Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Strider 2014 starts off as a very straight forward action focused metroidvania. You're the titular Strider, cyborg robot assassin, just running around full speed killing everything in your way. It's very arcade style and pretty fun to flip around the levels killing the basic enemies. The bosses are simple too, and some of them later reappear on stages as weaker versions as part of the enemy mobs. It really just has a fun simple action vibe to it.

Alas, no fast travel. So gently caress that game. There are people who probably love that, the same kind of people who play Dark Souls without fast travel, and while I may think they are insane they must love doing that because otherwise they're just torturing themselves just to feel anything.

I'm at a loss to understand why so many games are basically gating off fast travel or trying to force players to 'slow down' and experience the impressive scenery and vistas. If the game is good enough people will do that on their own. I played Witcher 3 with the fast travel anywhere mod and still had many times where I used Roach to travel places, or just ran with the character instead of fast travel because I wanted to travel through the gorgeous environments. Any game where its suddenly "no it has to be ~realistic~" can take that terrible game design idea straight to hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

If traversal is an interesting challenge then no fast travel. I would never want fast travel in STALKER for example. Witcher 3 has a lot of incidental stuff to discover, but discovery isn’t challenge, it’s incentive to not fast travel. If a player is sure they’ve gotten everything, or is not interested in exploration, they should be able to fast travel in that context.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The game seemed overall very linear and with little in the way of Metroidvania-style backtracking to me when I played it back in the day, so I suppose they might just have felt that there wasn't any real need for it. It has been a long time, though, so I might be misremembering.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Clever trick to add 20% of extra gameplay with zero development costs.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it's a weird one - like, there's stuff you can go back for and get rewarded for doing so, but most of the game is a linear platformer that just happens to be set in a sprawling interconnected map that sometimes crosses back over itself when you unlock more traversal options. i don't remember ever being confused about where i needed to be next.
i was going to say there is fast travel but then realised what i meant was there are ability-gated bridges between areas you would otherwise have to backtrack through rather than castlevania-style teleporters. i will defend that decision though because super metroid did the same thing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jamfrost posted:

I played Hellblade the first time blind, then again with more knowledge about the mechanics after two years. I definitely want to play it again.

And if you aren't a tinkerer, you definitely might have missed out on how to modify your moves, which adds to the depth and approach you can take. Also, perfect parries feel so good. Hopefully the images show up that have the perfect parry flash.

Om nom nom. I hope the sequel is awesome.

I think Hellblade's perfect parry is one of those video game sounds that will be forever etched into my memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF6xOoY7EI0

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ghostlight posted:

it's a weird one - like, there's stuff you can go back for and get rewarded for doing so, but most of the game is a linear platformer that just happens to be set in a sprawling interconnected map that sometimes crosses back over itself when you unlock more traversal options. i don't remember ever being confused about where i needed to be next.
Yeah, this. Strider is set up like a ball of yarn - the path crisscrosses back and forth over itself a bunch, but there's still mostly only one route to follow. Not that fast travel wouldn't have been fine to have anyway, but they manage to do it cleverly enough that I never realized how notably absent it is for a game in this genre until pentyne mentioned it. Bit of a "huh, now that you say it..." moment.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I've been toying with the idea of LPing Hellblade for a while, but I have zero confidence on being able to carry commentary for the... 7ish hours? the game lasts, especially considering my usual commentary style would probably clash horribly with the game. Alas. :(

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They just released a remastered version of Bloodrayne 1+2: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1373510/BloodRayne_Terminal_Cut/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1373550/BloodRayne_2_Terminal_Cut/

I was curious when these games came out but never got around to playing them when they were released. Probably because I was 12. Are they any good? Do they hold up?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I liked the original but didn't think much of the sequel. It's been too long since I played for me to say anything about why, though.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
They made a Bloodrayne movie where she battles a vampire Billy the Kid or something. Sounds cool

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

only thing i remember about bloodrayne is that they put a nude render of the main character in playboy once

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i'm actually really enjoying playing No Man's Sky but there's one ironically annoying thing about its incredible improvement:

finding information on the net that's still applicable is awful :arghfist:

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Ciaphas posted:

i'm actually really enjoying playing No Man's Sky but there's one ironically annoying thing about its incredible improvement:

finding information on the net that's still applicable is awful :arghfist:

I had this problem, too. The 2020 update was so substantial and touched so many systems, but the fan made documentation for the game is mostly from 2016. Really enjoyed my time with it, though, despite the crummy guides.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I'm enjoying NMS now that I finally got into it, but it suffers from a terrible case of terminal crafting system.

