Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I stopped there on a bus one time, the downtown was almost a ghost downtown. When the people on the bus were outside smoking one guy who was heading toward getting married was freaking out and showing people pictures she was sending him in that moment.

On the same trip, another guy was making a documentary about agriculture, and there was some woman who had survived cancer who was traveling with some man who wanted to be with her but she was clear she wasn't but was, so to speak, all like "yeah sure I'll go on the bus tirp you're paying for."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I made a thread about the medium I am most passionate about and ain't nobody postin in it. :ohdear:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3939443 What did I do wrong with my OP?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
The Omaha art scene is pretty cool and diverse, it’s also just 4 hours to Kansas City which also has a good art scene. despite the city trying to smother it out of them.

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006
LISTEN TO THIS SHITTY SONG BY MY SHITTY BAND! used tire.mp3
anyone have any opinions on flatbed scanners? i'm looking at the epson V39 or V600. my alma mater used Epson V37s (V39 is the updated version) in their labs, which i loved, but i'm wondering if i should splurge on the V600. i'd mostly scan illustrations for zine making and digitizing hand lettered stuff. usually i'd just pop over to the library to scan things, but saving $100-250 isn't worth risking coronavirus imo. plus i have a huge backlog of things to scan now. i have a 2015 macbook pro if that makes a difference.

edit: nevermind, i think i'm just gonna go ahead and get the V39. it's 3" shorter than the V600 and honestly space might be a larger determining factor in my life right now.

also i somehow missed the "stupid little questions" thread, sorry!

Spanish Inquisition fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 8, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
At the behest of a friend, I'm trying to get motivated again and start up a website for my art.

I would like the site to have a nice gallery view, which I can upload new pieces easily. Viewers could then click a piece for close-up, a write up about it, and a place to order a print.

I don't really need a blog, but I guess that's okay.

For examples of what I'd like to have: something like Scott C.'s website , Maja Wronska's site , and Jenny Kroik's site, I would just like a link for "Purchase" under the pictures, or something.

What website client is going to be simple, affordable and give allow me the layout I like without too much hassle?

Thanks in advance to any advice.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 8, 2020

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I made a thread about the medium I am most passionate about and ain't nobody postin in it. :ohdear:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3939443 What did I do wrong with my OP?
you did absolutely nothing wrong! this is just a very quiet subforum of a very quiet forum. there's not much traffic here except for people posting their stuff in the megathreads, and i don't think i've seen any regulars who are vj artists on your level. you could try cross-posting your thread in some of the other subforums, there are definitely goons out there who'd love it, they just might not check cccc all that often

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

fauna posted:

you did absolutely nothing wrong! this is just a very quiet subforum of a very quiet forum. there's not much traffic here except for people posting their stuff in the megathreads, and i don't think i've seen any regulars who are vj artists on your level. you could try cross-posting your thread in some of the other subforums, there are definitely goons out there who'd love it, they just might not check cccc all that often

it is, I'm afraid! most people who come to CC have specific threads they go to so i'm always very happy for people to come pimp their threads in this thread or other subs.

I've passed on your link to my buddy steeltoedsneakers who does live video for my gigs.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Thanks for the positive reinforcement fauna and sebmojo. I was kinda pulling my hair out freaking out until I got my first reply. I am not so good at patience these days.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

my friends... i am nothing but a fool.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Idk op it seems like a good post. Goons have posted a couple of my visualizer videos it seems; if you’re looking for content I can drop a few in there as I make more.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Warbird posted:

Idk op it seems like a good post. Goons have posted a couple of my visualizer videos it seems; if you’re looking for content I can drop a few in there as I make more.

