Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

so the guy pretended to be a different guy back when it wouldnt matter at all who he was and its suddenly relevant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

GD_American posted:

Character development?

In MY 40k?

In this 40k Economy??

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

TK-42-1 posted:

so the guy pretended to be a different guy back when it wouldnt matter at all who he was and its suddenly relevant?

I will need to get hold of a copy to get the full plot, (not sure the artwork is my thing thought) but basically yeah.

It seems that it is an effort to make Ultramarines seem more interesting, because of secret pasts and lies and whatnot.
However the more interesting thing it explores is childhood indoctrination and how the process of space-marination kills most of them.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am pretty sure that what's happening Tacitus took the name Marnius Calgar when he became a marine to honour his dead friend. It was pretty clear the actual Marnius was dead and that was no secret, he's got a gold statue and a plaque with his name on it so no, everyone know's the boy born with that name is dead

But yea, Gillians comic is looking to be more interesting than what was expected. I hope they get some other books out, I'd buy the hell out of a comic retelling of Gaunts Ghosts or Eisenhorn, though I'd prefer original characters, so some new, different Guard regiment.

Also, each Marine chapter recruits differently. The Space Wolves send out Wolf Priests, their version of Chaplains to watch battles and find young warriors from among Fenris's clans to take away to the Fang and made recruits. There they are given the first processes to turn them into marines, then a huge feast is held where they eat and drink until they pass out. They wake up naked in the snow and have to find their way back to the Fang. The ones that survive become Space Wolves and join a Blood Claw pack, the others bones are gnawed at by the creatures that live there.

Most marines recruit from primative worlds, because they breed the hardiest and strongest warriors, though they take kids, so pretty much any recruitment world has some kind of ritual combat that chooses aspirants. I think the Blood Angels recruit from worlds outside of Baal, including Necromunda, taking hive gangers into their ranks? I know void borne chapters recruit from multiple worlds, including Dark Angels, who recruit from one world that had Native American like people on it. That's why you see lots of feathers on them and there's a whole story about why The Deathwing is painted bone white, as that world was taken over by genestealer cults.

Guard Regiments are more standard recruiting, but they tend to take into account local conditions. Like Krieg is an atomic wasteland so the Death Korps excel at fighting in such environments, not to mention the civil war they fought in caused them to devout their tactics to trench warfare. Or Catchachans from their death world jungle makes them exceptional jungle fighters. I've heard people ask why they're not turned into Marines and the offical answer was they were to technologically advanced to make proper marines?

My guard regiment, the Koniggratz Ironborn, are excellent city and trench fighters, and devoted to the Imperial Cult. Their world is an industrial world, that refined ores from the asteroid belts that made up much of their home system. The planet was extremely wealthy, but that weath was concentrated in their nobility, so the workers only had meger wages to survive on, so they turned to their faith. Originally the regiment from there was known was the Iron Grenadiers, but when the Nobility embraced Chaos (though the urging on Alpha Legion members), the workers rose up and took their world back. After executing every single one of the owners, approved by an Inquisitor, they now see the wealth benefits all people of the world, and field armies of devout and well trained guardsmen. The thing is i based them off WW1 Germans, but on the table top there's not too much differance between them as Nazis. This wasn't an issue back in like 2004 or whenever i made the army because Nazis weren't like a thing people had to deal with in their daily lives so no one thought about it, but now, yikes. So I've been changing all the Imperial German tricolours to Antifa flags, also changing some stuff in the paint scheme. Keeping Grey uniforms, but going to use an olive drab for their armor rather than a grey green that I used before.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Blood Angels do recruit from the wastelands of Baal iirc, with the book paying some attention to how the process transformers them from sickly War Boy looking kids to beautiful hulking killing machines. I think the Imperial Fists recruit from Necromunda.

Like your regiment's backstory, especially with the implication of the Alpha Legion being closet loyalists.

Insert a Name Here
Nov 1, 2020

]Heres comes a wild chalen-gerlrllr~

twistedmentat posted:

I am pretty sure that what's happening Tacitus took the name Marnius Calgar when he became a marine to honour his dead friend. It was pretty clear the actual Marnius was dead and that was no secret, he's got a gold statue and a plaque with his name on it so no, everyone know's the boy born with that name is dead

But yea, Gillians comic is looking to be more interesting than what was expected. I hope they get some other books out, I'd buy the hell out of a comic retelling of Gaunts Ghosts or Eisenhorn, though I'd prefer original characters, so some new, different Guard regiment.

