Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

ufarn posted:

I had a similar issue with my D15; iirc, the issue was that he holes in the mounting brackets were so big that you could still shift the position of the brackets by a lot, which obviously affects the fit of, well, the mounting.

What I ended up doing was, I think, to move the brackets as far away from each other as possible and then screw them in, but you can do some testing to see if it applies to you and which equidistance works for your particular cooler.

Extremely annoying and definitely not the "Noctua coolers are so easy to mount" stuff people say all the time. I do wonder why it's like that, seems very weird.

I’ve used the D15, U12A, C14S and U9S all in the last year and none of them have had this issue, that was with the intel mounting hardware though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Same thing with the GPU. Doesn’t get detected by my TV’s HDMI either. poo poo, I think I really boned this.

The only real thing I did was remove the fan and heatsink on the CPU, then put it back on. Would that have been enough to somehow break it?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 18, 2020

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Pollyanna posted:

Same thing with the GPU. Doesn’t get detected by my TV’s HDMI either. poo poo, I think I really boned this.

The only real thing I did was remove the fan and heatsink on the CPU, then put it back on. Would that have been enough to somehow break it?

Probably not? Were you just putting on new thermal paste? The motherboard won't have video out unless you're using an APU so that's not an indication of anything. Did you dislodge the CPU power cable or get the GPU loose in its slot? I'd probably reseat everything, try different ram slots, etc, and then do a CMOS wipe. If it doesn't come back up, then I'd suspect the motherboard died randomly.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

A CMOS wipe is doable by just removing the battery and waiting a while, right? I don’t have any jumper heads.

I’ll try disconnecting everything, moving the RAM and GPU around, then see what happens. Really wish the motherboard had some sort of speaker that would beep out any error codes, but apparently it doesn’t.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Pollyanna posted:

You did say you used enough force to feel like you were cracking the motherboard, due to not fitting the backplate. That could easily kill it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

B-Mac posted:

I’ve used the D15, U12A, C14S and U9S all in the last year and none of them have had this issue, that was with the intel mounting hardware though.
That's curious. Is there variance in AM4 spacing that needs to be accounted for maybe?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

You did say you used enough force to feel like you were cracking the motherboard, due to not fitting the backplate. That could easily kill it.

Wouldn’t it like, not power up, then?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

The power on signal goes to the BIOS chip which then brings up the CPU, if you cracked something close to the CPU that would cause that first step to fail. The rest of your mainboard might get "power" causing some lights to go on and it would behave as if there was no CPU in the socket.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It could fail in tons of ways. I'd try reseating the cpu.

Efb

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 18, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Pollyanna posted:

A CMOS wipe is doable by just removing the battery and waiting a while, right? I don’t have any jumper heads.

I’ll try disconnecting everything, moving the RAM and GPU around, then see what happens. Really wish the motherboard had some sort of speaker that would beep out any error codes, but apparently it doesn’t.

Yeah, but you can also use like a screwdriver or piece of wire.

Pollyanna posted:

Not necessarily. Like, maybe if you really really broke it, but it can die and still spin fans.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

This is all the Denver Microcenter has left (not counting Threadrippers):

If there has been any restock on 5x00 Ryzens, I haven't noticed it. Every time I look there's just fewer and fewer CPUs available. Looks like a lot of people are deciding that a 3x00 on sale is good enough for now.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
When I first built i got no-video no-beeps and raged. Turns out i hadn't seated the video card quiiite right. Reseat everything and also check that you have exactly 9 - not 10, not 8 - standoffs in your motherboard tray and they've all got a screw. (well, mine's got 9 holes - check the manual to confirm, it will tell you)

mdxi posted:

This is all the Denver Microcenter has left (not counting Threadrippers):

Just got that promo email too. Honestly, $399 3900x is looking more interesting than waiting four months for a 5900x.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Also try leaving the CMOS battery out for longer. I thought a motherboard got toasted during a move, tried removing the battery for maybe a minute, got nothing. Pulled it out again and left it while I went outside and had a smoke in frustration. Maybe 15 minutes later I popped it back in and gave it one more try and it came back to life. I guess it just wasn’t getting discharged 100%. That said, be sure the power cable is unplugged too just in case.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The GPU power wasn’t plugged in. :cripes:

Lesson learned. Don’t try to remove dust from your PC by unseating the CPU fan and just don’t try to do anything other than blow some compressed air.

Also don’t drop and break your keyboard.

Anybody know how to glue that broken bit of plastic back together? :suicide:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Pay someone to do it.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Is it just the leg that's broken? Good ergonomics say you aren't even meant to have those up anyway, so if it's not in warranty and you can't be bothered to replace it I wouldn't worry.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pollyanna posted:

The GPU power wasn’t plugged in. :cripes:

Lesson learned. Don’t try to remove dust from your PC by unseating the CPU fan and just don’t try to do anything other than blow some compressed air.

Also don’t drop and break your keyboard.

