Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Get Duked on prime is really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I watched Greyhound on Apple TV. Movie was... fine I guess, nothing special but a decent 90 minute watch about WWII Atlantic sub warfare (seems like a good double header with the far superior Das Boot).

What I was mainly fascinated by was that it sure didn’t seem like this movie was 24 FPS. It was originally scheduled for a theatrical release so this struck me as curious. Maybe it’s because I’m drunk as hell but that sure looked like 30 FPS to me. Anybody know more about the technical aspects of the movie?

It’s kind of fascinating how far CGI has come; the ship scenes looked fake (airplanes doubly so) but I don’t think it was the ocean itself that stood out.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

david_a posted:

I watched Greyhound on Apple TV. Movie was... fine I guess, nothing special but a decent 90 minute watch about WWII Atlantic sub warfare (seems like a good double header with the far superior Das Boot).

What I was mainly fascinated by was that it sure didn’t seem like this movie was 24 FPS. It was originally scheduled for a theatrical release so this struck me as curious. Maybe it’s because I’m drunk as hell but that sure looked like 30 FPS to me. Anybody know more about the technical aspects of the movie?

It’s kind of fascinating how far CGI has come; the ship scenes looked fake (airplanes doubly so) but I don’t think it was the ocean itself that stood out.

Most likely just the shutterspeed they shot at, I doubt they shot or finished it at 30fps, especially with how CGI heavy it was.

Just a consequence of the way some people shoot and light digital. Michael Manns earlier digital films, Collateral and Public Enemies, had a similar effect.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

Definitely

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Just watched a movie called Safety Not Guaranteed on Netflix. Amazing that it is not more well known. Aubrey Plaza, Jake Johnson, Mark Duplass. It was from 2012....so they were all somewhat unknowns only being a year or three into their well known television roles (Parks and Recreation, New Girl, The League).

Figured it was under the radar not only because it's a lower budget indie....but the writing and the acting were top notch. I loved it.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Its Colin Trevorrows first movie and itll always blow my mind he jumped to Jurrasic World and (almost) Star Wars Ep 9 from that little indie comedy.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

AccountSupervisor posted:

Its Colin Trevorrows first movie and itll always blow my mind he jumped to Book of Henry from that little indie comedy.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Just watched a movie called Safety Not Guaranteed on Netflix. Amazing that it is not more well known. Aubrey Plaza, Jake Johnson, Mark Duplass. It was from 2012....so they were all somewhat unknowns only being a year or three into their well known television roles (Parks and Recreation, New Girl, The League).

Figured it was under the radar not only because it's a lower budget indie....but the writing and the acting were top notch. I loved it.

I thought it was solid up until the ending, at which point it threw away anything good about what came before. The majority of the film felt like a meditation on the temptations and dangers of enabling delusions in mentally ill people for selfish purposes. But then the end pulls the rug away and goes "Forget that depressing junk! Doesn't this ~magical realism~ make you feel good?"

It shows the exact same poor judgement as the JW movies and Book of Henry.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Glottis posted:

For those considering Aunty Donna's Big Ol' House of Fun: See if you enjoy or can tolerate this clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8mt9Ogzi_Y

The show has pretty much that level of exhausting nonsense the whole time. I personally loved it. Gets better upon rewatches. I enjoy that they make some effort to (a) reference little bits from the youtube show and (b) carry stupid bits throughout the series. It's not very long but I want more.

That was very good. I laughed a lot.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

feedmyleg posted:

I thought it was solid up until the ending, at which point it threw away anything good about what came before. The majority of the film felt like a meditation on the temptations and dangers of enabling delusions in mentally ill people for selfish purposes. But then the end pulls the rug away and goes "Forget that depressing junk! Doesn't this ~magical realism~ make you feel good?"

It shows the exact same poor judgement as the JW movies and Book of Henry.

Hmmm. I guess we were watching different movies. I was watching as though it was a lighthearted film. No social commentary on mental delusions. Actually....had Mark Duplass's character ended up being crazy....I really think it would have made for a significantly worse movie. Like a christmas movie where everyone except the child believes in santa....and the north pole ends up melting at the end because there is no reveal and everybody continues on not believing. I felt like the rug would have been pulled out from under me if they would have ended a happy and uplifting movie by showing that Duplass's character was in fact mentally ill.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