Also, each Marine chapter recruits differently. The Space Wolves send out Wolf Priests, their version of Chaplains to watch battles and find young warriors from among Fenris's clans to take away to the Fang and made recruits. There they are given the first processes to turn them into marines, then a huge feast is held where they eat and drink until they pass out. They wake up naked in the snow and have to find their way back to the Fang. The ones that survive become Space Wolves and join a Blood Claw pack, the others bones are gnawed at by the creatures that live there.

Most marines recruit from primative worlds, because they breed the hardiest and strongest warriors, though they take kids, so pretty much any recruitment world has some kind of ritual combat that chooses aspirants. I think the Blood Angels recruit from worlds outside of Baal, including Necromunda, taking hive gangers into their ranks? I know void borne chapters recruit from multiple worlds, including Dark Angels, who recruit from one world that had Native American like people on it. That's why you see lots of feathers on them and there's a whole story about why The Deathwing is painted bone white, as that world was taken over by genestealer cults.

Guard Regiments are more standard recruiting, but they tend to take into account local conditions. Like Krieg is an atomic wasteland so the Death Korps excel at fighting in such environments, not to mention the civil war they fought in caused them to devout their tactics to trench warfare. Or Catchachans from their death world jungle makes them exceptional jungle fighters. I've heard people ask why they're not turned into Marines and the offical answer was they were to technologically advanced to make proper marines?

My guard regiment, the Koniggratz Ironborn, are excellent city and trench fighters, and devoted to the Imperial Cult. Their world is an industrial world, that refined ores from the asteroid belts that made up much of their home system. The planet was extremely wealthy, but that weath was concentrated in their nobility, so the workers only had meger wages to survive on, so they turned to their faith. Originally the regiment from there was known was the Iron Grenadiers, but when the Nobility embraced Chaos (though the urging on Alpha Legion members), the workers rose up and took their world back. After executing every single one of the owners, approved by an Inquisitor, they now see the wealth benefits all people of the world, and field armies of devout and well trained guardsmen. The thing is i based them off WW1 Germans, but on the table top there's not too much differance between them as Nazis. This wasn't an issue back in like 2004 or whenever i made the army because Nazis weren't like a thing people had to deal with in their daily lives so no one thought about it, but now, yikes. So I've been changing all the Imperial German tricolours to Antifa flags, also changing some stuff in the paint scheme. Keeping Grey uniforms, but going to use an olive drab for their armor rather than a grey green that I used before.

You're obviously a good man and an excellent assembler and painter but my constant lore criticism is that its THE ENDLESS UNVIVERSE OF HORRIBLE BULLSHIT and therefore inspiration from reality while inevitable, is worth actively discarding for it. Some of what you wrote here is hilarious, too.

I'm glad people have helped out a lot with building NIGHT LORDZ fluff, but I do a lot of war history research and that's why I made them as uninterpretable to real world militaries as possible.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Nice army and background all the same! But I can see why you want to change; I have met enough secret-Nazis at least to want to have no part in glorifying their perception of history.
I think that's why I go for Necrons and Orks, just to break away from and real-world histories and embrace the madness of 40k.

I have the new core rules book now and got to say I like what I'm seeing so far.
There are a lot of references to how poo poo and corrupt the imperium is, and a good deal of space marine art that depicts them as frothing lunatics. For example:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

twistedmentat posted:

Or Catchachans from their death world jungle makes them exceptional jungle fighters. I've heard people ask why they're not turned into Marines and the offical answer was they were to technologically advanced to make proper marines?

Nothing about Catchachans makes sense if you think about it for even a second...
They come from a death world where every living thing is trying to kill the all the time, they. can’t have cities because the jungle literally eats them. So everyone is Rambo all day everyday. The planet has no mineral resources (except enough metal to make their Rambo knives) and can’t be used for agriculture of any kind, so the only way they can fulfill their imperial tithes is by providing guard regiments full of 80s action movie tough guys and gals. So if the place is so deadly and resource poor why does anyone live there at all let alone how the hell do enough people survive that they can fill a single regiment?

