Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Grinding in FFV? I guess you’d need to if you picked lovely jobs or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

jokes posted:

Grinding in FFV? I guess you’d need to if you picked lovely jobs or something?
Unless you've got multipler Berserkers, not really (and even then unlikely) - the only hard wall I can think of is Almagest and by then you're at the literal end of the game.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

But can you really say you've finished FFV if you don't even have Dualcast on every character?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Veib posted:

But can you really say you've finished FFV if you don't even have Dualcast rapid fire and spell blade on every character?

There we go.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I'm currently at the meteor picking up Addamanium and fighting the giant turtle thing. it kills my people with one hit.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Use ice. I think the 'toise only costs two ice rods if you're really desperate.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I think the only time I actually sat down and beat FFV, I made a cheat code via my emulator to award myself thousands of AP after every battle and mastered every job. That was pretty amusing.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
since no one has mentioned it yet I don't think, levels in FFV only increase your HP iirc. which is certainly not a bad thing but it's not going to increase your damage or defense, and gear isn't gated by level so it won't help on that front either. obviously it will get you job exp too but even then most job abilities aren't going to make or break you on a casual playthrough.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The only stat that increases with level is HP but the damage formula includes level itself as a factor in most attacks/spells.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Beat the boss.

I have to realize that this game's bosses are very glass cannon. Either you kill them fast or they kill you fast. It's not like modern games where they are drawn out and you have to revive your party members ASAP when they get killed.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Unless you've got multipler Berserkers, not really (and even then unlikely) - the only hard wall I can think of is Almagest and by then you're at the literal end of the game.

Sandworm is waiting for your response, but only if you manage to strike them and not the other three holes!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Adamantoise is vulnerable to instant death, so a Zerker with a Death Sickle can kill it. It's also vulnerable to Blind, so a Blue Mage with Flash could give some breathing room. It's also good to use Protect if you're using a White Mage since it halves damage from physicals.

You also could've had a Knight spamming !Guard with three near-fatal allies, since Adamantoise only does physicals it won't be able to stop the Knight otherwise, letting the rest of your party throw debuffs or whatever.

There's usually alternate solutions to bosses besides brute force. Status effects can actually be effective! Though of course it varies based on boss, so it's hard to tell which is vulnerable to what.

If you get stuck later I wrote a boss guide on my FF5 site though be warned it may be easy to accidentally get spoiled on future bosses.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Adamantoise is vulnerable to instant death, so a Zerker with a Death Sickle can kill it. It's also vulnerable to Blind, so a Blue Mage with Flash could give some breathing room. It's also good to use Protect if you're using a White Mage since it halves damage from physicals.

You also could've had a Knight spamming !Guard with three near-fatal allies, since Adamantoise only does physicals it won't be able to stop the Knight otherwise, letting the rest of your party throw debuffs or whatever.

There's usually alternate solutions to bosses besides brute force. Status effects can actually be effective! Though of course it varies based on boss, so it's hard to tell which is vulnerable to what.

If you get stuck later I wrote a boss guide on my FF5 site though be warned it may be easy to accidentally get spoiled on future bosses.

Thanks.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I should add that quite a few enemies, bosses included, are vulnerable to the Old status and can really shave down their stats if you're having a rough go of it.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Caveat: while nearly every player damage formula incorporates level in some way, a lot of enemy damage formulas just... don't. Old will always nerf their basic physicals, but beyond that it can be a bit of a crapshoot.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Perhaps the most frustrating thing in all of FFVIII is that, for all the parts where it stumbles and fails to make much sense either narratively or mechanically, it will occasionally just stick the landing and be amazing for about fifteen minutes out of nowhere.

The whole spaceflight sequence with Squall and Rinoafeels like it should be in a completely different game both tonally and quality-wise... until the camera pans right and you see a GIANT PILLAR OF MONSTERS, and then by chance you fall into a gimmick puzzle dungeon.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
While the overall plot is dumb as hell, FFVIII consistently nails it with the set pieces. Dollet, the train mission, the garden battle, space are all cool as gently caress even though the in-between parts (and, annoyingly sometimes during) are punctuated with meaningless teen drama.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Cleretic posted:

Perhaps the most frustrating thing in all of FFVIII is that, for all the parts where it stumbles and fails to make much sense either narratively or mechanically, it will occasionally just stick the landing and be amazing for about fifteen minutes out of nowhere.

