Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I mean, I get Anita being a little peeved at like 1k comments mostly being sexist derivatives and her tweets likely do apply to almost all of the ire coming her way

I can also still think it's kinda lovely to throw the blacksmiths/armorers/military who were just like "hey cool history lesson here about this given this came up" under the bus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
nerd gatekeeping is so funny.

You like this thing that I like?

no you don't! Stop! You don't like it, you don't even know what it is!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Junpei Hyde posted:

Why do you do this?

I don't know. Maybe I'm just a brain-dead moron, who can't fully comprehend anything. Or maybe it's because I can't read a room, and I keep thinking that this will be the time that one of my poo poo takes will be accepted.

Here's a question to you: Why haven't you thread-banned me yet? It's clear you and probably half the thread want me to gently caress off. Hell, I keep telling myself to just ignore the thread, but I still feel compelled to check it every day to see what people are talking about.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Casey Finnigan posted:

But for all nerd poo poo, on repeat forever.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

You legit should probably stop posting in this thread because your cycle of doing/saying/endorsing something kinda lovely, getting some minor blowback for it, and then going "How DARE you think that I'M the villain here!" is getting tired as poo poo...

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

I don't know. Maybe I'm just a brain-dead moron, who can't fully comprehend anything. Or maybe it's because I can't read a room, and I keep thinking that this will be the time that one of my poo poo takes will be accepted.

Here's a question to you: Why haven't you thread-banned me yet? It's clear you and probably half the thread want me to gently caress off. Hell, I keep telling myself to just ignore the thread, but I still feel compelled to check it every day to see what people are talking about.

You can literally stop anytime.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

https://twitter.com/dril/status/247222360309121024

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Sydin posted:

But for all nerd poo poo, on repeat forever.

if you can't beat sekiro on ng+ 3, charmless, with the demon bell on you shouldn't be loving allowed to play... nay, to think about video games

no I am not trying to justify the time I have wasted

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Casey Finnigan posted:

"you can't really like Star Wars, you haven't even read the Heir to the Empire novels"

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Max Wilco posted:

Max, you seem to use this thread to self-harm (as we discussed many times before) so maybe just stick to lurking for a while, or maybe even just go cold turkey and remove this thread from your bookmarks until you're in a better head space, you know? :)

Take care of yourself bro :)

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Can I be slightly annoyed at Sarkeesian for having a real dumb take but also think foaming at the mouth about it is really stupid? Is that an option?

Anyway, today was a big day for Snyder content, and in the spirit of generosity (and spite) I come bearing content

https://youtu.be/4ciwO9zUYIE

Gwendolyn Jae Stone made a video called The People V Snyder, the case of fascist art.

It's good ,imo.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

McCloud posted:

Can I be slightly annoyed at Sarkeesian for having a real dumb take but also think foaming at the mouth about it is really stupid? Is that an option?

I thought that's what almost everyone here was thinking too.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

McCloud posted:

Anyway, today was a big day for Snyder content, and in the spirit of generosity (and spite) I come bearing content

https://youtu.be/4ciwO9zUYIE

Gwendolyn Jae Stone made a video called The People V Snyder, the case of fascist art.

It's good ,imo.

I dunno about good given how much of it is just being angry that someone disagrees with them about a director - and they continually break away from their own points to emphasize how they "no longer respect" said person because of this and go as far as to make up absurd extreme arguments to dunk on and go "Yeah you might as well have said that" to pat themselves on the back over. Like their take on Dawn of the Dead is fine, for example, and I enjoy hearing it. But when they frame it entirely through "gently caress you, you're wrong and I'm right! This can only be read one way!" it kind of undermines the whole point of the video I feel and makes it look super petty.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nuebot posted:

I dunno about good given how much of it is just being angry that someone disagrees with them about a director - and they continually break away from their own points to emphasize how they "no longer respect" said person because of this and go as far as to make up absurd extreme arguments to dunk on and go "Yeah you might as well have said that" to pat themselves on the back over. Like their take on Dawn of the Dead is fine, for example, and I enjoy hearing it. But when they frame it entirely through "gently caress you, you're wrong and I'm right! This can only be read one way!" it kind of undermines the whole point of the video I feel and makes it look super petty.

