Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Regarde Aduck posted:

Really? As someone in this lovely island by far the most obvious racism is towards anyone that is thought to be Muslim. Indians might get hit in the crossfire because racists aren't very clever. I'd say target number 1 is Muslims with 'immigrant' a close second. Immigrant meaning eastern European, north African or Syrian.

To be fair the Muslim boogey man is pretty recent in terms of our long history of being lovely to anyone that isn't British. When I was growing up, brown people where "p*kis", their religion didn't come into it. This changed after 9/11 and the 7/7 bombings.

And that's probably the major thing that's different in the UK (and much of Europe) compared to the USA. Yes the UK is racist to black and brown people but also to white people, I've definitely met people who regard Indians as hard working, beneficial members of society but view Polish people as lazy benefit scroungers.

Mega Comrade has a new favorite as of 15:22 on Nov 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm always weirded out by the targets of British racism being like, Albanians and Egyptians

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Their chief export is aluminum.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Their chief export is aluminum.

No wonder, Britain only imports aluminium! That must be the source of the disagreement

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Actual 'scientific'/dogmatic racism is pretty anomalous on a historical scale.

The main concerns are always:

1) Are we at war with them?
2) Are they takin are jerbs?
3) If a relevant religion is kicking around at the time, have they been saved?

Like you still get bigotry but it's not spun up into a long term ideology in the same way. Usually.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Strategic Tea posted:

It's very class based. You will get overt flack less for your actual skin colour and more for not speaking and behaving like a white middle class office worker at all times.

Eh... You get a non-white person and a white person of equal 'class behavior' and you'll still get comments on the former that you wouldn't get with the latter.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s why we wank ourselves off about WW2 endlessly, partly because it was a time when we weren’t basically loving irrelevant on the world stage and partly because it was a time before there were so many foreign-born or descended people trundling about the isles.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Are the stereotypes the same about black people in the UK as the US? I never knew there was black vs white racism on a large scale in the UK like there is here, although I don't know why I thought that. Most of the racism I always hear about there is against Indians.

Most stereotypes do generally carry over, but some really specific ones don't.

This is more Australian than the UK, but years ago there was controversy about a KFC ad that aired here during a big cricket match between Australia and... I believe the West Indies, where an Australian guy sitting with the West Indies supporters got them all to shut up by giving them a bucket of fried chicken. That ad rightfully got REALLY bad treatment once the internet found it, especially from an American company. But it kinda just passed without incident in Australia because 'black people love fried chicken' isn't a strongly held stereotype here, so it just read as 'get people to shut up by giving them good food to eat', which was... probably the intention?

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 15:39 on Nov 18, 2020

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s why we wank ourselves off about WW2 endlessly, partly because it was a time when we weren’t basically loving irrelevant on the world stage and partly because it was a time before there were so many foreign-born or descended people trundling about the isles.

And conveniently forgetting the vast numbers of folks "from the colonies" that, you know, fought and died to stop the nazis. I swear that WWII broke the nation's psyche in a profound way. A generation of men in their 50s who grew up on Dad's Army & Allo Allo somehow convinced that they fought and that it was great.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah I was thinking that it's like they have to say a cop "allegedly shot" someone despite three separate cameras that clearly and unambiguously showed him unloading an entire magazine into the victim's back

This only works one way.

They’ll say stuff like “the suspect shot a man on Fifth Avenue.”

This is a flagrant misuse of the word. Police have a suspect in custody. That suspect may or may not have pulled the trigger on Fifth Avenue.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Donovan is (obviously) not the idiot.

https://twitter.com/donovanfarley/status/1328843900606242818

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Then it should be very easy for a single antifum to occupy it then.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Skwirl posted:

I was just thinking of the response in America when Cheerios had a mixed race couple in an ad.

Weirdly I don't hear about people in America flipping out about ads that feature black families or interracial groups of friends. Just when they show a white woman married to a black man.

Diversity as a positive thing in advertising has been around for decades at this point, and normalized enough that even racists just roll their eyes at 'political correctness' and move on if they see a black family representing all families in a major ad campaign. If a product or company has never used a person of color in an ad before, they'll get some poo poo for it, but right now bigots are more inclined to get huffy about Latino, Muslim, Gay, and interracial families. The last ad melt-down I remember was Coca cola doing some national diversity pablum with the Spangled Banner where one line was sung in Spanish.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

OwlFancier posted:

Then it should be very easy for a single antifum to occupy it then.

