Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Speaking of money pits, did they ever get a carriage deal for the new TV channel they moved Cubs games to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dinosaurs! posted:

Speaking of money pits, did they ever get a carriage deal for the new TV channel they moved Cubs games to?

they got it on Comcast, the main cable provider for chicago, literally the morning of opening day as everyone melted down.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Carlosologist posted:

I mean, if they acquire Lindor then it’s fine to let him walk. To let him walk without a plan would be pretty bad

The idea of giving up a ton of assets for Lindor who isn't even as good as DJ is and who you can have for just cash would be monumentally stupid.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/DannyVietti/status/1329541374153084928

Okay Manfred.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I hated the extra inning rule way less than I thought I would and 7 inning DH's are good... The main thing they have to get rid of is the expanded playoffs.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

By then the billionaires will have been able to lobby for the players to get priority on vaccines (at no cost to said billionaires of course) so it'll be fine

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Expanded playoffs must go at all costs, on that I agree with mcmagic

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

mcmagic posted:

I hated the extra inning rule way less than I thought I would and 7 inning DH's are good... The main thing they have to get rid of is the expanded playoffs.

The extra inning rule is an atrocity and 7-inning doubleheaders are something you play in high school. But yes, the expanded playoffs are crap, either limit it to 6 teams per league or expand MLB accordingly.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uKIeamPi2Y

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I would be extremely surprised if a middle infielder got 5 years in this upcoming market when he's already 31

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I can't imagine we see expansion soon. I'd be fine if they made the wild card game into a best of three, but other than that, expanded playoffs are gross. Hell, even the Brewers hated it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

blossommirage posted:

I can't imagine we see expansion soon. I'd be fine if they made the wild card game into a best of three, but other than that, expanded playoffs are gross. Hell, even the Brewers hated it.

Expansion? They should be contracting teams.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
no they shouldn’t

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

GalacticAcid posted:

no they shouldn’t

what if they contract the yankees

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fix It posted:

what if they contract the yankees

Well they'd have to do the same in the NL.

Oh hey what do you know? I drew the Cardinals.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

blossommirage posted:

The owners are gonna do it ASAP once the CBA and Corona are behind them- they want the quick infusion of cash and expanded playoffs.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/StevenACohen2/status/1329595853774970880

https://twitter.com/StevenACohen2/status/1329613617256345603

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MLB C/V Offseason: If it's that painful I can make it July 2

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
gently caress all billionaires but this dude has serious shitposting chops

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Spoeank posted:

The best billionaire is a dead billionaire, but the second-best is one who spends his ludicrous wealth in understandable ways

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

The year is 2032. Twenty four teams now vie for the Commissioner’s Trophy, baseball’s most coveted piece of metal, in the electrifying MLB postseason. This exclusive competition from among the league’s thirty teams has already seen season length, gate receipts, and advertiser impression metrics climb to previously unseen heights.

“The introduction of a three-team round robin format to each League Championship Series honors our sport’s rich history of piecemeal changes,” said MLB commissioner Rob Manfred. “I look forward to assisting the owner of our upcoming World Series champion in being the first to hoist my office’s trophy above their decrepit head some time in late November or early December.”

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Are we sure Cohen isn’t a goon posting in this very thread

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Are we sure Cohen isn’t a goon posting in this very thread

Are you saying that Cohen is a Big Mean Jerk?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Popete posted:

Well they'd have to do the same in the NL.

Oh hey what do you know? I drew the Cardinals.

wow, what rotten luck

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Spoeank posted:

:emptyquote:

(but especially hedge fund billiionaires)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Are we sure it’s him and not an intern or something

He posts like a 20 year old

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

mcmagic posted:

Lindor who isn't even as good as DJ

:discourse:

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Boras expects the Blue Jays to be aggressive during free agency.

This is the sort of news that will keep me going for days.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Another winter of Arenado Dodgers rumors. I still think it's unlikely because the Rockies will want a kings ransom to send him to LA to counter the monumental PR hit they'd take for it.

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1329772875402911745

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dodgers can probably get KB by offering the cubs a low level prospect and a donation to the rudy giuliani election superpac

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

Dodgers can probably get KB by offering the cubs a low level prospect and a donation to the rudy giuliani election superpac

Please. It'll be a generous donation to the Pence 2024 campaign.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

why was Kris Bryant so terrible this year?

that is.... not great

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

bawfuls posted:

that is.... not great

Injury and lack of fucks given.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

that is.... not great

He keeps loving up his shoulder.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Trading Arenado to the loving Dodgers would be a death blow to the Rockies franchise. Not exaggerating. People here would literally stop rooting for the team.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah it's been floated every winter for years and I just don't see it. The Dodgers are the big baddie in the division. They are THE villain to fanbases in the rest of the west. Trading your franchise cornerstone to that team is inconceivably stupid, and doubly so because there is no reality where the Rockies manage to swindle Andrew Friedman of all people into over-paying.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
One thing that really stood out about the Cubs offense this year was just how bad they were at hitting high velocity fastballs. They could beat up middling to bad teams that didn't have a lot of pitching depth but as soon as they saw someone throwing 95+ they really struggled.

I wonder if it's been an ongoing issue that held over from the Maddon years. He was pretty lax about enforcing BP and guys getting to the field early and I wonder if the Cubs offensive decline can be attributed to a lack of consistently seeing high velocity when training.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

are BP fastballs typically 95+?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

One thing that really stood out about the Cubs offense this year was just how bad they were at hitting high velocity fastballs. They could beat up middling to bad teams that didn't have a lot of pitching depth but as soon as they saw someone throwing 95+ they really struggled.

I wonder if it's been an ongoing issue that held over from the Maddon years. He was pretty lax about enforcing BP and guys getting to the field early and I wonder if the Cubs offensive decline can be attributed to a lack of consistently seeing high velocity when training.

It's not a BP issue, it's a hitting philosophy issue. The Cubs fully bought into launch angle and three true outcomes, which was the dominant strategy in 2015-2017. But then the league adjusted to it with more velo (counter power swings), more fastballs up (counter uppercut swings), and less sinkers/low pitches in the zone. Instead of adjusting back, the Cubs have continued to go all in on launch angle which results in an offense that's overly dependent on HR's and strikes out way too much. They tried to bring in Chili to preach a more contact-oriented approach and half the team literally revolted at the idea and banded together in exit interviews to blame the second half of 2018 on him which got him fired.

And I mean look, I'm not exactly saying the Cubs have to teach Javy plate discipline or anything. Just that I'm so loving sick of everybody on the team taking gigantic moon swings when there's RISP and a goddamn oppo single would put the Cubs up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

Trading Arenado to the loving Dodgers would be a death blow to the Rockies franchise. Not exaggerating. People here would literally stop rooting for the team.
How do Colorado fans feel about SF these days? Would they meltdown if Farhan snuck in and grabbed Arenado?