Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Murgos posted:

What are the actual good hotels with per diem rates that the cool people use?

I was always been partial to Embassy Suites with bars so I could drink for free at happy hour and forget about how I was trading happiness at home for a few grand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Murgos posted:

Space Force is a dumb name but the concept is good. There are 20 some odd government agencies that put things into space and many more consume those products. Formalizing that system so that every gets their needs met and consolidates goals and requirements is probably a good thing. Also, so that everyone else knows who to talk to about negotiating whatever needs to be negotiated is probably also good.

Also:

Once COVID lifts I might be in Huntsville several times a year for the next two or three years.

What should I be making sure is on my list of things to hit?

Space Museum? Any specifically good restaurants I need to keep an eye out for?

Hyatt has been OK. Four Seasons was great, in my travels - best one was in Guangzhou on like the 96th floor of a skyscraper.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

In an attempt to be overly pedantic, I want to point out that those big airfields are known in civilian circles as airports. Air. Ports. That's what Port Authorities do, as well. Albuquerque, Colorado Springs, or San Antonio wouldn't be too bad. Redstone is in the least worst part of Alabama. Nebraska and Florida would both be hellscapes, though.

Patrick is next to the Space Coast, south east of Orlando. It's gorgeous around there.

Patrick and Petersen make sense. Offutt does from an infrastructure sense, but it means being a tenant unit because there's no chance that base changes branches.

Edit:
Space Force and US Space Command are not equivalent. One is one of the Armed Forces of the United States, the other is a Unified Combatant Command. The former consist entirely of the Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, Navy, and now Space Force. Examples of the latter are Strategic Command (USSTRATCOM), Central Command (CENTCOM), Special Operations Command (SOCOM), Cyber Command (USCYBERCOM), and European Command (EUCOM). What people typically think of with the peacetime military is the Joint Chiefs running the individual services. That is basically the training and maintenance side of things...the housekeeping. Running the budgets, training the new people, keeping the old people current on training, developing and buying the hardware; they keep the machine intact and hand over the people and equipment to the UCCs as needed. The UCCs (also called COCOMs) are the operational elements, organized geographically or around a technical specialty that's so unique it needs to be managed by an insular community. From 1985-2002 USSPACECOM was one of those. Then 9/11 happened and we decided we needed a COCOM that focused on North America, and for some reason we had a 10 COCOM limit (I don't know if this was statutory or just procedural). So SPACECOM went away and NORTHCOM was created. USAF Space Command assumed most of USSPACECOM's former duties, since it was already doing most of them as a matter of course.

The only reason to make our military space organization a separate branch is to say that it's training, operational, and budgetary needs are sufficiently unique that it needs to be split from the other services. Personally I think that's bullshit, and it's just a way to generate additional bloat and budgetary needs. Bringing back USSPACECOM as the 11th COCOM was a good solution. Space Force isn't, although using blue trim on OCP uniforms is a good middle finger to the AF and almost makes me approve of its existence.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 21, 2020

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

CarForumPoster posted:

I was always been partial to Embassy Suites with bars so I could drink for free at happy hour and forget about how I was trading happiness at home for a few grand.

Hell yeah I have stayed at embassy suites around SF a couple times and that is the bomb.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

When I had a traveling job, my company used LaQuinta.

:stare:

The one I stayed at in LA was nice. I was their highest level member once I got fifty overnights and got bumped up to the suites.

The one in San Antonio had a hole behind my headboard with the wall stained a rust color. Turned out there had been a murder there two weeks before!

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
There are no air forces in space, but there can be Air Forces in Space. We don't need another branch of government to deal with those threats, just more propellant:

zoux posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/chadgarland/status/1329844292404342786

So they just slap another set of landing gears on that and it's ready to go huh

WTF kind of gun misfire do you have that results in not being able to land? Out of battery discharge on a rotary cannon?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Warbadger posted:

Hyatt has been OK. Four Seasons was great, in my travels - best one was in Guangzhou on like the 96th floor of a skyscraper.

