Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
i visited a few times because they were funding my research. it just felt like unashamed consumer capitalism: things are "good" for people with money, as long as you can convince yourself to ignore the obvious blood staining everything. i doubt they're going to try to take a computer toucher's passport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
I started casually poking around the job market a year ago because it seemed like i'd hit a plateau of learning new stuff at my current job and it was clear there'd never be a real raise there

company I interviewed a while back recently un-froze hiring and want me for a position

talked to the manager, he seems great, team members sound good, company seems great

but the role seems like it's largely what I think of as traditional linux sysadmin stuff -- maintaining yum repos, cfengine (!) and puppet stuff. industry wide that doesn't seem like the kind of skill sets that have growing demand.

normally I'd pass but (and I have no offer at this point) comparable positions on levels.fyi show it could potentially be a deece six figgies over what I'm making now

is it worth it to wind back my career clock a decade or is it better to hold on and see if something else opens up?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

this isn't something other people can decide for you. but a $100k increase isn't exactly something to sneeze at

remember that you're allowed to take the job and then take another job later if it's better

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

linux isn't going anywhere any time soon. those skills will likely always be in demand somewhere- i don't think it's necessarily 'rolling your career back'

however if it's not really your jam would you really be happy there? would it be worth the large increase in pay?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
yeah take the new figgies and keep looking imo

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

$100k can buy a lot of courses and certifications.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

update on my job search that's been going on for like a year now: i'm now simultaneously interviewing with three companies all of which will be positions i'd be happy to land in should i get an offer. the first company, the support job i talked about earlier, is basically wrapped up at this point. they were going to extend an offer this coming week but it turns out one of their VPs used to work at my company before i started and wants to chat. i imagine it'll mostly be just catching up on who's who and he'll be selling the job to me a bit. not really worried about it.

the second two are still in the middle section- one has the "full day" interview set up for the end of this coming week while the third is just at the opening filters.

so now i need to start thinking about which direction i want to move in because they're all *very* different roles.

the first is the support role which i already talked about. it seems like it'd be interesting and rewarding work- and the pay/benefits will be excellent. my only real concern is it seems like a career dead end to me. i don't see where you can really go from there. after four years if i'm getting bored with it.... what then?

second job will be as an architect for a very small shop that does research on medical devices for a huge global company. they basically work with hospitals / research centers to work on devices and once they feel like they have something they spin it off to the main company to mass-manufacture. i'd be responsible for designing and building their cloud infrastructure for their internet-connected devices, something they've been really far behind the competition on and want to catch up. this to me is the most exciting role of the three and feels like it could really go places. working with insanely smart people, building poo poo that actually matters, and i would essentially "own" everything I build.

third job would be going in the opposite direction and jumping into pre-sales for one of the great satan companies. their product basically dominates the market so i'd be on the winning team at least. it should go without saying that the figgies will probably be the greatest here- and pre-sales IS something i've been wanting to get into for a while. the big downside here is that i'd be in another job where i'm going customer to customer and that's been wearing down on me lately.

i should probably not think too hard about this because i don't even know if i'll get offers from all three. just organizing my thinking a bit before i go to bed

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

the first is the support role which i already talked about. it seems like it'd be interesting and rewarding work- and the pay/benefits will be excellent. my only real concern is it seems like a career dead end to me. i don't see where you can really go from there. after four years if i'm getting bored with it.... what then?

Sounds like a great question for the VP.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
presales is a great job because you get to go to flash restaurants, visit a bunch of customers and travel to interesting places, none of which you want at the moment. you also get paid based on sales which depend on the health of the economy.

it’s probably all fine but at least check how they are doing against their number.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

the person i talked to emphasized that their bonus wasn’t tied to short term sales objectives but we didn’t have the time to go into how it actually worked. i’m not that concerned because their base salary alone will probably blow the other offers out of the water

ultrafilter posted:

Sounds like a great question for the VP.

