Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Of course Doug would see Animaniacs mocking Clinton as proof that they weren't leftist. As we all know, all democrats are leftists, right? They all rally behind the democratic candidate and only attack conservatives!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/unaloid/status/1329846913173221380

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the original animaniacs had a joke about Rush Limbaugh going to hell lol

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dawgstar posted:

It's really strange how much people think it was exclusively a kids show. Did eight-year-olds eat up George Wendt references?

Nothing made 8 year olds in the 90s roll with laughter like carefully recreating the Orson Welles peas commercial with your Orson Welles talking mouse character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uWW--w4SRs

sexpig by night posted:

yea it's not like it was ever some deep 'leftist' critique like 'Clinton's welfare reform policy hurts the poor and working class while shifting the money to wealthy technocrats...waka waka!!!!!' but 'lol clinton like burger' or 'al gore boring' was, like, a common joke.

It never really 'got political' but it sounds like this version doesn't either. It just references people in popular culture? Like 'lol trump look like big dumb ogre' isn't political satire it's just...a joke about what a big turd trump looks like.

They got political at the same tier as The Simpsons, like "lol Republicans sure are evil" or "lol Clinton is kind of a horny manchild huh?" or the 15 minute bit where they do Looney Toons antics on "So Darned Insane" in a cartoony version of Baghdad that looks like Agrabah. A friend of mine who watched the new Hulu stuff says they didn't turn down the political stuff and there's some anti-cop jokes, and poo poo like digs at Putin and Wayne La'Pierre, but he's one of those Yass Queen Notorious R.B.G.-types and what he finds delightful might not be that cutting. Sounds to me like it's at about the same level as the old show, for whatever good or bad people take from that.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The old show had an obsession with old hollywood that was definitely archaic at the time. Sometimes I wonder if kids’ shows work weird elements in just to see if they can get kids to internalize and repeat things.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think it’s more that people just generally like to make things that appeal to themselves

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The old show had an obsession with old hollywood that was definitely archaic at the time. Sometimes I wonder if kids’ shows work weird elements in just to see if they can get kids to internalize and repeat things.

That was pretty much the lifeblood of a bunch of popular cartoons in the 90s since that's what a lot of the people making those shows were into.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Augus posted:

Hopefully they'll do one again.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
It looks like Quinn Curio is still at war with youtube over her ability to make fun of a bad Netflix movie, too:

https://twitter.com/QuinnCurio/status/1328018059756507137

https://twitter.com/QuinnCurio/status/1328021511962292227

Like at this point I guess we're reaching Addison Cain levels of "I don't like that you said bad things so I'm going to abuse copyright claims"?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

This feels like a joke the show would actually do

Also what I really enjoy about this trend of new versions of old cartoons like Animaniacs or Ducktales is I love seeing all these artist I follow on Twitter be like "I can finally reveal that I worked in this aspect of this show!" I see it A LOT with Ducktales, and I'm seeing it a lot with Animaniacs.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I wonder if 50s kids were as confused by Loony Toons references to Abbott and Costello and Humphrey Bogart as I was in the 90s.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Augus posted:

there was a joke in the original cartoon where they were looking at a map and wakko went
"Man, we're lost."
"Wakko, this isn't a map, this is the Republican Party platform."
"Yeah, we've really lost our way as a country."

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Seems Like Brad Jones' brainworms have spread to Doug.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Katt posted:

I wonder if 50s kids were as confused by Loony Toons references to Abbott and Costello and Humphrey Bogart as I was in the 90s.

My parents were born in the 60s and they sure were.

Looney Toons even referenced what could be an early meme song of sorts:

https://stason.org/TULARC/tv/warner-animation/1-1-Explain-the-joke-with-Richard-in-1948-1952-Looney-Tun.html

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Goldeneye is the best theme.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Groovelord Neato posted:

Goldeneye is the best theme.

I've always been more partial to Goldfinger myself

https://youtu.be/9ured0oVW10

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Seems Like Brad Jones' brainworms have spread to Doug.

Speaking of Brad Jones, I somehow ended up on his Twitter recently and I clicked on his following tab out of morbid curiosity and noticed he's following a lot of right wing assholes... :yikes:

Gina Carano
Megyn Kelly
TheBabylonBee
Fuckin KEEMSTAR

and also these charming folks...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Other Joe? What's bad about Other Joe?

But the rest of that list is :yikes: .

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Twincityhacker posted:

Other Joe? What's bad about Other Joe?

