Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

are BP fastballs typically 95+?

No, but usually to simulate high velocity you throw BP from a very close distance. I of course can't say what the issue is but the Cubs really poor hitting versus velocity could be attributed to lax training discipline over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I was only in Denver for a weekend but based on how people talked about 'Nolan', trading him to any team seems like it would be hugely damaging. It feels like an *intensely* larger value to the Rockies to try to keep him and make him happy enough than trying to get even a really good prospect return.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

bawfuls posted:

How do Colorado fans feel about SF these days? Would they meltdown if Farhan snuck in and grabbed Arenado?

I've been going to games at Coors for a long time and even when the Giants were winning championships, it was clear that LA was the main archrival. Rockies fans are chill and fatalistic and I've never seen anyone being an rear end to visiting fans, but there's definitely an edge when the Dodgers are in town that isn't there when SF is playing. Not sure why that is tbh.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Shiroc posted:

I was only in Denver for a weekend but based on how people talked about 'Nolan', trading him to any team seems like it would be hugely damaging. It feels like an *intensely* larger value to the Rockies to try to keep him and make him happy enough than trying to get even a really good prospect return.

I mean this is the same league where Mookie was traded for peanuts and Lindor has been shopped around for three years. Owners don’t give a gently caress about fan happiness because they know you’ll eventually come crawling back out of misplaced ~*team loyalty*~.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

are BP fastballs typically 95+?

"BP" as we usually use it isn't, but there's also BP that's a machine setup on the mound that can definitely get up there. During the intrasquad stuff way back at the beginning of Summer Camp, they showed some post-game machine ABs that a bunch of Yankees were taking.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

I've been going to games at Coors for a long time and even when the Giants were winning championships, it was clear that LA was the main archrival. Rockies fans are chill and fatalistic and I've never seen anyone being an rear end to visiting fans, but there's definitely an edge when the Dodgers are in town that isn't there when SF is playing. Not sure why that is tbh.
This is what I suspected but I can't really put a finger on why. Thanks for the insight.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I mean this is the same league where Mookie was traded for peanuts and Lindor has been shopped around for three years. Owners don’t give a gently caress about fan happiness because they know you’ll eventually come crawling back out of misplaced ~*team loyalty*~.
Trading Mookie was a huge gently caress up but it's unfair to Verdugo to call him "peanuts," the guy just put up 1.9 bWAR in 53 games and garnered downballot MVP votes.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 20, 2020

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Is it just me or is the Stanton trade too high on this list at #2? The rest of the top-5 are:

1) The most infamous transaction in baseball history
3) Inner circle Hall of Famer and franchise icon (though past his peak)
4) Inner circle Hall of Famer before his peak
5) Inner circle Hall of Famer before his peak

Actually #3 is too high as well imo

https://twitter.com/nickgroke/status/1329825469642932224

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

bawfuls posted:

Is it just me or is the Stanton trade too high on this list at #2? The rest of the top-5 are:

Paywalled.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

bawfuls posted:

I don't have a sub so ... what are these trades exactly? (And since it's one per team I'm sad that the Bagwell trade won't be listed since obviously the Babe Ruth trade is worse and probably #1)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

No Safe Word posted:

I don't have a sub so ... what are these trades exactly? (And since it's one per team I'm sad that the Bagwell trade won't be listed since obviously the Babe Ruth trade is worse and probably #1)

The Astros one is trading Joe Morgan.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
5. Dodgers: Pedro to the Expos
4. Nationals: Randy Johnson to the Mariners
3. Mets: Seaver to the Reds
2. Marlins: Stanton to Yankees
1. Red Sox: Ruth to Yankees

Yeah, the Stanton placement feels weird. Stanton is great and all, and the trade wasn't good, but...second?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

what I'm really saying is Pedro for Delino was second only to Ruth to New York in the bad trades pantheon

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

The Yelich trade was way worse, honestly. At least with Stanton they dumped a ton of money, and it's not as though Stanton continued his MVP level production after going to the Yankees. 4.3 bWAR, 0.4 bWAR, 0.4 bWAR his three seasons with them is... not great. Meanwhile Yelich was on an extremely team friendly deal, would go on to finish MVP-1 and MVP-2 in back-to-back years after the trade, and the big prospect they got back in return was Lewis Brinson, who's put up a career -3.3 bWAR so far and looks like a complete bust.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I have a sub but I don't want to scroll through to read "Brock for Broglio" again so I'm not going to

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

5. Dodgers: Pedro to the Expos
4. Nationals: Randy Johnson to the Mariners
3. Mets: Seaver to the Reds
2. Marlins: Stanton to Yankees
1. Red Sox: Ruth to Yankees

Yeah, the Stanton placement feels weird. Stanton is great and all, and the trade wasn't good, but...second?

These are weird....
One trade per team, but then they're ordered in worst trade order?

Mets trading Seaver when he was 32 doesn't even compare to trading Ryan at 24, none the less being the third worst of these trades.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think there is a difference there because Boston and Cleveland had been building the "uh, we can't pay for them we are poor and they want too much :(" narrative for years beforehand to lay the groundwork. Colorado already got the long term extension for Arenado and already are positioned to keep him his whole career. If he takes the opt out, it shifts the blame to Arenado in dumb narrative but trading him puts it all on ownership.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah trading Seaver at 32 was surely terrible PR but like... the guy is still remembered as a Met and wears a NY hat in the Hall of Fame. His best years were as a Met and he won a World Sereis there.