The whole spaceflight sequence with Squall and Rinoafeels like it should be in a completely different game both tonally and quality-wise... until the camera pans right and you see a GIANT PILLAR OF MONSTERS, and then by chance you fall into a gimmick puzzle dungeon.

To this day, I still have no idea what NORG's deal is. You travel all the way to the foundation of Garden and somehow miss his weirdness.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Teratrain posted:

While the overall plot is dumb as hell, FFVIII consistently nails it with the set pieces. Dollet, the train mission, the garden battle, space are all cool as gently caress even though the in-between parts (and, annoyingly sometimes during) are punctuated with meaningless teen drama.

I honestly don't mind the teen drama as much as others, because Squall is a really interesting protagonist for it. Your protagonist for this teen drama is a guy who doesn't understand teens or communicating. And not even in the usual way teens struggle to communicate, it genuinely feels like there's something wrong with Squall beyond being a lovely teen.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Victory Position posted:

To this day, I still have no idea what NORG's deal is. You travel all the way to the foundation of Garden and somehow miss his weirdness.
NORG is a libertarian and is thus doomed to be chumped by someone with an actual cause. The elevator just doesn't stop on his floor earlier.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

punk rebel ecks posted:

Beat the boss.

I have to realize that this game's bosses are very glass cannon. Either you kill them fast or they kill you fast. It's not like modern games where they are drawn out and you have to revive your party members ASAP when they get killed.

Bit game breaking advice that I'll spoiler if you don't want to ruin it: mystic knight spell blade status effects have 100% hit rates so long as the physical hit lands. Anything vulnerable to a status effect can get chumped by them. The -aga spell blades also do ridiculous damage to anything with an elemental weakness.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Teratrain posted:

Outside of the set pieces, this is the Final Fantasy where it seems like crucial exposition is always hiding behind a corner, waiting to jump out and scare (or disappoint) the poo poo out of you.

"SURPRISE! You all grew up together in an orphanage! SURPRISE! The sorceress is your orphanage matron! SURPRISE! You're related to Ellone somehow! SURPRISE!!!! There's another sorceress in space!!!!"

I'd have one more to offer, but it just sort of all oozes and amalgamates at the end.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cleretic posted:

It is a shame about the Squall/Rinoa stuff spoiling the giant pillar of monsters yeah

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
FF8 has an incredibly original world and tone and setting story that it does absolutely everything in its power to make you ignore and override it with bullshit constantly.

"What if we have the final boss be the evil sorcerer the protags dad/rivals hero/other protag you keep playing as sealed away? The who in setting has spent the last 18 years screaming over TV and Radio that she'll have her revenge which is a big building block in why the setting is so Zine culture heavy and why the whole opening Dollet section is even happening and why every culture is so disconnected from one another? You even have to go to space to get her and there we explain Monsters come from space thanks to some weird hyper evil obelisk that she uses to break free. The witch who is implied to be controlling the others since she's actively broadcasting her will down from loving outer space"

"Yeah that makes sense. But also, what if there was another new sorceress in the super future doing kind of the same thing but she's literally only mentioned right before you get to the final dungeon?"

Yeah okay sure. Fine whatever.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

"Yeah that makes sense. But also, what if there was another new sorceress in the super future doing kind of the same thing but she's literally only mentioned right before you get to the final dungeon?"

I'm okay with you making GBS threads all over FFVIII's story, since god knows it deserves it, but I do want to point out, Ultimecia is actually quite established in the game beforehand. More than Adel is, actually. She's first elaborated on during the second disc as an active threat, you see her during one of the Elonne flashbacks in the early third disc. She's actually more actively relevant, earlier, than Adel, who exists as basically a background detail and history piece until specifically Ultimecia drags her in.

You're getting her confused with Necron in FFIX. Who does appear straight-up out of nowhere right at the end, with no backstory or foreshadowing, and is expected to be taken seriously as a final boss.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Just like the Necron in Barkley Shut Up and Jam Garden...

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I'm okay with you making GBS threads all over FFVIII's story, since god knows it deserves it, but I do want to point out, Ultimecia is actually quite established in the game beforehand. More than Adel is, actually. She's first elaborated on during the second disc as an active threat, you see her during one of the Elonne flashbacks in the early third disc. She's actually more actively relevant, earlier, than Adel, who exists as basically a background detail and history piece until specifically Ultimecia drags her in.