Your warp fuel is made of 2 thingummis amd 1 wotsit, a wotsit requires 20 itemies and 25 clunkits, a thingummi requires dirtstuff and burnos together in a smelter, you forgot your smelter so you need three dickedoos and a boltnut to make one... you need 5 boltnuts to make a clunkit but you can't break a clunkit back down into boltnuts...

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I haven't ventured further into my rogue like list yet, but I do have another question.

Does anyone have opinions on Crying Suns or Darksburg from Humble Monthly? I'm probably going to pause this month unless those two are something special. I already have Kiwami 2, and I have yet to play any Darksiders game

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

nordichammer posted:

I haven't ventured further into my rogue like list yet, but I do have another question.

Does anyone have opinions on Crying Suns or Darksburg from Humble Monthly? I'm probably going to pause this month unless those two are something special. I already have Kiwami 2, and I have yet to play any Darksiders game

I remember hearing Crying Suns was pretty cool, but maybe didn't have as much longevity as some others.

I still always come back to Isaac and Gungeon myself. Though I am really enjoying Hades as well.

Hard to go wrong with the more classic style like Tales of Maj'eyal and Caves of Qud if that is more your speed.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I gave Crying Suns a go and it's a pretty fun roguelike. I don't see myself putting in like, hundreds of hours into it, but it's not bad. My main criticism is that I feel that I don't get enough cool toys to play around with during a run. I haven't seen any weapon or anything that's like, run defining.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

nordichammer posted:

I gave a quick impression of Crying Suns back when it first released:

quote:

Ok so I put a fair amount of hours into Crying Suns now and here are my thoughts:

Artstyle is really cool, it meshes 3D and sprites very well and creates some really visually pleasing scenarios.
Story is neat! Kept me interested in pushing forward to see what was going on.
Game is a lot more simplistic than FTL. Once you figure out the formula, you'll probably never die again. I died twice while learning the ropes in the first chapter, once to the second boss, then never got close to dying again until the very final boss (And that boss is bullshit, I might add).
The enemy AI is overly aggressive and predictable with its units, making it really easy to exploit. Facing an enemy ship with a stronger initial fleet than you? Just put up some counters, keep back until you clear them out, then move forward and take out their bay and weapons while their ships are down. This works for pretty much every enemy through the entire game.
The planetary expedition action is hilariously powerful in how many resources it gets you, and gets easy to abuse once you build up a decent library of special officers.
The game never really... gets any harder. If you can beat the second chapter, you can beat them all (maybe with the exception of the final boss, which is, as mentioned, bullshit), and also:
The game never really... gets any different. Only difference between the chapters is that you meet more of that factions ships (and since any type of ship can show up in any chapter, just at lower rates, they all end up feeling the same). Most events are shared among all chapters, with the exception of a seemingly handful of story related events that you'll probably only see once.

All in all, it's not an evergreen game like FTL, and I'm probably not gonna come back to it much once I finish the story, but I'd still say it's an enjoyable experience and don't regret the purchase. It's definitely a lot more story-driven than FTL, and doesn't try to hide it, so if that sounds like your thing, go for it.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 20, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Can you do cross-platform multiplayer with games you got through Twitch Prime? I've been getting into Victor Vran a little recently and a friend would be interested in doing a bit of co-op, but I have no idea how you'd even set that up.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Sweet thanks for the impressions

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I want to get a couple Lego games for my kids for Christmas. They're 4 and 7 and they love to watch me play things but I really want them to actually play with me. Are they easy to play co-op if I let one of them use a controller and I use KB+M? Or do I have to get a second controller? I am thinking of Marvel Super Heroes (for the 4yo) and Harry Potter 1-4 (for the 7yo).

