspiracy nut, political violence advocate, and transphobe rather than whatever impactless dumbfuck thing Anita Sarkeesian said about boobie armor.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

fun hater posted:

I'm just picturing now all of these little shitgibbons taking an Introduction To Critical Theory class at a university and going apeshit on the second day and throwing anything they could get their hands on across the lecture hall in a fit of abject nerdrage because some minorly revelatory thing the prof said just cracked their brains irreparably if you were to take their eternal meltdown and translate it into a real world action equivalent.

Max Wilco posted:

Woman can have mutually exclusive simultaneously existing Bad and Not Bad Takes. Who knew? :confused:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm just picturing now all of these little shitgibbons taking an Introduction To Critical Theory class at a university and going apeshit on the second day and throwing anything they could get their hands on across the lecture hall in a fit of abject nerdrage because some minorly revelatory thing the prof said just cracked their brains irreparably if you were to take their eternal meltdown and translate it into a real world action equivalent.

This is a thing that more or less actually happened during the heyday of GG or the Jordan Petersen crowd, angry kids would go to college courses on intro to crit theory or basic logic and lose their loving minds in rage at the classes not lining up with what they expected them to be.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

This is a thing that more or less actually happened during the heyday of GG or the Jordan Petersen crowd, angry kids would go to college courses on intro to crit theory or basic logic and lose their loving minds in rage at the classes not lining up with what they expected them to be.

Oh gently caress, you're right, I remember this. I seem to recall that Ben Shapiro and the core clique of embarrassments from Turning Points USA like Diaper Boy, Black Woman Hitler Fan, and the AR-15 Prom Date Girl would encourage people to do this purely to... own the libs?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Peak "I used Ben Shapiro's debate logic for my persuasive essay and my teacher failed me, why?!" energy.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
If you click through that reasonable response you'll find a bunch of shitgibbons talking about how she 'faked all the harassment' for the big kickstarter bucks.

I don't think she's responding to the people disagreeing with her in good faith but rather the slavering horde of manbaies trying to gotcha her with 'but you'd say it was sexist if they just had their boobs flopping out, doublestandards much????'

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Garrand posted:

Star wars, Anita Sarkeesian, let's have some zack snyder too
(not really, I just like bobvids and this tweet)

https://twitter.com/bobvids/status/1328772282005790720

Augh, god I hope that looks better in motion because it's so bland and colorless here. It's like we're back in 2009 with the endless release of brown military shooters again!

I never saw Justice League because my standards are only oh so slightly too high to watch that instead of 19 of the 23 Marvel movies, same reason I never got around to seeing Suicide Squad but the main villain being named Steppenwolf still trips me up because my only familiarity with that name is from the old Steppenwolf: The X-Creatures Project flash games.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

that is the kind of last second hard turn into wild poo poo i come here for, great post

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've tried rewriting this post about five times now but all I can say is that this is really dumb and the gravitational pull of people capitalizing on Sarkesian tweets has meant that even my youtube subscription feed of historical armour and HEMA practitioners are losing their poo poo over this debate.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

Why do you do this

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Max Wilco posted:

trap, and I cannot be clear enough here, sprung

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

when a girl walks in with an itty bitty waist and an opinion in your face, trap gets sprung

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

nine-gear crow posted:

And honestly, can you blame her for being a bit salty? Why should she be the one to show decorum when a bunch of loving crybabies pitch a poo poo fit every time she so much as breathes in public?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh gently caress, you're right, I remember this. I seem to recall that Ben Shapiro and the core clique of embarrassments from Turning Points USA like Diaper Boy, Black Woman Hitler Fan, and the AR-15 Prom Date Girl would encourage people to do this purely to... own the libs?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

If I was Anita I would spend my entire time tweeting just slightly incorrect takes, then basking in the warm glow of impotent nerd rage with a nice bottle of wine.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Bug Squash posted:

If I was Anita I would spend my entire time tweeting just slightly incorrect takes, then basking in the warm glow of impotent nerd rage with a nice bottle of wine.

no then she'd be stealing Gail Simone's bit and she probably wouldn't be as good at it as her

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Alaois posted:

no then she'd be stealing Gail Simone's bit and she probably wouldn't be as good at it as her

to be fair Simone is basically top level 'my favorite Star Trek captain was Worf' slightly wrong nerd rage triggers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

to be fair Simone is basically top level 'my favorite Star Trek captain was Worf' slightly wrong nerd rage triggers.

cyclops' heat vision