Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

"He's like a little bag of marbles."

I'm dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Reminder that weasels are carnivores

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Lmao straight up sitcom-rear end reveal to Dagon

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
We're sort of a detective agency

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

"And we've also been carrying her dead body."

I swear the M9 are a coen brothers movie

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

When you've done poo poo so stupid that your adventuring guide demands that you magically modify their memory.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
They've been so peded :ohdear:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The hell was that noise Matt just made :stare:

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
everyone failed a 1 minute stun lmao

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

lmao fuuuuuck what a bad round of saves

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Farg posted:

Critical Role (on Twitch/Youtube, yes) - Campaign 3 begins!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Farg posted:

Except the Cleric that doesn't really do healing or restoration :laffo:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Farg posted:

Except Jester who has a plan don't worry about it

Gedt
Oct 3, 2007

Fuckin' Laura

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

*harp music* ~Laura Bailey~

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

This is amazing.

Gedt
Oct 3, 2007

Fuckin' Travis

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

This is the most loving insane sequence of events.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
This is the best fight the whole campaign.

Edit: for people with the campaign guide; this is a Frost Worm, a CR17 creature.

Keru fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 20, 2020

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
oh my loving god

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i loving love dnd

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Who would have thought the campaign would end because the crew had a fight over what kind of animal to polymorph the worm into?

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

turtle curling

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Never has watching a piece of glitter been more enthralling.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
This whole encounter is 100% why storybeat leveling was invented.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Keru posted:

This is the best fight the whole campaign.

Edit: for people with the campaign guide; this is a Frost Worm, a CR17 creature.

I’ve got that book!

Fake edit: Holy poo poo :stare: +15 to hit and they’re immediately ingested by the worm. Someone was fuckin DYING.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Eldritch BiLast posted:

I’ve got that book!

Fake edit: Holy poo poo :stare: +15 to hit and they’re immediately ingested by the worm. Someone was fuckin DYING.

Fjord slowly pulls out his whip..

Edit : who was the lady lucien was killing?

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Eldritch BiLast posted:

I’ve got that book!

Yep, that thing would've been a campaign ender if Jester hadn't rolled high on the stun screech save.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

redbrouw posted:

Fjord slowly pulls out his whip..

Edit : who was the lady lucien was killing?

The one from last session? Nameless Krin Explorer number 109.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Polymorph really seems like it ends so many encounters Matt plans out prematurely, like anything that's just them versus one creature is a coin flip if they'll just polymorph it. Mind you it saved their asses this time, but it's still both funny and I imagine kind of frustrating for him as a DM :v:

Also genuinely surprised there wasn't a second one, Matt seems to like doing worms like those in pairs.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Overlord K posted:

Also genuinely surprised there wasn't a second one, Matt seems to like doing worms like those in pairs.

That was probably a backup play, like if a series of lucky rolls made the fight much too easy then oh hey, there was another one nearby that was drawn toward the commotion.

Glitter turtle was just too much fun to undermine with a cheap trick like that.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Two worms would have been a tpk for sure. It's a cr 17 monster and all saving throws it causes are against dc 20. Imagine two of those shouts.

It's hilarious to me that almost all of the dnd grognards rank trickery clerics as one of the worst cleric domains. Jester have saved the M9 bacon on so many different occasions now :allears:

e: Here's the worm's statblock: https://5e.tools/bestiary/frost-worm-egw.html

Lima fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 20, 2020

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lima posted:

Two worms would have been a tpk for sure. It's a cr 17 monster and all saving throws it causes are against dc 20. Imagine two of those shouts.

It's hilarious to me that almost all of the dnd grognards rank trickery clerics as one of the worst cleric domains. Jester have saved the M9 bacon on so many different occasions now :allears:

e: Here's the worm's statblock: https://5e.tools/bestiary/frost-worm-egw.html

Trickery is probably on the lower tier of Clerics, but Clerics are one of the most powerful classes, the Mighty Nein having two of them is p much god mode.

Their Spell List is great, but the class abilities are meh compared to other clerics.

Talesin probably has the best cleric class ability. In terms of Alpha damage, that he for some reason never uses.

Path to the Grave is absurd as a Channel Divinity, Especially with a Rogue just leads to loving absurd damage. Or you know, Disintegrate

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Dexo posted:

Trickery is probably on the lower tier of Clerics, but Clerics are one of the most powerful classes, the Mighty Nein having two of them is p much god mode.

Their Spell List is great, but the class abilities are meh compared to other clerics.

Talesin probably has the best cleric class ability. In terms of Alpha damage, that he for some reason never uses.

