Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Please stop making predator and terminator films

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That's good, because I enjoyed 10 Cloverfield Lane hugely, and I would dearly love a post-Predator 2 film in the series to not be poo poo.

The 2018 Predator was an incredible spectacle of bollocks and pretending it doesn't exist is the first step to the new one maybe not being execrable.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FlamingLiberal posted:

The director of 10 Cloverfield Lane is going to direct yet another Predator movie, which will not have anything to do with the 2018 movie.

https://www.ign.com/articles/new-predator-movie-in-the-works-with-10-cloverfield-lane-director

You say “yet another” like there shouldn’t be more predator movies.

There should always be more predator movies.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
There was a new Predator movie just two years ago? Jesus. I must have completely obliterated all memory of it ever even being mentioned, never mind anything more. Although now I think about it, didn't it have something to do with an autistic kid, which is obviously the first concept that springs to mind when someone says "Hey, let's make another Predator movie!"

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

CelticPredator posted:

All 80s franchises need to die.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CelticPredator posted:

I'll stop saying it when they make a good one again

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Payndz posted:

There was a new Predator movie just two years ago? Jesus. I must have completely obliterated all memory of it ever even being mentioned, never mind anything more. Although now I think about it, didn't it have something to do with an autistic kid, which is obviously the first concept that springs to mind when someone says "Hey, let's make another Predator movie!"

Wasn't that the one where they came to hunt an autistic kid?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Payndz posted:

It is by far the single worst film in the entire franchise. It is unforgivably dumb.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's another one of those franchises where it seems like it should be easy to come up with cool sequel ideas but apparently not.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

IShallRiseAgain posted:

All 80s franchises need to die.

Right! We just need more modern movies to go the 80s franchise route. Why don't we have 5 increasingly campy VVitch movies right now? Why isn't It Follows on it's weird goofy 5th meta entry about the making of It Follows? Where is my low-rent Canadian TV version of The Babadook that actually has nothing to do with The Babadook? Get on it, Hollywood!!

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Predator 2018 has a character death edited in in post and that's all that's really needs to be said about that.

10 Cloverfield Lane ruled and Trachtenberg's episode of The Boys look real good, so this is a big plus.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

That's good, because I enjoyed 10 Cloverfield Lane hugely, and I would dearly love a post-Predator 2 film in the series to not be poo poo.

The 2018 Predator was an incredible spectacle of bollocks and pretending it doesn't exist is the first step to the new one maybe not being execrable.

I’ll believe in a good new predator movie when I see it. I remember thinking Shane Black helming a predator movie would be a slam dunk and...uh, we all saw how that turned out.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's another one of those franchises where it seems like it should be easy to come up with cool sequel ideas but apparently not.

I think it's because the franchise is too invested in the mythology of the predators themselves, whereas, what worked about the original is that it's essentially two films. for the first...30 minutes or so, it's a pretty straightforward action film that hints at lots of conspiracies. There's clear dynamics between the team. Then, the Predator shows up and it becomes a horror film. The rules of an action film stop applying. Each of the commandos after the first dies in a way that should be impossible in an action film. Jessie Ventura has the best gun and is Jesse Ventura, so he shouldn't die. Certainly not first via one shot. Bill Duke is avenging his friend, Carl Weathers is seeking redemption, Sonny Landham strips off all his weapons and faces him one on one. He doesn't even get to die on screen. The ultimate thrill of the film isn't the predator itself (though it's amazing creation of both design and performance) it's the intersection of two genres. None of the sequels bar Predator 2 have understood that.

You could do a modern one, absolutely. Basically, you remake the first thirty minutes of Lone Survivor, then have the predator show up.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

I’ll believe in a good new predator movie when I see it. I remember thinking Shane Black helming a predator movie would be a slam dunk and...uh, we all saw how that turned out.

The original script is a bit better but it still has a ton of issues.

Idk. Fred Dekker might just bring out the worst in Black. I don’t like Monster Squad much.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Payndz posted:

It was the one where they declare that Predators were hunting down stuff to advance their species, which means they want an autistic kid. Also Shane Black cast his sex offender friend as a creep who hits on Olivia Munn.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Snowman_McK posted:

You could do a modern one, absolutely. Basically, you remake the first thirty minutes of Lone Survivor, then have the predator show up.