Just don’t try to hold a press conference there.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Styles Bitchley posted:

WTF kind of gun misfire do you have that results in not being able to land? Out of battery discharge on a rotary cannon?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gryazev-Shipunov_GSh-6-30

quote:

The gun was noted for its high (often uncomfortable) vibration and extreme noise. The airframe vibration led to fatigue cracks in fuel tanks, numerous radio and avionics failures, the necessity of using runways with floodlights for night flights (as the landing lights would often be destroyed), tearing or jamming of the forward landing gear doors (leading to at least three crash landings), cracking of the reflector gunsight, an accidental jettisoning of the cockpit canopy and at least one case of the instrument panel falling off in flight. The weapons also dealt extensive collateral damage, as the sheer numbers of fragments from detonating shells was sufficient to damage aircraft flying within a 200-meter radius from the impact center, including the aircraft firing.[5]

(this is what happens when you take a gun that's equivalent to the GAU-8 but don't design the whole airplane around it)

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Just don’t try to hold a press conference there.

It was trippy because you couldn't see the ground at night in the smog. But the neon billboards gave it a distinct Bladerunner look.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gryazev-Shipunov_GSh-6-30

(this is what happens when you take a gun that's equivalent to the GAU-8 but don't design the whole airplane around it)

I am kinda curious though because he had his air breaks deployed so had some hydraulics at least.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I will be surprised if the Space Force still exists a year from now.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Murgos posted:

Space Force is a dumb name but the concept is good. There are 20 some odd government agencies that put things into space and many more consume those products. Formalizing that system so that every gets their needs met and consolidates goals and requirements is probably a good thing. Also, so that everyone else knows who to talk to about negotiating whatever needs to be negotiated is probably also good.

Also:

Once COVID lifts I might be in Huntsville several times a year for the next two or three years.

I have yet to be disappointed by a Hilton Garden Inn

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I kind of assumed he was looking specifically for a hotel recommendation in Huntsville :v:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FuturePastNow posted:

I won’t be because no one in Congress is going to die on that hill to kill it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Murgos posted:

When I was planning a trip to the Space Museum I was going to stay at the Hyatt Place. It's about a mile away from it and it's only been open about a year now, most of that during COVID times so I can't imagine it's been gunked up too badly.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Styles Bitchley posted:

Maybe this is one of those incidents where they wind up accidentally flying into their own gun rounds? It's real rare but it happens.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

FuturePastNow posted:

Nah, Congress went along with it, Space Force is codified in Title 10.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PittTheElder posted:

Maybe this is one of those incidents where they wind up accidentally flying into their own gun rounds? It's real rare but it happens.

I don't think the A-10 is fast enough to pull that one off. :v:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/thetomzone/status/1329837708970221569?s=21

I was probably too young when I saw that film!

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

PittTheElder posted:

I'd put money it was ammo related, either something like a case separation or squib. The breech is right under the cockpit and near the front gear so probably clustered up that whole area.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Styles Bitchley posted:

I'd put money it was ammo related, either something like a case separation or squib. The breech is right under the cockpit and near the front gear so probably clustered up that whole area.

Even if nothing actually came apart, just the overpressure from the an out-of-battery would probably be more than enough to pop the canopy off.

I bet that made a noise. :aaaaa:

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Nebakenezzer posted:

I don't know where the base in Florida would be, but I'd really consult an "expected sea rise" map first. Also for Texas, depending.

There we have it. Florida is the best solution because buildings will be condemned and you'll be able to destroy them when they're old and bad and have built new ones.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Murgos posted:

Also:

I stayed at this hotel in huntsville:

Hampton Inn Madison Huntsville Airport
https://maps.app.goo.gl/X12dNvgACQR2vdv49

Hands down the best breakfast I've ever had at a hotel (included biscuits and gravy). It was basically a full restaurant included with your room rental. Pool was clean and warm (I swam every night) and the front desk had fresh chocolate chip cookies constantly on hand. Can't speak for the locations convenience for where you'd be working but I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Uncle Enzo posted:

I stayed at this hotel in huntsville:

Hands down the best breakfast I've ever had at a hotel (included biscuits and gravy). It was basically a full restaurant included with your room rental. Pool was clean and warm (I swam every night) and the front desk had fresh chocolate chip cookies constantly on hand. Can't speak for the locations convenience for where you'd be working but I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

Man, I'd love to help out here but I haven't been back to Huntsville in twelve years and all the decent hotels have been rebuilt.