Path to the Grave is absurd as a Channel Divinity, Especially with a Rogue just leads to loving absurd damage. Or you know, Disintegrate

Gods Mode, hah.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Dexo posted:

In terms of general combat power, yeah, Trickery clerics are definitely on the weaker side. (hence the grognard response) The duplicate eats up your bonus action to move around which is troublesome in higher level combat, and it mostly serves as a ranged delivery for touch spells. You can also give yourself advantage on an attack... but Trickery clerics are bad at that. They get the "martial cleric" Divine Strike ability but don't get the heavy armor or martial weapon proficiency to go with it, nor any options for extra attacks. Cloak of Shadows is terrible, using a channel divinity for a one-turn invisibility.

Most of the domain spell list is also not terribly well suited for combat. Polymorph and dominate person are solid additions though.

Trickery clerics excel on the more social side of encounters, even avoiding combat entirely.

I think Critical Role inflates the impression of a Trickery cleric with a combination of Mercer being a very roleplay, social encounter-heavy DM and Laura Bailey being a mad loving genius.

quote:

Path to the Grave specifies an attack so disintegrate isn't going to work with it. Wizards are severely lacking in spells that actually make an attack roll, Caleb's best option would be picking up the tame-by-comparison Crown of Stars, 7th level. Only works on one hit so it's 4d12 radiant. Steel Wind Strike, 6d10 damage in a hilariously uncharacteristic-for-Caleb fashion.

Interestingly enough, Fjord is able to get into the same ballpark anyway. (Hexadins are nuts)

Their best synergy is Yasha's battlecry (just because we want advantage), PTTG, then Fjord hitting with a divine smite with one of his fifth level slots and casting Banishing Smite. (fjord has no 4th level slots)

Decided to run the math because I'm a giant nerd and I'm bored.
(1d8+5d8+5d10+5+2)*2.
(sword, smite, CHA, Star Razor bonus)

Average 61.5 damage doubled to 123. Maximum of 105 doubled to 210, because why the gently caress not.

If we want to go completely insane and assume two full rounds of successful setup, we'll say Fjord opened up with a Hexblade's Curse then Hex. Adds 1d6 + 5.

(1d8+5d8+5d10+1d6+5+5+2)*2

Average now 70 doubled to 140. Maximum now 116 doubled to 232.

Of course, we expanded Fjord's critical hit range with that Hexblade's Curse. There's a 19% chance of a critical hit when swinging with advantage.

(((1d8+5d8+5d10+1d6)*2)+5+5+2)*2

Average is now 128 doubled to 256. Maximum is 220 doubled to 440.

Nott hits pretty hard too but you cannot beat a Hexadin for nova.

Edit: This is assuming Star Razor doesn't add any other damage I'm unaware of. It's a +2 weapon when glowing, but it just "leveled up" or something and maybe it hits harder now?

Deuce fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 20, 2020

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Keru posted:

Yep, that thing would've been a campaign ender if Jester hadn't rolled high on the stun screech save.

Well with the ability to save out of the stun and the overall damage output of the worm being high but not too ridiculous, I don't think anyone would have died fighting it conventionally but they would have gotten beaten up for sure. It would have been fun to see four party members swallowed by it, then the one or two who break their stun in there do enough damage that the worm spits them all out at once.

There's a world of difference between "one spellcaster not stunned" and "everyone stunned" though, there's no doubt about that.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

NowonSA posted:

Well with the ability to save out of the stun and the overall damage output of the worm being high but not too ridiculous, I don't think anyone would have died fighting it conventionally but they would have gotten beaten up for sure. It would have been fun to see four party members swallowed by it, then the one or two who break their stun in there do enough damage that the worm spits them all out at once.

There's a world of difference between "one spellcaster not stunned" and "everyone stunned" though, there's no doubt about that.

Matt changed up the saving throw from Wisdom to Constitution, which actually made things a lot harder. Jester, Cad, Fjord, and Caleb are all proficient in Wisdom saves, and Bo has a decent Wisdom score. Yasha and Nott are a little screwed on a DC20 Wisdom save.

While everyone has a little bit of a Constitution bonus, only Yasha is actually proficient.

As it was, it took several rounds for anyone to start breaking the stun. If the worm behaved like the Remhorraz (sp?) did way back when, swallowed a couple people then fuckin bounced while everyone else is stunned... there might be a couple of unrecovered bodies.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
It's too bad Planeshift has that requirement to get a tuning fork, I'd love to see someone deal with these kind of creatures by just bopping them and telling them to go hand out with the Aeor in the Astral Sea.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

It's too bad Planeshift has that requirement to get a tuning fork, I'd love to see someone deal with these kind of creatures by just bopping them and telling them to go hand out with the Aeor in the Astral Sea.

Admin Profile brings the city back in front of the Mighty Nein and there's just this crowd of extremely dangerous and extremely angry high level monsters from the past. Big ice worm, Dragon Turtle, Vokodo in the alternate reality where they left him banished, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

Planeshift should come with a d20 or a percentile dice roll, and if you roll a 1 instead of shifting the enemy to some other plane of existence it takes a previous enemy you've banished and brings it back to the battlefield in a really pissed off mood. That or the magic of planeshift screws up and you end up with another copy of your enemy.