Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

meadpost: I had honey mead in Harald, a viking-themed restaurant, and it was an OK food drink to go with my four-course meal (paid for by someone else). I also got real drunk and started telling jokes which was not received well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

we have a local meadery, and it is fine, perfectly drinkable

bitter hops is just garbage used to hide other garbage

just like then stereotype of heavy spices used to hide sour meat

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I think I'm allergic to a certain type of hop or something because a lot of beers just make me feel absolutely awful halfway through one

mostly the fun winter/dark beers :(

this is definitely a thing. what's your reaction to ciders?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

The Fool posted:

we have a local meadery, and it is fine, perfectly drinkable

im gonna beat you up

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

The Fool posted:

yes

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

graph posted:

this is definitely a thing. what's your reaction to ciders?

don't really drink ciders but haven't noticed any weird reaction to them

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
hops shouldn't just add bitterness, they should add their own distinctive flavors. old ipas taste like poo poo tho

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I hate beer and only drink cider and liquor

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

fart simpson posted:

im gonna beat you up

<3

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

The Fool posted:

or lovely rum

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

There used to be a brewery/pub here that had the gimmick of making ales with olden bittering agents instead of hops, like ye olde dumbasses in britain used to do. It was... not good. There’s a reason hops took over.

I made a kellerbier once, basically a barely hopped and given a long secondary fermentation to age it and barely carbonate it. Came out great, probably the best stuff I ever made. Doesn’t travel well at all though so it’s rare to find and if you do find it outside the place it’s physically made it’s probably poo poo.

Got a fancy new cleaner for my glass carboys, should be jumping on the mead bandwagon soon. Probably make a melomel so it’ll be good ‘n ready for the warm summer months.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Fortaleza posted:

There used to be a brewery/pub here that had the gimmick of making ales with olden bittering agents instead of hops, like ye olde dumbasses in britain used to do. It was... not good. There’s a reason hops took over.

I made a kellerbier once, basically a barely hopped and given a long secondary fermentation to age it and barely carbonate it. Came out great, probably the best stuff I ever made. Doesn’t travel well at all though so it’s rare to find and if you do find it outside the place it’s physically made it’s probably poo poo.

Got a fancy new cleaner for my glass carboys, should be jumping on the mead bandwagon soon. Probably make a melomel so it’ll be good ‘n ready for the warm summer months.

barely is a type of grain

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Barley hopped, but barely!

:dadjoke:

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Need to bite the bullet and get a bigger still for making actual liquor. Been hoarding all my apples and pears for the season and got enough to make a decent amount of brandy I think.

A lot of the distilling books and stories I’ve read over the years say to never tell folks you’re doing it until you’ve been doing it for a bit, because they’ll want to try some and chances are your first few attempts at making something are going to turn out nasty until you get the hang of it.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Fortaleza posted:

and chances are your first few attempts at making something are going to turn out nasty until you get the hang of it.

yeah because dumdums just drink their foreshots and heads

like a minimal amount of googling is all that's needed. also idiots try selling their output to cocktail bars lol

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

3D Megadoodoo posted:

meadpost: I had honey mead in Harald, a viking-themed restaurant, and it was an OK food drink to go with my four-course meal (paid for by someone else). I also got real drunk and started telling jokes which was not received well.

tell us the jokes

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yeah because dumdums just drink their foreshots and heads

When you’re a busy modern man on the go and you need your motor function and kidney failure fast!

The “your first batches will probably be awful” advice I read was mostly about getting recipes wrong like trying to make your own gin and winging it with which herbs and ratios to use and loving it up, kinda like homebrewing and getting adjuncts wrong. Or making something like brandy and only bothering to distill once.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
in new orleans a few years ago (pre-2010s) a friend of mine was dating one of the bartenders at this cocktail place and on sunday nights we'd go in and hang out and generally screw around because it was so slow

on those nights it wasn't particularly weird for dumbass hipsters to come in and try to sell their bathtub whiskey made from distilled bucket beer or whatever, it was dumb as poo poo

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

in new orleans a few years ago (pre-2010s) a friend of mine was dating one of the bartenders at this cocktail place and on sunday nights we'd go in and hang out and generally screw around because it was so slow

on those nights it wasn't particularly weird for dumbass hipsters to come in and try to sell their bathtub whiskey made from distilled bucket beer or whatever, it was dumb as poo poo

Gross. Probably means they hosed up their bucket-based starter kit, which means they’d gently caress up anything.

I’d buy it if they had a sufficiently thick swamp cajun accent and vouched for it with “I gah-rohn-TEE it!” like that old tv chef guy. Otherwise no dice, their picture goes up on the “ATF todo list” board.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh like the ps3?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

piss three

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Methanar posted:

tell us the jokes

I don't remember what they were but I've been told they were poo-themed.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

I know whisky is kinda made from the same ingredients as beer but the mash is designed for whiskey, what does beer whisky taste like or what is it called

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's called whiskey OP

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
jerry cotton with food all over his face and a napkin tucked into his shirt shouting “shidding and farding!” over and over again while pounding on the table

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

graph posted:

mead is mediocre as heck

meadiocre

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

I'm glad the hipsters all died off

if you want to have a good time here you can go to Lawrenceville and check out people with the coolest haircuts of 2009

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
sore throat from a few days ago turned full blown head cold this morning. admitted my zombie bite to my gp and getting the covid test sometime today

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I found my voter ID card today and my precinct is 219 whatuuuuuup :madmax:

not that I’d bother voting in person anyway

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i voted in person because it's usually not very busy at my precinct. no wait at all this time.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

echinopsis posted:

I know whisky is kinda made from the same ingredients as beer but the mash is designed for whiskey, what does beer whisky taste like or what is it called

yeah just whiskey or moonshine and it tastes like death

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

DELETE CASCADE posted:

hops shouldn't just add bitterness, they should add their own distinctive flavors. old ipas taste like poo poo tho

one of those flavors is bitterness, and yes, old beer tastes bad? what’s your point

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Oh like the ps3?

:throws 100s: chadwarden got that pstriple

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
yikes

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

little lambs to the slaughter

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
*extremely liberal media voice* we need to reach out to these people and learn to understand them

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Roosevelt posted:

little lambs to the slaughter

:(

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if only there was some biblical allegory for getting through a plague by staying indoors...

e: oh yeah there's also matthew which is a bit more explicit about it

quote:

“Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven. “Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. “And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. ...

qirex fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.