Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Looking up Adventure Time on streaming services I just discovered that they banned a ton of episodes in the UK/Europe, basically a lot of early episodes that are heavy on story stuff, including a bunch of the rather important Lich episodes, and like almost half of season 6. Man that fuckin blows and it will probably remain that way forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat, that’s really lame. I always torrented it so I have no idea.

Watching Obsidian now, it is crazy good. PB and Marcy are such great characters

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Who was that guy who first goes to the houseboat in the American Crime Story about Versace and Andrew Cunanan. He gets into a shootout then calls the police?

I just remembered it and now it's killing me

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hakkesshu posted:

Looking up Adventure Time on streaming services I just discovered that they banned a ton of episodes in the UK/Europe, basically a lot of early episodes that are heavy on story stuff, including a bunch of the rather important Lich episodes, and like almost half of season 6. Man that fuckin blows and it will probably remain that way forever.

Why would they do that

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Azhais posted:

I got "free" hbo max as a result of my hbo sub on prime, just log into max via my Amazon login.

Wouldn't shock me if max just replaces it

It won't. That's the whole reason why it took so long for HBO Max to come to FireTV devices.

Time Warner wants consolidated control over interface and wants to limit the metrics that competitors collect about what people watch.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Klowner posted:

Why would they do that

Not kid friendly enough, I assume. The levels of censorship aimed at that show in Europe gets pretty wild, evidently.

https://adventuretime.fandom.com/wiki/Censorship_of_Adventure_Time

At least it looks like you can get a full blu-ray boxset now, but it still sucks.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I was primed to like Adventure Time from the first episode but the one where Jake and Finn get fat and at the end Jake just pops back to his original shape while it ends with a close-up of Finn's fat face with "The End" across his forehead made me fall in love.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I was primed to like Adventure Time from the first episode but the one where Jake and Finn get fat and at the end Jake just pops back to his original shape while it ends with a close-up of Finn's fat face with "The End" across his forehead made me fall in love.

For me it was the one where Jake is cursed with a Danny DeVito body.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Hakkesshu posted:

Not kid friendly enough, I assume. The levels of censorship aimed at that show in Europe gets pretty wild, evidently.

https://adventuretime.fandom.com/wiki/Censorship_of_Adventure_Time

At least it looks like you can get a full blu-ray boxset now, but it still sucks.

A commercial television channel editing out some nudity and PG-rated language so they can air it in a block for younger kids is really pushing the definition of "censorship" even by the standards of of people complaining about cartoons being censored on the internet.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

British people even censored the 90s Ninja Turtles because nunchucks were too dangerous. It's why Michelangelo had that goofy rope-hook thing instead.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Grapnels aren't any safer!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mu Zeta posted:

British people even censored the 90s Ninja Turtles because nunchucks were too dangerous. It's why Michelangelo had that goofy rope-hook thing instead.

From my childhood memories of kids who got their hands on nunchucks or fashioned facsimiles this was the right call.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

It was also called Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles over here

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

swickles posted:

I need some help TV Goons. I am spending a lot of time with my parents and need some show recommendations. The biggest hang up is my step dad, as he likes very very few comedies. We just finished Ted Lasso, which how could anyone not like. Since he usually watches police/detective/spy procedurals, I thought we would try Patriot, but after 3 episodes it just doesn't grab him (he says its slow, and I plan to finish it myself later). Shows he has seen and liked: Homeland, The Americans, Blue Bloods (is over 70, so a given), the various NCIS's and CSI's, Bones, Better Call Saul, Breaking Bad, Sopranos, Bosch, Billions, Goliath, Suits, Barry (which surprised me but was happy to watch it with them!) etc. Any other shows along those lines would be greatly appreciated. Also, despite never liking anything sci fi, he actually loves The Mandolorian (although it may be literally the only Star Wars material he has ever seen) and he liked the Expanse.

I would say Person of Interest. Great show. Not sure where it is streaming now. He might also be interested in FBI and FBI: Most Wanted which are Dick Wolf procedurals on CBS. If you and your family don't mind subtitles Fauda on Netflix is pretty good as well. I have only watched one season but it's good spy stuff based in Israel.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

...of SCIENCE! posted:

A commercial television channel editing out some nudity and PG-rated language so they can air it in a block for younger kids is really pushing the definition of "censorship" even by the standards of of people complaining about cartoons being censored on the internet.

Did you miss the part where like 50 episodes of the show just haven’t aired in some territories and probably never will be available on streaming. Thats the part that sucks, not the minor content editing of TV blocks.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 21, 2020

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I got a few episodes into a rewatch of Community, but it seems like Netflix edited certain jokes/lines from some episodes and I have no idea why.

