Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I loved the episode but for some reason I liked it too much if that makes any sense. Everything about about it seemed like it was a big season finale. Getting the gang back together, Assaulting the enemy doom fortress, escaping explosion of enemy doom fortress, higher than average SFX budget, stinger of next seasons threat, triumphant return of beloved wrecked hero ship. Almost like this was the season finale but they shuffled around the broadcast order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Really enjoyed the episode agreed that it sucks hearing an actor sucks in real life. It makes me happy macaroons existed a long time ago in a galaxy far far away

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Pops Mgee posted:

What if we get the botched clone that ends up being Rey’s dad...

Michael Biehn will actually be playing Sheev's son, Jeff Palpatine

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Michael Biehn will actually be playing Sheev's son, Jeff Palpatine

He's actually Bleem Palpatine, and he was kicked out of the proto-First Order for illegally emulating Playstation games.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

General Dog posted:

Re: Gina Carano, not everyone in the entertainment we watch has to see the world the same way we do. You can enjoy the character without endorsing the actor as a human being.

That's how I got through "Justified." Nick Searcy was a dyed-in-the-wool freeper rear end in a top hat before 70+ million people decided to join him. He was a never-Trumper, oddly enough.

Doesn't diminish the fact that he played his part wonderfully.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm not sure how I feel about X-Wing pilots just being cops now. Also dear god that scene between Cara and the X-Wing guy, gently caress me show you clearly know how to find good actors, why would you give such an extended dialogue scene to two people who cannot act at all.

Also it's kinda dumb that the Razor Crest can 1v3 Ties in a dogfight given it's supposed to be a rickety pre-war rust bucket, but I'll overlook it because it was actually sweet as hell to see Din win the aerial combat because he knows how to properly energy fight.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sydin posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about X-Wing pilots just being cops now. Also dear god that scene between Cara and the X-Wing guy, gently caress me show you clearly know how to find good actors, why would you give such an extended dialogue scene to two people who cannot act at all.

Paul Lee can act. :(

But yes that scene was baaaaaaaaad.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
It was really off-putting to have our hero and Carl Weathers share a joke about the fish guy being enslaved for hundreds of years.

How old would Ahsoka be at this point? Mid to late 40s?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Tie Fighters are not good in atmospheric flight. This has been a thing for a while in star wars. They're built for vacuum and every attempt in the EU to make them atmospheric has been a failure for the Empire because the dimensions do not hold up at all as an airframe.

As for the X Wing pilots being cops, I think its part of an effort to show how the New Republic is failing to capitalize on the success of the rebel alliance and the alienating effect it has on the outer rim colonies. Nobody gives a poo poo about the outer rim and the New Republic has its hands full pacifying the Mid Rim and the Core Worlds. Theyre trying to rebuild a Republic that fell because of corruption at the highest level. Why the hell would the outer rim planets side with them when the Old Republic also abandoned them to the mercy of the Mandalorian crusades, the Sith Wars, the Confederacy and the Empire?

The outer rim has never been the prize and the best the NR can do is send a couple of fighter patrols out while rogue Imperial elements continue to harass planets years after they were allegedly beaten at Jakku? It's no wonder they come off like lovely beat cops. They're not there to protect the Outer Rim, they're just the law enforcement extension of the same old out of touch centralized government that occasionally rolls through an impoverished rural area looking for "troublemakers."

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Tie fighters are good in atmospheric flight if you dont try to fly them like you're in a vacuum, do lots of rolling and pitching, avoid yaw at all costs. They're more aerodynamic than an x-wing in atmosphere.

Kyle Katarn doesn't exist in disney canon he can be whatever age they want him to be, that said cast old school fmv kyle katarn as kyle's father and bring in a younger actor as kyle. Best of both worlds.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Open Source Idiom posted:

Paul Lee can act. :(

But yes that scene was baaaaaaaaad.

I flipped through his IMDB and I haven't seen anything else he's been in, so I'll take your word for it and just chalk it up to bad direction or something. Because his line delivery was... really bad.

It's a shame too because I think the hook that scene set up is pretty compelling for Cara's character, ignoring the poo poo with her actress. She's a career Rebel soldier who gave everything for the cause, and then drifted off the grid once the Rebellion transitioned into the New Republic because she was only in it to punch emps vs any genuine political revolution. But then here comes along another ex-Rebellion fighter who took the opposite path and goes "look, there's poo poo brewing and if we're going to stop it we need people like you who recognize that and can fight it." And now she's torn between continuing to enjoy the niche she's carved out for herself in life, or throwing herself back into the fight she knows needs to be fought even if it means aligning with a cause she doesn't really believe in.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Tie Fighters are not good in atmospheric flight. This has been a thing for a while in star wars. They're built for vacuum and every attempt in the EU to make them atmospheric has been a failure for the Empire because the dimensions do not hold up at all as an airframe.