:justpost: i'm kinda heads down on learning piano at this moment

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

it has been six years since i finished my useless graphic design degree and i have barely designed a fart in all that time. now i am trying to reawaken that part of my brain

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

-------
graphic
design
* is my *
PASSION
-------

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

fauna posted:

-------
graphic
design
* is my *
PASSION
-------

ehhh, not enough fonts

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

fauna posted:

-------
graphic
design
* is my *
PASSION
-------

Ok cc creative chat thread :siren: MOD CHALLENGE:siren:

Craft a poster with those words in the next, oh, five days. The most insane and/or inspirational will win an avatar of my own devising

This is open to everyone, don't feel you need skills or talent to enter

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I am trying to make a habit of doing artdome more and I really like the prompt this week: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3890426&pagenumber=20#post508237833 (Draw magical folk inspired by real life forests)

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

True and Interesting Facts about Horse

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

What is the fruit?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Look inside ur OWN HEART to find the answer

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
is it just me or does james gurney sound a lot like pete seeger?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DisYJlAF2CI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-sQSp5jbSQ

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

my attempts to regain my lost mastery (lol) of graphic design were all for nothing, because i had a panic attack on the phone and told the client i was the wrong person for the job. problem solved!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

hi goons. i've just posted a state of the nation open thread for CC. please come and share your thoughts!

pikachu as willy loman from death of a salesman

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Kanine posted:

is it just me or does james gurney sound a lot like pete seeger?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DisYJlAF2CI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-sQSp5jbSQ

I used to watch gurney years ago and then stopped for some reason. This is way different than I remember, but I love it. Maybe its not 3hat I was looking for then and I didn't notice.

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

True and Interesting Facts about Horse

sebmojo posted:

Craft a poster with those words in the next, oh, five days. The most insane and/or inspirational will win an avatar of my own devising

Oi mod, where's my new avatar

TVsVeryOwn posted:

What is the fruit?

Passionfruit, obviously

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yoruichi posted:

Oi mod, where's my new avatar

in the mail

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

nvm

fauna fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 5, 2020

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

sebmojo posted:

Very mad that I’m just now seeing this. Going to strongly consider making this an Artdome prompt if I ever finish an entrywin again.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

coronavirus artblock extends beyond the visual arts. heaps of my neighbours play instruments, and in the before times it was rare not to hear someone practicing at least once a day, but today i realised i haven't heard a peep out of any of them for months

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I started my job with the USPS at the end of March and I am just so exhausted that I have not done a god drat thing.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

I started my job with the USPS at the end of March and I am just so exhausted that I have not done a god drat thing.

My best friend has worked for USPS for about 5+ years now. It gets better. Your first year is the hardest, but after that, you'll get acclimated, and the ridiculous income will mostly compensate for everything else (assuming the government doesn't gently caress with the USPS again anytime soon).

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Just a friendly reminder that the next art dome round is live! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3890426&pagenumber=21#post508830150

Rooms that reveal the character of their occupants.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
So a little while ago Sebmojo asked people to weigh in on what could make CC better and a big thing was that it would be nice to have a central, bookmarkable hub for links and projects. To that end we've come up with the Creative Convention project index, where people can link to their individual threads. Also included is a list of links I hope are helpful.

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.
Do.we have a CC discord?

E: thanks!

bltzn fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 20, 2020

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Check up thread a bit to back around the time the low tax news broke. Folks made a number of fallback discords around then.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I am curious to know which Discords are active and not run by weirdos. For writers and idiots, the Thunderdome Discord is very active, but I'm curious if there are other, similarly active goon art servers. I would love to have a list of them if so!!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

bltzn posted:

Do.we have a CC discord?

Sitting Here posted:

I am curious to know which Discords are active and not run by weirdos. For writers and idiots, the Thunderdome Discord is very active, but I'm curious if there are other, similarly active goon art servers. I would love to have a list of them if so!!

Visual Arts

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Hi CC Chat! I'm doing some Xmas shopping and would like to get my father-in-law a how-to-draw book for nature things or animals. He just likes doodling, really, but all the how to books I've been able to find either have too much reading (he's not a big reader) or are geared towards kids. Do any of y'all know of something that would fit this description?

Thanks!

