Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
There's use for it even at higher resolutions as your 1% and 0.1%s still go up and from what I've seen online the 100-200mhz on the cores isn't that big lifting part. Its getting that IF running as as fast as your board and chip can get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
how come the interminable memory chat is always "oh ya find some e-die, find 3600/3800/4000/9999mhz" or whatever, but never any actual links to example good sets of ram?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Scarecow posted:

There's use for it even at higher resolutions as your 1% and 0.1%s still go up and from what I've seen online the 100-200mhz on the cores isn't that big lifting part. Its getting that IF running as as fast as your board and chip can get it

Yeah that's what I'm new to, is this whole concept with the infinity fabric clock and these people saying 2000mhz (and therefore 4000 on ram) is like the magic number.

I don't game at 1080p, but I'm interested in DLSS and as I understand it on a 3440x1440 monitor a gpu might be rendering around 2560x1080 and upscaling it.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

how come the interminable memory chat is always "oh ya find some e-die, find 3600/3800/4000/9999mhz" or whatever, but never any actual links to example good sets of ram?

3800mhz 14-16-16-36 CL14 16gb
https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232933?&quicklink=true

should be able to get 4000mhz cl14 with a little time spent with the Dram calc so long as your board is up to it

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah that's what I'm new to, is this whole concept with the infinity fabric clock and these people saying 2000mhz (and therefore 4000 on ram) is like the magic number.

I don't game at 1080p, but I'm interested in DLSS and as I understand it on a 3440x1440 monitor a gpu might be rendering around 2560x1080 and upscaling it.

Maybe after a couple AGESA revisions, but 2000mhz IF isn't guaranteed right now. GN's setup couldn't reliably do it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

2000 is the max for 5000 series it isn't not a magic number.

3000 series caps out at around 1800, getting the IF up there from 1600 is pretty noticable on the lows at 1440p165

pixaal fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Nov 20, 2020

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Arzachel posted:

Maybe after a couple AGESA revisions, but 2000mhz IF isn't guaranteed right now. GN's setup couldn't reliably do it.

yeah mine doesn't boot at 2000Mhz and will hang at 1866. only got 1800 working so far :(

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Arzachel posted:

Right, "4000 ram speed for zen 3" was some vague one-off comment somebody at AMD wrote that everyone went hog wild with, but IRL most of the zen 3 CPUs tested won't run the IF fast enough. Now there is vague hand waving that future BIOS releases might make it more likely or whatever

Also RAM over 3600 CL16 is often stupidly overpriced so just buying 4000+ speed ram can be a terrible use of a limited budget.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Because I was bored and had the correct tools I spent an hour micro-cleaning the AM4 socket on my Aorus Pro and I'm still getting instant CPU failure with a known good CPU.

I also cleaned the CPU meticulously as well from the previous thermal paste application just to be sure. Lights up the *moment* you press power with a CPU failure, and the board itself doesn't properly respond to holding the power button down, which to me is not a good sign at all. That's a very fundamental part of the board operation.

I am in office today so will probably just swap boards tonight, otherwise I'd probably sit here and curse at it all day. I think the socket might've busted when the 5600x and cooler came out together, either that or the mythical static shock, which I admit I've never actually done in 20 years of this poo poo as a hobby/professionally.

Just for shits I'm going to leave all of the batteries out while I'm at work today, shake it one more time, maybe try a Q-flash of the bios (though it booted into windows on this bios, its not the bios), but I have a B550 tomahawk coming by 9pm today so eh probably chalk it up to the magic smoke. Oh well, I am fortunate enough to laugh about a $150 part at least.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Nov 20, 2020

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

call in the warranty claim I don't think you did anything wrong. Lots of vendors seem to have not put much effort into AM4 motherboards, and they need to pay for that with warranty claims or they'll keep putting out junk for AMD.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
yeah I had an A320 arrive to me a month ago that was just DOA from the word go. sometimes poo poo is just broke.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

MaxxBot posted:

curve optimizer on my 5800X
?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I bought it 23 months ago and while it absolutely shouldn't fail, I don't think it's under warranty & I didn't buy it on card with an extension.

edit: Oh its 36 months!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Well if you want to be certain buy something with good timings from crucial. That’s micron’s consumer line so it’ll be micron dies. Crucial “ballistix” comes in 3200, 3600 and 4000 MHz varieties so pick how much you want to spend.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083TRRT16/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_t79TFb9A5KGVY

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
There's something I don't understand about the 5600x and 5800x, why does the IF frequency matter if all the cores are on the same CCX?