Yeah, coming out chainsaw blaring for Roger motherfucking Ebert and comparing his grown rear end adult understanding of a movie to their own teenage self trying to do the same is... certainly a note to start a video essay on.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Jamie Faith posted:

I thought that's what almost everyone here was thinking too.

The hive mind reaches consensus!!

Nuebot posted:

The part where they are "being angry at someone who disagrees with them" is about 5 minutes out of 60, let's not overexaggerate that

Second, the reason this video was made was because the discourse around Snyder has long been ridiculously hyperbolic and inflamed with ludicrous and baseless accusations about fascist propaganda, and even people who should have known better participated in it.
Recall the original thesis it rebuts re: dotd is "This movie is islamophobic" , which is hyperbolic nonsense at the face of it to begin with, but was still treated seriously until it's then claimed it's also homophobic, a farcical statement.

Edit: Roger Ebert was great, but even he had his bad judgment calls. Look no further than his review of Starship Troopers for proof of that

McCloud fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Nov 18, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alaois posted:

that is the kind of last second hard turn into wild poo poo i come here for, great post

If you give me something to respond to I just go off into weird tangents.

McCloud posted:

No, that's impossible. You can't have that opinion. As a matter of fact, you never had that opinion, the Old Ones ate it. It never existed anymore.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
imo there is more fertile ground w/r/t snyder and women re: suckerpunch than the fash stuff which is just superman/batman partner parcel

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

McCloud posted:

Second, the reason this video was made was because the discourse around Snyder has long been ridiculously hyperbolic and inflamed with ludicrous and baseless accusations about fascist propaganda, and even people who should have known better participated in it.
Recall the original thesis it rebuts re: dotd is "This movie is islamophobic" , which is hyperbolic nonsense at the face of it to begin with, but was still treated seriously until it's then claimed it's also homophobic, a farcical statement.

I mean Maggie Mae Fish made her claims and presented her ideas and the logic behind them well enough, this video does exactly what you do here: It just goes "you're wrong and this is stupid" then offers an alternate take, says it's the correct one and doesn't really explain why it should be taken any more seriously than the other one other than the insisted belief that the other one is wrong with the focus on being how bad and dumb the other person is rather than why their take even is what it is.

Just to stick to the comedic Ebert line of thought, they mention that Ebert was wrong and specifically cited Ebert saying that Snyder's dawn doesn't convey satirical anti-consumerism like the original did, and their only counterpoint on that is to talk very briefly about the guy who has a bunch of guns but gets killed because zombies snuck in through a doggie door; talking about how that's a satirical take on the American military and people. Which, sure, but that's not really a shot at consumerism? Like the guy has a pretty huge chip on his shoulder that people just find faults in Snyder's work and are therefore Wrong. And he's super sarcastic and bitter throughout the whole video as a result and it makes the video less enjoyable because he can't just let his own poo poo stand, it has to be in service of some big brained correct take.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Farg posted:

partner parcel

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i just feel like if the first twenty minutes of your four-hour essay are mostly "these particular persons are wrong" rather than "this is the film's intent" then you're clearly not approaching the material from a purely informational perspective.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

partner parcel is that game you play at christmas parties right

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
For all intensive purposes yes

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ghostlight posted:

i just feel like if the first twenty minutes of your four-hour essay are mostly "these particular persons are wrong" rather than "this is the film's intent" then you're clearly not approaching the material from a purely informational perspective.

I’m watching it right now and this is not really true.

