Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Just wait for the Zen 2 equivalent of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

it can't even run quake

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

shrike82 posted:

Just wait for the Zen 2 equivalent of this

Yeah, to me RDNA2 is B- as a current NVIDIA competitor (given my weightings of DLSS/RT/etc) but A+ as a sign that the Koduri Kurse is lifted and they can do good work again.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Unrelated: is the AMD set bonus just the resizable BAR stuff that NVIDIA is going to roll out across both vendors’ CPUs?

yep

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, to me RDNA2 is B- as a current NVIDIA competitor (given my weightings of DLSS/RT/etc) but A+ as a sign that the Koduri Kurse is lifted and they can do good work again.

Same. I was kinda dreading that my 3070 would turn out to be a garbage purchase, but given the performance gains from DLSS with RT I'm still pretty happy with my purchase.

Here's hoping AMD can catch up RT performance for RDNA3 and simultaneously push NVIDIA even further with Hopper :pcgaming:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

VorpalFish posted:

Some pretty nice work by AMD.

I dunno, at 700+ Euros I expect a GPU to have at least a 384bit memory bus. They just drove up the price 100 bucks by slapping on memory (and that cache thing) you can't use anyway.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 18, 2020

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Well the 6800XT performs better than I think most people expected. It's a legit 3080 competitor with (as we knew) way more VRAM.
The uplift over the 5700XT is utterly comical. I don't think most people expected AMD to leapfrog a generation in the way they have done.
If you don't give much of a poo poo about DLSS or ray tracing performance, it's a definite toss-up; AMD's only other problem being the looming cloud of black screens and driver troubles of the previous gen.
I hope they can break away from that reputation, because it looks like they've built a solid card this time, hell, it's even more power efficient than 3080.
I'd consider one for sure if I needed a card, but I'm personally going to ride out my 1080 Ti until it's useless.

Here's Steve's review, and here's Steve's review.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 18, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
is this a case of poor nvidia optimization or great amd optimization (assuming no shenanigans)? this is with rt

from
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMz-5uP8sBw

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Predictably there's some teething problems with DXR, looks like some objects are being dropped from the BVH on RDNA2? Only in some games though.

https://twitter.com/KeithPlaysPC/status/1329067058252886016

sauer kraut posted:

I dunno, at 700+ Euros I expect a GPU to have at least a 384bit memory bus. They just drove up the price 100 bucks by slapping on memory you can't use.

Eh, the massive on-chip cache mostly makes up for the narrow bus

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

sauer kraut posted:

I dunno, at 700+ Euros I expect a GPU to have at least a 384bit memory bus. They just drove up the price 100 bucks by slapping on memory (and that cache thing) you can't use anyway.

If bus width is the only metric that matters as opposed to actual in-game performance, we should all switch to old HBM Radeons with 4096-bit interfaces. Hell, 384-bit? Why not go back to the 2900XT with 512-bit? They've slapped that expensive cache on there, as repiv says, for a reason.

vvv Heheh, I'm surprised this hasn't happened before, we've been going round in circles with naming. May be a good time to sell one of those old cards with a plausibly high price, and let some botter take it off your hands

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 18, 2020

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/SM1ThaYe/status/1329067923374301187

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Performance wise it seems as good as I expected/wanted it to be. Too bad, I literally couldn't place an order for one. Nvidia wins by default. Again. :confuoot:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Did anyone actually snag one of the new cards this morning

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Also appears most of the "beats 3080" performance is with SAM, so assume it largely goes away when Nvidia figures out their poo poo with it. Which... cool, right? Free upgrade for everyone.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
Having just snagged an RTX 3070, I wish I had enough time and money to grab an RX 6800 too. Of course that'd be contingent on actually being able to source one... but for now it'll be RTX 3070 on my Windows machine, Vega Frontier Edition in my Linux box. C'mon, ROCm, get RDNA(2) working already.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

sauer kraut posted:

Bus width is a pretty weird criteria for purchase as opposed to actual in game performance, but you do you man.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
So what's the process for losers like me who weren't able to get this new card at launch? How have people been getting 3080s? Just sitting on sites and hitting F5 now and then or are there proper pre-order processes somewhere?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Rinkles posted:

is this a case of poor nvidia optimization or great amd optimization (assuming no shenanigans)? this is with rt

I'm not sure about Dirt but you also have to look at what RT features exist in the game. The 6800XT compares favorably in Benchmark of the Tomb Raider for example but that's because it only has ray-traced shadows.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

bus hustler posted:

Also appears most of the "beats 3080" performance is with SAM, so assume it largely goes away when Nvidia figures out their poo poo with it. Which... cool, right? Free upgrade for everyone.

