Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
:siren: Activate the Chili signal :siren:

https://twitter.com/acctphilly/status/1308803040091217920?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Maybe stop naming pets after food

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My kitten’s eyes started opening about 2 or 3 days ago. They’re at least halfway open now.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
so, due to my being out of work now for about 9 months, miss frog and I are planning on moving up to michigan to be closer to her family to help out with the kiddo, and get the hell out of FL where apparently I simply cant get work unless i want to just throw my resume in the trash and do retail or something. So moving 4 dogs and 4 cats cross country with a baby is a thing. We have a hypothetical plan that should work, but I am kinda torn about 1 thing. The old dog, Lady is hmmm id say maybe 12-13 years old now, her hips are slowly going and she is starting to exhibit more and more aggressive behavior towards the other dogs and cats in the house. My sensible brain thinks maybe she shouldnt make the trip, i cant imagine her getting along with cold weather and snow too well, and I'm somewhat concerned about a dog who is getting more aggressive towards other dogs, cats, loud noises etc. around the baby. On the other hand she is my goddamn favorite, and I suck about being objective and disconnected with animals.

what do?

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Will bringing her along improve the quality of her life and the quality of life of the people and animals around her?

If not, start thinking about the solution that helps her the most instead of wondering if everyone should take one for the team so she can get to have a lower quality of life.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Sorry for bringing the thread down, just having a rough day. You are right naturally. I'm just poo poo about this stuff.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I am fostering an old dog for a rescue right now so that might be an option for you :3:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Was thinking about that, but she is very opinionated and I'd say special needs with trust issues. Not a good combo in florida

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

yo what i do if kittom be dumpin out beans but one o them beans get all up in it’s fur so now kitten’s fur got poo poo paste in it, and i can’t get it all out with damp cotton balls?

how do i get poo poo out of kitten fur?

help

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

I. M. Gei posted:

yo what i do if kittom be dumpin out beans but one o them beans get all up in it’s fur so now kitten’s fur got poo poo paste in it, and i can’t get it all out with damp cotton balls?

how do i get poo poo out of kitten fur?

help

Sharp scissors and clip off the poopy pelt part?

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Poop is water soluble so you could also just shove its bum under a thin, room temp faucet stream if necessary. I'd be wary of scissors around kittens. Too squirmy.

I'm sorry about your dog sneakyfrog, that's a really rough decision to make. Do you think the aggression is based on her being in pain due to her arthritis? Or something more mental? Drugs can help (at least temporarily) with the first but if she's getting senile and fear-attacking the 'strangers' in the house that's something else.

Ockhams Crowbar
May 7, 2007
Always the simplest solution.
Update from the Dog Farm.

We've continued to foster, and had a few dogs come to stay before going on to their forever homes.

Cali here is the sweetest pitbull/lab mix who was absolutely convinced that her 60 pound self was a lap dog and how dare you suggest otherwise. She went to a home where she became a family's first dog, and goddamn she is a good first dog, especially for kids. For those of you who haven't fostered (and you totally should if able), getting updates from the eventual adopters is one of the best things ever.

Jake is a pug/chihuahua mix who went to live with an older woman and her caretaker as a companion. He was pretty chill for a chihuahua mix, and seems to be settling in well to being doted on constantly.

This is Hugo. Hugo came out of the shelter severely underweight - that picture is from the day we got him - and with bright blue dye all spread through his fur. The shelter suggested the dye might have something to do with him being used as a bait dog? If anyone has any insight, I'd appreciate it, I have no idea about any of that. Despite whatever has happened with him, he's been very well behaved, and has been attached to me since day one like a little shadow.

He is probably going to be our first foster failure.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

There's nothing I love more in life than 50lb+ dogs who believe they're lap dogs :kimchi:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Lookit that blurry tail. :kimchi:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Such a perfect face.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Boop!

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Agreed

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Buttery goodness

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Blondekitton has graduated to the Big Kids Kitten Pen (aka our front hall) and is learning how to walk. :3:

He is a bit of a messy bottle-eater. He moves his head around a lot putting the nipple in the side of his mouth instead of the middle, so the formula doesn’t always go where it’s supposed to. It makes it tough to feed him sometimes and I’m not sure why he does it; maybe he’s just teething?

He just shot out a squirt of foul brown diarrhea during his last post-feed wipedown, which is the first time that’s happened. Hopefully it’s not a trend.

Also I’ve settled on a name for him.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I hope Artful Dodger Remix grows up happy and healthy :v:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Yeah, boop that snoot

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Hi I have come into possession of three kittens from a dryer vent. Not sure how old exactly but they have teeth and are eating wet food, drinking, and have all pooped and peed. One has some buildup near her eye that weve been cleaning regularly. They have toys and blankets that smell like us and our dogs in a little kennel. Planning to take them to the vet this weekend. Is there anything major that I’m missing. I’ll pay the cat tax in a second because they’re adorable.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

PASS THE MASH posted:

Hi I have come into possession of three kittens from a dryer vent. Not sure how old exactly but they have teeth and are eating wet food, drinking, and have all pooped and peed. One has some buildup near her eye that weve been cleaning regularly. They have toys and blankets that smell like us and our dogs in a little kennel. Planning to take them to the vet this weekend. Is there anything major that I’m missing. I’ll pay the cat tax in a second because they’re adorable.
If they are eating, eliminating, and warm, that's like 90% of success right there.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

PASS THE MASH posted:

Back when I rescued the dudes I have now, my partner at the time told me to get a heating pad because kittens can get cold and have issues regulating their heat. I was told to put the pad in a place where they could choose to lay on it, but still had plenty of room to move away if they got too warm.