The old Marriot (?) on the edge of downtown by the Greyhound station was cool as hell. Huge foyer/bar/restaurant up front. Leather smoking chairs, a truly impressive oak bar, and 24 hour sammiches.

Huntsville can be very nice. The cheap living is good if you can make out-of-town money. I never did and never paid more than $410/month for a two bedroom, even in Five Points. Not much to do there except drink or otherwise get hosed up. You will find a whole bunch of people to get hosed up with. It's an easy place to make friends. Find some outside poo poo to do, is my recommendation. There's organized shooting sports, hiking up our little mountain (join the Monte Sano Preservation Society, $10 gets you an account at Redstone Federal), going out to the river in Morgan City/Lacey Springs, boating on Lake Guntersville, all that requires friends to make it fun.

I hope to move back at some point if I can make enough money to do more than just survive. Florida is starting to wear on me.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
In Huntsville I stayed at the Fairfield Inn by Marriott, it was fine and pretty close to a tech park where I was workin’

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I think I stayed at the comfort suites, it was, well, the same as any other comfort suites, but not at all bad. Last time I was there was when the eclipse went through Nashville.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

shame on an IGA posted:

I have yet to be disappointed by a Hilton Garden Inn

An unnamed air force Lt found what must have been the only Hilton without in-room fridges as our detachment found out when we showed up to DM. No way to store fresh food + extended night flying schedule suuuuuuuuuuucks.

Marriott chain is my BFF, the suites are nice for extended stays but I haven't had a bad experience in any of their hotels. Stayed at the huntsville Courtyard last year and it was dope.

:same:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Murgos posted:

If you’re going to be working at Redstone I’d say pick one close to whatever gate you’re going through in the morning. In my case that was either the Garden Inn or the Hampton Inn. Garden Inn is nicer but let’s be honest they’re work hotels and they’re a place to sleep so it doesn’t make a lot of difference.

There was a good, but odd, beer bar called The Nook. I say odd because it had the weirdest lack of ambience. Great beer list, good food, fun crowd, but bright fluorescent lighting and drop acoustic-tile ceiling. I spent a lot of time there. Hopefully the rona hasn’t hosed it.

I also wound up at a very good restaurant downtown, but I don’t remember the name. It might have been Cotton Row but I’m not sure.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Phanatic posted:

If you’re going to be working at Redstone I’d say pick one close to whatever gate you’re going through in the morning. In my case that was either the Garden Inn or the Hampton Inn. Garden Inn is nicer but let’s be honest they’re work hotels and they’re a place to sleep so it doesn’t make a lot of difference.

There was a good, but odd, beer bar called The Nook. I say odd because it had the weirdest lack of ambience. Great beer list, good food, fun crowd, but bright fluorescent lighting and drop acoustic-tile ceiling. I spent a lot of time there. Hopefully the rona hasn’t hosed it.

I also wound up at a very good restaurant downtown, but I don’t remember the name. It might have been Cotton Row but I’m not sure.

We have an office a bout a half mile in straight shot out the Gate 9 road, I have never been there. I expect that most days I am there we will meet early at our office, plan the day and then either go onto Redstone or head out to some of the other supporting aerospace corps. Does traffic back way up getting in and out the gate during the high throughput times such that I should plan extra time?

Uncle Enzo posted:

Sounds pretty good. I haven't had a good biscuit and gravy in a long time.

madeintaipei posted:

Man, I'd love to help out here but I haven't been back to Huntsville in twelve years and all the decent hotels have been rebuilt.

The old Marriot (?) on the edge of downtown by the Greyhound station was cool as hell. Huge foyer/bar/restaurant up front. Leather smoking chairs, a truly impressive oak bar, and 24 hour sammiches.

