Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Hmmm what to do...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Idle Amalgam posted:

That's fair. I made a leap in logic.

I still think dgk is a good candidate outside of that.

I think my scum picks are pretty hot actually.

Walk me through your dgk case again.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Please. Sorry, didn't mean to be rude.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

##unvote

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

This feels very low-effort and lurky (some might say “again”). Soon as I’m done making dinner I’m going to take another look at things.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

DGK2000 posted:

Sandwolf 168
apostateCourier 116
Bifauxnen 108
Yami Fenrir 105

I 100% guarantee one of these four is scum, zero doubt.

This is a bad take. Not that it is wrong, by why does this grouping of 4 have a higher chance of containing scum than any other random grouping?

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Votecount for Day 2

Ceyton (6): Rhjamiz, SHALASHASKA HAWKE, IcePhoenix, Grandicap, DGK2000, Gumball Gumption, Squiggly, sandnavyguy, apostateCourier, Yami Fenrir, DGK2000, Squiggly, IcePhoenix, apostateCourier
t a s t e (5): Sandwolf, Ceyton, Referee, Bifauxnen, t a s t e
Gumball Gumption (2): DGK2000, Chic Trombone, Hal Incandenza, DGK2000
DGK2000 (2): Sandwolf, CCKeane, CCKeane, Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, Sandwolf, CCKeane, Idle Amalgam, DGK2000, Idle Amalgam
chaoslord (1): Sandwolf, apostateCourier, Bifauxnen, Yami Fenrir, Ceyton, Ceyton, t a s t e, Sandwolf, Hal Incandenza, apostateCourier, Yami Fenrir, CCKeane, Bifauxnen, t a s t e, chaoslord, CCKeane, Hal Incandenza
Grandicap (1): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, chaoslord, Bifauxnen, chaoslord, Idle Amalgam, Idle Amalgam, Idle Amalgam
Rhjamiz (0): Squiggly, Ceyton, sandnavyguy, Squiggly, sandnavyguy, Referee, Ceyton, Referee
Hal Incandenza (0): Sandwolf, sandnavyguy, Bifauxnen, Sandwolf, sandnavyguy, Bifauxnen
Idle Amalgam (0): Chic Trombone, Chic Trombone
sandnavyguy (0): Hal Incandenza, SHALASHASKA HAWKE, SHALASHASKA HAWKE, Hal Incandenza
Chic Trombone (0): Yami Fenrir, Yami Fenrir
CCKeane (0): sandnavyguy, sandnavyguy, sandnavyguy, sandnavyguy

Not Voting (5): apostateCourier, IcePhoenix, Mr. Steak, SalTheBard, Squiggly

With 22 alive, it's 12 votes to execute. The current deadline is November 18th, 2020 at 11:30 p.m. EST -- that's in about 1 hour, 58 minutes.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Referee posted:

This feels very low-effort and lurky (some might say “again”). Soon as I’m done making dinner I’m going to take another look at things.

Was out shopping w/ the gf today, and tried to not spend a bunch of time on my phone. It's been a lower effort day yea :v:

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Ref why did you think it was either me or Hal again

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Grandicap posted:

This is a bad take. Not that it is wrong, by why does this grouping of 4 have a higher chance of containing scum than any other random grouping?

The theory is that one of the more active and vocal posters is probably scum. I agree. In my experience, rarely are scum actually hiding among the lurkers.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

Grandicap posted:

Surely you've played enough games to know the spread. At least one scum is Always in the top four.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Rhjamiz posted:

The theory is that one of the more active and vocal posters is probably scum. I agree. In my experience, rarely are scum actually hiding among the lurkers.

Well. There are people who scumlurk. It would be more accurate to say that generally, scum will have talkative players, and there is a psychological edge to having a strong game presence.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

apostateCourier posted:

Please. Sorry, didn't mean to be rude.

Oh, no offense taken even if you had been. My skin is like corrugated sewer slime hardened over time.

In any case:

DGK2000 posted:

Postcount means nothing in big games.
Seems hypocritical given they think one of the overachievers is scum.

DGK2000 posted:

Why, you worried we'll lunch one of your lurking scumbros?
Weird ribbing with sng imo

DGK2000 posted:

This is taste scum game yes

One of many unexplained meta justifications and a lack of anything concrete despite some conviction filled posts.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

ugh bad comma placement I wanna fix it so bad but i caaaaaaaaaan't

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

apostateCourier posted:

ugh bad comma placement I wanna fix it so bad but i caaaaaaaaaan't

No, money down!

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Ninja better

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

DGK2000 posted:

Surely you've played enough games to know the spread. At least one scum is Always in the top four.

No? Rarely are all scum lurkers, but I don't think the top posters have a higher chance of being scum. Like I really wanna head it off at the pass if someone is going to use that as a pillar in a future case.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics

Idle Amalgam posted:

Ninja better

All you Mods and players who disagree, Eat my cheeks.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

DGK2000 posted:

Except that one Super Mafio game in Auspol

Feeling more suspicious of DGK again for just throwing statistical shade. Like I feel fairly townie on all those other three folks, but I'm already gonna be paranoid about my reads being wrong just for paranoia's sake don't worry bout that, why stoke the paranoia further if you don't actually have nothing on one of em in particular.