But the rest of that list is :yikes: .

Nothing that I know of. Just the people I have blocked on that list are the ones I was :yikes: ing to lol

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah, that would be an old school Animaniacs joke. Wakko is so loving dumb even he doesn't know what gender he is so he just has none.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jamie Faith posted:

Speaking of Brad Jones, I somehow ended up on his Twitter recently and I clicked on his following tab out of morbid curiosity and noticed he's following a lot of right wing assholes... :yikes:

Gina Carano
Megyn Kelly
TheBabylonBee
Fuckin KEEMSTAR

I think him going to see all those Pure Flix movies slowly started to crack his brain wide open and #ChangeTheChannel was the final splinter that just broke the whole drat thing.

Man, gently caress Brad Jones.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Jamie Faith posted:

Gina Carano
Megyn Kelly
TheBabylonBee
Fuckin KEEMSTAR

It really annoys me that Cain uses that Superman tagline.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

McCloud posted:

It really annoys me that Cain uses that Superman tagline.

Tbf he just wants to relive the times when he actually mattered

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, that would be an old school Animaniacs joke. Wakko is so loving dumb even he doesn't know what gender he is so he just has none.

:yikes:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2te_cZ229Q

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

nine-gear crow posted:

i think it would be more that he just doesn't give a poo poo and goes with the flow. watching clips on youtube its definatly way more openly progressive/liberal than i remembered it was as a kid, but i didn't get jokes as a kid and most of the jokes are solid enough in the new one so who cares.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
apropos of nothing, here's an irate gamer update:

:q:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think it would be more that he just doesn't give a poo poo and goes with the flow. watching clips on youtube its definatly way more openly progressive/liberal than i remembered it was as a kid, but i didn't get jokes as a kid and most of the jokes are solid enough in the new one so who cares.

Depending on the situation and the punchline Wakko sloshed between super chill and just a giant goddamn idiot. But yeah, even for the 90s the show was super progressive. Dot was a very outspoken feminist who didn't take anyone's crap when they tried to treat her as anything less than the equal of Yakko and Wakko.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

WHY BONER NOW posted:

It wouldn’t be totally out of nowhere if the guy who believes in ghosts had some schizotypal thought patterns or a mood disorder going on there, much as I would love for there to be a deep-state cabal of James Rolfe, the Game Grumps, and jack septiceye making and breaking youtube channels in exchange for hunting down qanon and his rebel faction.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

PYF non-canon Animaniacs jokes

Oh no, I supported a bad one

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

WHY BONER NOW posted:

OF COURSE Chris Bores is a Q anoner... :lol:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Well, he was a ghost hunter.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Rose of Dawn. The British Blaire White. How lovely.

And hey, Chris Bores spouting poo poo as usual.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is Count Dankula the new name for Count Jackula?

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Motto posted:

Well, he was a ghost hunter.

Believing in Ghosts is a very different thing than believing in Q anon.

Dawgstar posted:

Is Count Dankula the new name for Count Jackula?

No they're 2 different guys

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jamie Faith posted:

No they're 2 different guys

And yet both are somehow giant right wing assholes.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Dan may get dumb on twitter sometimes, but god his content is good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icwDF8wRgF4

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Specifically Count Dankula is the guy who taught his dog the Nazi salute and has stood for UKIP (same time Sargon did).

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Can't believe they had Yako Warner do a big musical number about how great Medicare for All is actually a great idea at the end of the new Anamaniacs! Now that the left have introduced this idea to our children in the form of catchy show tunes they can....do what exactly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

nine-gear crow posted:

Depending on the situation and the punchline Wakko sloshed between super chill and just a giant goddamn idiot. But yeah, even for the 90s the show was super progressive. Dot was a very outspoken feminist who didn't take anyone's crap when they tried to treat her as anything less than the equal of Yakko and Wakko.

i assumed as much. i just never watched it as much when i was younger or older. no cable and such. i just remember some of the songs including the one where they talk about how it doesn't matter what animals they are.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

of course he believes in dumb Q poo poo. i mean the dude partly runs this channel now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0GodMj4-R4 and probably makes a gently caress ton in view money now.

The Shame Boy posted:

Can't believe they had Yako Warner do a big musical number about how great Medicare for All is actually a great idea at the end of the new Anamaniacs! Now that the left have introduced this idea to our children in the form of catchy show tunes they can....do what exactly?

i'll take it anyway. gives me hope for future and such.