I wouldn't say that; there were some shocking outliers like rear end Creed: Valhalla where AMD won by loads for no apparent reason, but generally 1080p performance seems to somewhat favour the AMD card, 1440p generally a toss-up, and 4K going the majority of the time to NVIDIA.
Of course, once you bring ray tracing in to the mix, then the AMD card seems to perform a bit like a 2080 Ti, from what I saw, which is to say pretty badly compared to 3080, and of course DLSS vs native results will naturally make the AMD card look like dogshit.
None of the main results I saw were done using SAM, and I didn't base my opinion on the SAM results, even though they were interesting. Like you say, it's best to wait to see if NVIDIA also delivers the same performance gain

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 18, 2020

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I'm not sure about Dirt but you also have to look at what RT features exist in the game.

DIRT 5 is supposed to have raytraced shadows but I don't think it's been patched in yet, being an AMD partnered game they were probably sitting on it until AMD launched their RT cards

Likewise for Godfall, the other AMD-partnered game with raytracing

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

HalloKitty posted:

None of the main results I saw were done using SAM, and I didn't base my opinion on the SAM results, even though they were interesting. Like you say, it's best to wait to see if NVIDIA also delivers the same performance gain

I thought they'd have _some_ cards to sell, but my thought is: if you have to devote your life to getting one, why would you make it the AMD product?

But nobody was expecting I think even this jump, it bodes well for RDNA3, I dont think we were really expecting them to be even. Just a decent value... I think they need to drop the price like $50 on each model but no way they will

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Memory is like a series of tubes and it gets clogged if the bus is too narrow!!!

HalloKitty posted:

Well the 6800XT performs better than I think most people expected. It's a legit 3080 competitor with (as we knew) way more VRAM.
The uplift over the 5700XT is utterly comical. I don't think most people expected AMD to leapfrog a generation in the way they have done.
If you don't give much of a poo poo about DLSS or ray tracing performance, it's a definite toss-up; AMD's only other problem being the looming cloud of black screens and driver troubles of the previous gen.
I hope they can break away from that reputation, because it looks like they've built a solid card this time, hell, it's even more power efficient than 3080.
I'd consider one for sure if I needed a card, but I'm personally going to ride out my 1080 Ti until it's useless.

Even though I'm looking for an upgrade to run old games faster and haven't played an AAA title in years, it's still kind of hard to justify for only 50$ less. Definitely a good sign for the AMD graphics division going forward though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
think the supply issues will delay the lower range cards, or is that mostly independent because of how yields work?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I'll be getting a 6800xt in 2021 then. :-)

Don't own a single game that uses RT and all i want is for it to drive my 3440 x 1440p ultrawide monitor.... guess i'm close to their intended demographic.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

No

If it needs protection against sagging it will be designed with it in mind

I wouldn't be surprised if should have protection against sagging, but doesn't in order to save on cost.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

So nobody told me the accelero is the most butt loving ugly thing on the planet. thank goodness i have a solid case, my god. sticking with the blower i have is almost better. it's huge and it looks like some hacked together poo poo.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Lmao
https://twitter.com/AzorFrank/status/1329068706538811392

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Dig UP, Frank!

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

That tweet needs one of those disclaimers that Trumps been given

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

big oof at minecraft rtx, big navi gets absolutely annihilated in a fully pathtraced renderer

at least that's not representative of how most RT games will operate for the forseeable future

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I posted this back in October 1st:

quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJHnaxZdeEk

I watched a 30 minute video of Moore's Law Is Dead and noted a bunch of his predictions about AMD's Navi lineup. I wanted to get it written down so that if we're still here in two months I can dig this up and see how close he got

quote:

* Navi 21 is the top die
* "Ray tracing should be better than Turing"
* There will be "a new upscaling+sharpening algorithm similar to what the consoles use is expected to combat DLSS"

For Navi 21:
* "will at least be close to the RTX 3080"
* "This card will challenge the RTX 3080, but is unlikely to win at everything"
* 72 to 80 Compute Units
* 2.15 to 2.30 GHz
* 250 to 300 watt TDP
* 16 GB GDDR6, on a 256-bit bus
* Hard launch by Thanksgiving

For the next cut-down SKU of Navi 21:
* "positioned near the RTX 3070"
* 60 to 72 Compute Units
* 2.15 to 2.30 GHz
* 200 to 250 watt TDP
* 16 GB GDDR6, on a 256-bit bus
* Hard launch by December

"Multiple sources have provided info pointing to a large pool of cache" - as a means of making up for the relatively low memory bus speed/not using GDDR6X/not using HBM.

