Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

homebrew is open sores so you can just port it yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

yeah i’ll port it right into the trash can

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
lol, the “won’t be supported till mid 2021” thing is coming from the fact that gcc 11 stable won’t be released till then, which means no fortran compiler, which is apparently still a fundamental requirement in 2020 somehow

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Soricidus posted:

lol, the “won’t be supported till mid 2021” thing is coming from the fact that gcc 11 stable won’t be released till then, which means no fortran compiler, which is apparently still a fundamental requirement in 2020 somehow

that reason is LAPACK

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

macports lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
you know what they say, a computer without FORTRAN and cobol is like a chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

:vomarine:

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

hobbesmaster posted:

that reason is LAPACK

LAPACK’s daemon

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
just rewrite everything in swift

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The Management posted:

apple will likely come out with a new chip for higher end machines either around March or next September that will be suitable for the mbp15, iMac, and maybe a new mini server. it will feature more cores, more PCIe lanes, a fatter gpu, and off-package ram that goes above 16 gigs.

What are the chances they don't? Instead just release a M2 chip for all models with improvements across the board.

The development costs and reward don't seem to match Apple's business model.

(1) Release a M1x dedicated design for high-performance systems, just increasing core counts.
(2) Release a new chip package with say multiple M1 modules within.
(3) Design a M1 multi-socket beast, turning the clock back decades.
(4) Defer to Intel/AMD.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 19, 2020

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

MrMoo posted:

(3) Design a M1 multi-socket beast, turning the clock back decades.

how is this? it’s less than a decade since apple last sold a multi-socket mac, and it’s still a perfectly common design feature for other vendors’ workstations and servers. hell, it’s about 10 years since I last used a single-cpu box at work.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I can see apple going soc only, like the mac pro will be one huge chip and the only options at order are cpu cores, gpu core, ram and ml cores, the only things you can add yourself are pci-e cards.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Soricidus posted:

how is this? it’s less than a decade since apple last sold a multi-socket mac, and it’s still a perfectly common design feature for other vendors’ workstations and servers. hell, it’s about 10 years since I last used a single-cpu box at work.
things have changed since the last multi-socket mac though. i imagine 64 core smt zens with decent clocks pushed mp systems out to the edgiest of cases. now that’s not to say they are no longer useful, but probably well outside the intended target for mac pros(macs pro?)

but nobody knows the upper limit of cores on apple cpu’s or if multi socket would even make sense from a design standpoint. i don’t know poo poo about cpu design but it’d probably make more sense to have all the cores on one die and make a bigger socket to match. but i also think that there’s potential manufacturing limitations that make multi cpu systems make sense.

it’s gonna be interesting to see what they’ll top out at and how they do it though.

Perplx posted:

I can see apple going soc only, like the mac pro will be one huge chip and the only options at order are cpu cores, gpu core, ram and ml cores, the only things you can add yourself are pci-e cards.
yeah, basically this.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
just fill the whole Mac with one big chip

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Apple did it. It's game over. All the haters said it could never happen but I'm too lazy to search for those posts. Apple's PC market share will 2x over the next few years.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Silver Alicorn posted:

just fill the whole Mac with one big chip
forget noctua, strap a lasko to that binch.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
one big beautiful unibody silicon Mac. feel the chip in your hands

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
mac pro Oops! All chips! edition

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Like Cerebras wafer-cpu?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

mac pro Oops! All chips! edition

a solid block of silicon the size of a tower case. hook it up to a three phase dedicated breaker and your cold water feed

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

we are all hornied up for a 64 core Mac Pro SOC edition but have we considered - the M1, as is, in a Mac Pro chassis, for $10000?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
a proprietary blade enclosure for 6 macminis with daisy chained thunderbolt networking milled out of our of single block of aluminum

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Laslow posted:

things have changed since the last multi-socket mac though. i imagine 64 core smt zens with decent clocks pushed mp systems out to the edgiest of cases. now that’s not to say they are no longer useful, but probably well outside the intended target for mac pros(macs pro?)

maybe? all I really know here is that my new ws has dual xeons, not a single threadripper. maybe our it dept is just overly conservative but there’s clearly a market.

amd’s high end also seems to be dual socket epyc.

yes, this is a different market from any apple is in so it doesn’t directly apply, but up until a few days ago there wasn’t a market for arm laptops outside limited tablet hybrids and poo poo-tier chromebooks, so it’s not unthinkable that apple might decide they can also get away with sticking two m1s in a single box or something.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Perplx posted:

a proprietary blade enclosure for 6 macminis with daisy chained thunderbolt networking milled out of our of single block of aluminum

at the exact same moment in time but in two separate locations, jony and timb just ejaculated

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

cremnob posted:

Apple did it. It's game over. All the haters said it could never happen but I'm too lazy to search for those posts. Apple's PC market share will 2x over the next few years.
hi cremnob!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

cremnob posted:

:hmmyes:

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
apple might run into the same issue as intel when it comes to chip sizes. At a certain point, it becomes crazy expensive to make decently binned ones

