Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Biowarfare posted:

I don't have the time to take PTO and I can't cash it out to $ at hourly rate. I'm almost certainly working all holidays. To be honest, I like my team, and I took that oncall first-page because they have things like kids to take care of, I just have League of Legends to take care of.

I entirely plan on going snowboarding with expensed hotspots from different carriers on Christmas. If the lifts are too crowded, I'll probably just snowshoe instead.

Just like the time I went to a multi-day music festival with a laptop and five hotspots while on-call. Why is it so noisy at 3 AM when I got paged? It's a screaming shirtless dude on acid eating cheese fries while someone is blasting Tiesto two tents down on a speaker system connected to a generator.

You have the time to take PTO. Nobody is so important that they don't have time to take PTO.

Take your PTO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sickening posted:

You have the time to take PTO. Nobody is so important that they don't have time to take PTO.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
ok fine i'll use a day on the 27th

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Obligatory European comment: What the actual gently caress, people!

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
For real. Work isn't that cool. Live your life.

Irritated Goat posted:

My current $job gives 2 weeks accrued over the year BUT if you miss work for any reason, they use your PTO to get you to 40 hours\week. :psyduck: Oh, and they also want you to take a week off every year due to financial regulations. I found out it's optional actually but mine enforces it.

This is terrible. What kinda hellcompany do you work for?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Wibla posted:

Commies out

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

i am a moron posted:

For real. Work isn't that cool. Live your life.

This is terrible. What kinda hellcompany do you work for?

Local Credit Union :sigh:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd be more interested in taking time off if there was anything I could do with my time except sit in the exact same house at the exact same desk waiting for the pandemic to get under control.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Wibla posted:

is this still accurate or has the US made any changes lately

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Biowarfare posted:

is this still accurate or has the US made any changes lately

Sadly still very accurate.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I'm not saying anyone should do this, but I take random time off now to just kinda relax and reset. Took the afternoon to do an easy hike at a big park around here with my phone turned off. Felt good.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

i am a moron posted:

I'm not saying anyone should do this, but I take random time off now to just kinda relax and reset. Took the afternoon to do an easy hike at a big park around here with my phone turned off. Felt good.

Too many Bobs not wearing masks.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

i am a moron posted:

I'm not saying anyone should do this, but I Please take random time off now as often as you can to just kinda relax and reset. Took the afternoon to do an easy hike at a big park around here with my phone turned off. Felt good.

FTFY :sun:

J
Jun 10, 2001

Random days off with no real plans are mental health days and they are important and you should take them regularly during the process of using up all of your PTO for the year, every year. Also disconnect from work as much as possible - shut your phone off, don't read emails, etc. It can wait. Really.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

xzzy posted:

Too many Bobs not wearing masks.

There is a guy in the office today who is constantly snorting and sniffling and blowing his nose.

He does not have a mask on.

He is sitting one cube over and across the wall.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I pretty much turn my phone off and go for a walk every single lunchtime. During standard hours someone else will deal with it, not my problem.

Trails, parks, etc are absolutely packed with unmasked idiots, people running and heavy panting without a mask, etc. Not much else to do.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Yea I don't have to deal with that because I'm not in a super dense area. It was still crazy how many trails, parks, etc. have had empty parking lots basically always for years around here that were suddenly overflowing with people this summer.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Take a day off and spend it playing video games if you want, who gives a poo poo, just make sure you don't log into the work email or pick your phone up.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
just take the loving pto, bio

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
I can carry over 144 hours, and anything over and above that gets paid out. I can also cash out PTO anytime I want to.

I'm underpaid and don't get a ton (144 hours of combined sick/vacation, plus 3-4 floating holidays), but the flexibility is nice. If I stick around another 6 months, the following year I'll get 168 hours instead of 144 (though I'd rather go somewhere else and get paid more).

I have 200 hours right now, due to a COVID-related vacation cancellation. Hoping international travel kicks up early next year, and I can take a desperately-needed trip, but I'm not holding my breath.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I have "unlimited" PTO, which means I haven't taken any yet this year. loving America.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I'm here to regretfully report that in the age of social distancing and PPE, some brave souls are not going to let that keep them from behaving like knuckle dragging cavemen.

Today a manufacturers' rep in for a new product run told my employee that he really liked her nails and he wanted to let her dig them into his back later.

:wtc:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Oh my god barracuda broke their SSO login with portal update and I am locked out of everything till tomorrow fffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkkkk

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

tactlessbastard posted:

I'm here to regretfully report that in the age of social distancing and PPE, some brave souls are not going to let that keep them from behaving like knuckle dragging cavemen.

Today a manufacturers' rep in for a new product run told my employee that he really liked her nails and he wanted to let her dig them into his back later.

WTF! I am going to guess that you are on the phone with said reps boss right now?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

Not me. I'm an idiot.