Because gently caress you. A planet full of Schwarzenegger’s is cool that’s why. It’s peak 40k and I love it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've talked a lot of poo poo about Chaos, but joining the Space Marines doesn't seem like a good deal either, considering how you basically have to give up everything in your life, probably to never see anyone you ever cared about ever again and fight for the rest of your life until either something murders you horribly or your rotting flesh is no longer able to operate the coffin-robot they shoved you into after your body started to decay. Usually the most you personally get out of the deal other than the satisfaction of your own servitude is an enhanced lifespan to serve much, much longer.

It's no wonder that the Space Marines often find ways of maintaining their own dominion among the worlds they've saved, because not everyone has enough zealotry in them to deal with the endless battles.

The Imperial Guard usually die much more, but I assume that there's some kind of retirement age or limit to your tours of duty. If only because if they regularly shoved elderly guardsmen to the front to die, the fluff wouldn't shut up about that.

Bucnasti posted:

Nothing about Catchachans makes sense if you think about it for even a second...
They come from a death world where every living thing is trying to kill the all the time, they. can’t have cities because the jungle literally eats them. So everyone is Rambo all day everyday. The planet has no mineral resources (except enough metal to make their Rambo knives) and can’t be used for agriculture of any kind, so the only way they can fulfill their imperial tithes is by providing guard regiments full of 80s action movie tough guys and gals. So if the place is so deadly and resource poor why does anyone live there at all let alone how the hell do enough people survive that they can fill a single regiment?

Because gently caress you. A planet full of Schwarzenegger’s is cool that’s why. It’s peak 40k and I love it.

I think I've seen some people write that Catachan does have cities in little areas that have been totally scourged of life and are just little barren islands, although that kinda ruins the fun of it.

I don't think there needs to be a reason why humanity is living there, because that's half the fun of the human diaspora. Maybe they didn't choose to live there voluntarily, maybe the world was a lot less hostile place to live 30,000 years ago (there's a whole host of ways that could've changed between aliens, chaos, and the dark age of technology). Point is that there were humans there who managed to build a lasting civilization by the time the Imperium found the world again and discovered how hearty the people from there were. 40k loves the ethos of tough times making tough men.

There's the whole archetype of jungle people who know all the tips and tricks for living in an otherwise hostile area that normal people would quickly die in, although normally that's more for like the Amazon, and Catachan is more supposed to be Vietnam. Although Catachans are US soldiers in Vietnam, so that's more confusing.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

The Imperial Guard usually die much more, but I assume that there's some kind of retirement age or limit to your tours of duty. If only because if they regularly shoved elderly guardsmen to the front to die, the fluff wouldn't shut up about that.

There's an Eisenhorn story about a retired group the guard that go nuts from chaos/xeno ptsd and start murdering people.

Its been a while since I read it but I think the first Ghosts novel says something about guard regiments being used to found planetary governments on worlds they bring into compliance.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That’s one of the things I loved about the ending of Devastation of Baal: Guilleman arriving, taking one look around, and saying “uhhhh gently caress maybe hard worlds don’t make hard men. Maybe it just makes brutal and cruel men. Yo Dante, how about you focus on public works to make life not-terrible for the trillions of people we’ve trapped in this eternal hell.”:stare:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There should really be a Viet Cong regiment ngl

Although any plastic regiment imaginable is cooler than cadians.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I'll bite, what othe rbooks should I pick if I want to read Devastation of Baal as well?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Insert a Name Here posted:

You're obviously a good man and an excellent assembler and painter but my constant lore criticism is that its THE ENDLESS UNVIVERSE OF HORRIBLE BULLSHIT and therefore inspiration from reality while inevitable, is worth actively discarding for it. Some of what you wrote here is hilarious, too.

I'm glad people have helped out a lot with building NIGHT LORDZ fluff, but I do a lot of war history research and that's why I made them as uninterpretable to real world militaries as possible.

The worst thing is I did it because I had just finished reading All Quiet On the western front, so it makes it doubly upsetting.

This is probably why krieg became a blend of German, French and British ww1 stuff rather than just being straight up Germans.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's canon that Ciaphas Cain actually managed to live to retirement age, and eventually died of natural causes in his old age.

He's still listed as active and on the payroll though, because of all the times he'd gone missing and was presumed dead, only to turn up alive and well later on. The Munitorium decided it was just easier to keep him listed as active and drawing a paycheck than to have to keep updating his status back and forth between "Dead" and "Alive".

