Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I think in terms of sequels they’ve performed pretty well, though 1 and 2 are still arguable the best. I’ve grown pretty fond of the little specials they did for 3 and 4 though, just for fun antics and world building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Neon Noodle posted:

Each Toy Story film builds upon the existential horror of the ideas posited by the first Toy Story film

I maintain they've never reached the level of Brave Little Toaster.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Schwarzwald posted:

I maintain they've never reached the level of Brave Little Toaster.

I was thinking about this movie just yesterday. Such a great film.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
https://twitter.com/RottenTomatoes/status/1328753659484594178

At least they don't talk in this one?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I mean the animation looks good and it looks proper Tom and Jerry violent sounds I'm down. The human story part feels like they just couldn't figure out how to make a Tom and Jerry cartoon last 90 minutes :v: also the music cut to the slapstick in that trailer is done really well

Also what the heck is the song in the trailer, google is ZERO help. Just finding me videos of actual bouncy houses. Am I totally mishearing the lyrics?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I know I'm uhh seven years late to the party but I saw The Wind Rises yesterday and I'm having a lot of emotions now.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Macaluso posted:

I mean the animation looks good and it looks proper Tom and Jerry violent sounds I'm down. The human story part feels like they just couldn't figure out how to make a Tom and Jerry cartoon last 90 minutes :v: also the music cut to the slapstick in that trailer is done really well

Also what the heck is the song in the trailer, google is ZERO help. Just finding me videos of actual bouncy houses. Am I totally mishearing the lyrics?

Absolutely no clips of Tom howling in pain :colbert:

It is me, the Tom and Jerry connoisseur

Seriously though it doesn't look bad at all but I feel like it needs some people who can actually do physical comedy if they want to do live action and animation. Not to Tom and Jerry levels but something to meet them halfway.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
gently caress Jerry, what the gently caress is he doing in a persons house. He's always stealing poo poo or whatever, get him the gently caress out of there. I'm on team Tom.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Absolutely no clips of Tom howling in pain :colbert:

It is me, the Tom and Jerry connoisseur

Seriously though it doesn't look bad at all but I feel like it needs some people who can actually do physical comedy if they want to do live action and animation. Not to Tom and Jerry levels but something to meet them halfway.

Thanks, I think you identified what was falling flat for me - the animation and action is pretty good, but honestly gets muted when paired up against the live actors.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Lego Star Wars Holiday Special is not good. If you're expecting something like the Lego Movies, you would be very mistaken.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Lego Star Wars Holiday Special is not good. If you're expecting something like the Lego Movies, you would be very mistaken.

What did you expect from a Star Wars Holiday Special? :v:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

PierreTheMime posted:

I think in terms of sequels they’ve performed pretty well, though 1 and 2 are still arguable the best. I’ve grown pretty fond of the little specials they did for 3 and 4 though, just for fun antics and world building.
Toy Story 6 should be a side-story with Forky and some cast-offs in a land with no humans -- let's say 20 Garfield Phones and Forky + rubber ducks on a stranded island.

It's an existential horror story where they realize their gods are dead and they have no purpose. Forky is the last to lose his sentience and he watches his cohort turn into inanimate shells and ultimately collapse into sun-bleached microplastics.

Basically Aniara for toys

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

gently caress Jerry, what the gently caress is he doing in a persons house. He's always stealing poo poo or whatever, get him the gently caress out of there. I'm on team Tom.

Cats are often unfairly depicted as the designated villains in animated movies, which is unfair as cats are not villains or heroes but rather agents of chaos unbothered by the laws of man.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm also curious about the fact that Tom and Jerry aren't the only animated creatures in the movie. The elephants are and so are the birds that show up for like 1 second in the trailer. Is there gonna be a mix of animated animals and real life animals in the world? Maybe all the animals will be animated? Also I hope there's a Droopy cameo.

edit: I went through the trailer. They don't show any real life animals, but on top of Tom, Jerry, and the elephants, they also show butterflies, and a goldfish who are both animated.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 17, 2020

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
A Bug's Life is better than Toy Story!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

FilthyImp posted:

Toy Story 6 should be a side-story with Forky and some cast-offs in a land with no humans -- let's say 20 Garfield Phones and Forky + rubber ducks on a stranded island.

It's an existential horror story where they realize their gods are dead and they have no purpose. Forky is the last to lose his sentience and he watches his cohort turn into inanimate shells and ultimately collapse into sun-bleached microplastics.

Basically Aniara for toys

I loved aniara but good lord that is a terrible movie to watch in isolation during covid quarantine

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Toy Story 4 was a mystery film. The driving question throughout is how could anyone think this is better than Klaus?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Missing Link also deserved the Oscar more than TS4

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I don't give a gently caress how many people thought TS3 "earned" the Oscar in 2010, that was loving robbery against DreamWorks and How to Train Your Dragon

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
my thoughts on ts3 are very clear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AY7mioAeC4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stkXGc-yGco
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkV1LaA3_zw

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this is really dang good 2D-looking CG being wasted on what looks like a worse version of Mouse Hunt

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I loved aniara but good lord that is a terrible movie to watch in isolation during covid quarantine
Thankfully I watched it before but drat. Makes you realize we're just along for the ride on a hunk of dirt.