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

OzFactor posted:

I want to get a couple Lego games for my kids for Christmas. They're 4 and 7 and they love to watch me play things but I really want them to actually play with me. Are they easy to play co-op if I let one of them use a controller and I use KB+M? Or do I have to get a second controller? I am thinking of Marvel Super Heroes (for the 4yo) and Harry Potter 1-4 (for the 7yo).

Havent played any recent Lego games so cant help you too much with the technical questions, but from what I recall, they are pretty much all very friendly for couch coop. I imagine that keyboard plus controller would work, but you might need 2 controllers.

As for games, Ive seen Lego DC Supervillains recommended several times by goons ITT. Looks like a game where you make your own hero villian for the story which would be real cool for the kids. Been on my wishlist for a bit, but I might take the plunge next sale

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

buglord posted:

Anyone having trouble launching elite dangerous? this supposedly medicore game is giving me little incentive to try it out when I launch the game and am still unable to connect.

Bought it on sale because I'd still rather pay $10 than deal with EGS, had to register an account through the launcher, verify it, verify it again, then the launcher started screaming at me to buy the game before it'd let me play it, then started crashing on launch. Immediately refunded. I'm fully aware this is probably because of the Epic influx, but it kind of drives home how I feel about trumped-up always-online requirements for a game I only had any intention of playing solo to begin with, so, saved myself $10 I guess.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Bought it on sale because I'd still rather pay $10 than deal with EGS, had to register an account through the launcher, verify it, verify it again, then the launcher started screaming at me to buy the game before it'd let me play it, then started crashing on launch. Immediately refunded. I'm fully aware this is probably because of the Epic influx, but it kind of drives home how I feel about trumped-up always-online requirements for a game I only had any intention of playing solo to begin with, so, saved myself $10 I guess.

I remember when I bought it for Steam I had to create an account with the company also and then that didnt work, there was some weird convoluted sub option to link accounts that wasn't readily apparent .
It was a real pain in the rear end.
And then I hated the controls.
Just one frustration after another.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hey Steam thread. I wanted to talk about a little game called Tenderfoot Tactics, which launched with approximately no fanfare (and certainly none here) about a month ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGL0gDMsrgI

I've been playing it on and off since then and while I freely acknowledge it's not for everyone, for me it's a fun little blend of Final Fantasy Tactics and... X-Com 2?

And Firewatch or some other orienteering game. You have no minimap, so you have to orient yourself on the world map based on the geometry you can see. At the start you get a map with the goblin towns and two towers, one west and one east. Each town has a map of the local area but the central citadel that's spitting out weird magic fog is always "north" on the town maps. Your opening quest, traveling from the starting east tower to the west will give you another map with the locations of the tier 3 class unlocks, and then stuff gets really wild.

Like, here's me just playing around with tier 2 classes, growing bushes on the map to slow down advancing bog trolls (and dropping a meteor on the one that got past, creating a pit).

Tier 3 stuff is, like, opening magma fissures, calling down rainstorms, flash-boiling or electrifying an entire body of water. The melee guys have some fun too, darting through brush for assassination, getting madder as they take damage and letting it out in a bull charge, creating and exploiting height differentials (and healing when they catch fire), and wielding a sword that is actually a plowshare, striking a vast arc and planting seeds to grow brush to slow down the enemy advance.

Of course by then you're not just fighting corrupted goblins, you're fighting frost giants and shadow witches, so you kind of need the firepower. And at least one of the many variations on Solar Flare, because turn delay wins games.

It launched in a pretty rough but workable state and it's been getting worked on over the past month, and most of the issues I had with it have been ironed out, to the point that I'm comfortable recommending it to random goons on the internet. It's not for everyone and you might bounce off it pretty hard (but hopefully inside the refund time) but if you've ever wanted to flashbang a bunch of fire giants, drop them in a pit, knock the stragglers in with a wave, and then grow trees around it so they can only barely climb out, this might be your jam.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
That sounds really cool -- playing a lot of Noita definitely has me fixated on "big spells" so I'll absolutely give that a shot

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Anyone ever put time into or play Project Snowblind?

