Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Pro-tip:

Put a spoiler on your truck for faster dump runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Since ancient times, people have been asking, what the gently caress is holding the house up?

The answer is probably double layers of ship-lathe

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

This sort of demo/framing is absolutely loving brutal doing it by yourself. This loving sucks.

I didn't get the sills or cripples for the windows framed in, but I was racing the clock on my neighbors wanting to listen to a nail gun going all night.

Had to get it somewhat secure and weather tight for now, weather this week is brutal, rainy as hell. Sucks that Tyvek is basically being used as a tarp, no way I can reuse it, but that Lowes offbrand housewrap sucks anyways.

gently caress I'm tired.

E: the plywood is permanent sheathing, the OSB is to cover the hole, and is screwed off rather than nailed, so you can see where tha bank of windows will be, gonna be 30"/36"/30" LH/fixed/RH casements.

E2:
720lbs of poo poo.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 16, 2020

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I like to think you made that hole by reversing the truck into the wall.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

I like to think you made that hole by reversing the truck into the wall.

Truck's probably worth more than the house, you don't risk that kind of damage to it.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
I'm still trying to process how the self-level was poured over the furring strips.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The furring strips are covered with OSB (1/2", not subflooring, lol) then the OSB is covered in self leveler, I tried to get the transition, but it's tough and everything is dusty.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Despite the house still being a mess you've managed to do a lot in a short time imo. Well done.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

organburner posted:

Despite the house still being a mess you've managed to do a lot in a short time imo. Well done.

Thank you!

I can't sleep more than a few hours a night right now thanks to my allergies, so I rigged up this contraption, hopefully it helps.

Rest of the windows for the first floor came in, so I picked them up on the way home from work.

E: my family is making me accept their help this weekend, so hopefully I can get the rest of the downstairs demoed and somewhat sealed and stop worrying about inhaling mouse poo poo for a little while.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 19, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Elviscat posted:

I can't sleep more than a few hours a night right now thanks to my allergies, so I rigged up this contraption, hopefully it helps.

These helped me clean up the air when a bunch of plaster was getting bashed out in our house. Got some super high merv 2x10x10's off Nordicpure and rigged them up like this around the house.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

These helped me clean up the air when a bunch of plaster was getting bashed out in our house. Got some super high merv 2x10x10's off Nordicpure and rigged them up like this around the house.

I saw tons of these during the wildfires, gave me the idea.

(Insensate screaming]

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Are those just air filters strapped to fans?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

organburner posted:

Are those just air filters strapped to fans?

Yup. Air seal what you can. Deeper the filter the better the flow rate.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

Yup. Air seal what you can. Deeper the filter the better the flow rate.

Gotta step it up with more filters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM7mR-95KUg

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Goddamn... This is awesome. I'm totally using this during my next woodworking project.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I might actually do this, the current iteration (single MERV 13) helps, but not as much as I'd like.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I'm going to have to start stenciling the silhouette of destroyed powe tools on my house like a WWII fighter, Ixm up to:

Rigid table saw.
Rigid recip saw
My dad's old Skilsaw

The reciprocating saw ate the shaft bushing last night, and I just smoked the rotor on the (old lovely non-wormdrive) skilsaw, I might be able to save the last one with some new brushes, but from the amount of smoke+sparks being emitted I think the motor's done.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

FWIW Wirecutter did a review of those homemade filters and found they were actually pretty effective. I made a similar one when the fires here made the air quality horrible. I was able to get a "real" filter too and a PurpleAir sensor, so I've been meaning to conduct "experiments" (:2bong:) to compare their efficiencies but effort and all that

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Got off work early, worked on the house the rest of the day.

Mmmmmm

The beam that ran perpendicular to the rotted out beam was a lot more rotten than I had thought, so there's a whole 'nother wall that has to be completely ripped out.

Surprised at how far the rot goes up these studs

Fortune has blessed me with many reciprocating saws (4) so after I burned up my ex-roomate's Rigid I got to pull this hoss out of storage, absolute beast of a saw. Next best thing to a Super Sawzall.

If you're working around a wall full of protruding nails, remember to bend over as fast as possible without being careful.

That was the head of the nail too.

Front wall project is done, with the exception of a couple pieces of sheathing cut to fill those gaps.

