Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

MrYenko posted:

My buddy got his Reverb G2 yesterday and is stoked to get motion sick as gently caress at 15fps in DCS since neither of us has been able to score a 30xx card yet. (He still has a loving 970.)

No problem, that game's engine is like 25 years old so it should run just fine. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Shine posted:

No problem, that game's engine is like 25 years old so it should run just fine. :shepface:

VR performance is inversely proportional to how new the game is.

This was kind of meant as a joke but also the more I think about it the more it’s vaguely true because it seems like not-originally VR games really need a lot of attention to not suck rear end in VR performance wise.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Anime Store Adventure posted:

This was kind of meant as a joke but also the more I think about it the more it’s vaguely true because it seems like not-originally VR games really need a lot of attention to not suck rear end in VR performance wise.

I know what you mean; X-Wing Alliance has a VR mod, but it's a struggle to get it running well because the engine is all software rendering.

DCS gets on my nerves because the game, even outside VR, seems to run worse and worse as time goes on. Like, they're probably to make the engine do stuff that they just can't optimize it to do well, so it gets proportionally slower and shittier over time. I can't think of any other game I have where I think "man, this seemed to run better 8 years ago."

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

kojei posted:

The VR stuff is in the stable branch, so wherever you own the game, if your account is flagged for VR, you have access to it. That said, you're not going to be playing it on your Index. Not yet, anyway.
The second wave of VR beta testers includes non-WMR headsets, IIRC.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

The second wave of VR beta testers includes non-WMR headsets, IIRC.

Hence the "yet".

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Anime Store Adventure posted:

As far as race sims go iracing is by far the best VR experience and not only is it 11 years old itself, but its codebase has its roots in Grand Prix Legends (1998) and may actually still include some code from NASCAR Racing 2003.

Probably an exception to the rule, though, because otherwise I think your observation mostly holds up.

Theris fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 20, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Yeah, I've never had issues with iRacing in VR. Runs way better for me than, say, Project Cars 2.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

kojei posted:

Hence the "yet".
I thought they sent out the invites, as per their dev update?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Best VR game for me stays Warm Thunder, at least when I last played it. Ran smooth like silk on a gtx970.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

I thought they sent out the invites, as per their dev update?

Ah, so they did. Still, considering he was asking if the Index will work instead of playing the game, the answer is still "not yet."

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Awesome, after months of not having issues, I've suddenly developed the gamecrash when loading approach bug.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Lord Stimperor posted:

Best VR game for me stays Warm Thunder, at least when I last played it. Ran smooth like silk on a gtx970.

Yeah, War Thunder runs very well in VR, though I've not tried it since the Biggest Update Ever thingy they pushed out. Biggest issue is the UI, which has scaling issues in VR that you have to fix by messing with the non-VR window resolution.

I wish you could put bots in both tanks and planes in private games. I'd love to do some combined arms PvE with my friends.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Shine posted:

Yeah, War Thunder runs very well in VR, though I've not tried it since the Biggest Update Ever thingy they pushed out. Biggest issue is the UI, which has scaling issues in VR that you have to fix by messing with the non-VR window resolution.

I wish you could put bots in both tanks and planes in private games. I'd love to do some combined arms PvE with my friends.

Same, that's why I used to play almost exclusively Enduring Confrontation. Usually there were plenty of AI ground targets, and often the game would also spawn AI air targets. I don't like competitive sim flying, it's 90 minuts of waiting and 2 seconds of fighting before being shot down from someone who circled in the sun at 26,000ft and sniped you from three kilometers away.

Anyhow, I've for the first time flown a complete flight with the a320neo in MSFS2020. I watched a tutorial before on YouTube and took about 7 A5 pages of note on how to configure the plane for the various phases, plus spent a good tme creating my own flight briefing at simbrief.com. Having the plane do an entire trip at the push of a button was really satisying, purely as a learning experience. Not so fun is trying to negotiate with the ATC, who tells me to climb to 12,000ft when I'm 5 miles from the runway with my gear out. Oh well. Small victories.