The reviews say it was supposed to be a follow up to Deus Ex but was rushed out as its own thing. It starts off with a gunfire and explosions everywhere attack you fight through, then get hit with a massive explosion and wake up as an augmented soldier. Its got a surprising amount of polish and feels like they were definitely going to build up a AAA rpg shooter just from how much detail and casual dialog you encounter in the early game. It very early 2000s PC game design so it's missing a lot of the standard QoL features from later first person games, but otherwise seems pretty competent.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

pentyne posted:

The reviews say it was supposed to be a follow up to Deus Ex but was rushed out as its own thing. It starts off with a gunfire and explosions everywhere attack you fight through, then get hit with a massive explosion and wake up as an augmented soldier. Its got a surprising amount of polish and feels like they were definitely going to build up a AAA rpg shooter just from how much detail and casual dialog you encounter in the early game. It very early 2000s PC game design so it's missing a lot of the standard QoL features from later first person games, but otherwise seems pretty competent.

I enjoyed it enough to finish it on Xbox, but I couldn't tell you much more about it :v:

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

I haven't played it yet, but it's less than one Euro on Steam right now, so what the hell. Should be an interesting historical experience if nothing else.

I'll report back.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

pentyne posted:

It's solidly alright, though if I remember right it has some sections where it pretends it's going to do a full Deus Ex branching paths thing but instead it's actually just "do you sneak past this one turret so you can shoot some guys...or do you blow up the turret and then shoot the guys" non-choices.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

OgNar posted:

I remember when I bought it for Steam I had to create an account with the company also and then that didnt work, there was some weird convoluted sub option to link accounts that wasn't readily apparent .
It was a real pain in the rear end.
And then I hated the controls.
Just one frustration after another.

I never had any issues getting ED to work when I bought it years ago, but the controls were a nightmare. I had an experienced friend online help me start playing and I remember getting angry at the interface control choices. However, once I actually understood the paradigm they use and it all snapped into place it's actually fine. But yeah, it seemed arbitrary and actively annoying when I started.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Project Snowblind is on my list of pseudo rpg fps games to play, right after Alpha Protocol, System Shock 2 and a replay of Thief 1 and 2 with mods.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If I could only pick one, should I play Tomb Raider Anniversary, Legend, or Underworld?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Glazius posted:

Like, here's me just playing around with tier 2 classes, growing bushes on the map to slow down advancing bog trolls (and dropping a meteor on the one that got past, creating a pit).

I don't expect indie turn-based strategy games to have incredible graphics but being able to read things like different types of units, terrain, enemies, distance, etc at a glance is like the most basic thing you could expect and this mess of untextured blobs is the opposite of that, especially given the lack of a minimap. The flat shading is especially terrible because even in motion in the trailer it makes it really difficult to judge height since there's no depth to anything and the ability to change the height and depth of unit tiles is supposed to be such a fundamental feature. It feels like they're trying to rip off Massive Chalice's aesthetic but lacking the skill/resources to make it work.

Not surprised at all that the thing is bombing.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Taintrunner posted:

If I could only pick one, should I play Tomb Raider Anniversary, Legend, or Underworld?

Basically either of the ones that aren't Legend. Anniversary is the most faithfully "old school" since it's a remake of the very first game, so lots of puzzles and traps and minimal combat. Underworld is prettier and more polished than Legend and overall executes the "modern Tomb Raider" style more capably.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Taintrunner posted:

I'd say Anniversary. It is a remake of the very first Tomb Raider game and as such it is a bit heavier on puzzles, but it also is self-contained and you'll get a touch of gaming history.
My personal favorite is Legend, though. They tried sticking a lot of ideas in there and while most of them did not pan out, it has a lot of heart, really felt like an honest attempt to reboot nineties Tomb Raider while still getting what it was all about.
Underworld is just cheap, feels like very little effort went into it.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 21, 2020

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Keep in mind that The Binding of Isaac: Repentance is supposed to come out sometime in December. It's a humongous update that doesn't just incorporate Anti-Birth - an already massive and well-regarded fan expansion - but adds a whole slew of new stuff, including a bunch of stuff that wasn't initally incorporated from the old Flash version.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Why on Earth are they flogging that old dead horse? The only times I hear people reference Isaac is to point out how much better newer titles are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Serephina posted:

Why on Earth are they flogging that old dead horse? The only times I hear people reference Isaac is to point out how much better newer titles are.

You leave my favorite game alone!

They’re making more because it keeps selling, nerd!