Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The new Adventure Time special, Distant Lands: Obsidian, is pretty good. While the story is about Marceline and Bonnie trying to save the Glass Kingdom from a giant monster the special jumps around in time, exploring stuff that was only hinted at before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I miss Adventure Time and its gleeful weirdness so much. Easily a top 10 tv show for me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I gave it a good shot and just couldn’t hang, just not my thing. Disappointing too because it seems like everyone else loved it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

swickles posted:

I need some help TV Goons. I am spending a lot of time with my parents and need some show recommendations. The biggest hang up is my step dad, as he likes very very few comedies. We just finished Ted Lasso, which how could anyone not like. Since he usually watches police/detective/spy procedurals, I thought we would try Patriot, but after 3 episodes it just doesn't grab him (he says its slow, and I plan to finish it myself later). Shows he has seen and liked: Homeland, The Americans, Blue Bloods (is over 70, so a given), the various NCIS's and CSI's, Bones, Better Call Saul, Breaking Bad, Sopranos, Bosch, Billions, Goliath, Suits, Barry (which surprised me but was happy to watch it with them!) etc. Any other shows along those lines would be greatly appreciated. Also, despite never liking anything sci fi, he actually loves The Mandolorian (although it may be literally the only Star Wars material he has ever seen) and he liked the Expanse.

Since you already mentioned they saw Justified:
Person of Interest
BANSHEE (lots of sex and nudity, which some Boomer parents may disapprove of)
The Wire
Stumptown (just cancelled after one season)
Lethal Weapon (the show; surprisingly fun and good)
Prison Break
The Shield

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

I gave it a good shot and just couldn’t hang, just not my thing. Disappointing too because it seems like everyone else loved it.

Ugh. You're being you again.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

swickles posted:

I need some help TV Goons. I am spending a lot of time with my parents and need some show recommendations. The biggest hang up is my step dad, as he likes very very few comedies. We just finished Ted Lasso, which how could anyone not like. Since he usually watches police/detective/spy procedurals, I thought we would try Patriot, but after 3 episodes it just doesn't grab him (he says its slow, and I plan to finish it myself later). Shows he has seen and liked: Homeland, The Americans, Blue Bloods (is over 70, so a given), the various NCIS's and CSI's, Bones, Better Call Saul, Breaking Bad, Sopranos, Bosch, Billions, Goliath, Suits, Barry (which surprised me but was happy to watch it with them!) etc. Any other shows along those lines would be greatly appreciated. Also, despite never liking anything sci fi, he actually loves The Mandolorian (although it may be literally the only Star Wars material he has ever seen) and he liked the Expanse.

Does he enjoy baseball? Brockmire might be good

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

fwiw early Adventure Time is very much like “wacky kids cartoon” that happens to have really good designs and stuff, it’s only in season 3 I’d say that it really starts to get super good and then by the end of season 4 it’s loving brilliant

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Adventure Time gets good as soon as tree trunks eats the crystal apple and vanishes

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I honestly think seasons 5-6 of AT are the pinnacle of Western animation for kids, they’re just so fantastic

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The United States posted:

Adventure Time gets good as soon as tree trunks eats the crystal apple and vanishes

It's the show's first good episode, sure, but I'd say it takes a while for the show to become that consistently good.

I can look back at that first season and enjoy the episodes now that I didn't enjoy before, but it's the stuff from later seasons that won me over.

Escobarbarian posted:

I honestly think seasons 5-6 of AT are the pinnacle of Western animation for kids, they’re just so fantastic

They're really, really good, though I think Steven Universe is sometimes better, if overly mawkish at times.

If SU didn't have that final season, I don't think it'd be half the show it is.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
SU is definitely top-tier and I like it a bunch, but AT's setting and humor just place it on a whole other level for me.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
The animaniacs intro is a nice mix of the original and new stuff ('The trolls will say we're so passé, but we did meta first')

e: lol they're explaining the sound effect references in the subtitles

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Nov 20, 2020

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Adventure time got huge "red in the face" laughs from me from characters just saying the wildest or most horribly inappropriate things. Like when Jake deadpan tells a dying gnome "You should just let go, man" and shrugs.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I liked Adventure Time for different reasons than the rest of this thread; I loved the first few seasons for their fun, light, silly irreverence, but as soon as the creators got really into their own lore and started leaning hard into to their fandom it lost me. That's not to say it's bad, but just that it ended up not being a show for me.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Most of my experience with Adventure Time was the 6 weeks I lived in an extended stay hotel, and a couple weeks here and there over the next 2 years travelling for work. I enjoyed it but never felt like really seeking it out later.

I much preferred Regular Show, the Amazing World of Gumball, and toward the end of that stint, Stephen Universe, over Adventure time :shrug:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Ugh. You're being you again.

