Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I haven't read the books in forever but I do remember they're not particularly action-packed

every story is basically a couple of people discover/cause a diplomatic crisis, resolve it through some kind of scheme that usually culminates in verbally owning someone, and then hari seldon does a monologue about how it all went according to plan (or didn't, in the mule stories)

maybe it could be a game of thrones court drama if the stories weren't also separated by decades or centuries so there's no shared cast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it kinda has to be set up as an anthology, unless they're just going to ditch everything and use the books as "inspiration" for whatever show they actually wanted to make

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

infernal machines posted:

he's cool

i have no idea what the comparison is between a bunch of short stories from the 1950s and modern day prestige tv.

haveblue posted:

I haven't read the books in forever but I do remember they're not particularly action-packed

every story is basically a couple of people discover/cause a diplomatic crisis, resolve it through some kind of scheme that usually culminates in verbally owning someone, and then hari seldon does a monologue about how it all went according to plan (or didn't, in the mule stories)

maybe it could be a game of thrones court drama if the stories weren't also separated by decades or centuries so there's no shared cast

basically a direct adaptation would be "sorkin does scifi". well, the first 3 books anyway

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
as long as there’s enough gratuitous space empire stuff I’m on board

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
on the other hand there's precedent for huge scifi event media about taxation of trade routes

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

haveblue posted:

they should just do it like black adder

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

tbqh i think a lot of the more fervent fans are a bit deflated with the m1 news, since it appears less magically beastly and more like a zen3-tier processor built with a better and more expensive process. but that was probably always the best possible outcome, there likely is no real leap forward to be made in design that'd let anyone get miles ahead of everyone else.

still means that apple will have a large performance advantage (at that tier) for some time, as pc laptops don't even get zen3, everyone satisfied to cram whatever intel poops out into every single design.

plus the seemingly excellent gpu which is getting very little noise comparatively.

when can i buy a good zen 3 laptop and will they be as head efficient as the m1

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

The Management posted:

a zen3 draws 100 watts and requires constant active cooling. an m1 draws 10 watts for both the cpu and gpu and operates in a fanless MacBook Air.

edit: sorry, 10 watts also includes the RAM.

yeah this is a lot worse obv

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

wtf were people expecting from the m1 that you're deflated by these results lmao. I was a naysayer and these results have floored me tbqh

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i was a naysayer but i ordered one anyways (air eXXXtreme edition). it's kind of meh so far honestly. it doesn't feel appreciably faster than my ipad or my xps 13, big sur is terrible and basically the only things that work well are things i'd rather do on my ipad (watch videos, read lovely websites, play hearthstone). i bought it knowing i'd probably return it (because the last thing i need is another laptop) but the benchmarks tricked me into thinking maybe it could replace my ipad or xps

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

it can't replace your xps? why not

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Amethyst posted:

it can't replace your xps? why not

The Fortune 100 I work for runs their VDI off my XPS.

:negative:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

My xps is fine but the fan spins up all the time and the video performance sucks

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

the talent deficit posted:

i was a naysayer but i ordered one anyways (air eXXXtreme edition). it's kind of meh so far honestly. it doesn't feel appreciably faster than my ipad or my xps 13, big sur is terrible and basically the only things that work well are things i'd rather do on my ipad (watch videos, read lovely websites, play hearthstone). i bought it knowing i'd probably return it (because the last thing i need is another laptop) but the benchmarks tricked me into thinking maybe it could replace my ipad or xps

i program on my xps. the air can't run docker, intellij or most vscode extensions yet. if support for those launches i might give it another try

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
lol

https://twitter.com/jaymelbe/status/1329163531871264768?s=21

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

it can't run intellij??? why?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

https://twitter.com/jaymelbe/status/1329166147162402817?s=21

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
entirely too many hot takes to be believable

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

he's just some rando. opinions like those are common

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the talent deficit posted:

i program on my xps. the air can't run docker, intellij or most vscode extensions yet. if support for those launches i might give it another try

what kind of containers are you trying to run

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
You can’t run 32bit Mac apps on M1, but you can run 32bit windows apps.