The one I noticed most is when Annie is doing the psychological test where she tells everyone to keep waiting, and Troy breaks down and drags himself away on the floor. They took out Troy's great line "There's so much DUST in here!" and instead cut to black a few seconds later like an ad break. Did Netflix just get a version with alternate takes or something?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also the best episode of Community isn’t on Netflix anymore

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

sticklefifer posted:

I got a few episodes into a rewatch of Community, but it seems like Netflix edited certain jokes/lines from some episodes and I have no idea why.

The one I noticed most is when Annie is doing the psychological test where she tells everyone to keep waiting, and Troy breaks down and drags himself away on the floor. They took out Troy's great line "There's so much DUST in here!" and instead cut to black a few seconds later like an ad break. Did Netflix just get a version with alternate takes or something?

They are probably the broadcast versions of episodes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Escobarbarian posted:

Also the best episode of Community isn’t on Netflix anymore

Which episode is that?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Which episode is that?
The DnD episode, they took it down because Chang is in blackface.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

sticklefifer posted:

Netflix can't edit anything. They can only show what they've been given by the distributor.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The line I mentioned was definitely in the broadcast version, so I'm not sure why there's a difference.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wasn't there a thing not that long ago where Netflix got a weird edit of a movie?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

muscles like this! posted:

Wasn't there a thing not that long ago where Netflix got a weird edit of a movie?

There's definitely been a few cases where they apparently got a lovely VHS transfer lol

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Some of the first season of Community has two versions. There was a mixup when they were making the DVDs and wrong edits were sent so some jokes got cut. There's a broadcast version and what a lot of places have. They talk about it in the commentary.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

They had a version of a gay romance movie that had the sex scenes edited out. The director and a bunch of other people complained, Netflix just said it was the distributor's fault.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Simone Magus posted:

There's definitely been a few cases where they apparently got a lovely VHS transfer lol

Back in the early days of their streaming they were using a lot of digital rips that were making the rounds on torrent sites.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Their version of Atomic Blonde didn't have captions for the parts in German and Russian, which is a large chunk of the movie

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hardcore Henry does the same thing where the Russian dialog was subtitled in theaters.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Some of the first season of Community has two versions. There was a mixup when they were making the DVDs and wrong edits were sent so some jokes got cut. There's a broadcast version and what a lot of places have. They talk about it in the commentary.

Yup, they used the syndicated copies as the masters by mistake. The 'British 10' joke is cut in those, which is a particular fave.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Back in the early days of their streaming they were using a lot of digital rips that were making the rounds on torrent sites.

I think you just got fooled by the fake watermark season four of Arrested Development used on all the clips from flashbacks of the first three seasons as a joke.

https://variety.com/2013/digital/news/netflix-arrested-development-watermark-gag-causes-confusion-1200488124/

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Netflix did have messed up videos in the early days. I tried to stream Newsradio and the sound would go out of sync like on the crappy encodes you got on Kazaa.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I think you just got fooled by the fake watermark season four of Arrested Development used on all the clips from flashbacks of the first three seasons as a joke.

https://variety.com/2013/digital/news/netflix-arrested-development-watermark-gag-causes-confusion-1200488124/

No, this was before Netflix even had AD. The Buffy season 7 episodes were the broadcast early leak rips, the DVD and later streaming versions were edited. And the Transformers episodes had the same tracking distortions as the vhs rips available via torrent at the time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Netflix did have messed up videos in the early days. I tried to stream Newsradio and the sound would go out of sync like on the crappy encodes you got on Kazaa.

Yeah for years Netflix had a hosed up version of the MST3K episode Pod People where it just had a noise playing over it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Funnily enough the official DVDs of Arrested Development s1 has an episode that came from the wrong masters, and has the Fox and classification idents from the broadcast. Not sure if that was just the UK version or if the US one had the issue too.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

sticklefifer posted:

iirc Community had some extended episodes, so the Netflix versions may be the broadcast ones.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

yeah this lmao

e: or the opposite is true lmao

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Funnily enough the official DVDs of Arrested Development s1 has an episode that came from the wrong masters, and has the Fox and classification idents from the broadcast. Not sure if that was just the UK version or if the US one had the issue too.

I never had this on my UK DVDs

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

swickles posted:

I need some help TV Goons. I am spending a lot of time with my parents and need some show recommendations.

Terriers
Day Break (with Taye Diggs)
The U.K. version of Utopia is on Prime now

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

His Dark Materials was so competent yet underwhelming that absolutely nobody cares that season 2 is airing. I almost wish the show was a disaster so it could at least be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It’s also difficult to talk about when there’s a mismatch between US and UK airings.