I'm an Antifon

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Skwirl posted:

I was just thinking of the response in America when Cheerios had a mixed race couple in an ad.

Weirdly I don't hear about people in America flipping out about ads that feature black families or interracial groups of friends. Just when they show a white woman married to a black man.

A page back, but every Keebler cookie ad I see has a family of diverse backgrounds (usually white mom and black dad, or black mom and white dad). It's nice.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

there wolf posted:

Diversity as a positive thing in advertising has been around for decades at this point, and normalized enough that even racists just roll their eyes at 'political correctness' and move on if they see a black family representing all families in a major ad campaign. If a product or company has never used a person of color in an ad before, they'll get some poo poo for it, but right now bigots are more inclined to get huffy about Latino, Muslim, Gay, and interracial families. The last ad melt-down I remember was Coca cola doing some national diversity pablum with the Spangled Banner where one line was sung in Spanish.

I think I remember that, was it a Super Bowl commercial? People melted down because they got "political."

I was so confused when when people get mad at that Cheerios commercial, and then I remembered that ~50 years ago, interracial relationships were still illegal (and punishable) in large portions of the US. I'm not saying boomers are more racist than other age groups...but they still remember a time when being openly racist was commendable in most social circles.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/JamieJa69468104/status/1329130123719794688?s=20

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Fixed, thanks!

Lemniscate Blue has a new favorite as of 21:10 on Nov 18, 2020

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/jiggafras/status/1328784801130799108?s=20

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Lemniscate Blue posted:

No idea why that pic isn't showing on mobile.

Fixed it for ya

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1329055330286891012

Ah yes, the Sermon on the Mount, a radical leftist manifesto.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
I think I mentioned it in another thread, but driving through backcountry CA I got to listen to a radio host giving a sermon on how Jesus wasn't a peace-loving pansy like liberals would have you believe. He was a man's man who rolled up his sleeves and put the fear of god into people.

So yes, they 100% believe that the sermon on the mount has been twisted by the liberal agenda.

Furthermore, the needle's eye refers to the gate in Jerusalem that...

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

And Gravel Institute, specifically created to counter Prager.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I would listen to H Jon Benjamin or Patrick Warburton read literally any book. Please audible get them some books to read.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
The twist: the book was Atlas Shrugged

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

captainOrbital posted:

TBH it would be kind of funny for Patrick Warburton to do something like Ready Player One where the main character is a scrawny teen nerd

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

captainOrbital posted:

The twist's twist: they dunk on it constantly

Does this make it better, or even more insufferable? Only one way to find out!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

TinTower posted:

Conservative Christians would absolutely hate Jesus and his preachings if they ever took the slightest of efforts to look up what he said and thought.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Len posted:

I would listen to H Jon Benjamin or Patrick Warburton read literally any book. Please audible get them some books to read.

Not quite what you are asking for but if you've not heard Adam West reading the Communist Manifesto, you've not lived

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's not quite the same, but I watched the entirety of Netflix' A Series of Unfortunate Events because it was narrated by Patrick Warburton and starred Neil Patrick Harris. Some of the guest stars are also pretty good.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

TinTower posted:

A Black Preacher, quoting Jesus: "You can't serve both God and Mammon"

Marco Rubio, on behalf of White Evangelical Christianity: "No, idiot, Mammon is God"

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

those who live by the sword will surely do kegstands with me in paradise

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TinTower posted:

I mean, it was at the time and still is.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Betazoid posted:

A page back, but every Keebler cookie ad I see has a family of diverse backgrounds (usually white mom and black dad, or black mom and white dad). It's nice.

The elves are diverse, too! I don't generally pay attention to commercials, but I noticed that recently

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ben come on man you're so close

https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/1329242777964699649

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

based ben

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Isn't there a commandment about idolatry?

https://twitter.com/VeeKunBits/status/1329108665811546112?s=20

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Maybe he’s catholic

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Maybe it's Maybelline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Who would make someone go into debt to pay for vital expenses, Ben? loving Lex Luthor??