:hmmyes:

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 16, 2020

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ultrafilter posted:

$100k can buy a lot of courses and certifications.

explain how

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fritz posted:

explain how

well, like, there’s this one poster who goes by that name, and it’s the big yospos joke to talk about how you “like how” but some contrarians also will express other sentiments about them? and usually it’s not funny but it’s just a thing you do to fit in as a lurker

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

fritz posted:

explain how

money can be exchanged for goods and services

wait is this a :thejoke: situation?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

anyone in this thread have experience living in and writing code for companies in the UAE? On the surface it looks awful, but awful with a ton of money.

The people I knew who did this basically said they were giving up any semblance of a normal life to make a lot of money. The experience was very isolating and you basically only associate with other expats. They also lived in countries that wouldn't tax the income and fields outside of software dev where the difference was more substantial.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

asur posted:

The people I knew who did this basically said they were giving up any semblance of a normal life to make a lot of money. The experience was very isolating and you basically only associate with other expats. They also lived in countries that wouldn't tax the income and fields outside of software dev where the difference was more substantial.

well that's disheartening

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Boiled Water posted:

anyone in this thread have experience living in and writing code for companies in the UAE? On the surface it looks awful, but awful with a ton of money.

no experience perspective: personally i wouldn't do it, i have only heard bad things from human beings tbh, it's definitely a task for the beepboops of the world. i can't keep my mouth shut so i wouldn't have a good time. if you can shut down completely and just do a job for x months you can make bank but happiness isn't always relative to your income and if you are capable of emotion it just sounds soul crushing to me

it's the kind of place where you can have your passport seized and serve jail time for saying a bad thing about your employer on social media

gently caress UAE

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Mirthless posted:

gently caress UAE

yeah this

gently caress that place and gently caress supporting them economically

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_the_United_Arab_Emirates#Sharia_law

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
i got absolutely reamed by a manager today on a temp contract, like, literally the worst I have been spoken to since starting my career and i went into an 11:30 am interview so pissed off i achieved ultra instinct and dunked it so hard it shattered time, space, and any managerial objections so i'm pretty sure i'm finally gonna have stable employment really soon

it's energy and that sucks but it'll still pay more and have better benefits than the loving garbage i'm doing right now and since it's temp to perm i should be able to get a pay bump if they hire me on

gently caress people who lead with disrespect

edit: they had feedback to the recruiter in less than ten minutes & the CIO wants to do lunch on friday :toot:

the OP interview questions are so loving good if you can deliver them and if I hadn't had so many things get put on hold this year they'd have definitely gotten me a job by now

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 17, 2020

animist
Aug 28, 2018
i was interviewing today with a GIS company and they were like "yeah turns out a bunch of states used our software for gerrymandering. whoops"

like. what

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

animist posted:

i was interviewing today with a GIS company and they were like "yeah turns out a bunch of states used our software for gerrymandering. whoops"

like. what

if your software isn't constantly beaming shitloads of data back to your servers and you don't have a dedicated army pouring through what every customer is up to- yeah this is a thing that can happen

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

we built this to sell ads, not elections!!!

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

animist posted:

like. what

if they mentioned it in the interview they probably had a candidate bail over it lol

there's a sort of PTSD that recruiters seem to get when a candidate drops out after they were given an offer

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 18, 2020

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

polyester concept posted:

another place sent me like an iq test, i guess to filter out the complete idiots? lol i dunno what to think about that

they sent me a rejection email fyi, too stupid i guess

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

polyester concept posted:

they sent me a rejection email fyi, too stupid i guess

yeah any place with a hiring process like this is 100% not a place you want to work anyway

see also: personality tests

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

just got a verbal offer from company #1 :toot:

base salary alone is 10% over what my current base + bonus is. then i'll be getting a bonus + rsus on top of that

what a relief. will take the stress off interviewing with the other two companies knowing i have a base covered

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

animist posted:

like. what

is it pronounced jizz?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Mirthless posted:

yeah any place with a hiring process like this is 100% not a place you want to work anyway

see also: personality tests

yeah I was talking to a buddy about it later and he told me that the ceo did a talk at some startup meetup thing, and was bragging about how he keeps a spreadsheet ranking every employee across a bunch of metrics.

yikes

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
after being stalled for like nine months I have two final interviews lined up, both running product management teams. one is a established company full of lifers that is trying to do a culture change, the other is a growth company who has realised product people are useful. both would be cool and pay better than I'm on now.