They brought up Fish’s video like 3 times in the past 40 minutes I’ve watched it. And I dunnno I already got turned off from fish’s video right up front but if she did say dawn of the dead was blamed on homosexuality because a stupid insane preacher said it than lmfao

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

Are you alright?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Skip Intro with a video on The Wire for his copaganda series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOXQpkUhZyc&hd=1

Will the question "Is The Wire copaganda" finally be answered? Maybe.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

I know this has nothing to do with your post, but Gwen is a woman.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Who could have guessed that Gwen was not a man's name

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I wonder has Curio's video on Snyder come out of patreon yet? They really did a bang up job of it; also I can't wait for Hbomber's NV video

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Didn’t Anita defend the cards against humanity guy lmao

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
SovietWomble, mostly known for his amusing random bullshittery gameplay videos, has stepped his toes into video essays and released a three-parter on DayZ. I'm not too familiar with the game, but it's an interesting look into the development of DayZ, both the stand-alone and the original mod and how it enabled completely new genres to emerge.

You can find them here, here and here.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

They brought up Fish’s video like 3 times in the past 40 minutes I’ve watched it. And I dunnno I already got turned off from fish’s video right up front but if she did say dawn of the dead was blamed on homosexuality because a stupid insane preacher said it than lmfao

I thought it was clear that was just to work in the ‘when Hell is full the dead will walk the earth’ tag line from the original.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Who could have guessed that Gwen was not a man's name

I think there's some Welsh names that starts with Gwen.

Welsh sounds like a fun language.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MonsieurChoc posted:

I think there's some Welsh names that starts with Gwen.

Welsh sounds like a fun language.

The Welsh also think that DD makes a th sound.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

A surprising amount of people do get thrown for a loop by unreliable narrators in movies, especially if it isn't spelled out. To this day you'll still hear people who think that all the times Joker lied in Dark Knight are plot holes.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bug Squash posted:

A surprising amount of people do get thrown for a loop by unreliable narrators in movies, especially if it isn't spelled out. To this day you'll still hear people who think that all the times Joker lied in Dark Knight are plot holes.

is that better or worse than the people who believed all the lies uncritically

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

The Welsh also call cheese on toast "rabbit"

(Ok, rarebit. Close enough. Still baffling)

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Nuebot posted:

I'm surprised the big callout was "Oh no, boob armour" and not the fact that the lady mandalorians also had like, weirdly feminized visors as well which I don't think is a thing they've ever really done in star wars before? There've been plenty of women wearing mandalorian armour, and there've been more than one style of visor. But I can't recall off-hand any with that specific style of like, tapering shape that makes it look more like lady eyes. If it was any more cartoonish they would have given them eyelashes.

i think of the other random mandos had different helmets variations and Mando's helmet is kinda the default one.

McCloud posted:

sure. i know i do it and i will go farther. i think she did a great thing opening the door for critics and it sucks that she suffered for it because of dumb bullshit assholes. that being said. i think she has really weird dumb takes and goes too sex negative alot and she tends to use the "critqe what you love" line as a shield against legit criticisms, her stuff only took off when macintosh left. both of them dislike the Mandalorian show for dumb reasons so i am not shocked that she has dumb takes about it. that being said, people sending death threats to her over it are loving sacks of poo poo and her dumb hot take isnt worth making 2 hour videos over getting upset about.

that makes me honestly feel sorta bad for him. its clear he doesn't have friends and thinking he was respected and liked and friends with various people in his own delusions and than having them shattered like that. it needed to be done and lindsay was in the right but its sad seeing a almost 40 year old man act like he is still in high school.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 18, 2020

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that makes me honestly feel sorta bad for him. its clear he doesn't have friends and thinking he was respected and liked and friends with various people in his own delusions and than having them shattered like that. it needed to be done and lindsay was in the right but its sad seeing a almost 40 year old man act like he is still in high school.

I get the impression that he doesn't realize that all those friends were imagined. But rather that they were real and were all taken from him.

Has he done any introspection at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

All he had to do was not post in favor of genocide.