While I'm still voting Taste and still think that's good, I would be fine to switch to DGK if we can get a lunch there

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

Grandicap posted:

No? Rarely are all scum lurkers, but I don't think the top posters have a higher chance of being scum. Like I really wanna head it off at the pass if someone is going to use that as a pillar in a future case.

I'll remember post game to point out that you're wrong.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I think I’d prefer Ceyton to taste at this point

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

DGK2000 posted:

Sandwolf 168
apostateCourier 116
Bifauxnen 108
Yami Fenrir 105

I 100% guarantee one of these four is scum, zero doubt.

seems more likely you’re scum at this point

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Getting my kiddos to bed, illbb

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I should be around til EOD to swap if necessary. Something about Sandwolf's sudden and unshakeable certainty that Ceyton must absolutely be town because he claimed VT at -2 just... does not sit right with me and I cannot articulate why.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Goddamn I'm annoyed that deadline is in like 2 hours and all I want to do is sleep!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Rhjamiz posted:

I should be around til EOD to swap if necessary. Something about Sandwolf's sudden and unshakeable certainty that Ceyton must absolutely be town because he claimed VT at -2 just... does not sit right with me and I cannot articulate why.

I thought Ceyton's posts around then felt a lot more townie to me all of a sudden so I was ready to agree anyway, but I did think Sandwolf using that as such a passionate argument was a bit odd too, yeah.

Not sure if it's actually scummy or just Sandwolf expressing himself awkwardly, but you pointing this out makes me feel a little better about you since it seems like a fair observation.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

I'm here but will absolutely be asleep before deadline.

I like my vote where it is in all honesty but am willing to switch to avoid the no lunch

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

SHALASHASKA HAWKE posted:

seems more likely you’re scum at this point

K

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

SalTheBard posted:

Goddamn I'm annoyed that deadline is in like 2 hours and all I want to do is sleep!

:same:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Referee posted:

Steak being gone for virtually the entire game day is really starting to weird me out.

It's weirding me out too, but I have seen Steak do this before.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

SalTheBard posted:

Yep who could forget Animal Crossing

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
So this swap to Taste is a little strange, I mean it feels like Ceyton was pretty much out the door then it was like "Hey lets vote for taste instead!'

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
So basically the case on Taste is "Wouldn't provide reads, doesn't seem to care about the game"?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Idle Amalgam posted:

Oh, no offense taken even if you had been. My skin is like corrugated sewer slime hardened over time.

In any case:

Seems hypocritical given they think one of the overachievers is scum.

Weird ribbing with sng imo

One of many unexplained meta justifications and a lack of anything concrete despite some conviction filled posts.

First point is either scummy or a misreading of what's meant there, I think. Hard to tell!

Second point means nothing to me

Yea the meta stuff never sits well with me

Overall I read this post as somewhat scummy

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

SalTheBard posted:

Bifauxnen posted:

Yep who could forget Animal Crossing

I didn’t play in or read that one, I don’t think, so this is new for me. Anyway:

t a s t e posted:

Ref why did you think it was either me or Hal again

I’m not quite sure how to respond to this. I don’t recall saying anything specifically between you or Hal. My vote on you was primarily to see if you would contribute in a meaningful way. Maybe there’s something I’m forgetting though, I’ll go double-check.

Also, I’m now wrapped up in a slight wedding-planning issue so while I still expect to be around till deadline I may be busy for periods of time.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Yeah, I didn’t say anything directly connecting or equivocating you and Hal, Taste. You must be thinking of someone else.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Rhjamiz posted:

I share this feeling with you, FWIW.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

You’re right it was this post instead

Idle Amalgam posted:

Sorry, I forgot how quickly large games can snowball into an intimidating amount of catch up and intentionally put off addressing this until I had some time to just sit down uninterrupted for a while.

Not a lot of time left in the day, and this kind of awkward, excuse fueled, showing up isn't a good look, but it is what it is.

Let's-a-go!

Day 1
I had pushed against Rarity for that Hal vote early on and chastised others for what felt like meta-validated casework instead of casing for actions in the thread earlier on.

Then I checked out of thread for two IRL days following the Amni/AC arguments.

Ended the day with a vote on Amni

Day 2

Looking back at the votes against Rarity, we know that at least one scum was on that vote, but looking a Mills's history in this game

Only taste and Hal come up, there is also mention of them both in Hal's post history, but it could just be innocuous and not direct association.

I feel like Hal's posting has been genuine and from a good place though, and any meta based suspicion seems really weak and suspicious.

Looking at taste, taste's brevity and activity around call outs leans scummy but doesn't actively cement it.

I don't feel that mills was associating with either of them as scum mates, but if he was, taste's actions would lend themselves more to it in my opinion just by what could be perceived as unwillingness to contribute.

More hot takes in short order.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

At least at this point I don't feel bad about voting for Ceyton if we gotta, cause at least now there's been some actual attempts to move things around. If we'd all just gone "ok whatever" and not had any mad deadline shuffle that would've sucked.

But it is making me nervous that with such a huge field of lurkers that nothing else was able to get as much steam, you know? If Ceyton's the scum how amazing is that, that the town just all magically came together to make it happen when scum coulda easily pushed so many other people today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Referee posted:

I didn’t play in or read that one, I don’t think, so this is new for me. Anyway:

Steak was in 2 games and basically hosed off for like 2/3rds of Animal Crossing mafia, then swooped back in at the end and was a huge rear end in a top hat to Cloner of Elk