Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Gonna Send It posted:

8GB

12 chrome tabs :cry:

haha, surely you are trolling us and didn't buy an 8gb laptop in 2020?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

I'm not a computer toucher by trade, and 8GB was just fine in my XPS, so yes I did. I have a desktop PC as well, so this is a secondary machine.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if browsers were religions google chrome would be Mormonism click here to find out why it

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

link is broken in chrome

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

new macs are basically disposable, spend as little money on them as possible

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

r u ready to WALK posted:

sure, buy the cheapest one that will do the job, but we’re talking multiple chrome tabs here it’s obvious 8gb isn’t going to cut it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

weird that safari can operate without eating a full gigabyte of ram when showing some text on a web page

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
too bad even with web extensions support safari still cant use ublock origin because they disabled the blocking part of the web extensions implementation

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

the whole safari extension / app store ecosystem is the most bird brained poo poo ever

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

r u ready to WALK posted:

i am kind of taking this approach on the low-end m1, seems silly to “future proof” something that caps at 16GB. i intend to have this be the family laptop in 2-3 years and get a m2 or w/e with extra ram and ssd storage then

i mostly use it for on-site/in-meeting note taking and light work with raw photos, and the odd (lo-fi) game here and there. the big draw for me is portability, good screen and good battery life. no fans is a plus of course

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kenny Logins posted:

no fans is a plus of course

Good laptop/post history synergy here

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the ram myth is the new megahertyz myth

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Mad Wack posted:

too bad even with web extensions support safari still cant use ublock origin because they disabled the blocking part of the web extensions implementation

use firefox op

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Sagebrush posted:

Good laptop/post history synergy here
Evil Sagebrush dunks on a man the day his life is sweetest to him

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
chrome’s hunger requires outrageous memory expenditure

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

ff and safari work great and let you use your computer for other things at the same time. miraculous!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kenny Logins posted:

Evil Sagebrush dunks on a man the day his life is sweetest to him

:evilbuddy:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

When in chome, do as the chomans do

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
welp I caved in and ordered a 16gb m1 air to replace my previous mba. I am looking forward to seeing how rosetta performance compares to the lovely intel mobile chips they’ve been using up to now

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
reportedly the m1 is so much faster than lovely intel mobile chips that even after the rosetta translation penalty performance is better

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

if benchmarks are reasonably representative, yeah, by some margin. this is the kind of thing where there'll for sure be some extremely degenerate cases as well though, so as always take care if you have some must-haves in your work flow.

e: i'll reiterate that rosetta 2, if indications are correct, might be the most impressive part of this launch. and the gpu was clearly possible to make, but if you want a huge leap on all relevant competition that's the biggest one.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 18, 2020

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

haveblue posted:

reportedly the m1 is so much faster than lovely intel mobile chips that even after the rosetta translation penalty performance is better

that's pretty wild

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

haveblue posted:

that's a lol

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
it seems like 20-30% slower, the absolute worse case is 50% slower in anandtech's tests
the last unknown for me is the performance of x86 docker containers once that works, but i'm sure it will be faster than the 2015 MBP i'm replacing

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Gonna Send It posted:

This is my first Macbook (Air) ever, coming from an XPS 13 9380 w/ 8GB RAM.

Chrome is a tiny bit hitchy. I'm currently waiting for the ARM version of Chrome to come out (hopefully today).

It's currently cold here, and I'm used to warming my hands up a bit on the bottom of the XPS; this is no longer possible on the mac. The warmth on the bottom plate feels like I just laid my hand there for 30 seconds.

please try safari if you can. chrome is bad in many ways

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Mad Wack posted:

1blocker works well at blocking so many ads that like 1/4 of websites break op

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
apple has just informed me that my new telephone comes with one year of free apple tv+*

i have no idea why i would want this, but apparently it comes free in a box of crackerjacks

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

i guess ted lasso is good

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I’m waiting for Foundation I guess

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

Silver Alicorn posted:

i don't think anyone is going to make a good foundation show. not that the books were extraordinary, but i don't believe anyone making tv in tyool 2020 is going to do hari seldon and psychohistory without making it some hbo wannabe prestige schlock

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Silver Alicorn posted:

spoiler: it will be bad

infernal machines posted:

i don't believe anyone making tv in tyool is going to do hari seldon and psychohistory without making it some hbo wannabe prestige schlock
hbo wannabe prestige schlock without butts or boobs

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
apple has been giving a year of tv+ away with every new device since it launched

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

apple has just informed me that my new telephone comes with one year of free apple tv+*

i have no idea why i would want this, but apparently it comes free in a box of crackerjacks

please; Sailor Jack and Bingo are far too controversial for tim’s apple tv programming standards

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they should really just call it beige tv

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I’m v skeptical of foundation tv but I’m still going to watch every ep

I like the space show, it’s really just neat to look at, the moon scenes are the best I’ve seen I think

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

spoiler: it will be bad

hbo wannabe prestige schlock without butts or boobs

seriously, what's even the point then?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
they got Anderson Dawes from the expanse to play hari seldon

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i don't think anyone is going to make a good foundation show. not that the books were extraordinary, but i don't believe anyone making tv in tyool 2020 is going to do hari seldon and psychohistory without making it some hbo wannabe prestige schlock

you're saying you want an adaptation that strays far from the books?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

poty posted:

1blocker works well at blocking so many ads that like 1/4 of websites break op

ty i started using adguard because 1blocker wanted money - still miss ublock tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Silver Alicorn posted:

they got Anderson Dawes from the expanse to play hari seldon

he's cool

hobbesmaster posted:

you're saying you want an adaptation that strays far from the books?

i have no idea what the comparison is between a bunch of short stories from the 1950s and modern day prestige tv.