Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
It's really cool to see them releasing a Senegalese film. I hope they do more of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

WONG BOX WHEN

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Man Push Cart and Chop Shop are both fantastic. Highly recommend them!

Foam Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Lurkzilla
Grimey Drawer
With my copies of Parasite and Ghost Dog coming in, I found something really fortunate, but I’m not sure if it fits in here.

Tower Records is back online, and they have a limited edition vinyl of the Ghost Dog soundtrack available for preorder.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Debating between grabbing Wages of Fear or Brighter Summer Day from the sale. Brighter Summer Day feels like a more Important (tm) movie to have, but Wages of Fear feels more like something I'd loan around and share with people.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Nerdietalk posted:

Debating between grabbing Wages of Fear or Brighter Summer Day from the sale. Brighter Summer Day feels like a more Important (tm) movie to have, but Wages of Fear feels more like something I'd loan around and share with people.

Wages of Fear has a few scenes on first watch that are some of the more tense moments I've seen on film, but I didn't get a strong feeling out of it on repeat viewings. Dunno why.

Brighter Summer Day was astounding imo, like maybe one of the most profound historical portraits of a society I've yet seen. It's long as hell though. It would be my pick of the two, especially since it was out of circulation for so long.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Yeah, Brighter Summer Day is one of my favorite films. It just covers so much ground. It's 4 hours long, but it really earns it's run time. I love this film so much, and I recommend it to everyone that loves film.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I would go with A Brighter Summer Day, this coming from one of the few people who thinks Sorcerer is the better film than Wages of Fear.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Gonna be a dissenter and say go with Wages of Fear. A Brighter Summer Day is fine but there's not much rewatchability there IMHO.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VoodooXT posted:

I would go with A Brighter Summer Day, this coming from one of the few people who thinks Sorcerer is the better film than Wages of Fear.

Sorcerer is definitely the more interesting film. It's got a criterion-level bluray, too!

Cold Milk Bottle
Nov 19, 2012
As much as I love Criterion Channel for its selection, it sure buffers a lot for me. Usually happens at night, I'll watch half a movie with no problem and then it shits the bed and buffers constantly. I wind up shutting the movie off and watching the second half the next day. Happens with all types of movies. The only thing I can figure it it's a Vimeo thing, Vimeo's always been dicey with the connection in this house.

On the topic of recent collection sales, I keep eyeballing that Cassavettes Boxset, I'll probably have to pull the trigger on that one when the next sale comes around. This time I got Nashville, Mikey and Nicky, and The Life Aquatic. Would love to add some great japanese movies to my collection too as that's been a big feature for me and my girlfriend on the Channel. She's been on a big samurai kick and it's been rubbing off on me.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Cold Milk Bottle posted:

As much as I love Criterion Channel for its selection, it sure buffers a lot for me. Usually happens at night, I'll watch half a movie with no problem and then it shits the bed and buffers constantly. I wind up shutting the movie off and watching the second half the next day. Happens with all types of movies. The only thing I can figure it it's a Vimeo thing, Vimeo's always been dicey with the connection in this house.

I had this issue last year. So did a buddy of mine. I decided to try and start another free trial, just so I could watch Shivers, because I couldn't find it anywhere else. Since, I have probably watched 5-10 movies, and the buffering is a rare experience now. It still happens, but when it does, it is only a few seconds. Whereas before, the films were unwatchable.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I'm a little late for Ken Russell chat but Lisztomania is the best poo poo ever, track it down one way or another

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Reminder that CC is losing all of it's Celine Sciamma films at the end of the month. If you like/loved Portrait of a Lady on Fire, you should check out her others.

I'd rank them:

Portrait of a Lady on Fire
Tomboy
Water Lilies
Girlhood

but they are all great and worth a watch.

(Portrait is not on CC)

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

For someone who already has way too many noir and heist movies, is Asphalt Jungle worth a blind buy?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Cacator posted:

For someone who already has way too many noir and heist movies, is Asphalt Jungle worth a blind buy?

if you're into that sort of thing as you clearly are, big yes

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

B&N has started to ship Essential Fellini. Per one reviewer on Criterion Forum, all but three films are brand new 4K restorations - including 8 1/2. La Dolce Vita and Fellini Satyricon use the same 4K restorations used for the single Blu-rays, Roma is the same 2K restoration.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Egbert Souse posted:

B&N has started to ship Essential Fellini. Per one reviewer on Criterion Forum, all but three films are brand new 4K restorations - including 8 1/2. La Dolce Vita and Fellini Satyricon use the same 4K restorations used for the single Blu-rays, Roma is the same 2K restoration.

Mine is due to arrive on the 24th.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Nice avatar Fran.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

Nice avatar Fran.

Thank you. I noticed it this morning and got a huge laugh out of it. Thanks to whoever gave it to me.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

Thank you. I noticed it this morning and got a huge laugh out of it. Thanks to whoever gave it to me.