I recommend Shin Godzilla. It's a real "how hosed is the government response gonna be" kind of film for the first 40 minutes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My coworkers in Japan loved Shin Godzilla so yeah, it nails Japanese beaurocracy pretty good.

Unrelated; poor glen keane attached to a show about a childs friendship with a garbage truck.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
And yet, no Family Circus Movie. 30 years at Disney, no movie. A once in a lifetime slam dunk, ignored

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

FilthyImp posted:

Thankfully I watched it before but drat. Makes you realize we're just along for the ride on a hunk of dirt.

I recommend Shin Godzilla. It's a real "how hosed is the government response gonna be" kind of film for the first 40 minutes.

I love that show too! There are so much iconic imagery like the first forms going through japan evoking tsunami scares and that big duck you laser that destroyed the helicopter
. Ion that tangent I recommend checking out the shin Godzilla x evangelion orchestra album, which is something I didn’t know I wanted very much.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FunkyAl posted:

And yet, no Family Circus Movie. 30 years at Disney, no movie. A once in a lifetime slam dunk, ignored

Games Workshop clearly dragging their feet on the tie-in deal.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

YggiDee posted:

I know I'm uhh seven years late to the party but I saw The Wind Rises yesterday and I'm having a lot of emotions now.

I will always talk about The Wind Rises because it's a very powerful film that I enjoyed quite a bit, and one where the director's anti-war stance absolutely cannot stand up to how deeply in love he is with a piece of fascist military equipment.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

He absolutely wants to gently caress the Nazi plane

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

flashy_mcflash posted:

So did the Imperial Army and Navy! They were so in love with it that they refused to consider a replacement until it was grossly obsolete.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

flashy_mcflash posted:

Zero... -chan?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
thundercats roar update: oh my god "The Space Beam" is good. all of them are good. but this one and Swampy Johnny had probably my two favorite cheap but amazing sight gags in a cartoon ever.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

grassy gnoll posted:

I will always talk about The Wind Rises because it's a very powerful film that I enjoyed quite a bit, and one where the director's anti-war stance absolutely cannot stand up to how deeply in love he is with a piece of fascist military equipment.

forgot that i was supposed to watch all the ghibli shows when i have the time during lockdown. what are the best / worst shows everyone has ranked? I've only done Spirited Away, Totoro, Mononoke, Lupin and Kaguya so far.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Why are you calling them shows

My favourite Miyazaki:
Spirited Away
Nausicaa
Laputa
Totoro
Howl’s

Favourite non-Miyazaki:
Whisper of the Heart
Pom Poko
The Cat Returns
Arrietty

Watch them all though, there’s not a single bad one

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH5xSKIxPw4

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Thunder cats is a tv animation, this is cinema discusso

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

It's not my kind of show, but man that's some slick animation (And some pretty good gags).

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I just finished the Bakshi Lord of the Rings and holy moly what a mixed bag. I’d say the fully animated segments on 1’s work well enough about 60% of the time. The clothing moving around and the subtle expressions are things that really stand out under the higher rate, but so often (especially with the hobbits) they come off like Foodfight characters.

Still, I respect the ambitious and experimental nature of the picture. The cuts really diminish the real scope of the books but nevertheless the varied styles make for very :420: viewing.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Pick posted:

thundercats roar update: oh my god "The Space Beam" is good. all of them are good. but this one and Swampy Johnny had probably my two favorite cheap but amazing sight gags in a cartoon ever.

Working Grrl is still my favourite. My daughter asks me to put it on all the time and loves the parody of Dolly's 9-to-5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC1EXveBf9k
(3:22 of this video)

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

forgot that i was supposed to watch all the ghibli shows when i have the time during lockdown. what are the best / worst shows everyone has ranked? I've only done Spirited Away, Totoro, Mononoke, Lupin and Kaguya so far.

Any ranking you find online of Ghibli films is clickbait. Watch whichever one sounds most appealing to you from the synopsis on the back of the box. Earthsea's the only one that's not terribly good.

Mononoke and Spirited Away are probably the Big Important Ones. Nausicaa is also probably necessary, but the manga version Miyazaki did himself is worlds better, if you can get your hands on it.

My personal favorite is Porco Rosso, and it's pretty much just a fairy tale with airplanes in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just watched the first episode of the Animaniacs reboot. I enjoyed it. At first I figured I'd be annoyed at all the references to it being a reboot, what with them covering the same "90s people discover iphones" jokes that they did with the Rocco's Modern Life movie, but, it worked pretty well with Animaniacs since that kinda stuff is in the show's wheelhouse to begin with.