You're getting her confused with Necron in FFIX. Who does appear straight-up out of nowhere right at the end, with no backstory or foreshadowing, and is expected to be taken seriously as a final boss.

I covered this stuff in the first part. "The secret sorceress who's been possessing people over the years and trying to get Ellone" could have easily just been Adel since her whole deal is "SCreaming Space Ghost Shouting At the Planet 'YOU WILL NOT WIN! I WILL BREAK FREE'."

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Cleretic posted:

See also: Zeromus

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

FF8 has an incredibly original world and tone and setting story that it does absolutely everything in its power to make you ignore and override it with bullshit constantly.

"What if we have the final boss be the evil sorcerer the protags dad/rivals hero/other protag you keep playing as sealed away? The who in setting has spent the last 18 years screaming over TV and Radio that she'll have her revenge which is a big building block in why the setting is so Zine culture heavy and why the whole opening Dollet section is even happening and why every culture is so disconnected from one another? You even have to go to space to get her and there we explain Monsters come from space thanks to some weird hyper evil obelisk that she uses to break free. The witch who is implied to be controlling the others since she's actively broadcasting her will down from loving outer space"

Yeah okay sure. Fine whatever.

This makes FF8 sound much cooler than I remember it

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Necron is just a consequence of Kuja's actions, not a secret big bad. He broke the Crystal holding reality together, so Death has come to collect, and you have to beat him up and drive him off to fix what your brother broke. It's the ultimate rejection of Kuja's nihilism - he kills everyone, so you get up, soldier on, and fight off Death itself.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Gotta say, FF has the best final boss descriptions.

“Emperor who died and conquered hell within a day.”

“A bunch of evil souls shoved into a tree that finally escape after killing said tree.”

“Sorceress who kompresses all of time into one point.”

“Moon man who hates so much his hatred gets a physical manifestation.”

“Topless Sephiroth.”

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“Angry tick”

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
"Incorporeal world-spanning cloud of darkness that is inexplicably also a large green woman with snakes growing out of her"

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I haven't ever thought of FF8's setting in terms of "what if suddenly all air waves became unusable and there was suddenly no telecommunication" but that's an incredible idea that is so wasted

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Veib posted:

See also: Zeromus

Zeromus is just super saiyan Zemus, and you knew who Zemus was when you went to the moon for the second time after Golbez snaps out of it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

This makes FF8 sound much cooler than I remember it

FF8 is so close to being one of the coolest most interesting FF games and it just makes the wrong choice every single time. Like the explanation on why Zine culture is such a thing in game ties directly into a major antagonist and is a bit of smart and deftly handled world build but it just abandons that for the dumbest reveals. It does this over and over.

There's a society that went into ruin and just loving disappeared only 80 years ago and eventually you peace together it's from the LUnar Cry that happened last time. You see a lunar cry happen in game. No neither of these things are really connected and you don't ever really do anything with the cetra ruins or history even though it could really nicely tie into the main story and give you a heads up on WHY the Lunatic Pandora and the Lunar cries are such nightmare deals.

Nope, make all that poo poo both optional and easily missable and just basically have no one react to the actually apocalyptic even happening during our big emotional romance scene.

FF8 is a baffling game that I desperately want to like but it burns every bridge it builds before it even crosses them. It's a frustrating game.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I haven't ever thought of FF8's setting in terms of "what if suddenly all air waves became unusable and there was suddenly no telecommunication" but that's an incredible idea that is so wasted

I would have loved to see a scene of when she first took over the air waves. Just listening to some eurobeat and suddenly "FUCKYOUFUCKYOUYOURATSIWILLNOTDIEOUTHEREYOUWILLSEEMEAGAIN".

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sorceress Adel will never log off.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
FF8 is one of my favorite sorts of games where the plot is almost entirely ignorable but it has such a wealth of found story in the background that you feel like an archaeologist. Joins luminaries of the bad plot good background genre like Icewind Dale and Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Cleretic posted:

Having seen the original concept art for Memoria, I wonder how Necron was going to be implemented. Same "God of Magic" deal as Kefka, but for Mist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Is it ever explained why adel ingame looks like a buff, topless man-wizard instead of... you know, a lady wizard?