Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You'd need more than pants to distract people from the fact that you're playing SF5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I like having variety in costumes - said the person who plays MB - but man oh man if poo poo don't feel like it's 90% titillation and if you point that out you're sex negative or whatever (I guess that's better than being an SJW, at least).

Pointing that poo poo out while tired and angry based on previous posting history wasn't probably the greatest idea tho.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Thing is that you get the Bayonetta problem where the characters that get used as examples of disgusting pandering that needs to be stamped out turn out to be characters that women actually really like, which sets off a big fault line and is pretty drat embarrassing when you're claiming to be speaking for women

In general the people speaking up about this tend to always end up tripping and falling facefirst into dog turds when they aren't outright exposed as sex pests

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i just like costumes that look cool. idgaf how practical or sexy they are its a video game i want my character to dress up in ways i wish i could

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

sharrrk posted:

i just like costumes that look cool. idgaf how practical or sexy they are its a video game i want my character to dress up in ways i wish i could

Yeah pretty much

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Reznor posted:

for a while I really was thinking about moding sf5 so Cammy wore some pants so I wouldn't have to feel embarrassed when people walked in while I was playing.

She has a Jill costume that gives her trousers now.

(Also it's just a good outfit, so it's one of her better costumes in general.)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Thing is that you get the Bayonetta problem where the characters that get used as examples of disgusting pandering that needs to be stamped out turn out to be characters that women actually really like, which sets off a big fault line and is pretty drat embarrassing when you're claiming to be speaking for women

In general the people speaking up about this tend to always end up tripping and falling facefirst into dog turds when they aren't outright exposed as sex pests

I have...issues with the usually anedoctal evidence of "women like it", especially because it's inside an already biased data group - people who are already into fighting games. Like, there's that SNK poll showing Mai as a popular girl among women that people like to bring up as evidence that women don't mind and actually enjoy those character designs and I'm like...no poo poo women that are into arcade games like the main heroine in the SNK series (no its not athena shut up). There's little actual empirical data on who women tend to play on the other hand, so that just leaves people that think it kinda suck getting these replies:

sharrrk posted:

and like, what the gently caress do you say to that? "Sure, I guess?". That's not even getting into more hairy topics concerning cis x trans women (not concerning whether or not they are women, if being condescending almost got me a "long probe" I better clarify that) in terms of identification and poo poo which I'm DEFINITELY not qualified to speak about.

all i'm saying is like, would it kill to give your female characters a cute dress or a silly costume or a body shape that's not supermodel every now and then? Granblue Fantasy is outside of the genre and does horny but also other character design types.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

The girl in the cute dress is what your ideal waifu. My casual girlfriend wants to play as Ivy and pretend to be a big titty BDSM dungeon master for a bit before she goes off to do something else.

It's okay to be horny!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Savage For The Winjun posted:

The girl in the cute dress is what your ideal waifu. My casual girlfriend wants to play as Ivy and pretend to be a big titty BDSM dungeon master for a bit before she goes off to do something else.

It's okay to be horny!

Well, a sixer and these posts sure will teach me to never ever ever ever engage in any sort of female design criticism in The Fighting Game Thread ever again. Something something it's Chinatown.

Anyway, 2020, slow year for fighting games, huh. I was looking at the TGA Best Fighting Game nominees (I know, I know) and it's three revisions, Granblue and One Punch Man. I guess Strive's coming at least.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

As far as casual fighting games go, I actually really enjoy SFV. There's always an active playerbase, it's easy to introduce friends and acquaintances to, and its explosive nature does give the neutral a certain tension that I find fun and rewarding of patience.

The costumes in it are pretty solid as well, which I appreciate. My personal favorites are Juri's Lilith costume and Cammy's Haunting Ground one, though the latter is less the costume and more me being grateful that game got recognized in some official manner.

The mod scene for the PC version is pretty dope too. I've downloaded some awesome sound mods that give everything a Third Strike flair, and the costume edits are super fun as well. However, as a Sakura player, that is a little tainted by how some of the best looking costume mods are bundled with TIT AND BODY ENHANCED STRUCTURE IMPROVED SAKURA PACK XXX.pak

Like, I understand that cheesecake is fun to draw/make and has its place, but I think a little tact and cheek makes that kind of thing way more fun than blatant pandering does.

Blue Labrador fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Nov 20, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The popularity poll for KoF has Mai be by far the favourite among women, while barely ranking among the men compared to the schoolgirl waifus. Women like a confident and attractive woman in an interesting outfit, it seems like. While there seems to be an idea that a progressive character design is a brunette teenage girl in murky brown clothes and no discernable personality, basically the female counterpart to the white male buzzcut that every game had to have as a protagonist for a decade.