Best thing: you can actually have little simulation people load baggage and catering in your plane, and watch the trolleys and truck disappear into the cargo hold. That's super dorky and cute.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
The FlyByWire mod for the A320 is quite impressive and I'm having a blast flying it lately. Their team is pretty impressive, a pretty active discord server with something like a dozen IRL A320 pilots who are contributing their knowledge to the devs. They just showed off a prototype of a system that lets you import a simbrief plan directly into the MCDU instead of manually typing everything in.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Is icing bugged in MSFS for anybody else? I just lawn-darted a C172 into part of Canada despite having it set to "visual only" because I went vaguely near a cloud and immediately froze solid.

I can find people online complaining that icing set to "on" is having no effect, but nobody with the opposite problem like I've got.

Similarly, is in-game v-sync totally broken? It seems to target double whatever I set the frame limiter to (ie. the game caps at 60 fps with the limiter at 30) until I pop out a Garmin screen, at which point the fps increases up above the frame cap. Playing with the v-sync settings in Nvidia control panel had no effect, so I've switched them all back to their default off setting.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Can someone explain how to get what I assume is True Air Speed using this gauge? I'm pretty sure you need to twist the knob as you gain in altitude, but I can't really see what should be where. In this picture I'm at 10,000 feet. What would my TAS be?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Would you twist it until the number 10(000) lines up with the outside air temperature?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Almost, but you need to know your pressure altitude, not your indicated altitude.

Find your pressure altitude by setting 29.92 on the altimeter and reading the value that comes up. Get your outside air temperature from the wing root thermometer at the upper corner of the windshield (or wherever it is). Set those two values opposite each other at the top of the gauge, then read your TAS from the position of the needle against the white sector at the lower left of the gauge. Don't forget to set your altimeter back to its proper value afterwards.

Right now it is set for a standard day at sea level, with 15C opposite 0 feet, which is why your IAS and TAS are indicated equal.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

jammyozzy posted:

Is icing bugged in MSFS for anybody else? I just lawn-darted a C172 into part of Canada despite having it set to "visual only" because I went vaguely near a cloud and immediately froze solid.

Yep. I'm in New England and I can't fly with real weather on most days unless the plane has de-icing stuff in it.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

Almost, but you need to know your pressure altitude, not your indicated altitude.

Find your pressure altitude by setting 29.92 on the altimeter and reading the value that comes up. Get your outside air temperature from the wing root thermometer at the upper corner of the windshield (or wherever it is). Set those two values opposite each other at the top of the gauge, then read your TAS from the position of the needle against the white sector at the lower left of the gauge. Don't forget to set your altimeter back to its proper value afterwards.

Right now it is set for a standard day at sea level, with 15C opposite 0 feet, which is why your IAS and TAS are indicated equal.

Perfect, thanks for the explanation!

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Strongly considering to buy the Mooney from the shop. It's got classic VOR navigation equipment, seats a group, and is fast. That must make for cool trips.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Bedurndurn posted:

Yep. I'm in New England and I can't fly with real weather on most days unless the plane has de-icing stuff in it.

That's disappointing, I was having a good time flying in some moody cloudy weather.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I haven't played in a couple of months, but I've found it ices up if the drone goes through clouds, instantly full ices up if you look away, etc.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
tbf the exact same fatal lawn-dart thing happened to somebody up in I think Buffalo? very recently

icing will gently caress you up

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Sapozhnik posted:

tbf the exact same fatal lawn-dart thing happened to somebody up in I think Buffalo? very recently

It was 2009 and icing was not the primary probable cause for that accident.

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Pages/AAR1001.aspx

American Eagle 4184 in 1994 was the last major fatal crash attributed to icing.

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Pages/AAR9601.aspx

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Nov 23, 2020

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Sapozhnik posted:

Sure, and if I was playing as a try-hard sim grognard I wouldn't mind. I'm just buzzing around with a 360 controller checking out the scenery and miffed that the game is ignoring some menu settings.

