Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the devs have put a loooot of time and energy into the worlds, I can't remember if discovery mode was free or something? that was why I got origins in the first place. didn't like it at first as disliked the intro, wasnt until went over the ridge into siwa that I was like woooow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

mediaphage posted:

I never got into the asscreed games but the low key wander around history mode of one of them sounded pretty neat, is it worth futzing with?

If you buy the bases game its as cheap as you could ask for

Odyssey: https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/assassins-creed-odyssey-pc/

Origins: https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/assassins-creed-origins/

Origins is even cheaper than I got it for here :eyepop: Your choice if you want to explore ancient egypt or greece. Egypt / Origins had a 'tour mode' as well where you could walk to waypoints and it would give you some historical context, not sure if Odyssey has that. edit: yes it does

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3438382/assassins-creed-odyssey-discovery-tour-mode.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh4Iy-p943M

Ps. Kassandra is the canon Odyssey protagonist, pls don't choose the Guy for your playthrough.

I really wish they would hack in a dual view for a simple VR view for the discovery modes, the proper human scale of the grand monuments in both games would be a lot more apparent in stereo vision.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Nov 18, 2020

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

being alexios is cool because odyssey probably the best AAA game out there for roleplaying a big gay himbo

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

xpostin

Lord Lambeth posted:

https://twitter.com/zakiyama8618412/status/1328732777315926019

edit: not sure if this is glitch but I'm leaving it because it's funny

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

echinopsis posted:

It's very good. I only wish the games had been made in the other order so that egypt had had a slighty better engine and attention to detail. some places in the desert in origins are good.. and the fact you can see the pyramids from almost anywhere on the map? and the variety of terrain? and bayek? and bayeks hot as gently caress wife?

viking simulator that I am playing now is more different from the last two than the last two were from each other. I've been playing for almost ten hours or maybe more and I am still using the same equipement I got in the first hour. so far it's feeling kinda grindy, basically have to raid enemy bases to get building materials to build my own home town, because there ain't just horses everywhere and I don't have a horse yet and only just got a blacksmith.

just want more progress and may burn out who'll find out

I like the combat in viking game much better than the last two, not sure why as the basic controls are pretty much the same, egypt game was better in most other ways, greek game didn't really click with me

my favorite story beat in viking game so far is when the assassin apprentice that's been studying his target for months gets murked in half a second

quote:

, because there ain't just horses everywhere and I don't have a horse yet

even though there is no tutorial or mission segment telling you, you can summon a horse at any time using the down-button wheel
I just unlocked the blacksmith as well

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i kinda want an asscreed game for something thats like actually never done for video games, like great zimbabwe or pueblo peeps or something like that

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i kinda want an asscreed game for something thats like actually never done for video games, like great zimbabwe or pueblo peeps or something like that

this was part of the original pitch for the AC games, which is why they haven't done one set in japan yet. and I think they've kept it up pretty well, there aren't a lot of games set in the crusades or ancient egypt or revolutionary france or etc

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

songhai and khmer empires would be cool

i didn't finished odyssey, i think i got like 50% through (like almost 780 hrs) and still had like 100-hrs to go and just uninstalled. way too mcuh of it felt copy+pasted, too big for it's own good with nothing variable, only a couple sides were any good and most were bland. it also didn't feel as immersive as Origins which I actually did finish. imo the best way to play AssCreed games are on edibles as a long-sesh because you can just immerse and try to imagine living up ancient lyfe on a rickety straw boat or whatever, and it makes up for some of the asscreed tedium. idk if i'll play valhalla though, the formula is barely tweaked and overbearing in it's ability to exhaust you out. maybe next year sometime

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there should be shorter higher priced and better written games for adults who have jobs and stuff but i also have a suspicion that neets would descend upon you if you made such a game and actually literally try to kill you

game as game and game as dissociative drug i guess

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

there should be shorter higher priced and better written games for adults who have jobs and stuff but i also have a suspicion that neets would descend upon you if you made such a game and actually literally try to kill you

game as game and game as dissociative drug i guess

those exist they're usually just indie games. like Outer Wilds (not the garbage obsidian game), Disco Elysium, Hypnospace Outlaw, Talos Principal are pretty short-n-sweet; and even the AAA sphere games like Prey and Dishonored-- and arguebly doom 2016 are not long and short-n-sweet.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
hellblade