Judicious and thoughtful even in critique? Why thank you :tipshat:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
NOW IT'S WORSE SEE A DOCTOR

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

feedmyleg posted:

I liked Adventure Time for different reasons than the rest of this thread; I loved the first few seasons for their fun, light, silly irreverence, but as soon as the creators got really into their own lore and started leaning hard into to their fandom it lost me. That's not to say it's bad, but just that it ended up not being a show for me.

I was gonna say that kind of show always loses me, but Venture Brothers is seriously into its own lore and it’s one of my favorites. For some reason it works for me there but it absolutely turns me off from most shows.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Same. When VB started layering in its character traumas it felt organic to me, and true to its tone and world. But when AT started doing it, it felt like it was suddenly taking a very silly thing very seriously. Suddenly that wacky Ice King character has a deeply tragic backstory I'm supposed to care about that doesn't match what came before at all? Complete tonal whiplash. Rick and Morty turned me off with that, too.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 20, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Some of the worst people I've ever known were waaaaay too into Adventure Time so I feel a little dirty whenever i defend it as a good show.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I loved Adventure Time all the way through but I did take a huge break from it in the middle.

The episode with Finn wearing the Jake Suit and voluntarily jumping into the volcano is still one of the greatest things ever written.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/1329868626690654209?s=20

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There better be a follow up tweet announcing a spinoff show with Thunder and Lightning.

BL’s one of my favorite cw shows. Them cancelling before they can get to s6 is lame as hell. Dude just joined the superfriends barely a year ago too.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
They have a Painkiller spinoff in the works.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Well that sucks. But at least they can plan for a proper ending now.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That HBO The Last of Us show got a series order:

https://pressroom.warnermedia.com/us/media-release/hbo-gives-series-order-last-us-craig-mazin-and-neil-druckmann-write-and-executive

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So Naughty Dog has Last of Us and Nathan Drake adaptations coming. When is Crash Bandicoot?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

So Naughty Dog has Last of Us and Nathan Drake adaptations coming. When is Crash Bandicoot?

Jak cinematic universe when???

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

There were rumors of a cgi Crash movie in the planning stages awhile back but nothing has been officially announced.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

fwiw early Adventure Time is very much like “wacky kids cartoon” that happens to have really good designs and stuff, it’s only in season 3 I’d say that it really starts to get super good and then by the end of season 4 it’s loving brilliant

I think the difference in quality is because Finn actually grows up during the series. He starts as a tween dealing with tween issues, but as he gets older he actually matures, and the show does too. By the end he's almost an adult and dealing with some heavy stuff like his deadbeat dad.

One of the first things that really made me notice the show was dealing with real-life issues (at least metaphorically) was the early arc with Flame Princess. Her fire burns him and his tears put her fire out, so they can't stop hurting each other. They're super into each other, but the relationship can't work because they're incompatible and bad for each other. I was like "holy poo poo, this kids show is addressing what a toxic adult relationship is like."

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

The Good Lord Bird is extremely good.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Andrew Cuomo is getting an Emmy award for his Covid briefings on TV. It feels like giving someone an award just for showing up and doing their job.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mu Zeta posted:

It feels like giving someone an award just for showing up and doing their job.

So you're saying it's an Emmy?

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mu Zeta posted:

Andrew Cuomo is getting an Emmy award for his Covid briefings on TV. It feels like giving someone an award just for showing up and doing their job.

Bruceski posted:

So you're saying it's an Emmy?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Oh my god Big Sky is poo poo.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Here's a better Montana themed film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO10s_HK6d0

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

We now know what the price was for HBO Max on FireTv. HBO as an amazon channel is going away.

https://www.engadget.com/amazon-prime-video-channels-hbo-044630697.html

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just grabbed a subscription to boomerang specifically for Courage the Cowardly Dog.

Jesus the Tower of Dr Zalost is a doozy. It’s as good as I remembered back when I was a depressed-rear end middle schooler.

Dr Zalost isn’t the villain in the episode. His depression is.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

bull3964 posted:

We now know what the price was for HBO Max on FireTv. HBO as an amazon channel is going away.

https://www.engadget.com/amazon-prime-video-channels-hbo-044630697.html

I got "free" hbo max as a result of my hbo sub on prime, just log into max via my Amazon login.

Wouldn't shock me if max just replaces it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Oh my god Big Sky is poo poo.

I wasn't hoping for something Twin Peaks-y, even though I knew it would be bland and dumbed down by comparison. I had no idea how dumbed down Big Sky would actually be. Every character is an obnoxious and stupid person who does the dumbest thing in every situation. I totally predicted the ending of the pilot, too.