Anybody know how to glue that broken bit of plastic back together? :suicide:

yes... iof you vacuum your floors, plastic will remerge together

alternatively, 2-liquid epoxy. and the caps should just fit back on the keyboard. the only thing that looks broken is those standups in the back which are kinda stupid anyways but you can just prop up the back if you really want it elevated.

but also vacuuming

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yes I know I’ll vacuum jesus!!!!!!

Also apparently I was supposed to reapply thermal paste so I ordered some of that. Okay let’s move on.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Pollyanna posted:

Also apparently I was supposed to reapply thermal paste so I ordered some of that. Okay let’s move on.

Bro, all I can say is you seem to have a had a hell of a day with this whole thing, and that sucks. Hopefully other things are going better for you.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’ve learned not to try to clean dust out from my PC at least.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The first time I cleaned dust from my PC I forgot to put the CPU cooler back on. Fried the CPU on boot.

So you're doing better than I at least.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
I was trying to walk my friend through building his new PC over the phone. He'd put everything together, but it wouldn't turn on. Not even the fans. Just, nothing.

We spent about 15 minutes checking cables, and trying different RAM slots, and so on. Then I asked him if he was sure the CPU was seated right. He thought so, but wasn't 100% sure. In a moment on insight, I asked him if he'd made sure the little socket lever was all the way down and locked. "What lever?" Turned out he hadn't opened the socket at all, so the CPU was just kinda sitting on top. Thankfully I'd convinced him to do a dry run of everything and ensure it at least POSTed before he put his NH-15D on, so he hadn't crushed all the pins off, and after correctly inserting the CPU was off to the races.

Basically: we all do stupid poo poo here.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Pollyanna posted:

I’ve learned not to try to clean dust out from my PC at least.

Dude, I ran my Core i9-7940x with an air cooler where I'd forgotten to take the adhesive sticker off of the heatpad for more than a month, and wondered why I throttled like poo poo. Everybody's done dumb things here - my mistake in that case was Trying To Computer While Depressed. I'm mostly surprised the video card didn't actually give you an error code or boot into a reduced performance mode to point one accusing finger at you and tell you to plug it in. Looking back I'm pretty sure my 9600GT did that... I know my 9800 Pro actually came up with a text mode error in red text at boot saying YOU NEED TO PLUG ME IN.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 18, 2020

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

OhFunny posted:

The first time I cleaned dust from my PC I forgot to put the CPU cooler back on. Fried the CPU on boot.

So you're doing better than I at least.

Anything modern should hit thermal overload and emergency shutoff. I don't want to test it but in theory it should be fine, I know with confidence it's fine with a broken fan and you have a block that heats up then your CPU slowly downclocks and throws thermal warnings.

"fine" being you don't need to buy a new CPU you obviously need a heatsink to keep it on more than a few seconds and a fan to keep it on more than a few minutes unless you have a beefy brick of copper.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

In terms of damage, I just need to reapply thermal paste, really. Just shouldn’t use it much until Friday. That and learn to use the keyboard with feet down.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

:lol: at that saga. Glad you figured it out.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

Are the chances of getting a 5900x if I go in the morning to local Micro Center really slim? I'm surprised something that provides such marginal gains for gaming crowd is sold out.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

DrDork posted:

I was trying to walk my friend through building his new PC over the phone.

Remote hardware tech support: not even once

paberu posted:

Are the chances of getting a 5900x if I go in the morning to local Micro Center really slim? I'm surprised something that provides such marginal gains for gaming crowd is sold out.

20% gen-over-gen is marginal? Also, some of us actually use computers to do work -- hard to fathom, I know.

That aside, you should look at your microcenter's website for availability instead.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

mdxi posted:

20% gen-over-gen is marginal? Also, some of us actually use computers to do work -- hard to fathom, I know.

There aren't many titles that are CPU bound where the cost of the 5900 over 5600 makes sense.

Also no need for snark, you aren't that unique in using a workstation to pay the bills.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

paberu posted:

Rich nerds want the most expensive stuff.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

mdxi posted:

That aside, you should look at your microcenter's website for availability instead.

For strictly gaming, the gains are actually closer to 25%. That's an incredible uplift by 2020 CPU standards, have we forgotten the dark ages of 2012-2017?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

EngineerJoe posted:

What's your power supply and what was your previous CPU? What GPU do you have?

Subjunctive posted:

Can you PM me a few of the links from your about :crashes page in Firefox?

CaptainSarcastic posted:

You just got a 3090 recently, didn't you? What happens if you turn off hardware acceleration in the browsers?

Thank you to the million people who helped on this!!!

Please excuse the delay as I have been more or less away. The answer was: the XMP settings on my RAM were making my entire computer unstable (which Xaris to his credit diagnosed immediately).

I pumped the voltage to 1.42 and it seems completely fine now, both in browsers and games.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Taima posted:

Thank you to the million people who helped on this!!!