Bureaucracy! :shepface:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was always disappointed that they chose Cadians as The Guard. They were the least interesting both lore and visually. Valhallans would have been a better choice honestly. I keep hoping GW realizes that they or steel legion are more what people want. At least in my experience over the years.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I actually liked the old generic "here's your lasgun, here's your flak jacket, stand over there and shoot" take on the Imperial Guard. Like, I understand the color of having different planetary regiments, but I liked the facelessness of the whole thing. That, plus commissars and the penal legions (with exploding headbands), and whiteshields...I dunno. The early Guard stuff just had a different flavor to it. The hopelessness of being an imperceptibly tiny cog in the uncaring machine seemed to taste sharper then.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

I was always disappointed that they chose Cadians as The Guard. They were the least interesting both lore and visually.

it was catachans before it was cadians! people just weren't into the steroid freak look for guard, especially compared to the size of old marines and gorkamorka orks.

valhallans had a cool look, but the longcoats weren't really suited to a seam at the waist the way the other customizable kits had.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Guyver posted:

There's an Eisenhorn story about a retired group the guard that go nuts from chaos/xeno ptsd and start murdering people.

Its been a while since I read it but I think the first Ghosts novel says something about guard regiments being used to found planetary governments on worlds they bring into compliance.

Basically the Roman model, more or less. You end up sometimes founding new noble lines, or just a lot of bars with names like the 101st filled with quiet men with empty stares that you really, really don't want to try and rob.

Fly Molo posted:

That’s one of the things I loved about the ending of Devastation of Baal: Guilleman arriving, taking one look around, and saying “uhhhh gently caress maybe hard worlds don’t make hard men. Maybe it just makes brutal and cruel men. Yo Dante, how about you focus on public works to make life not-terrible for the trillions of people we’ve trapped in this eternal hell.”:stare:

That also makes sense, given the Ultramarines kind of have a hard-on for logistics and infrastructure.

Fly Molo posted:

I think I've seen some people write that Catachan does have cities in little areas that have been totally scourged of life and are just little barren islands, although that kinda ruins the fun of it.

I don't think there needs to be a reason why humanity is living there, because that's half the fun of the human diaspora. Maybe they didn't choose to live there voluntarily, maybe the world was a lot less hostile place to live 30,000 years ago (there's a whole host of ways that could've changed between aliens, chaos, and the dark age of technology). Point is that there were humans there who managed to build a lasting civilization by the time the Imperium found the world again and discovered how hearty the people from there were. 40k loves the ethos of tough times making tough men.

There's the whole archetype of jungle people who know all the tips and tricks for living in an otherwise hostile area that normal people would quickly die in, although normally that's more for like the Amazon, and Catachan is more supposed to be Vietnam. Although Catachans are US soldiers in Vietnam, so that's more confusing.

IIRC, Catachans have to burn out massive swatches of jungle to build villages, which are inevitably temporary as the jungle reclaims them with a vengeance eventually. And I'm pretty sure that the Imperium drops minimal (or less) necessary supplies to keep Catachan going specifically because Rambos are their main (and only) export, and they're the kind of lunatics you can drop into other hellworld jungles and not only survive but thrive. Where's the quote...

"We've run into scorpions the size of battle tanks, three men died from Eyerot last week, I've sweated enough to fill a lake, my boots just got sucked into a sink-swamp and the trees are so thick in places, you can't squeeze between them. Emperor help me, I love this place! It's just like home!"

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Nov 16, 2020

Insert a Name Here
Nov 1, 2020

twistedmentat posted:

I was always disappointed that they chose Cadians as The Guard. They were the least interesting both lore and visually. Valhallans would have been a better choice honestly. I keep hoping GW realizes that they or steel legion are more what people want. At least in my experience over the years.

I was thinking of your tabletop army last night. If the entire regiment is inspired by communist/socialist militaries, why not make the commissars pinkos? Make them a bunch of "no no I'm actually the good guy" types like Marx, Castro, and ESPECIALLY Che Guevara.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

I was thinking of your tabletop army last night. If the entire regiment is inspired by communist/socialist militaries, why not make the commissars pinkos? Make them a bunch of "no no I'm actually the good guy" types like Marx, Castro, and ESPECIALLY Che Guevara.