Why is that cut so lovely? Definitely not because I'm a loving moron and managed to cut the entire thing with the circular saw blade in backwards, wondering why the blade was flexing and smoke was pouring out.

It ripped all the carbides off, so I wasted a $15 blade because I'm dumb.

Stupid cheap doors, need to fix this now

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
The dryrot on your house looks to be way worse than mine was when it was remodeled last year. So it looks like your house is built on piers with a crawlspace foundation?

Out of curiosity, how are you getting rid of waste?

Finally, what inspections are required by your city/state?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

ntan1 posted:

The dryrot on your house looks to be way worse than mine was when it was remodeled last year. So it looks like your house is built on piers with a crawlspace foundation?

Out of curiosity, how are you getting rid of waste?

Finally, what inspections are required by your city/state?

So it's hard to tell, but as fast as I can figure it was built on beams and posts (or literal stumps) in direct contact with ground, at some point someone did a very bad job retrofitting a footer/block wall/actual piers under all but the front wall beam, where they tried to pour concrete under/ around the remains of the rotted beam with little success. The crawlspace also becomes 0 clearance at that wall.

I'm lucky enough to live ten minutes from the dump, so everything goes in the bed of the Ranger and gets offloaded there. The probably asbestos wallpaper is double bagged and dropped off (for free) at the hazardous waste collection place.

My country requires structural and final inspections, then State does rough and final on wiring.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Elviscat posted:

Why is that cut so lovely? Definitely not because I'm a loving moron and managed to cut the entire thing with the circular saw blade in backwards, wondering why the blade was flexing and smoke was pouring out.

I thought these two lines were related.

I'm hopeless at any sort of handy thing, but I love seeing all the progress.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Good Lord. That looks like termite or carpenter ant damage...

That door strike plate mismatch thing is dumb but there's a standard, actually two of them, clearly. I ran into the same thing. Here's the one you need. Unless there are actually 3 standards and I only know of two, that is. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003F304WI/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

kastein posted:

I was going to say the same, looks like they've been bored into.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

kastein posted:

That door strike plate mismatch thing is dumb but there's a standard, actually two of them, clearly. I ran into the same thing. Here's the one you need. Unless there are actually 3 standards and I only know of two, that is. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003F304WI/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yeah, fortunately there's no sign of an active infestation, Termites shouldn't be a problem up here, but there's beetles that will bore into *wet* structural wood, which is what I'd bet this is. I have some borated wood treatment I'll slap on any affected areas.

I think I'm going to go down the route of chiseling out the strike to match, so that I can fit the matching strike plate with the big security screws, which might be a bit silly on a glass door.

Finished framing up the windows today, I get to work all weekend so this'll be the last progress for awhile. Also got everything permanently Tyvek'd, so I can stop worrying about water damage.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

As you can see, I'm very committed to physical security.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

I have nothing useful to add but I want you to know I'm really rooting for you

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

fuzzy_logic posted:

I have nothing useful to add but I want you to know I'm really rooting for you

Thank you, I do appreciate that.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Elviscat posted:

I think I'm going to go down the route of chiseling out the strike to match, so that I can fit the matching strike plate with the big security screws, which might be a bit silly on a glass door.

It's doable, but you need to accept that it will always be a little ugly in a way that'll bug you for years to come and no-one else will ever notice without you pointing it out.

Also rooting for you.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

TheNothingNew posted:

you need to accept that it will always be a little ugly in a way that'll bug you for years to come and no-one else will ever notice without you pointing it out.

This one sentence encapsulates every single one of my home projects so perfectly that it was a punch to my brain.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Agrikk posted:

This one sentence encapsulates every single one of my home projects so perfectly that it was a punch to my brain.

LOL. Same here. I see the strapping mark on a piece of wood flooring every time I walk by. I see every imperfection in trim, plaster, paint, or cabinetry. Invisible to everyone else, but the bug the poo poo out of me.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
My house has spots because I am too lazy to repaint the whole thing. Sucks to be my neighbors.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

sharkytm posted:

LOL. Same here. I see the strapping mark on a piece of wood flooring every time I walk by. I see every imperfection in trim, plaster, paint, or cabinetry. Invisible to everyone else, but the bug the poo poo out of me.

Elviscat is lucky that he didn't do his own roof because guess what, ever since I did mine I notice every single mismatched shingle, lovely flashing job, bad valley work, crappy weave, bodged tar on chimney step flashing, etc.