Please excuse the delay as I have been more or less away. The answer was: the XMP settings on my RAM were making my entire computer unstable (which Xaris to his credit diagnosed immediately).

I pumped the voltage to 1.42 and it seems completely fine now, both in browsers and games.
Glad you got it working

Yeah I've rallied against using XMP on Zen*s, but keep an eye on any BIOS updates that may fix it. You could be using a BIOS that's temporary not great (a lot of the a latest AGES BIOSes intended to support Zen3 have been iffy DRAM-stability wise) and may be fixed in a bios update. What motherboard you have?. You may also want to take a crack at manually setting frequency and timings/voltage to squeeze out more performance

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Taima posted:

bumping voltage or turning on gear down mode help a ton for dram stability if you want to be lazy and just make it work.

I've solved so many zen2 instability issues with either of those approaches. I tend to use the gear down one for people who I don't trust to change voltage.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Khorne posted:

bumping voltage or turning on gear down mode help a ton for dram stability if you want to be lazy and just make it work.

I've solved so many zen2 instability issues with either of those approaches. I tend to use the gear down one for people who I don't trust to change voltage.
GDM is usually enabled by default. Generally you probably want to have GDM enabled anyways, especially with newer AGESA versions. I can think of almost no successful overclock settings that have used GDM disabled with newer BIOSes (i.e. f22 to f31 series on gigabyte mobos)

1.42v on DRAM is fine, a little higher than most people suggest (usually <=1.4v is considered 100% safe) but it should be safe enough. You more likely would want to see if bumping up VSOC or VDDP fixes it.

Performance with it Off is negligible too
https://community.amd.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/38849iB6E22743215B2686/image-size/large?v=1.0&px=999

Xaris fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 19, 2020

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Xaris posted:

Glad you got it working

Yeah I've rallied against using XMP on Zen*s, but keep an eye on any BIOS updates that may fix it. You could be using a BIOS that's temporary not great (a lot of the a latest AGES BIOSes intended to support Zen3 have been iffy DRAM-stability wise) and may be fixed in a bios update. What motherboard you have?. You may also want to take a crack at manually setting frequency and timings/voltage to squeeze out more performance

The CPU is a 5800x
The motherboard is an x570 Aorus Master (rev. 1.1/1.2) with the F31h beta bios which was released at the end of October.

There's a newer BIOS that just came out, but it only lists adding SAM as a new feature and nothing else:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-MASTER-rev-11-12/support#support-dl-bios

I actually am trying to manually adjust the memory timings but it's kind of freaking me out honestly. It looks most people recommend that you download Thaiphoon Burner to see what kind of RAM you have, but my Malwarebytes is flagging it as a trojan. I grabbed the DRAM Calculator for Ryzen but it doesn't seem to have Zen 3 yet (though maybe that's ok?)

My RAM is the Crucial Ballistix listed here that is very often recommended in this forum:
https://www.newegg.com/ballistix-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820164174?Item=N82E16820164174

Do you have a suggested resource on where to start with this? I can't go around downloading sketchy programs, as I do work on this computer often.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Where did you download thaiphoon from?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Xaris posted:

GDM is usually enabled by default. Generally you probably want to have GDM enabled anyways, especially with newer AGESA versions. I can think of almost no successful overclock settings that have used GDM disabled with newer BIOSes (i.e. f22 to f31 series on gigabyte mobos)

1.42v on DRAM is fine, a little higher than most people suggest (usually <=1.4v is considered 100% safe) but it should be safe enough. You more likely would want to see if bumping up VSOC or VDDP fixes it.

Performance with it Off is negligible too
https://community.amd.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/38849iB6E22743215B2686/image-size/large?v=1.0&px=999
The difference between off & on is ~0.5ns-1.5ns latency on older bios. It's not meaningful even in benchmarks. I have it on because there was minor instability during longterm use with it off.

My friend has a high end, to the point of lighting money on fire, MSI board and gear down was off by default for some reason. Not sure which bios version he has though. I got him to turn it on last weekend and he stopped having daily stability issues that plagued him for a while.

I run my bdie at 1.465V and haven't had any problems. Although at 1.45V+ you do need good airflow or temps could be an issue, and some other types of RAM don't take the voltage as well.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 19, 2020

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Where did you download thaiphoon from?

https://www.softnology.biz

but it flags the entire site as a trojan vector.

Website blocked due to trojan
Website blocked: https://www.softnology.biz

Malwarebytes Browser Guard blocked this website because it may contain malware activity.
We strongly recommend you do not continue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

hobbesmaster posted:

You might’ve knocked something loose but remember ryzen motherboards have a tendency to just take 2-5 minutes to post at random. It’s usually due to a first time memory change but :shrug:

jesus christ AMD users put up with a bunch of fiddly bullshit

like... I will be too, eventually, once Zen 3 is actually in stock. but how is this poo poo a thing in 2020?