AMD went chiplet for a reason and they took like 5 years before it wasn’t a steaming pile of doodoo

maybe apple can do it in 2 for the BMW M3 chip

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MeruFM posted:

apple might run into the same issue as intel when it comes to chip sizes. At a certain point, it becomes crazy expensive to make decently binned ones

AMD went chiplet for a reason and they took like 5 years before it wasn’t a steaming pile of doodoo

maybe apple can do it in 2 for the BMW M3 chip

it’s already module on module with the memory and being independent of the rest of the SoM

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

cremnob posted:

even the optimised ARM Final Cut Pro on the new MBP is about 20% slower in h264 encoding than previous gen MBP (or ~40% slower than the highend MBP)

e: though the GPU performance is surprisingly okay, I wasn't expecting that, but the CPU is pretty much what I expected

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 20, 2020

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

it’s already module on module with the memory and being independent of the rest of the SoM

but doesn't splitting CPU cores into multiple modules with "shared" L3 mean a ton of weirdness and latency and overhead at basic poo poo like thread balancing?

iunno, i'm not a transistor janitor

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MeruFM posted:

but doesn't splitting CPU cores into multiple modules with "shared" L3 mean a ton of weirdness and latency and overhead at basic poo poo like thread balancing?

iunno, i'm not a transistor janitor

ryzen is fine despite those penalties across chiplets

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

ryzen is fine despite those penalties across chiplets

zen 3 is fine. 2 is mostly fine. 1 and plus were (interesting) trainwrecks

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Private Speech posted:

even the optimised ARM Final Cut Pro on the new MBP is about 20% slower in h264 encoding than previous gen MBP (or ~40% slower than the highend MBP)

e: though the GPU performance is surprisingly okay, I wasn't expecting that, but the CPU is pretty much what I expected

i mean who knows what's going on with specific software, especially software that's probably got a poo poo ton of vector code. it's like how you can't compare "game performance" between two systems by comparing the performance of the same game across them because that "same game" is actually two radically different ports and performance usually varies with the time dedicated to the problem. if the final cut pro team had to put all their time into getting an arm64 port working at all and haven't had much time to tune their simd algorithms then that's what you'd expect to see

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that’s bullshit you absolutely can compare anything to anything else whatsoever

apples vs sadness?

oranges vs gravity?

purple vs blanka from street fighter 2

red bull and vodka vs time travel

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

one of everything in the right column, thanks

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

one of everything in the right column, thanks

idk I do like apples

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Private Speech posted:

likely they’re using a simd portability layer that doesn’t do as well on ARM as on Intel. the m1 has a hardware h.264 encoder, but they probability didn’t get around to supporting that yet

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
my 2015 MacBook Pro has battery swelling that's hosed the hard disk too. 𝓰𝓮𝓷𝓲𝓾𝓼 bar says it's ~950 to fix all up because they have to replace the entire enclosure, it's almost as though they make these hard to repair or something!

how are the new laptops? the 16" is like 4-5k in my country. the 13" is like 2k and have new chips? do they have the terrible new keyboards?

I'm not using my laptop much atm so I might just keep it as is and boot off a spare external drive and use it as a ghetto desktop

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

crepeface posted:

my 2015 MacBook Pro has battery swelling that's hosed the hard disk too. 𝓰𝓮𝓷𝓲𝓾𝓼 bar says it's ~950 to fix all up because they have to replace the entire enclosure, it's almost as though they make these hard to repair or something!

how are the new laptops? the 16" is like 4-5k in my country. the 13" is like 2k and have new chips? do they have the terrible new keyboards?

I'm not using my laptop much atm so I might just keep it as is and boot off a spare external drive and use it as a ghetto desktop

i just gave very similar advice in a gray forum thread to someone needing a 2015 mbp replacement

right now, if you are ok with the limitations (at most 16gb ram, 2 usb ports, 1 external monitor, 13.3" display), and do not have a need to run x86 windows or 32-bit x86 mac apps, there is no question about it. buy one of the m1 macsbooks, pro or air

pro if you actually want the touchbar, want it to never throttle under any circumstance, or want 15% more battery life

air if you want no touchbar, don't care about mild throttling that only kicks in after like 10 minutes of full load, and like fanless computing

either one will beat the snot out of a 2015 mbp, both cpu and graphics. by many measures they're faster than a decked out 2019 16" i9

they unfucked the keyboards even before the new M1 models, so no need to worry about that (and by unfucked, i mean "reverted to the good pre-fuckup mechanism" rather than "tried one more bandaid fix")

if some of that sounds like you don't want it, and you can do so, consider waiting for the next wave of ARM macs which should include a bigger screen pro that supports more ram

right now, buying an intel mac without some ultra compelling requirement feels criminally irresponsible, the arm chip is that much better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
to echo; it is crushing every intel Mac out there, and compares favorably to Ryzen desktop processors.

folks are running tomb raider at 30 FPS on the air, using the code translation tool they built in.