For the Navi 22 (for the sub-500 market):
* 2.35 to 2.5 GHz
* 160 to 200 watt TDP

A lot of his other points about Navi 22 are hedged and he outright says they're speculative, so I don't want to hold him to them, but he specifically says that he's sure of these two particular points

After having watched GN's review, let's see what predictions panned out:

* When testing for ray-tracing performance, the 6800XT scored 47 FPS running Shadow of the Tomb Raider at 4k, which is higher than the RTX 2080 Ti's 44 FPS. The 6800XT maintains a lead at 1440p, and also at 1080p. As far as the claim that Big Navi has better ray-tracing performance than Turing ... maybe. GN's review only did DLSS-off numbers for the 3080, so I can't tell whether the 6800XT would perform better than a 2080 Ti when running Control/Minecraft with RTX on, but with DLSS off.

EDIT: I'm moving this to a No. TechPowerUp's review tested Control with RT on and DLSS off and the 6800XT consistently came behind the RTX 2080 Ti.

* New feature to fight DLSS: Nope, not yet ready at launch.

* "will at least be close to the RTX 3080" / "This card will challenge the RTX 3080, but is unlikely to win at everything": I would say yes.

* 72 to 80 Compute Units: Yes. The 6800XT has 72 CUs.

* 2.15 to 2.30 GHz: The 6800XT runs at 2.015 Ghz, with a boost clock of up to 2.250 GHz. MLID missed the bottom of the range on the official specs, but GN's frequency testing had the card running at around 2.350 GHz. I'd say yes.

* 250 to 300 watt TDP: GN's power draw testing had the card drawing 294 watts running Furmark, and 289 watts benching Total War Three Kingdoms. I'd say yes.

* 16 GB GDDR6, on a 256-bit bus: Yes.

* Hard launch by Thanksgiving: It did technically launch before Thanksgiving. Yes?

* "Multiple sources have provided info pointing to a large pool of cache" - as a means of making up for the relatively low memory bus speed/not using GDDR6X/not using HBM - AMD developed the Infinity Cache for these cards. I'd say yes, but with the caveat that I don't know how much this specific feature affects the card's performance compared to what else they could have done.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 18, 2020

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Does someone want to tell Frank that not everyone can order through a staff portal.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

repiv posted:

big oof at minecraft rtx, big navi gets absolutely annihilated in a fully pathtraced renderer

at least that's not representative of how most RT games will operate for the forseeable future

DLSS is on there which means its not quite like numbers for determining the potential of the card with similar AMD upscaling features.

On the other hand, that requires you to believe in formerly ATI drivers actually being good.

SuperTeeJay posted:

Does someone want to tell Frank that not everyone can order through a staff portal.

Not true!!!!

https://twitter.com/AzorFrank/status/1329072272527618050

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

DLSS is on there which means its not quite like numbers for determining the potential of the card with similar AMD upscaling features.

On the other hand, that requires you to believe in formerly ATI drivers actually being good.

They also tested the 3080 with DLSS off, and even in that apples-to-apples comparison it's 2x faster at 1080p and 3x faster at 4K

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
TPUs power figures are impressive. The raster performance undershoots the 3080 by a fair bit, the RT performance is downright abysmal (at or below 2060 tier), and support for DLSS isn’t there so the 3080 will dump on it in any titles NVIDIA can get RTX into.

Ehhhhhh the 16GB is an understandable draw and that perf/watt is compelling but given the pricing this isn’t the worlds most compelling package when viewed as a whole.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

repiv posted:

They also tested the 3080 with DLSS off, and even in that apples-to-apples comparison it's 2x faster at 1080p and 3x faster at 4K

Oh I missed that 1080p rtx 3080 DLSS off entry. Thats pretty terrible for amd

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-sam-smart-access-memory-performance/

TPU tested Smart Access Memory, and averaged a 2% performance win across their 22-game suite

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

repiv posted:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-sam-smart-access-memory-performance/

TPU tested Smart Access Memory, and averaged a 2% performance win across their 22-game suite

So it is a nothing burger at this point?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

yeah pretty much

i think there's some further performance wins to be had if engines are coded with SAM in mind, but who knows if/when they'll start doing that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Think of the millions of frames you will never see with that attitude.