I'd like to pose like I can choose between them because I'm so awesome and put it to yospos for recommendations but in reality I'll take whichever one I can actually get.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
good luck to all of u i believe in you

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Just got a Master's degree in compsci. Now I need a job. Any tips?

Note: I'm in Canada. I fortunately have a nice local job board, but it's a slog - I got to the offer phase but we ultimately couldn't agree on a flexible schedule (I have a slightly broken body clock) and also they wanted me to come in w/ 50 other people every other week (I'm looking for fully remote work only until I and everyone I live with are vaccinated).

I guess it's just sending out resumes, but it's starting to get to me.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
protip: leave canada

your country sucks because everything costs more but you get paid less. move to the silly con valley, run that grift, get that paper

everything's remote now. you can work remote for bigtech. don't, though

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

protip: leave canada

your country sucks because everything costs more but you get paid less. move to the silly con valley, run that grift, get that paper

I don't have to pay $999999 if I get sick, though, so... tradeoff? :D

Seriously, I don't want to work for big tech. I want a job in the city I'm in.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Quackles posted:

I don't have to pay $999999 if I get sick, though, so... tradeoff? :D

Seriously, I don't want to work for big tech. I want a job in the city I'm in.

Which city is that?

Also nothing, in theory, stopping you from getting a remote job "in" silicon valley.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Boiled Water posted:

Which city is that?

Also nothing, in theory, stopping you from getting a remote job "in" silicon valley.

Victoria, BC.

And there isn't anything stopping me, sure, but anyone big enough to have a silicon valley branch already risks being big enough to set off red flags in my head on account of their sheer size.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Quackles posted:

Victoria, BC.

And there isn't anything stopping me, sure, but anyone big enough to have a silicon valley branch already risks being big enough to set off red flags in my head on account of their sheer size.

probably more opportunities in the gvrd tbh. most of the faangs are here and are doing remote

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Acer Pilot posted:

probably more opportunities in the gvrd tbh. most of the faangs are here and are doing remote

[nod]

My dream is actually working for a company on the smaller side (not more than 100ish employees, could be closer to 25 or less) just generally being a Useful Computer Person. Goodness knows there's enough call for such.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Nov 19, 2020

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you didnt need a mscs for that

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you didnt need a mscs for that

I did if I wanted to not be treated like a code monkey while doing it.

Mostly, though, I did the Master's because I didn't want to leave university.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Quackles posted:

I did if I wanted to not be treated like a code monkey while doing it.

Mostly, though, I did the Master's because I didn't want to leave university.

did you do any co-op? what did you specialize in for that msc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
well, honesty is nice

it is literally the worst time in a century to make the move but an insane portion of u waterloo schleps it to the us cuz of the double, triple, quadruple, quintuple total comps that peeps get

you are now in a sales job for the rest of this interviewing process, you are selling a Programmer or whatever for 80k cad or whatever. your resume is a marketing document. have it bear the relation to the truth that other marketing documents do. cold resumes do work but if your resume isnt very good you need them in insane quantity (send out hundreds to thousands). warm lead is worth 25-200 cold leads. meeting peeps in non-networking events is how you get warm leads. please dont go to any until you get the vaccine

you gauge enthusiasm of lead by how fast they reply to your resume. they may bin your resume and they will frankly do so in great number. you have to be ok with this. without a strong value prop, which frankly a mscs isnt, thats the headwind