:thunk:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

What?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea my army is literally Irish and German workers that rose up to overthrow the capitalists.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Text-to-speech device makes me realise that basically everyone in the entire Imperium in any position of power has absolutely terminal daddy issues

the warham chuds are coming from inside the thread

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

are you lost

Insert a Name Here
Nov 1, 2020

Cease to Hope posted:

are you lost

KONRAD CURZE DOESN'T GET LOST.

..Okay sometimes he does.

lol

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Text-to-speech device makes me realise that basically everyone in the entire Imperium in any position of power has absolutely terminal daddy issues

Except the Emperor. Who is the daddy issue.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The emperor had a thousand daddies who all committed suicide to bring him into existence without sticking around to actually guide him in the world.

Might be part of how he was pretty hands-off with parenting, even after finding his children again.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

RickRogers posted:

Nice army and background all the same! But I can see why you want to change; I have met enough secret-Nazis at least to want to have no part in glorifying their perception of history.
I think that's why I go for Necrons and Orks, just to break away from and real-world histories and embrace the madness of 40k.

I have the new core rules book now and got to say I like what I'm seeing so far.
There are a lot of references to how poo poo and corrupt the imperium is, and a good deal of space marine art that depicts them as frothing lunatics. For example:

I'm the skull in the iron halo....
wait what thread is this?
Where are the constant scrunt posts?
Where's moola?

???

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KONRAD CURZE DOESN'T GET LOST.

..Okay sometimes he does.

lol

ah, having a normal one itt

Leftism is good, friend. Plus let’s be fair: Stalin was a wayyyyyy better dad than the Emperor ever was.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Reading up on 50k and it is....something

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

GD_American posted:

Reading up on 50k and it is....something

What kind of crazy has the fans cooked up now?
Outside of the various /tg/ iterations of nobledark and so forth the only other alt universe I can think of for 40k is the one where Marines join up with the Tau because someone put down some serious effort into the art.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Cooked Auto posted:

What kind of crazy has the fans cooked up now?

It's actually really well written and by someone that apparently understands the setting very well, it's just that it gets so exhausting when the already existing 40k theme of "and then it got worse" goes up a notch

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
How has it gotten worse?

I mean IMO 50k should just be everyone's dead except Orks and Tyranids who fight forever.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Bucnasti posted:

How has it gotten worse?

I mean IMO 50k should just be everyone's dead except Orks and Tyranids who fight forever.

- Emperor finally kicks the bucket
- With no Astronomicon, the Imperium falls apart. Any warp travel becomes exceptionally hazardous, and thousands of mini-empires occur
- The Emperor's death gives birth to the Star Child, who becomes the Star Father, a fifth warp god dedicated to hivemind, unthinking order
- Yarrick dies as a villain on an Imperial planet during a citizens' uprising
- Hive Fleet Leviathan becomes more and more Orky until they become practically unstoppable, before turning on a dime and loving off out of the galaxy for reasons unknown
- Abaddon basically makes himself a Chaos Imperium, although Huron and others remain in conflict
- Tau become embittered and xenophobic, and basically become their version of the Imperium.
- The Ecclesiarchy takes over one of the mini-Imperiums and basically creates an eternal Spanish Inquisition-slash-Holocaust
- Chaos takes over Terra and the entire Sol system except the Grey Knights on Titan,
- until the AdMechs cult manages to resurrect the Void Dragon on Mars. He basically scorches every planet in the system, scouring them of life once a week or so. Chaos grows back almost instantly. The Dragon is trapped in the system because Abbadon did some super-Chaos poo poo in the Oort Cloud.
- Other C'tan/Necron gods (I'm a little weak in this area) start popping back up
- The Eldar finally kick the bucket
- All the Assassin temples go out in a blaze of glory
- Calgar dies in a pointless crusade, his replacement is basically Nero and Ultramar becomes a horror show

Well done, but eventually you hit a personal grimdark limit

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Yikes

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

My favorite is that M'kar leads the assault on Titan, using a body just made up of a bunch of buildings, tanks, and other poo poo from Terra, but the face he uses has the Emperor's corpse in the Golden Throne dead smack in the middle of his face.

Obviously this angered the Grey Knights somewhat

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Nah nah nah nah nah nah nah naaahh Imperator Damacy

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

GD_American posted:

- The Eldar finally kick the bucket

So I guess this was written before any of the stuff about the new eldar god of death was written.

I feel like most of the changes that have come from progressing the story have wound up making the setting more hopeful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Yeah that's a bit much I feel.