https://www.codeweavers.com/blog/jwhite/2020/11/18/okay-im-on-the-bandwagon-apple-silicon-is-officially-cool posted:

I can't tell you how cool that is; there is so much emulation going on under the covers. Imagine - a 32-bit Windows Intel binary, running in a 32-to-64 bridge in Wine / CrossOver on top of macOS, on an ARM CPU that is emulating x86 - and it works! This is just so cool.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
i wanted a macbook air just to see what can and can't run right now. As a professional computer toucher, I have some EXTREME needs.

but then homebrew is not available until mid next year so rip m1, here i come m2

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

what kind of containers are you trying to run

i have all my projects setup to use the vs code remote containers extension that runs everything in a docker container. beyond that i use containers for all kinds of stuff. postgres, mysql, elasticsearch, spark, kafka, prometheus, grafana, loki, jaeger

i also tend to use containers for one off scripting stuff i do so that i don't end up with a bunch of package janitoring to do

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
you can run homebrew under Rosetta right now

code:
arch -x86_64 /bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL [url]https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install.sh[/url])"

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Perplx posted:

you can run homebrew under Rosetta right now

code:
arch -x86_64 /bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL [url]https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install.sh[/url])"

:bignews:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I will buy Apple Fitness+ if Tim Cook hosts one of the shows. 4:30 AM workout. Live streaming only

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I’m amazed by the number of people upgrading to big slur like day 1

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

realtalk: there's some good content on appletv+. is there enough to pay? maybe a month or two, but not beyond that, but there's some solid stuff there. things i've watched that i've enjoyed: ted lasso, beastie boys story, little america, greyhound, mythic quest, long way round/down/up, for all mankind, and visible. there's some other things that sound good that i haven't watched yet. for the year+ i've had it free so far, i can't complain

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Amethyst posted:

wtf were people expecting from the m1 that you're deflated by these results lmao. I was a naysayer and these results have floored me tbqh

I think people are confusing apple rolling out m1 to their entry level machines as "this the best apple can do". there's a lot of comparisons to dGPUs and handwringing about missing ports and not being able to upgrade past 16gb of ram when this is replacing all the entry machines that only had two ports to begin with and were capped at 16gb of ram previously.

The exception is the Mac Mini was has been downgraded on ports and ram expandability but they only replaced the i3 version with the M1 so I'm guessing we'll see an upgraded version of that later that replaces the Intel one (or the fabled Mac-X mid tower :getin: )

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 19, 2020

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
apple will likely come out with a new chip for higher end machines either around March or next September that will be suitable for the mbp15, iMac, and maybe a new mini server. it will feature more cores, more PCIe lanes, a fatter gpu, and off-package ram that goes above 16 gigs.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

a good video talking guy talks about probably the best game on  Arcade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm5Ogh_c0Ig

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
oh poo poo there's a new susanna clarke novel???

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
on-package ram is probably contributing a significant chunk of the performance so why wouldn’t they just add more there

unless they go for a non-unified DRAM bank where the 16GB is effectively a cache which would be a choice I guess

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

someone send 2014 balmer this tweet

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
looking through his tweets (the ones that aren’t in French, anyway), the dude is like the cremnob of microsoft

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Doc Block posted:

looking through his tweets (the ones that aren’t in French, anyway), the dude is like the cremnob of microsoft

we’ve had one of those since before cremnob

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

does that make cremnob a shaggar of apple?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Amethyst posted:

it can't run intellij??? why?

it can. performance is not great because it’s jitting a jit. this will be fixed by a native release which has been announced as coming in a week or two.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

MeruFM posted:

i wanted a macbook air just to see what can and can't run right now. As a professional computer toucher, I have some EXTREME needs.

but then homebrew is not available until mid next year so rip m1, here i come m2

I sure am glad the homebrew devs put their time into porting it to linux, instead of supporting new versions of the only platform where anyone actually wants or cares about homebrew

(yes I know it’s not their fault exactly but also lol at open source failing once again)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
maybe it would be better if homebrew got disrupted instead of ported