When you put it into a single clip that Aunty Donna show is kind of funny but I couldn't make it 15 minutes into the first episode. Exhausting is the only way to describe it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Personally I found Aunty Donna's hilarious, planned to just watch one ep and had to force myself to stop after 4 to go to bed. I'd imagine most people will turn it off within the first 5 min though, it's very aggressively its own thing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Crazy, Not Insane is a really fascinating, but rough, watch on HBO Max. It's a documentary focusing on Dorothy Otnow, a psychologist who interviewed countless murderers including over 20 (I think she said) serial killers. She was one of the pioneers of pushing the idea that there's no 'inherent evil' in these kinds of criminals, but they're just made through life experiences, traumas, and history just like anyone else. Absolutely fascinating but an obvious huge trigger warning for anyone who's not in a good headspace to listen to two hours of, ya know, the frank and very unfiltered talk about what violent criminals do.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Book of Henry is fascinating

I highly recommend Folding Ideas' video about it

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

Enos Cabell posted:

Personally I found Aunty Donna's hilarious, planned to just watch one ep and had to force myself to stop after 4 to go to bed. I'd imagine most people will turn it off within the first 5 min though, it's very aggressively its own thing.

I think it's very hard to recommend to total strangers. If you know your friends, it can be one of the most hilarious things ever.

I rarely laugh out loud when I'm alone, sitting on the couch. The following sketch had me in tears, even when rewatching:

"Don't Get In The Kiln"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2onuBxhafg

I don't think this is part of the Netflix series (I've seen the first 4 eps), but I think it's a better introduction than the Christmas Pud clip.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

RestingB1tchFace posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_One_I_Love_(film)

This will be up your alley too, then. Mark Duplass and his brother produce a lot of these little indie films. It's a neat little mindbender with Ted Danson and Mary Steenburgen in it too.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Turambar posted:

I don't think this is part of the Netflix series (I've seen the first 4 eps), but I think it's a better introduction than the Christmas Pud clip.

Yeah that's definitely a better bit, I chose the Christmas Pud because it's particularly annoying and makes a decent test to see if you can handle the show.

Honestly the entire final sequence of the series with Tawny Newsome made me almost choke laughing.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

GD_American posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_One_I_Love_(film)

This will be up your alley too, then. Mark Duplass and his brother produce a lot of these little indie films. It's a neat little mindbender with Ted Danson and Mary Steenburgen in it too.

Sounds like something I will like. Big fan of Ted Danson as well.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Sounds like something I will like. Big fan of Ted Danson as well.

The One I Love is great

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Turambar posted:

I think it's very hard to recommend to total strangers. If you know your friends, it can be one of the most hilarious things ever.

I rarely laugh out loud when I'm alone, sitting on the couch. The following sketch had me in tears, even when rewatching:

"Don't Get In The Kiln"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2onuBxhafg

alright I've not been keeping up with this but this made me laugh really hard so maybe I'll check the show out.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

It's a lot of fun. A large handful of stuff that should be annoying and insufferable crammed together, and it somehow works very well.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I just watched Scoob! on HBO Max. Strange movie. I enjoyed the Ira Glass voice cameo at the beginning, but the rest of the movie was a bit of mess. A few jokes landed, but too many didn't. I might have preferred a more standard Scooby-Doo mystery, but instead the plot involved superheros and the underworld.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Glottis posted:

For those considering Aunty Donna's Big Ol' House of Fun: See if you enjoy or can tolerate this clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8mt9Ogzi_Y

The show has pretty much that level of exhausting nonsense the whole time. I personally loved it. Gets better upon rewatches. I enjoy that they make some effort to (a) reference little bits from the youtube show and (b) carry stupid bits throughout the series. It's not very long but I want more.

Are they just going off of pud being a weird sounding word or is pud slang for dick in Australia as well?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Anyone watch the Fresh Prince Reunion on HBO Max? It's pretty good but there was a really bizarre and hosed up part.

Will had a one-on-one sit down with Janet Hubert (the first actress to portray Vivian). He asks her to tell him what happened with her exit from the show. He wants to understand how she felt and get it all from her point of view.

She tells the story, and I'm paraphrasing, but she basically says that the producers of the show poo poo all over her due in part to her pregnancy. But she also says that Will made things really lovely to work on the set. This is where it gets really weird. He says he understands now and that he was just a kid back then. He pretty much says everything EXCEPT "I'm sorry." That's just so crazy. I get that he has a giant ego and lacks self-awareness, but man. She just unloaded on the guy and he understood what she said but couldn't muster up an apology? That just really got to me even though it's something that shouldn't even be remotely surprising to me.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jose Oquendo posted:

Anyone watch the Fresh Prince Reunion on HBO Max? It's pretty good but there was a really bizarre and hosed up part.

Will had a one-on-one sit down with Janet Hubert (the first actress to portray Vivian). He asks her to tell him what happened with her exit from the show. He wants to understand how she felt and get it all from her point of view.