I.never got v-sync or the frame limiter working either. I'm tempted to try re-installing but I'm not convinced that will achieve anything.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
There's another sale going on at the DCS store (Steam coming later apparently, but lol), until December 7th.

Also there's another mission this weekend:

Operation Thousand Words

Syrian Democractic Forces have rallied in Aleppo. ISIL has consolidated in Raqqa and the surrounding area, including the airfield at Tabqa. Our coalition is preparing to dislodge ISIL and assist the SDF in moving the fight to Raqqa.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Grz7yEp70GOFfjch3zD1mp2TpDStdapDdqNVTAOu6c/edit#gid=0

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcj8yJk87cs&t=17s

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjY-9lkgzVs

Trailer for an Ace Combat-esque campaign for DCS. Fictional countries with real planes, voice-acting, music from the guy that does the Ace Combat games, etc.

Looks super cool!

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Project Wingman is coming out in ~ a week too.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Trillhouse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjY-9lkgzVs

Trailer for an Ace Combat-esque campaign for DCS. Fictional countries with real planes, voice-acting, music from the guy that does the Ace Combat games, etc.

Looks super cool!

Is that the DEMON? How is that possible? :|

I like what they're going for but lmao this voice acting is so loving bad. It really does feel like a cheap imitation.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

M.... multi flap drifting?!?!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Shine posted:

Got my G2 yesterday. Running it with a 1080, DCS is absolutely loving stunning in VR. I mean, it’s a jittery, unplayable puke-fest while you’re sitting still on the deck, but the slideshow is absolutely breathtaking.

My 3090 comes on Friday. :shepspends:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Is that the DEMON? How is that possible? :|

I like what they're going for but lmao this voice acting is so loving bad. It really does feel like a cheap imitation.

Actually I could use a campaign that's super cheesy but oozes enthusiasm and fun. Might motivate me to get back into DCS and re-learn the F18.

(I just remembered that my Throttle died and how horrible it is to set up dozens of control binding in a sim so I'm in fact probably not playing that campaign)

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

MrYenko posted:

Got my G2 yesterday. Running it with a 1080, DCS is absolutely loving stunning in VR. I mean, it’s a jittery, unplayable puke-fest while you’re sitting still on the deck, but the slideshow is absolutely breathtaking.

My 3090 comes on Friday. :shepspends:

That's Sicky I wish you all the best. Going from a 970 to a 2070 did lots for my experience.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

JayKay posted:

Eh, only issue I've run into buying on Steam vs Windows Marketplace is that the Navigraph beta only supports Windows Marketplace at the moment.

It's supported the Steam version since like the second update.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Kilonum posted:

It's supported the Steam version since like the second update.

Whaaaaaaaaaaat? Well that takes care of one of my gripes with MSFS2020.

Edit: Updating now with the beta, thanks!

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

For anyone on the fence about FS 2020 due to lower end hardware, I'm enjoying autopilot hurling my plane groundward at a much higher subjective performance than expected with a 2 gig gtx960 and 46xx i5. It feels smoother than full detail FSX most of the time. Using 70% render scaling with TAA wizardry looks great at 2560x1080 with low/medium settings at 40fps.

The autopilot randomly deciding that FL100 means FL0 on activation is a little offputting though.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What’s your autopilot workflow? What are you pressing in what order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Speaking of FS2020, looks like the USA world update just dropped along with 1.11.6.0. Photogrammetry loading optimized, autogen buildings and bridges improved, miscellaneous bugfixes. I see a lot of airports being patched - 48 according to a splash screen. Elevation data updated, 1m resolution in some places. New discovery flight - East Coast USA. 4 new bespoke airports (Atlanta, New York Stewart, Dallas/Fort Worth, Friday Harbor). 50 new POIs, looks like Washington DC got a makeover.

Tiny Steam update, 12.75 MB updater download with a lot of small files patched. 4.24 GB from the marketplace for the USA update.