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I made a post in the OSHA thread about some sketchy poo poo that happened when I was in art school.

Kanine posted:

ok so just off the top of my head some stories

-i seriously cant count how many shop accidents i knew of or directly witnessed that were directly a result of art students abusing prescription drugs like adderall/xanax/etc., extreme sleep deprivation during finals crunch, or a combination thereof. most of what im writing here is related to that.

-a professor who was in the same program in undergrad talked about how he was in the metal shop adjacent to the plaster rooms one night during studio hours and suddenly heard muffled screaming. he ran into the room and saw a girl trying to cast her arm in plaster of paris. he grabbed a hammer and started breaking it but by the time they got the girls arm out she had burns bad enough that she needed skin grafts on most of her hand and forearm. apparently she passed out which seems merciful at least.

-same professor: when he was in intro to metal fabrication his professor at the time took a plasma cutter and pressed it against the palm of his hand and said "i can pull the trigger with nothing happening because im wearing rubber shoes so there's no complete circuit" (or something like that i cant remember) but he was leaning against one of the metal welding tables, so the plasma cutter blasted a perfect tiny hole through the palm of his hand. he apparently was super lucky because it didnt do much damage and shot right between the tendons in his hand. the professor said later he now knows what its like to get stabbed with a lightsaber

-when i was a freshman during studio hours i saw a dude in the wood shop start grinding a piece of metal with a disk sander over a pile of sawdust from previous wood sanding. the sawdust poofed into flames from the sparks and the shop tech ran over with a fire extinguisher. the department head sent out an email to the whole school explaining "hey there's a reason we have separate wood and metal shops"

-i know this sounds relatively tame but holy gently caress the most injuries ive ever seen come from a single source was the intro printmaking classes. every single person i know in the illustration program i know who did printmaking classes has scars all over their hands from using those special carving tools for linoleum carving for linocut prints. seriously everyone i knew would never stick down their linoleum block with double sided tape and just end up holding it with their hand and then *whoopsie* now you sliced open the side of your hand/finger and your linoleum block is covered in blood!

-so so so many instances of foot or other lifting-related injuries in the metal/wood shops because sleep deprived students who were too shy/awkward/tired/etc. to ask a shop tech for help moving a heavy object they were working on.

-i knew like 3 different people who accidentally shot pin nails into their hands because they were holding a thin piece with their hand directly behind the nailgun muzzle.

-a student tried cutting a wooden sphere they found on a bandsaw in one of the woodshops and when it caught and spun because of the blade they got the tip of their thumb very messily sliced off.

-i should admit i had my fair share of injuries involving chisels. i never had any accidents with power tools because i think even when i was sleep deprived the noise and speed of the power tool kept me on my toes. all my shop injuries were hand tools because i felt like i was in control and had my guard down.

-the year before i started apparently a student did a project where they tried making a flamethrower out of pvc pipes or something. i wish i could have seen that.

-so many instances of angle grinder disks exploding!

-an acquaintance in one of my woodworking classes got one of those chainsaw tooth angle grinder disks to carve a seat for a chair and holy poo poo those things are sketchy as all hell. he didnt have any accidents with it but literally everyone kept a minimum of 10 feet away from him when he was working on that thing out of fear it would explode or he would lose control and it would run away or something

-not osha but one of the shop techs liked drawing dicks whenever he tested the plasma cutter or cnc or other equipment so when i went to his apartment for a party one time he had a ton of random metal cocks all over the place

I'm curious if anyone else has their own interesting OSHA safety stories to tell about their experiences in art school/in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Kanine posted:

I made a post in the OSHA thread about some sketchy poo poo that happened when I was in art school.

I'm curious if anyone else has their own interesting OSHA safety stories to tell about their experiences in art school/in general.

Xacto knives. I escaped unscathed but I knew plenty who did not

quote:

i know this sounds relatively tame but holy gently caress the most injuries ive ever seen come from a single source was the intro printmaking classes

But that’s just part of the artistic process