I'm glad you like it :kimchi:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

My copies of Ghost Dog and Crash are shipped. Really excited to give Ghost Dog a watch. Dont think I've seen it since the theaters.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Ended up going with the crowd and grabbing Brighter Summer Day, if only because I learned that one has an audio commentary that Wages of Fear doesn’t. Gimme that four hour analysis, I’m ready to live

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Realized today was the last day of the sale so I slid into a closing B&N like Indiana Jones to grab Ghost Dog and Repo Man before they closed.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Rewatched Nashville and man, I think it's probably my best Criterion blind-buy decision(thanks to this thread of course). Now having seen it twice I feel like I'm just scratching the surface of it, and it's amazing to think about how many great filmmakers were influenced by the movie(PT Anderson and Tarantino come to mind right away).

I don't think there's any other musical out there that packs as much character into every music section as Nashville. The music is good, but I love that I'm not just sitting there mindlessly listening, almost every one of those scenes has multiple characters moving through them and having little moments, and usually the performance itself is a big character moment for the performer as well. It's just a very very unique film, even within Altman's filmography.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Rewatched Nashville and man, I think it's probably my best Criterion blind-buy decision(thanks to this thread of course). Now having seen it twice I feel like I'm just scratching the surface of it, and it's amazing to think about how many great filmmakers were influenced by the movie(PT Anderson and Tarantino come to mind right away).

I don't think there's any other musical out there that packs as much character into every music section as Nashville. The music is good, but I love that I'm not just sitting there mindlessly listening, almost every one of those scenes has multiple characters moving through them and having little moments, and usually the performance itself is a big character moment for the performer as well. It's just a very very unique film, even within Altman's filmography.

I'm due for a rewatch. I've only seen it one time. I keep postponing buying a copy of it.

Nashville would be my dad's favorite movie if he ever watched anything I actually recommended to him.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Having a dislike for country music, I went into Nashville with some cynicism. I ended up absolutely loving it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

Having a dislike for country music, I went into Nashville with some cynicism. I ended up absolutely loving it.

It's such a time capsule! It's a portrait of a very specific place during a very specific time made in a specific era of Hollywood, with a cast of actors from a bygone era. It feels so much more like a documentary than a fictional film.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I probably need to rewatch Nashville myself. Altman is usually very hit or miss for me, and Nashville is for the most part a miss EXCEPT for that ending which has stayed lodged in my mind.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Most movies that use the premise of "a varied group of characters go about their day as their lives intertwine in interesting ways" end up feeling a lot more contrived than Nashville. Nashville feels more expansive, it has almost an epic quality to it. A lot of the characters don't interact with each other in like, big noticeable dramatic ways. They have small encounters with each other that even the audience may not notice on first viewing, but each encounter is still important to the whole in some way. It really is a masterpiece.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Raxivace posted:

I probably need to rewatch Nashville myself. Altman is usually very hit or miss for me, and Nashville is for the most part a miss EXCEPT for that ending which has stayed lodged in my mind.

To use a crude analogy, Altman's movies are growers/not showers for me. I enjoy them, but I don't really get into them until a 2nd watch. He had such a unique vision with film.

I thought, "I should make Altman the next director I deep dive into." He has 41 feature-length films! Prolific work-horse.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
He's one of the few directors where I get a very specific itch for his films and nothing else is really a worthy substitute. I think that's about the highest praise I can give a director, I feel the same way about Kubrick and Kurosawa and Lean and a few others(John Carpenter and Wes Anderson come to mind).

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/Nick_Newman/status/1333805557040386050?s=20

Between this and the new In The Mood for Love color correction you better hold on to your old Wong blu rays/files/whatever.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Electronico6 posted:

https://twitter.com/Nick_Newman/status/1333805557040386050?s=20

Between this and the new In The Mood for Love color correction you better hold on to your old Wong blu rays/files/whatever.

I'm going insane over this

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/Perry_Ruh/status/1333812002326798336?s=20

https://twitter.com/Nick_Newman/status/1333813106527531008?s=20

https://twitter.com/zizz_0/status/1307404772966912005?s=20

One holds hope that, at least for Fallen Angels, the old version will tag along the newer, but we all know what Wong did with the original cut of Ashes of Time so...

RIP to the thread's wong box when guy

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Criterion is known for their thoughtful, deliberate transfers. I don't see them making severe changes like this without the directors' approvals.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Spatulater bro! posted:

Criterion is known for their thoughtful, deliberate transfers. I don't see them making severe changes like this without the directors' approvals.

Oh these are all approved by Wong Kar-wai. He even talked about how Fallen Angels was shot for cinemascope but he dropped that aspect ratio in post cause it looked bad in 1995. Turns out it also looks bad in 2020!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Electronico6 posted:

Oh these are all approved by Wong Kar-wai. He even talked about how Fallen Angels was shot for cinemascope but he dropped that aspect ratio in post cause it looked bad in 1995. Turns out it also looks bad in 2020!

Ah gotcha. I thought people were thinking Criterion hosed up. So it's really more of a preference thing I guess.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Electronico6 posted:

oh jeez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

https://twitter.com/ViolasMoustache/status/1333820424212385792