Meanwhile LA and Montreal are afterthoughts to Pedro and Randy respectively. Plus those two are both teams for whom keeping the pitcher in the bad trade might have been the difference in pushing them over the top.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I think you have to bundle the Stanton and Yelich and Ozuna, etc. trades together in the greater context of the Marlins tearing down what should have been a competitive team for iffy payroll-cutting purposes if you really want it to be #2 on that list.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I'm pretty sure the Miguel Cabrera trade is worse than any of those.

Not to mention trading Sheffield and stuff for Zeile and Piazza then trading Piazza a week later for a pile of gently caress all.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 20, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes I’m surprised that they didn’t mention the Cabrera trade

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

I think you have to bundle the Stanton and Yelich and Ozuna, etc. trades together in the greater context of the Marlins tearing down what should have been a competitive team for iffy payroll-cutting purposes if you really want it to be #2 on that list.

Stanton, Yelich, Ozuna, Realmuto all on one team. That's enough of a core to build a contender around even with a poo poo payroll.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sydin posted:

Stanton, Yelich, Ozuna, Realmuto all on one team. That's enough of a core to build a contender around even with a poo poo payroll.

I think Dee Gordon was on that team as well. Marlins had an All-Star lineup they blewup

Just don't look at the pitching

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dee Gordon had one good season in Miami, when he won the batting title. And it turned out he was taking steroids.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

bawfuls posted:

Dee Gordon had one good season in Miami, when he won the batting title. And it turned out he was taking steroids.

How do steroids help your batting average

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

My hot take is that the Marlins did pretty well overall when they tore it down. They got out of some bad contracts (Stanton, Gordon) and brought in a lot of talent including 3/5 of their current rotation.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Stanton being the 2nd worst trade of all time is hilariously stupid. They dumped a really bad contract.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

elentar posted:

How do steroids help your batting average
They help with basically all athletic pursuits

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Does this mean anything?

https://twitter.com/jonheyman/status/1329875525557477381?s=21

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

LOL Michael Kay is on the MLB network saying the Yankees should try to turn Chapman into a starter and i'm 100% here for it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Rumors are the Nationals are interested in Kris Bryant. Kind of makes sense since they should be all-in and really need a 3B. Bryant was real bad last year but I still don't know how much stock should be put into that weird shortened season. Seems like the names in a return would be Robles and/or Kieboom.

I love KB and it would be really sad to see him go. If it's true what the Cubs offered over a year ago, Boras is an imbecile for not taking it. Then again, Boras hasn't exactly been in tune with what's happening lately.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

quote:

Joan Kroc, wife of Padres owner Ray Kroc, said if (Ozzie) Smith needed the extra money, she’d be glad to hire him as a gardener at her mansion for $4.50 an hour.

Oooooof

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Spring Break My Heart posted:

They help with basically all athletic pursuits

Goons dismissing steroids ability to help a baseball player because there isn't any way to quantify them statistically is such a classic poo poo take. Just because no one can outright say "they double your hr/fb%" or "they had an extra 5% to your exit velocity" doesn't mean that being able to recover from the strain of a long season with batting practice, weight lifting etc thrown in doesn't help. Imagine a player being too sore or tired to take extra swings in the cage or extra reps fielding ground balls or extra throws between starts keeping a good feel on their offspeed. Theres a finite amount of energy a guy might have to practice between games.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Jeff Wilpon pet project Tim Tebow will rule 5 eligible!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

make steroids mandatory

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Farewell buddy

https://twitter.com/mellamotrevor/status/1329959769700847617?s=21

He’s had two very bad years in a row, somewhat injury related I suspect and somewhat just due to the limitations of his stuff & velocity. DFA announced today so he will be elsewhere

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Yelich can't be a top 5 bad trade now that he sucks poo poo ever since Yu called out his cheating rear end

gently caress Yelich

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Good Dog posted:

Goons dismissing steroids ability to help a baseball player because there isn't any way to quantify them statistically is such a classic poo poo take.

I am genuinely not trying to be a bitch about this, I understand full well that steroids extend careers and preserve velocity etc. and that turning a blind eye to them would make them basically mandatory for everyone, with all the consequences that entails. I just don’t get how steroids would help you BABIP .383, and it send like if you’re doing that at age 27 rather than 37 then it’s a legit part of your locker regardless, and it seems like an odd point to throw out the stats for an eye test.

I mean, whatever, batting titles are basically noise anyway, right?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i love bryant. he deserves better than the cubs. hopefully he goes somewhere and prospers.

why couldn't they have treated him like rizzo? rizzo's basically a golden god, and fully deserving of that status. he can do whatever. but bryant was always...not, but deserved it. he was just never fully accepted for some reason.

it's a real shame.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Pirates infield gonna look really nice with Bell at first, Bryant at second, Oneil Cruz at short, and Ke'Bryan Hayes at third

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

KB is going to be back to MVP status as soon as he leaves this cursed team.