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
also would like to draw attention to a yosspossy as gently caress Cyberpunk First-Person Hotline Miami game, Ghostrunner, that just came out https://store.steampowered.com/app/1139900/Ghostrunner/

it's pretty great. very great dystopia decaying megatower cyberpunk environment, good music, and very meaty combat. just a note that it is not an action-game, it's a puzzle game and ahs a lot of first-person wall-running and dahs-jumping onto more walls and grappling onto new platforms before sliding down a gap jumping over a rotating blade and timestopping a wheel dashing at the last minute. Kind of like Titanfall 2. The combat itself is very Hotline Miami in that it's also puzzle-like, you kill in one hit, you die in 1 hit, so it's about coming in fast and hot from above and behind and grappling away to swoop back down and finish off more of the. If you die you just press "R" and instantly reloads your state back within like 10 milliseconds--no "loading level" again or anything which is great and more games should that so dying isn't frustrating because its just a simple "R" and back to trying to stab dudes.

i clocked in beating it at 6.8 hrs--prob could have beat it in 6-hrs, so it's also a short-n-sweet "i dont have time for open-world nonsense" game

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

haveblue posted:

this was part of the original pitch for the AC games, which is why they haven't done one set in japan yet. and I think they've kept it up pretty well, there aren't a lot of games set in the crusades or ancient egypt or revolutionary france or etc
there's so many things they could do, southeast asia if they want another pirate one, india, china, japan is pretty obvious, those old empres in west africa

the viking thing seems dumb to me because my primary joy in asscreed is climbing around on famous monumental architecture and they made a setting for valhalla where a 5 story building was high technology

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

qirex posted:

there's so many things they could do, southeast asia if they want another pirate one, india, china, japan is pretty obvious, those old empres in west africa

the viking thing seems dumb to me because my primary joy in asscreed is climbing around on famous monumental architecture and they made a setting for valhalla where a 5 story building was high technology
yeah this kinda limits them and thats partly why AC3 was pretty poo poo (amongst many many reasons). AC4 didnt really have much tall iconic poo poo but it made up for it in that it was basically Pirates! game (i wish it had been it's own stand-alone thing and expanded boat upgrades, ship warfare, dancing, trading and more Pirates!-y things instead of asscreed things)

walking around a re-created Tenochtitlan capital or han dynasty would be pretty rad. in particular an Tenochtitlan/aztec one would be fun getting to kill spanish pigs but it'll never happen lol

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

qirex posted:

climbing mountains in the starting map was fun for a bit, but yeah

we'll see how long-boating down a river on the english countryside to go gently caress up some monks holds my attention

it's fun for now

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I was so mad when I finished syndicate and realized they weren't going to make me do an elaborate goonies parkour deathtrap race inside st. paul's

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
halo 4 came out on PC for MCC, and I'm playing it for the first time. it really does not hold up well compared to the bungie games when you play them back to back. bad music, weird weapon balance like making grenades useless, boring level design, cortana goes full nude for some reason. the AI is noticeably better though.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

The Fool posted:

I like the combat in viking game much better than the last two, not sure why as the basic controls are pretty much the same

I think they've tweaked it to make the enemies less damage spongey. I feel like it takes a third as many hits to kill someone in the viking one, which was one of my main complaints about odyssey

(the other one being that they took Melos, the site of the best-known part of Thucydides' History of the Peloponnesian War, and made it into a rock with battle royale contest on it. No quest line where you participate in the Melian dialogue. Not even a settlement. what the gently caress)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

songhai and khmer empires would be cool

i didn't finished odyssey, i think i got like 50% through (like almost 780 hrs) and still had like 100-hrs to go and just uninstalled. way too mcuh of it felt copy+pasted, too big for it's own good with nothing variable, only a couple sides were any good and most were bland. it also didn't feel as immersive as Origins which I actually did finish. imo the best way to play AssCreed games are on edibles as a long-sesh because you can just immerse and try to imagine living up ancient lyfe on a rickety straw boat or whatever, and it makes up for some of the asscreed tedium. idk if i'll play valhalla though, the formula is barely tweaked and overbearing in it's ability to exhaust you out. maybe next year sometime

i finished (main story)odyssey kinda suddenly. felt like heaps to go but maybe just heaps left to do that wasn’t main story

def don’t give a poo poo about getting 100% or achievements

the free running part is just the background now. wish they could tweak it and make it more fluid tho, like as you approach things a button element comes up and if you press it then you do a cool smooth parkour thing rather than a disjointed run of bullshit