Also like I said even if Din's ship really isn't supposed to win that engagement he played it perfectly. Came in behind the formation and took one out by surprise. Then followed another one in a climb which he won because his ship is heavier and has more climbing ability, then spun around and did a nose-to-nose with an energy/height advantage. Somebody who really appreciates WW2 dogfight tactics storyboarded that whole sequence and I love it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

As for the X Wing pilots being cops, I think its part of an effort to show how the New Republic is failing to capitalize on the success of the rebel alliance and the alienating effect it has on the outer rim colonies. Nobody gives a poo poo about the outer rim and the New Republic has its hands full pacifying the Mid Rim and the Core Worlds. Theyre trying to rebuild a Republic that fell because of corruption at the highest level. Why the hell would the outer rim planets side with them when the Old Republic also abandoned them to the mercy of the Mandalorian crusades, the Sith Wars, the Confederacy and the Empire?

The outer rim has never been the prize and the best the NR can do is send a couple of fighter patrols out while rogue Imperial elements continue to harass planets years after they were allegedly beaten at Jakku? It's no wonder they come off like lovely beat cops. They're not there to protect the Outer Rim, they're just the law enforcement extension of the same old out of touch centralized government that occasionally rolls through an impoverished rural area looking for "troublemakers."

Yeah, that's one of the most depressing things about this show. We already know poo poo is going to get *bad*. With Rogue One, at least we knew that we were watching the origin to the three *decent* movies. Now we're just watching the origin timeline leading into Eps 7-9. We're getting a front row seat to watch the New Republic gently caress everything up because they clearly never had a plan to emulate the Empire's level of control and logistics.

Hell, the message to be learned from Ep9 from the last scene is that Rey's learned *loving nothing* and chooses to carry on the Skywalker name rather than be herself.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

It was really off-putting to have our hero and Carl Weathers share a joke about the fish guy being enslaved for hundreds of years.

Ahem, indentured servant.

Mid 40s seems reasonable for being teenish during the clone wars

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Another thing that surprised me about this episode is how hard it leaned into bringing back S1 characters. I figured with the semi-episodic nature of the show that we really weren't going to see anybody from S1, and even after I heard we'd be getting a Cara and Greef cameo I didn't think we'd see fish guy again of all people, certainly not in a main role for an entire episode. Presumably this show is going to keep going as long as Disney thinks they can milk it, so if they keep doing this season to season the cast is really going to pile up fast.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Arcsquad12 posted:

That whole scene seemed to me almost like an attempt to retroactively justify how pathetic the New Republic/Resistance was in the Sequels. Of course they lost control of the Galaxy in less than a day when they abandoned their Outer Rim roots to cozy up to Imperial Core-Worlders. Of course I'm filling in some blanks here with dubiously canon EU knowledge but it fits.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Spookydonut posted:

Tie fighters are good in atmospheric flight if you dont try to fly them like you're in a vacuum, do lots of rolling and pitching, avoid yaw at all costs. They're more aerodynamic than an x-wing in atmosphere.

The trouble is that since Ties are vacuum fighters pilots aren't trained to fly them in atmosphere. The reverse is also true. It was a plot point in one of the Stackpole X-Wing books that pilots trained for vacuum were wiping the floor with pilots who had only done atmospheric stick training.

The Tie is an extremely dangerous ship in the hands of a skilled pilot but it needs to be in the right environment with the right person in the cockpit for the given situation. I can totally believe Mando chumped them with his souped up ride. Even though these ties seem adapted for planetary ops I doubt that the Imperial remnant still has proper flight training on Carida willing to train pilots for a hundred splinter factions.

Mr Kim the X Wing pilot does seem to care about the outer rim but he's a community outreach officer. Make a gesture of helping out but really doing nothing that isn't authorized by his superiors.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Nov 21, 2020

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Internet says time between Episode 3 and Episode 6 is 22 years. Ahsoka was 17 at the end of Clone Wars. Mando takes place 5 years after ROTJ.

So 44.

Rosario Dawson is 41.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The internet also says Vader was 45 when he died. Dude looked like 60-something Donald Pleasance with his helmet off. The Dark Side really makes it’s practitioners age like poo poo.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I am looking forward to the best canon example of a "gray" Jedi, since Ep8&9 Luke didn't quite nail it.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gonz posted:

The internet also says Vader was 45 when he died. Dude looked like 60-something Donald Pleasance with his helmet off. The Dark Side really makes it’s practitioners age like poo poo.

getting burned alive in a volcano prob helped too

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Kanine posted:

getting burned alive in a volcano prob helped too

That too!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I am looking forward to the best canon example of a "gray" Jedi, since Ep8&9 Luke didn't quite nail it.