That'd sorta just be doing the original over again, though. Ideally a good sequel expands the formula a bit.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

That'd sorta just be doing the original over again, though. Ideally a good sequel expands the formula a bit.

It is, but it's imitating the parts of the original that work. The original is an 80s action film that becomes an 80s horror film. My version would be a 2020s war film that becomes a 2020s horror film. Make it according to the film making trends of now instead of trying to recapture the 80sness of the original, which no one can do because it's not the 80s anymore

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sequels should be illegal unless they were planned out and scripted from before the release of the first installment. I could count every good unplanned sequel ever made on one hand

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The Klowner posted:

Sequels should be illegal unless they were planned out and scripted from before the release of the first installment. I could count every good unplanned sequel ever made on one hand

also this. The only way to go with predator is a 'reimagining' or something, updating the formula or rerunning it under different circumstances. It doesn't lend itself to any ongoing saga, but watching a new batch of action heroes of the age getting diced up every ten years or so would be dope.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Make this one MEW vs. a predator.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Disney hiring a smaller directer to helm their soft reboot of an ancient big budget franchise? Sign me up, what could go wrong?

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snowman_McK posted:

also this. The only way to go with predator is a 'reimagining' or something, updating the formula or rerunning it under different circumstances. It doesn't lend itself to any ongoing saga, but watching a new batch of action heroes of the age getting diced up every ten years or so would be dope.

Or maybe just bury everyone ever associated with the predator sequels in an abandoned barren plain in nevada and give John mctiernan and John Thomas $100 million to make an entirely new ip

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It is by far the single worst film in the entire franchise. It is unforgivably dumb.

I watched it on an airplane and I enjoyed it well enough.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Wild hogs reimagined with predators

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Predator 1 was a military "rescue" film (ala Rambo 2, Missing in Action) which dropped a Predator into it.
Predator 2 was a cops vs drug dealers film, which dropped a Predator into it.

For this film they need to find another action formula to disrupt with the arrival of a Predator. Maybe something along the lines of Die Hard?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Davros1 posted:

Predator 1 was a military "rescue" film (ala Rambo 2, Missing in Action) which dropped a Predator into it.

For this film they need to find another action formula to disrupt with the arrival of a Predator. Maybe something along the lines of Die Hard?

Aliens vs Predators vs John Wick

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
10 Cloverfield Lane was nothing special but gently caress JJ Abrams the hack and the gimmick to use Cloverfield like a brand to sell lovely movies.

Make a Predator movie as good as the Aliens vs Predator arcade side scrolling beat em game. After Predator 1 and 2, that's the best one.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Saving Private Ryan From A Predator

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Joe vs The Volcano vs Predator

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Hobbs & Shaw & Predator

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

The Klowner posted:

It's really amazing how good Fury Road was, though. That's also a (sort-of) 80s franchise, too. I think that movie succeeded because it had strong creative direction from the top, whereas I bet a lot of these other sequels are just studios saying "hey, we should bring this franchise back!"

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Furiosa vs. Predator

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Predator kidnaps Liam Neeson's daughter so Liam calls in help from Denzel Washington to take him out.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
My Dinner With Andre and a Predator

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The Shape of Predator

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's A Predator, Predator, Predator, Predator World

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Davros1 posted:

They already have it just isn't called Predator and looks like it's going to own:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A6EezjgsxU

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Charlie Schafer's looking for his soulmate, but has terrible luck with dating. His penchant for activities introduced to him by his loving father-- conspiracy theories, close-quarters combat, and covering himself in mud-- seem to repel everyone he's interested in!

That is, until he starts talking to Anna, a fun and energetic person who seems to be the one who will tolerate Charlie's hobbies! The two converse online and share their stories, laughing and learning from one another about how wonderful and interesting life truly can be. Charlie finally asks to meet up and to his surprise Anna agrees!

However, upon his arrival, Charlie is shocked to learn that Anna is not who she claimed to be...

...Next summer, Josh Hutcherson is... The Pre-Dater!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want to see a Predator movie where the Predator is the hero and it flips it to where the human is the one hunting the Predator.

Minimal dialog. Mostly hangs around the Predator.

That’d be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Mean Predators