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

hobbesmaster posted:

Well if you want to be certain buy something with good timings from crucial. That’s micron’s consumer line so it’ll be micron dies. Crucial “ballistix” comes in 3200, 3600 and 4000 MHz varieties so pick how much you want to spend.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083TRRT16/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_t79TFb9A5KGVY

I believe Newegg has the 32gb kit in red for $105 after a $20 off promo code today.

https://www.newegg.com/ballistix-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820164189

I've been watching for a good deal on a 32gb kit for my 5600x build and this looks like a good fit. The other kit I've mainly had my eye on is from Corsair (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016ORTNI2/?coliid=I233QD2FDKDGHO).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pofcorn posted:

There's something I don't understand about the 5600x and 5800x, why does the IF frequency matter if all the cores are on the same CCX?

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/infinity_fabric

In short its how the CCX is connected to the io hub chiplet which handles memory and processor pcie stuff.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

It reminds me of FSB overclocking in 2004-2008 time period where it effects a lot of systems so it's pretty noticeable.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah there was a point where you didn't even care about cpus with locked multipliers, because you usually had to lower instead of raise them anyway, to get the FSB to run as high as possible while keeping the cpu stable

internet: "amd put out a cheap 900mhz cpu that's otherwise the same as their unlocked one that clocks to 1300mhz"
me: "awesome, i can buy this cheap poo poo and crank fsb by 40% lmao"
motherboard: *chipset dies in less than 2 years* lmao

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

pixaal posted:

It reminds me of FSB overclocking in 2004-2008 time period where it effects a lot of systems so it's pretty noticeable.

HyperTransport overclocking on the FX chips!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Truga posted:

internet: "amd put out a cheap 900mhz cpu that's otherwise the same as their unlocked one that clocks to 1300mhz"

Granny clockin.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Truga posted:

yeah there was a point where you didn't even care about cpus with locked multipliers, because you usually had to lower instead of raise them anyway, to get the FSB to run as high as possible while keeping the cpu stable

I feel like "chipset dies lmao" is the punchline to most stories from that time

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

If you set PBO to advanced an option called curve optimizer will appear that allows you to tweak the VF curve of the CPU, either to all of the cores or each individually. Some motherboards don't have it yet but it looks like this.

Most people are just setting it to -10-20 and in some cases adding a positive offset to the vcore, I'm not really sure what is going on here since I'm adding a negative offset to one setting and a positive offset with another setting but combined with +200 to the fmax setting you get a consistent +200 to the boost clocks.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
So I'm building a new rig with 5600x on a MAG b550 Tomahawk mobo, and I understand I'll need to flash the bios before I do anything else. Is there any reason to use (or not to use) the most recent beta version, or should i just use the most recent stable one? I'm using an nvidia card so the smart access memory isn't relevant right?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

So I'm building a new rig with 5600x on a MAG b550 Tomahawk mobo, and I understand I'll need to flash the bios before I do anything else. Is there any reason to use (or not to use) the most recent beta version, or should i just use the most recent stable one? I'm using an nvidia card so the smart access memory isn't relevant right?

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MAG-B550-TOMAHAWK#support-cpu A4 is the recommended BIOS for your CPU by MSI. (the non-beta one)

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

MaxxBot posted:

If you set PBO to advanced an option called curve optimizer will appear that allows you to tweak the VF curve of the CPU, either to all of the cores or each individually. Some motherboards don't have it yet but it looks like this.

Most people are just setting it to -10-20 and in some cases adding a positive offset to the vcore, I'm not really sure what is going on here since I'm adding a negative offset to one setting and a positive offset with another setting but combined with +200 to the fmax setting you get a consistent +200 to the boost clocks.
Cheers, thanks for the follow up; my "January 1-4, 2021 delivery estimate" 5800X is now scheduled to arrive over the weekend :unsmigghh:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arzachel posted:

I feel like "chipset dies lmao" is the punchline to most stories from that time

I didn't even overclock my first ever PC build based on a socket 754 athlon 64 and the chipset blew up.

Your chipset options were what, via, nvidia or sis?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Amazon constantly has tiny 5800X drops that either just lock up when you try to add the item to your cart, or instantly go out of stock. It's annoying af.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

sean10mm posted:

Amazon constantly has tiny 5800X drops that either just lock up when you try to add the item to your cart, or instantly go out of stock. It's annoying af.