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

echinopsis posted:

i finished (main story)odyssey kinda suddenly. felt like heaps to go but maybe just heaps left to do that wasn’t main story

def don’t give a poo poo about getting 100% or achievements

the free running part is just the background now. wish they could tweak it and make it more fluid tho, like as you approach things a button element comes up and if you press it then you do a cool smooth parkour thing rather than a disjointed run of bullshit

thats why i specifically thought of great zimbabwe and the puebloans, cuz they have interesting as hell architecture

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

new spelunky 2 patch, trying to get all the shortcuts before making a real go at it

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Xaris posted:

those exist they're usually just indie games. like Outer Wilds (not the garbage obsidian game), Disco Elysium, Hypnospace Outlaw, Talos Principal are pretty short-n-sweet; and even the AAA sphere games like Prey and Dishonored-- and arguebly doom 2016 are not long and short-n-sweet.
Spider-Man is one of the shortest main plots in an open world action game I’ve ever played and it’s a lot better for it

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Ruiner is a cyberpunk isometric shooter (like Hades) with a cool soundtrack and aesthetic. ~9 hour game, wish it was longer

https://store.steampowered.com/app/464060/

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

I have 16h in death stranding, just unlocked antigrav cart and safehouses, game states that this is the 50% of the way, is that true? I thought it will be longer and seems quite short imo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the completion percentage is deceptive, you may be 50% of the way through the plot but you can always put the plot on hold to do infrastructure and get prepper stars which represents a huge amount of time and content

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

haveblue posted:

the completion percentage is deceptive, you may be 50% of the way through the plot but you can always put the plot on hold to do infrastructure and get prepper stars which represents a huge amount of time and content

I had 72 hours into Skyrim before I killed a dragon and got power words, it made the memes all suddenly make sense

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

mediaphage posted:

I had 72 hours into Skyrim before I killed a dragon and got power words, it made the memes all suddenly make sense
same. i moved the story up till just before dragons come back and then did a bunch of sidequests without being harassed and broke the difficulty of the game lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I tried playing Skyrim recently and couldn't get past the combat. It just feels so clunky especially with the instant kill/deaths animations that happen randomly.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I tried playing Skyrim recently and couldn't get past the combat. It just feels so clunky especially with the instant kill/deaths animations that happen randomly.

you can turn those off iirc. or maybe that was part of a mod

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

If I ever play Skyrim again I'm probably going to find some cheat/quickstart that dumps you into the world with the ability to learn shouts without having to do high hrothgar and that giant crypt yet again

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
skyrim in vr is really something, especially hand aiming for bows and spells

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

what are the good shouts in skyrim? apart from fus ro da. the one that lets you see every living thing is pretty great. aura whisper i think? that’s the one i used most

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

jesus WEP posted:

what are the good shouts in skyrim? apart from fus ro da. the one that lets you see every living thing is pretty great. aura whisper i think? that’s the one i used most

One of the ones from the dusty DLC island was p.deece maybe?

:shrug:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the marked for death shout was great as a filthy sneakthief using duel wield daggers including mehrunes razor. so many ways to instakill, severely weaken, and land multiple hits in the first few seconds of combat

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Kenny Logins posted:

same. i moved the story up till just before dragons come back and then did a bunch of sidequests without being harassed and broke the difficulty of the game lol

agreedo. all elder scrolls games are best played by reaching the middle of the story, ignoring it for 80 hours, then batting away the end boss in an instant like the nerevarine you are

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

jesus WEP posted:

i always play a meathead fighter in these games, so i used the one that makes you attack faster. the one that forces dragons to land is very good. i don't think it was all that useful, but the one that summons The Lost Vikings to fight for you is pretty fun

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
got assodd off your link nmn installing today. i don't think i've played an asscreed since the very first one on the 360 with kristin bell. do they have an overarching story i should give a poo poo about?

e: comes with an ubisoft launcher service and i already have iii remastered and syndicate somehow. worth installing?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

do they have an overarching story i should give a poo poo about?

no

quote:

i already have iii remastered and syndicate somehow. worth installing?

3 is generally regarded as one of the worst of the series

syndicate is supposed to be ok but it uses the pre-origins game design where it was less of an RPG and more of a historical GTA with parkour

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 19, 2020

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

do they have an overarching story i should give a poo poo about?

emphatically no

they are best played by actively avoiding as much modern day story as you can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Agile Vector posted:

agreedo. all elder scrolls games are best played by reaching the middle of the story, ignoring it for 80 hours, then batting away the end boss in an instant like the nerevarine you are