Well, if Freddie Prinze Jr. is to be believed, George Lucas told him there’s no such thing as a Gray Jedi.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, that's one of the most depressing things about this show. We already know poo poo is going to get *bad*. With Rogue One, at least we knew that we were watching the origin to the three *decent* movies. Now we're just watching the origin timeline leading into Eps 7-9. We're getting a front row seat to watch the New Republic gently caress everything up because they clearly never had a plan to emulate the Empire's level of control and logistics.

The Empire - as evil as the leadership and the vast majority of people working for it were - has almost always been shown to have had better government functionality than the New or Old Republic. This applies to both current and Legends canon - in each case the Republic is shown as being bloated, unable to stop squabbles and even armed conflict between their members. Half the Legends book has Leia trying to defuse the latest internal conflict and failing half the time.

Not that this is all great news - a lot of that 'effective governance' came from evil acts, draconian penalties, and despicable programs. That said, by the mid-late Legends universe Pellaeon's Empire had seen a large number of reforms was well on its way to become the better society to live in compared to the New Republic,

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Gonz posted:

Well, if Freddie Prinze Jr. is to be believed, George Lucas told him there’s no such thing as a Gray Jedi.

Good thing Lucas isn't the end-all-be-all canonical authority anymore, then? I mean, I know we're all kind of understandably :ohdear: about Disney having complete control over the IP, but this is one instance where I wish they'd break from the binary Light/Dark poo poo.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gonz posted:

Oh, they use the British spelling?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Dammit. You had me all excited until I found out I can't play it yet. Now you have me re-installing X-Wing alliance to scratch that itch.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Good thing Lucas isn't the end-all-be-all canonical authority anymore, then? I mean, I know we're all kind of understandably :ohdear: about Disney having complete control over the IP, but this is one instance where I wish they'd break from the binary Light/Dark poo poo.

True, but apparently Lucas explained it to Filoni and Filoni explained it that way to Prinze.

Tom Baker is FOREVER.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Erev posted:

The Empire - as evil as the leadership and the vast majority of people working for it were - has almost always been shown to have had better government functionality than the New or Old Republic. This applies to both current and Legends canon - in each case the Republic is shown as being bloated, unable to stop squabbles and even armed conflict between their members. Half the Legends book has Leia trying to defuse the latest internal conflict and failing half the time.

Not that this is all great news - a lot of that 'effective governance' came from evil acts, draconian penalties, and despicable programs. That said, by the mid-late Legends universe Pellaeon's Empire had seen a large number of reforms was well on its way to become the better society to live in compared to the New Republic,

At least the space trains ran on time!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Gray Jedi suck, I’m sorry. Within the context of Star Wars where one side is pure evil and the other is balance, Gray Jedi come off as entitled assholes. Yeah, the Jedi order itself sucks, but don’t try and give me this “actually both sides are equally bad” bullshit and insist the answer is somewhere in the middle.

Even the Bendu isn’t pure neutral, he clearly favors one side.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gonz posted:

Well, the good news is that Hayden Christensen is is now approaching an age where he can actually pull off In The Suit Vader/Post-Redemption Force Ghost Anakin in live action if they want to go for that long bomb. Which, honestly, I'm kind of interested in. One of the things I've always wanted to see was what Christensen could do as Ani and/or Vader without having to struggle under Lucas's lovely directing.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

Its Rinaldo posted:

At least the space trains ran on time!

I mean, there's some folks for whom that is more important than 'little' things like morality. There are very fitting unkind words for that sort of person too.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Gray Jedi suck, I’m sorry. Within the context of Star Wars where one side is pure evil and the other is balance, Gray Jedi come off as entitled assholes. Yeah, the Jedi order itself sucks, but don’t try and give me this “actually both sides are equally bad” bullshit and insist the answer is somewhere in the middle.

This is pretty spot on. Grey Jedi suck. The Jedi Order is pretty horrible (though I am curious to see how they will pan out in High Republic). But the light side is, relatively speaking, less destructive than the dark side.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Gonz posted:

Obi-Wan was 57, but looked old as poo poo too. And don't get me started on Yoda!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Obi-Wan had 19 years of twin sun exposure, sandblasting, and the constant stress of watching over a kid who may be the very last hope the Galaxy has.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If the Bendu is balance he'd always end up leaning toward the weaker side, which would be the light in time of Rebels

For all we know he was close personal friends with Darth Plagueis

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Obi-Wan had 19 years of twin sun exposure, sandblasting, and the constant stress of watching over a kid who may be the very last hope the Galaxy has.

And being racist against Tuskens :eng101:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

nine-gear crow posted:

And being racist against Tuskens :eng101:

That too, we know intense racism ages you like milk. Just ask Stephen Miller.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Given the Tuskens' contribution to Anakin's descent into the dark side it doesn't surprise me that Obi Wan holds a bit of a grudge against them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Davros1 posted:

Watching the Mando and Baby Yoda share a meal together, and the Mando lifting his helmet to drink ... do they not have straws in the Star Wars universe?

But then we wouldn't have had this image, which makes it all worth it.