Bob Morales alt spotted

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

I'm very fortunate that my company allows up to 400 hours to roll over each fiscal year. Summer time is a constant game of people taking time off so they don't lose any. Sick time accrues up to an unlimited amount and you can donate hours to a sick leave pool for those people who need to take an extended amount of time off for medical.

I could honestly make a bit more money elsewhere, but the vacation and sick policies are loving terrible elsewhere.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
My most treasured moment is getting a company to change their terrible 3 days of sick leave/yr policy as a condition of my offer and then turning them down.

I’m glad to work at a place that has decent sick leave and, more importantly, forces everyone to pay for short term and long term disability insurance. A buddy of mine has been on LTD for six months now, and while unfortunately the rest of the people on the IT team hate him for it, I’m glad that he’s at least getting some income while working on getting better.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Woof Blitzer posted:

I rag on this company a lot, but they are letting everyone carry over 40hrs of vacation to 2021. That's pretty cool.

Da fuq? If you accrue your 2-3-4 weeks of vacation (or whatever) you are only allowed to bank 40 hours the next year? What kind of bullshit is that?

edit: admittedly one should always take all of one's vacation every year...

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Agrikk posted:

Da fuq? If you accrue your 2-3-4 weeks of vacation (or whatever) you are only allowed to bank 40 hours the next year? What kind of bullshit is that?

What I've seen at some companies, long time ago, were people with a year or more of accrued vacation. That meant that they either had to take off a long amount of time (haha, no, they are not replaceable, the entire company stands on a person not getting hit by a bus, glad you asked) or the company had to pay them a shitton of money (1.5x their normal rate? or more). Easier and a ton cheaper to just make policies that you can't bank more than X hours for the next year or lose them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Agrikk posted:

I have a coworker that hit like 300 hrs and they won’t let him bank anymore

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

tactlessbastard posted:

The rep was marched off the property and banned for life, right?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

I’m glad to work at a place that has decent sick leave and, more importantly, forces everyone to pay for short term and long term disability insurance. A buddy of mine has been on LTD for six months now, and while unfortunately the rest of the people on the IT team hate him for it, I’m glad that he’s at least getting some income while working on getting better.

We don't have sick leave but we have short & long term disability plus a 50k life insurance policy, which is nice. Doesn't come out of our paychecks either, it's just a thing that's included.

Other than that I have absolutely nothing good to say about my company :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I've been on 80% and 100% sick leave since late August due to burnout and lingering covid. It hasn't affected my paycheck at all beyond not working some overtime that was planned. I can't imagine how much shittier my situation would have been if I had to eat a significant pay cut as well...

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

tactlessbastard posted:

I would love to talk with this gentleman. I want to know what his expected outcome was. Was it, "You hot sex machine. You are so sexy and clever with words, how could I NOT sleep with you? Let's go. Right now."

I mean, in the history of humanity has that kid of approach ever worked?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i bet it worked once for one guy, somewhere, in 1918 and generations of gross dudes have been trying it ever since

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Weatherman posted:

The rep was marched off the property and banned for life, right?

No, I gave him a high five :rolleyes:

Of course I threw him out and told his company to never send him back

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I have 94 hours of sick time and I'm waiting for us to get more staff before I use it

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Whelp, GoDaddy having an outage. Looks like for at least a couple hours. Must be real bad, when I called the support line it played on-hold music for about 30 seconds then disconnected. Nothing is resolving, someone really must have hosed up DNS

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

tactlessbastard posted:

No, I gave him a high five :rolleyes:

Of course I threw him out and told his company to never send him back

That's great, but just to be clear my question was in the context of "many garbage companies are so focussed on the dollar signs that they'll put up with this poo poo lest they lose a contract/business relationship, and will ignore your report or overrule you", not "you're a goon" :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ratmtattat posted:

I'm very fortunate that my company allows up to 400 hours to roll over each fiscal year. Summer time is a constant game of people taking time off so they don't lose any. Sick time accrues up to an unlimited amount and you can donate hours to a sick leave pool for those people who need to take an extended amount of time off for medical.

That's better than us for PTO (18 days a year, 1 personal, 230 hours accrual max on PTO) and possibly better than us on sick days. We don't actually have six days. What I have are six "incidents". If I call out, it's an incident. If I call out for more than three consecutive days I need a doctor's note to come back. At, iirc, two weeks HR starts talking about sick leave (possibly paid) and other accommodations. If I was exploiting this policy, I'd have 18 "sick days" a year. As it is, I have full confidence that properly recuperating from a cold or flu won't cost me much.

At the MSP I converted from, they gave 6 sick days and wouldn't give more because "people will use them". They also had a "don't come to work if you're sick policy" so yeah, nice. Half the staff on-site worked in close quarters and you were guaranteed two or three cilds a year, good luck with the severity, hope nothing else happens.