I didn't have one at first so I improvised with a bottle of hot water wrapped in a few layers of thick sock.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Thanks for the advice y’all. The cats are doing well and passed their first checkup with flying colors. They don’t like getting pictures taken but here they are

https://imgur.com/gallery/igr3ZAE

The black one is Inkpot, the only male and his sisters won’t stop sucking on his penis because they miss their mother.
The one with the larger orange spot is Wednesday and the skinny one is Hazel. They’re all the sweetest thing and I’m really sad I can’t keep them.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Hey all, I know there's no right answers so just looking for advice.

We fostered a dog for about 4 months and finally rehomed him last Friday. He wasn't supposed to stay 4 months but that's how it went for a bunch of reasons and he ended up very attached to us (and us to him). The dog has been adjusting OK to his new home but it's clear he's a bit depressed and misses us.

The question is, the girl that adopted him lives nearby and is constantly offering to meet up with us at the park so we can say hi. Will us meeting up with him so soon just gently caress up the transition even more or would it help?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

Sisqo is now curled up in my lap, on his back, trying to eat his own back foot :3:

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Love this

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
welp the old dog was put to sleep. :mad:
the other 3 have been successfully driven to michigan.

question: so i have 4 cats, a baby and a wife that need to be driven to michigan, much like the dogs i was planning on just doing a straight shot there only stopping for gas and nature calling.

we have 4 soft crates i have been putting feliway in and leaving open all week so they can play around in them.

are there any :catdrugs: that i can safely sedate them with (the cats not the wife and baby) to make the trip easier on them?

its most likely going to be 18-20 hours straight drive.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

sneakyfrog posted:

welp the old dog was put to sleep. :mad:
the other 3 have been successfully driven to michigan.

question: so i have 4 cats, a baby and a wife that need to be driven to michigan, much like the dogs i was planning on just doing a straight shot there only stopping for gas and nature calling.

we have 4 soft crates i have been putting feliway in and leaving open all week so they can play around in them.

are there any :catdrugs: that i can safely sedate them with (the cats not the wife and baby) to make the trip easier on them?

its most likely going to be 18-20 hours straight drive.

You can get, like, cat valium from a vet. I don't know of any OTC options besides Feliway.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah for a trip that long see a vet for cat tranquilizers.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Note that your vet will require seeing all four cats before giving you tranquilizers, or you can lie about the length of the trip to get extra but be aware of how much tranqulizer they need by weight.

It's really dependent on the cats, one of mine needed to be drugged or she would have meowed for 4000 miles straight but the other one was fine and just slept in his crate and looked out the window occasionally. Give drugs in the hotel in the morning, crate cats, eat breakfast, head out.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

This is Hades. He's a stray, probably abandoned. He'd been hanging around our house for some months now, and we gave him the name Hades as a joke- I have a black cat named Persephone, and he used to always come to my screen door looking for her. At first he was very shy and would run away from us, but my oldest kid started feeding him and next thing we know he's loving all over us.

Turns out Hades is a huge lovebug. After a while he'd come to our door and meow at us, not because he wanted to be fed but because he wanted belly rubs. If I was out in my garden he'd come running- above is him flopping in the weeds looking for love while I'm trying to plant my fall bulbs. It was sometime this fall that we noticed he had an injured paw, and went through the steps to try and find an owner, if they existed. No one ever came forward, and since per our county animal control laws no one had claimed him within the allotted time it was within our legal right to keep him. We made an appointment with the SPCA for medical care, gave him a flea treatment, and kept an eye on him.

Well, until yesterday that is. It's been getting colder and Hades has been more and more insistent on trying to come inside our house. We were initially very hesitant because our other cats basically hate his guts, and with him being unneutered I was concerned he might spray. But he spent the night in my kids' room last night and was having the time of his life snuggling up with her. So yeah, we're "fostering" again and my oldest says that they're going to keep him.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The whole "strange cat works its way into your home and life" is so weird and awesome. One day it's an animal you don't know, and then it's sleeping in your bed.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

That's pretty much how we got my Lila. Snuggly lovebug of a "feral" cat we found, no chip or owners come forth, we bring her in when the weather gets cold, she has a great time sleeping in my warm bed, now she's here for good.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
let me just say for the record, 20 hours in the car with 4 cats, a baby and my wife was a circle of hell that I was not prepared for.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

sneakyfrog posted:

let me just say for the record, 20 hours in the car with 4 cats, a baby and my wife was a circle of hell that I was not prepared for.

Lmao I was waiting for this post, pretty much verbatim

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Where the new place, I have some strays to dump outside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ockhams Crowbar
May 7, 2007
Always the simplest solution.
Dog Farm update!

Hugo ended up being a foster failure and staying with us. He's put on weight and has become my little shadow; if I'm home, he's right beside me. In the last two months we've only had one foster, who is still with us for the moment

Louie came to us matted, severely underweight and with his balls still intact. The shelter estimated he was around 8 years old; our vet says he's more likely around 12 or 13. We wonder if he was used as a breeder.

Louie had some severe mouth issues as well that were causing him pain. The tartar was so thick that it looked like he was wearing a mouthguard, and you could smell the sickly sweet stench from across the room. During his dental cleaning, they ended up having to remove every tooth due to the infected abscesses that riddled his mouth. Now when he tries to lick us his tongue comes out of the side of his mouth.

It's taken a lot of time and care, but after surgery, a lot of grooming and a ton of patience he has become a very sweet little lap stealer. He is just now going up as adoptable.

And now, your moment of zen.