Huntsville can be very nice. The cheap living is good if you can make out-of-town money.

I've been offered to move to Huntsville to support this program, either for a year at a time or permanently but I don't want to pull my kids from their friends and school and my wife's career wouldn't easily transfer. Anyway, our main office is in MA so, most of the work is here and long term it's where I want to be. I could probably do the monday/friday commute flight thing and 'work' in Huntsville but, eh.

The PM of this program moved down to Huntsville more than a decade ago and he constantly talks up the massive mansion he lives in because housing prices are so cheap there compared to metro Boston.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 22, 2020

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sagebrush posted:

Planes do have jack points

When you don't use them people definitely yell at you because you just punched a hole in the skin because it is 1/16" aluminum

They don't really rust out because planes are made of aluminum (which does corrode, but not in the same way)

Usually you will not jack the plane up directly on its skin, but using a specially shaped jack pad that fits the jack point exactly.

1/16"? Try .040" or .032". A normal internet-based human can put a screwdriver through the pressure vessel of pretty much any metal-skinned airplane out there.

The jack pads come in two major flavors: actual pads that come with the airplane and are part of the structure, or hole locations where some auxiliary equipment is mounted that the jack bears against. In either case, they're located on wing spars, at the joins of major frame ribs, or something. If anyone wants to know more, head over to one of the airplane threads and ask incredibly detailed questions to your heart's content.

Godholio posted:

Patrick is next to the Space Coast, south east of Orlando. It's gorgeous around there.

Florida is a terrible hellscape, and there's not enough land high enough to be called a hill for me to die on one about this.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Florida is a terrible hellscape, and there's not enough land high enough to be called a hill for me to die on one about this.

Florida has its bad parts but...the environment is a hellscape pretty much only makes sense if you’re a vampire. Are you a vampire? Perhaps some sort of hill dwelling cave creature? Is that the emphasis on hills...Baby. Eating. Psychopath?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Florida is way too humid.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You're talking to someone in Nevada, so :lol: at calling beaches, green growing things, and water a hellscape.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

You're talking to someone in Nevada, so :lol: at calling beaches, green growing things, and water a hellscape.

Yeah. It's humid and flat, but it has birds, sea life, flowers, etc.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah. It's humid and flat, but it has birds, sea life, flowers, etc.

Alligators, giant cockroaches, Floridaman...

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Alligators are good though.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

mlmp08 posted:

Alligators are good though.

As cool as worrying about waking up to a prehistoric giant lizard in my backyard would be, no thank you.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

PeterCat posted:

Alligators, giant cockroaches, Floridaman...

Ants, lovebugs, ants, waterbugs, tiny little spiky spiders, and a few more ants for good measure.
No centipedes though. Ants must have ate them all.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The jack pads come in two major flavors: actual pads that come with the airplane and are part of the structure, or hole locations where some auxiliary equipment is mounted that the jack bears against. In either case, they're located on wing spars, at the joins of major frame ribs, or something. If anyone wants to know more, head over to one of the airplane threads and ask incredibly detailed questions to your heart's content.

I was once preflighting a plane and noticed something weird that I hadn't seen before on the landing gear strut. I poked at it a bit and it fell off, apparently just being friction-fitted in place. It looked like this:

Made of welded 1/4" steel plate, quite a few pointy edges, weighed probably 6-8 pounds. I took it inside and it turned out to be a jack pad, as suggested by the picture. The plane had recently been maintained and the mx guys forgot to take it off I guess. Good thing I didn't fly with it attached! Being only held on by friction, it could easily have fallen off in flight, and it probably would have gone through someone's roof/car/skull like a meteor.

Then I realized that I wasn't the first person to fly the plane after maintenance. It had just come back from another flight, and apparently the previous pilot hadn't noticed this huge extra chunk of metal stuck to the landing gear as they did multiple laps in the pattern over a residential neighborhood :whitewater:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Godholio posted:

Yeah but Nevada has hills and caves, though?