Going all 'no, those women's opinions don't count' also seems pretty counterproductive.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

Endorph posted:

sexualized male designs are often very different from sexualized female designs, there are usually a wider variety of male designs, however there are also a lot of male characters in games like blazblue and granblue that are explicitly designed to pander to women and are successful at that but due to the dominance of straight male voices these are incredibly hard for people to identify or even realize exist, however the power dynamics of pandering to women via male characters are very different from pandering to men via female characters, however some people misattribute sexual female character designs in general to pandering to men when in reality those sorts of designs can also be a power fantasy for women, however 'its empowering' is also a very lame excuse a lot of designers use for titty designs, however titty designs arent inherently bad if they're presented as such honestly and without trying to make weird justifications for it, however it becomes a problem if every female character design is like that, however this doesnt mean that no female character designs should be like that, however we're very far from that being a thing that's remotely likely to happen, however every person is going to have their own individual opinions on what designs are 'good' and 'bad,' however that doesnt mean nobody's allowed to criticize anything, however marie rose's dashing normals are overpowered

think that covers everything

I love how Endorph post was the perfect answer to this argument and 100 posts later here we are again.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

I love how Endorph post was the perfect answer to this argument and 100 posts later here we are again.

I mean to not do this Diaa would have to have read an Endprph post and not been a weirdo about it which...

Anyway my 40000 hours of RPG And fight game research that we gals love it when you have a couple of pretty young men who are a little emotionally distant at first but honest with one another and then maybe an older slightly more mature woman who helps them. That's the winning secret.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Dias posted:

Well, a sixer and these posts sure will teach me to never ever ever ever engage in any sort of female design criticism in The Fighting Game Thread ever again. Something something it's Chinatown.

Anyway, 2020, slow year for fighting games, huh. I was looking at the TGA Best Fighting Game nominees (I know, I know) and it's three revisions, Granblue and One Punch Man. I guess Strive's coming at least.

Not to dig up the past, but I think the sixer was more related to your weird meltdown afterwards and calling people darling and stuff tho..

I feel like there was probably SUPPOSED to be a bunch of fighting game news this year, what with the marvel resurgence and all the leaked stuff about SF6's design and such, but the pandemic sort of shut it all down. So now we get.. uh.. a bad final season for SFV and only DLC announcements

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I just wish Eliot and Hayate would have gotten as much DLC costume love as the girls in DOA 6.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Not to dig up the past, but I think the sixer was more related to your weird meltdown afterwards and calling people darling and stuff tho..

I feel like there was probably SUPPOSED to be a bunch of fighting game news this year, what with the marvel resurgence and all the leaked stuff about SF6's design and such, but the pandemic sort of shut it all down. So now we get.. uh.. a bad final season for SFV and only DLC announcements

Tekken 7 is also doing a new season, which seems to be.... okay. Haven't really heard much aside from that. Yeah the pandemic just slowed down everything and pushed things into 2021.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I feel like there was probably SUPPOSED to be a bunch of fighting game news this year, what with the marvel resurgence and all the leaked stuff about SF6's design and such, but the pandemic sort of shut it all down.
Unless they hid one behind some fancy code name the recent leaks suggest Capcom had jack poo poo in terms of fighting game plans for the next couple years apart from SF6.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly granblue is cool because for lancelot's win pose they specifically asked all the female devs what they wanted lancelot to do in his win pose and thats why he smiles sweetly at the opponent and reaches to help them up, and the camera is from the opponent's perspective

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Endorph posted:

honestly granblue is cool because for lancelot's win pose they specifically asked all the female devs what they wanted lancelot to do in his win pose and thats why he smiles sweetly at the opponent and reaches to help them up, and the camera is from the opponent's perspective

thats dope

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The popularity poll for KoF has Mai be by far the favourite among women, while barely ranking among the men compared to the schoolgirl waifus. Women like a confident and attractive woman in an interesting outfit, it seems like. While there seems to be an idea that a progressive character design is a brunette teenage girl in murky brown clothes and no discernable personality, basically the female counterpart to the white male buzzcut that every game had to have as a protagonist for a decade.

Going all 'no, those women's opinions don't count' also seems pretty counterproductive.
To be fair they're right in that that poll is obviously biased towards people who are already fans of KoF, without any study on how she comes across to people discovering the series for the first time, but on the other hand yeah, she is, or at least was, distinctly, uniquely popular with women while not being popular at all with men. So there's definitely something about Mai that appeals to women, that's inarguable. But on the other hand, yeah, 'how does she come across to people who aren't invested in KoF' is also a point. Which is why I think variety is a good thing to want, since it means that people are more likely to take her design on good faith if she's mixed in with a variety of different designs, rather than hers being the standard.