It's a curse. Meanwhile most people are happily living in houses with half inch lumps of boogery spackle in weird corners, quarter inch gaps under their baseboard shoe molding, light switches that do nothing, and not level outlets with plate screws at a jaunty 27 degree angle without a single care in the world while the rest of us twitch.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

kastein posted:

plate screws at a jaunty 27 degree angle

This made me laugh.

I have 8000 pounds of flagstone pallets currently sitting on my driveway that I admit to being stressed to start laying down on my terrace because the perfectionist in me is freaking out and making me overthink things: what if they are uneven? What if they wobble? What if it looks ugly? What if they are too far apart? Too close together? What if, what if, what if.

Well, I’ll get around to posting pics of the project and when I’m done ya’ll can critique my work. You won’t be any harsher than my inner monologue. :)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

TheNothingNew posted:

It's doable, but you need to accept that it will always be a little ugly in a way that'll bug you for years to come and no-one else will ever notice without you pointing it out.

Also rooting for you.

Thank you! I'll see if I can make it look good. If not, that's what caulk is for!

kastein posted:

Elviscat is lucky that he didn't do his own roof because guess what, ever since I did mine I notice every single mismatched shingle, lovely flashing job, bad valley work, crappy weave, bodged tar on chimney step flashing, etc.

It's a curse. Meanwhile most people are happily living in houses with half inch lumps of boogery spackle in weird corners, quarter inch gaps under their baseboard shoe molding, light switches that do nothing, and not level outlets with plate screws at a jaunty 27 degree angle without a single care in the world while the rest of us twitch.

Ah, but do you line up the screws horizontal, vertical, or at a perfect 45⁰? What do you do when that last 179⁰ makes the plate too tight and bulges/cracks it, but 180⁰ back is just a little too loose and gaps the plate from the wall?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Elviscat posted:

Ah, but do you line up the screws horizontal, vertical, or at a perfect 45⁰? What do you do when that last 179⁰ makes the plate too tight and bulges/cracks it, but 180⁰ back is just a little too loose and gaps the plate from the wall?

Look buddy I'll snap the 18¢ plate in my bathroom if I want stop creeping around my house. (it's recently starting spidering cracks despite being stable for years.)

That's what spacers are for.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

My family decided to pull my rear end from the fire and come over and help me clean/demo 1500 lbs of drywall, blow-in, ship lathe, and nasty carpet, I rewarded them with Thai food for lunch.

They also helped get the three casements for the living room in, I'm gonna go ahead and pat myself on the back for my framing, this is the first wall I've framed with no help from an experienced carpenter, all the openings are within an 1/8th from the required rough size, a total of 2 shims were required to get the windows level. I'm super pleased, I think it looks awesome.

I think the stairs to the 2nd floor used to be steeper.

Pretty pleased with how all this is going, lots of work left.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

Look buddy I'll snap the 18¢ plate in my bathroom if I want stop creeping around my house. (it's recently starting spidering cracks despite being stable for years.)

That's what spacers are for.

Lol, I've probably snapped $50 of those cheap plates in my life. They do look better, the schmancy nylon ones deform and look bubbly if you mess up anyway.

Getting GFIs with #12 and a load side tap perfectly level and square with the plate sucks soooo bad.

What I'm really worried about is millwork, I'm not good at getting rough framing in spec, and I'll brew able to see every little gently caress up forever, oh and I've never done it before.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Elviscat posted:

Getting GFIs with #12 and a load side tap perfectly level and square with the plate sucks soooo bad.

I've just about given up on this but if you have any tips I'm all ears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Elviscat posted:

Lol, I've probably snapped $50 of those cheap plates in my life. They do look better, the schmancy nylon ones deform and look bubbly if you mess up anyway.

What I'm really worried about is millwork, I'm not good at getting rough framing in spec, and I'll brew able to see every little gently caress up forever, oh and I've never done it before.

Do the room you give the least fucks about first when it comes to millwork, then expect to remove it again if you're actually picky enough to. I did my spare bedroom first and it's actually good enough to just leave it that way and I learned a lot in the process.

Framing is looking great, yours that is. Original framing - WHAT THE gently caress is with the abandoned in place stair stringer and haphazard wall framing around it? That has to be flexible as gently caress.