If someone ordered with prime day delivery so it didn't ship until now and their card failed to charge that single item would go up and likely be sold out quickly. This is probably what you are seeing.

you can pretty reliably get stuff by f5ing when the stuff is shipping for card failures since generally some percent get stuck and like 100 go up at once instead of just one.

Smarf
Mar 21, 2004

Arsehole!!!!
I've recently purchased a 5600x to go in an ASUS TUF GAMING x570 which I flashed to the latest motherboard update and it's giving me random reboots once a day or so.

I've searched around and it seems like it's not an uncommon issue at the moment - probably fixable through a future bios update.

Are there any boards that you all have used a Ryzen series 5 without any instability issues at the moment? I could send this one back still.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Smarf posted:

I've recently purchased a 5600x to go in an ASUS TUF GAMING x570 which I flashed to the latest motherboard update and it's giving me random reboots once a day or so.

I've searched around and it seems like it's not an uncommon issue at the moment - probably fixable through a future bios update.

Are there any boards that you all have used a Ryzen series 5 without any instability issues at the moment? I could send this one back still.

Is XMP enabled? Turn it off if so. All the AM4 motherboards have had... intermittent problems, especially with varying newer AGESA updates. I think MSI has recently fixed their DRAM stability problem (?) so MSI x570 Unify is a solid option for overclockers (if you're into that). AFAIK Gigabyte x570 Aourus Elite has been working with Zen3 mostly fine for a cheaper board (e: apparently theres a slew of beta bioses and stability problems with Zen 3 on it too, even stock, so idk). I dont think there's a great option for you other than "wait"

Xaris fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 20, 2020

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

hobbesmaster posted:

Granny clockin.

Not double FSB pumpin' like you should

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Truga posted:

You guys remember lovely little chipset fans that always had the bearings die?

One of those seized, the fan bearing completely melted and the fan fell off. Board kept working for years after that.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Weee my Tomahawk won't be here until the weekend now because it was "mis-sorted" at the local Amazon facility. :negative: Staring at the CPU ERROR led like it's my new god.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bus hustler posted:

Weee my Tomahawk won't be here until the weekend now because it was "mis-sorted" at the local Amazon facility. :negative: Staring at the CPU ERROR led like it's my new god.

Since you apparently have time, I'll go ahead and ask if you pulled the motherboard out of the case during your last round of troubleshooting. Something shorting the back of the board could potentially cause the symptoms you've described.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

bus hustler posted:

what's the next light? I've seen a few boards that don't always engage the next light before failing. I assume RAM, you reseated it? (I assume yes) just want to put the idea in your head that it might not be what the error says it is.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Since you apparently have time, I'll go ahead and ask if you pulled the motherboard out of the case during your last round of troubleshooting. Something shorting the back of the board could potentially cause the symptoms you've described.

I've pulled it out and put it back in a bunch of times during this, though I have not actually tried running it on a box. In my experience the short doesn't leave everything powered, but I will totally give it a try I've got nothing but time and weed.

Smarf
Mar 21, 2004

Arsehole!!!!

Xaris posted:

Is XMP enabled? Turn it off if so. All the AM4 motherboards have had... intermittent problems, especially with varying newer AGESA updates. I think MSI has recently fixed their DRAM stability problem (?) so MSI x570 Unify is a solid option for overclockers (if you're into that). AFAIK Gigabyte x570 Aourus Elite has been working with Zen3 mostly fine for a cheaper board (e: apparently theres a slew of beta bioses and stability problems with Zen 3 on it too, even stock, so idk). I dont think there's a great option for you other than "wait"

I do have DOCP enabled - will try without it until there's a new bios update. Interesting to see it's more widespread -- seems sensible to just wait until they release a new bios.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Meant to answer this earlier, Crucial Ballistix is made by Micron and their 3600 CL16 2x16GB kit is definitely dual rank Micron E, I verified it with some memory info utility whose name I forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

bus hustler posted:

I've pulled it out and put it back in a bunch of times during this, though I have not actually tried running it on a box. In my experience the short doesn't leave everything powered, but I will totally give it a try I've got nothing but time and weed.

nah, box build didnt work w/ just CPU, cooler, & RAM. something's up. i cleaned a lot of the board again too. oh well, another 24h wont kill me.