She tells the story, and I'm paraphrasing, but she basically says that the producers of the show poo poo all over her due in part to her pregnancy. But she also says that Will made things really lovely to work on the set. This is where it gets really weird. He says he understands now and that he was just a kid back then. He pretty much says everything EXCEPT "I'm sorry." That's just so crazy. I get that he has a giant ego and lacks self-awareness, but man. She just unloaded on the guy and he understood what she said but couldn't muster up an apology? That just really got to me even though it's something that shouldn't even be remotely surprising to me.

this could be weird internet rumor poo poo but isn't that like a legit thing in Scientology? Like, you agree with someone's feelings and explain things to validate them and poo poo but if you actually apologize you let in negative energy and it hurts your...space journey or whatever they call it?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

this could be weird internet rumor poo poo but isn't that like a legit thing in Scientology? Like, you agree with someone's feelings and explain things to validate them and poo poo but if you actually apologize you let in negative energy and it hurts your...space journey or whatever they call it?

It could be? All I know about Scientology is you give them money and confess everything to them and in turn they log all that poo poo to blackmail you later.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Ah gently caress, I was just thinking today when that was going to air. That does seem strange on Will's part. Too bad Uncle Phil isn't around to show him the right thing to say.

I'm really looking forward to the reboot that'll be out in a year or two

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jose Oquendo posted:

It could be? All I know about Scientology is you give them money and confess everything to them and in turn they log all that poo poo to blackmail you later.

yea it's hard to remember what's legit 'no an actual ex member said this was what's up' and what's 'some dude on the internet said this' but I think part of it is some weird energy balance/transference kinda view where the goal is to zero out rather than 'accept' bad vibes from others...and I guess that includes admitting fault? Boy if that's the case I can't imagine why this religion would be popular with the wealthy and famous!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

isaboo posted:

Ah gently caress, I was just thinking today when that was going to air. That does seem strange on Will's part. Too bad Uncle Phil isn't around to show him the right thing to say.

I'm really looking forward to the reboot that'll be out in a year or two

The section on James Avery is really fuckin good.

edit: As for the reboot I'm sure it will be fine. It's hard to capture lightning in a bottle again.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 20, 2020

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

sexpig by night posted:

It could be. He has always denied being a scientologist, but he also hangs out with a lot of their cohort, and he and Jada used their own money to open a school using scientology methods. If he is a scientologist, I suspect he's trying to play it smart and not admitting to it since it could hurt his career. It seems like a lot of the major actors who are involved have seen diminishing box off returns. I could be wrong, but I feel like the Mission Impossible movies are the only Tom Cruise movies that have done well at the box office over the last decade.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

AccountSupervisor posted:

Its Colin Trevorrows first movie and itll always blow my mind he jumped to Jurrasic World and (almost) Star Wars Ep 9 from that little indie comedy.

I still can't believe that the obscure director of pretench-o favorite film Brick did a Star Wars.

A very specific group of people were obsessed with Brick in the mid-2000's.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I still can't believe that the obscure director of pretench-o favorite film Brick did a Star Wars.

Like, this very website.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
He says he's sorry at 55:33 and then they hug. It's not the most impactful apology, though, I suppose, and he says it after she apologizes first. But he does say it

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Brick rules

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
If you dig Rian Johnson, take 5 minutes to watch his video for LCD Soundsystem with David Straitharn and Sissy Spacek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gIhrPGyu6U

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

GD_American posted:

If you dig Rian Johnson, take 5 minutes to watch his video for LCD Soundsystem with David Straitharn and Sissy Spacek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gIhrPGyu6U

This is really loving cool and good

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Who do you think you're posting amongst?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Lastdancer posted:

He says he's sorry at 55:33 and then they hug. It's not the most impactful apology, though, I suppose, and he says it after she apologizes first. But he does say it

Oh wow. I'm sorry. I didn't hear it at all and I was watching very intently because I was wondering if he'd say it. I guess he's not a total piece of poo poo.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Who do you think you're posting amongst?

Lol right, I absolutely watched it because of this forum, maybe this very thread when it was about mailing netflix dvds back and forth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Nihonniboku posted:

could be wrong, but I feel like the Mission Impossible movies are the only Tom Cruise movies that have done well at the box office over the last decade.

Every Tom Cruise movie has done pretty well, even Edge of Tomorrow and Oblivion doubled their budgets.

Cynically, that might be because Scientologists are told to go see his movies. It's certainly true that scientologists used to buy massive numbers of Hubbard books to inflate the sales numbers.