Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Phobeste posted:

apparently electron apps will have their performance significantly (source formatting) degraded under rosetta 2, and electron apps may interact badly with fat apps and fully double in size instead of just duplicating the actual binaries (that's a guess) lol

on the other hand you should be able to use the ios version of those apps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

lol chrome icon just joined the useless white rectangle club. guess its time to start janitoring my icons again

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
...which is also a horrible experience because touch UIs and mice/trackpads don't really mix

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

gently caress i really want a mac mini and i have almost no use case for it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

is there such a thing as a USB C hub that just has more USB C ports?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

gently caress i really want a mac mini and i have almost no use case for it

great, you’re exactly the target demo for apple silicon macs

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

qirex posted:

is there such a thing as a USB C hub that just has more USB C ports?

It's actually near impossible to find ones that have >2 ports.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

It's actually near impossible to find ones that have >2 ports.
port of the future, folks!

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/owc-thunderbolt-hub apparently such a thing is now possible

maybe only for tb4 or usb4? who knows

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

TwoDice posted:

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/owc-thunderbolt-hub apparently such a thing is now possible

maybe only for tb4 or usb4? who knows

so close and then they go and put some dumb-assed barrel connector on it for power

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
i want a 12 mini but it feels like I just bought the 11

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Juul-Whip posted:

the real 12 mini has brushed aluminum finish. that photo must be some kind of leaked prototype or model but it appears to be the same size and shape as the real mini

yeah it is a nonfunctional model ostensibly intended for case development

I’m planning on keeping my og se for as long as is practical, but the 12 mini looks like a promising replacement when the time comes

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Raluek posted:

yeah it is a nonfunctional model ostensibly intended for case development

I’m planning on keeping my og se for as long as is practical, but the 12 mini looks like a promising replacement when the time comes

its a bit bigger than I would like but it is a very worthy successor to the SE

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
no touch id. more screen space than an se. lame

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Installed Big Slur. It looks weird.

e: guess my monitor was off

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
big sir is the best looking os in years

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Silver Alicorn posted:

big sir is the best looking os in years

weird to call timb an os

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5ib4oo5pPQ

finally the iphone mac

as stebe intended

coke
Jul 12, 2009
lol @ people buying a laptop with chips from a mobile phone instead of real, powerful desktop class or workstation class cpu

also at this rate apple will catch up to nvidia's high end gpu in about 10 years

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

coke posted:

lol @ people buying a laptop with chips from a mobile phone instead of real, powerful desktop class or workstation class cpu

also at this rate apple will catch up to nvidia's high end gpu in about 10 years

source your ars technica quotes

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the old struggle of manly gas guzzlers vs wimpy econoboxes, but with computers

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

coke posted:

post your laptop with workstation cpu and high end nvidia gpu. and its battery life.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

these SOCs seem good to me

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Hmm the x86 benchmarks are really good. I’m going to have to switch back to lovely macos aren’t I

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Verge reviewer said he had to run the cine bench benchmark for ten minutes before the fan would even turn on. No way I can stick to a lovely x86 with that out there

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

PleasureKevin posted:

these SOCs seem good to me
soc my balls lol

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

MeruFM posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5ib4oo5pPQ

finally the iphone mac

as stebe intended

drat, this is what I was imagining.

there's not use benchmarking, it just pops up.

close yospos.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

soc my balls lol

already did

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
those bullshit "news" websites imply the M1 is good

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

echinopsis posted:

those bullshit "news" websites imply the M1 is good

i wish trump would hurry up and tweet his opinion on apple silicon, i’m floundering here

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tbqh i think a lot of the more fervent fans are a bit deflated with the m1 news, since it appears less magically beastly and more like a zen3-tier processor built with a better and more expensive process. but that was probably always the best possible outcome, there likely is no real leap forward to be made in design that'd let anyone get miles ahead of everyone else.

still means that apple will have a large performance advantage (at that tier) for some time, as pc laptops don't even get zen3, everyone satisfied to cram whatever intel poops out into every single design.

plus the seemingly excellent gpu which is getting very little noise comparatively.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I think that’s a pretty good take on things though the fan / noise sitch is still an ace imo. Apple has always been tops on power draw esp on desktops. I’m less sure about the laptops.

either way yeah should be a while before everyone catches up

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
I'm more curious about the 15"+ class and running some models locally (without using apples framework).

But I guess it will still hold up very well, seeing as my wife's i9 seems to run throttled just a few minutes after boot.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
looks like i’m going to get the m1 macbook air

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

looks like i’m going to get the m1 macbook air
it looks real good kenneth

they didn’t sneak the lovely no-travel keys back in did they?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

tbqh i think a lot of the more fervent fans are a bit deflated with the m1 news, since it appears less magically beastly and more like a zen3-tier processor built with a better and more expensive process. but that was probably always the best possible outcome, there likely is no real leap forward to be made in design that'd let anyone get miles ahead of everyone else.

still means that apple will have a large performance advantage (at that tier) for some time, as pc laptops don't even get zen3, everyone satisfied to cram whatever intel poops out into every single design.

plus the seemingly excellent gpu which is getting very little noise comparatively.

the anand tech M1 benchmarks really show how hosed intel is, everyone else is just miles ahead of them.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
anyone got an ETA for the M2 macs

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
just had https://www.stormfront.co.uk/ pop up in my google results and lolled once again

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Soricidus posted:

just had https://www.stormfront.co.uk/ pop up in my google results and lolled once again

i private windowed that link because i'd never seen the site before but that's p lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

jesus WEP posted:

it looks real good kenneth

they didn’t sneak the lovely no-travel keys back in did they?
it’s “””magic keyboard””” which is probably not quite as good as my 2013 mba kb but simply has to be better than my 2018 mba kb

lot of review complaints about how nothing much changed but the silicon but frankly i want to take as little gamble on “first gen” hardware as possible so this old/new composite works for me