Which KoF basically manages, which is probably why Mai was popular. Easier for the people who are actually fans to take her on good faith, too. There could maybe be a bit more design variety but like, Whip, Vanessa, Kula, Athena, Angel, Mai all exist in the same series and are in pretty different design spaces.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
SNK has gotten worse about titillation over time but like old KoF, Mai was an outlier and you had massively varied design and even the other characters who were supposed to be overtly sexy like Shermie were still extremely modest by current fighting game standards. Once again, the problem is not that sexualized women characters exist, it's that they're near monolithic in their representation of women in fighting games.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Oberst posted:

I too have no idea what women like

Women like characters with overly complicated command throws.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Chev posted:

Unless they hid one behind some fancy code name the recent leaks suggest Capcom had jack poo poo in terms of fighting game plans for the next couple years apart from SF6.

can't blame them really. sf is easy money even when bad and everything else has just been bad. launch one decent game and then think about over saturating the market

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Extra Large Marge posted:

And girls, they wanna mash square
Oh girls just want to mash square~~

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2wsyvpruzA

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think overly complicated command throws are just a universal love tbh.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

all i ever wanted for 2020 was a marvel tournament with marlinpie in it

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

It is a long solved question. All that remains is to have the struggle session. Is it okay for all female designs to be hornt up all the time so any random bit of add copy might have enough boobs to entice a nerd to play a game? No, but it will never change and it is painful for most people to think about.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You'd need more than pants to distract people from the fact that you're playing SF5

SFV character designs are something I can identify as clearly horny to someone but also grotesque at the same time.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

I'm glad I bought the game because it made me horny

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Things that make me horny:

- sweet vegeta ki blast loops
- simplified input controls
- the entire female cast of granblue

Hell gently caress it the male cast too!

Oberst fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 20, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oberst posted:

Things that make me horny:

- sweet vegeta ki blast loops
- simplified input controls
- the entire female cast of granblue

Hell gently caress it the male cast too!
do you work for arcsys

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Things that make me hrony

-Dragunov WR2
-AK blue spark dupper
-Ganon's Warlock Punch
-Benimaru

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dias posted:

The probation was for the weird sniping at another poster, not for your opinions on female designs in video games, which is a complicated issue on which reasonable people might have nuanced differing opinions

I hope this helps

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

id also like to remind you that you were sniping at me for, literally agreeing with you. the post i was replying to and making fun of, was someone going 'but what about the sexy GUY designs!?' which seems like an opinion you'd also make fun of.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nazzadan posted:

Things that make me hrony

-Dragunov WR2
-AK blue spark dupper
-Ganon's Warlock Punch
-Benimaru

Gonna go with
- landing a [9] hammer with Mr. Game & Watch
- A.B.A's chain command grab
- Yoshimitsu's everything
- Bang Shishigami's Astral Finish
- Nurse Valentine's primary Lotus command grab

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Anyways before I peace out, if voice casting is part of character design then Labrys has the best catch design of any gender in fighting games and that's my final answer

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

cheetah7071 posted:

The probation was for the weird sniping at another poster, not for your opinions on female designs in video games, which is a complicated issue on which reasonable people might have nuanced differing opinions

I hope this helps

I don't care anymore, I wasn't implying the sixer was wrong, just that discussing this subject here loving sucks always because of the same people and I need to tell myself that. But I'm still bitter at being told "I used a sexist slur" off of a waifu comment.

also lol i got reported again huh

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dias posted:

I don't care anymore, I wasn't implying the sixer was wrong, just that discussing this subject here loving sucks always because of the same people and I need to tell myself that. But I'm still bitter at being told "I used a sexist slur" off of a waifu comment.

also lol i got reported again huh

Sent you a PM, no need for the rest of the thread to continue this discussion right now imo

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
is the only way to get Vegas sf2 costume in sfv through loot boxes? Do I gotta wait for the shop to say I have a chance to win it or is there always a chance?

Also looking for comedy answers on what the new sfv battle mechanic will be cuz yall are funny and make me laugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Wrist Watch posted:

I feel like I should be used to it at this point but I'm constantly shocked by how much disdain nintendo has for competitive smash. They could make an unfathomable amount of money if they embraced it and went full esports but instead they barely tolerate it because they hate how competitive smash works.

There's way, way, way less money in any of this than most people think there is.

Nintendo could capture a chunk, but they could also make a lot of money in a lot of other places without having to deal with Smash people.