Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i see its total war fate stay night nod nod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Snooze Cruise posted:

i see its total war fate stay night nod nod

You have no idea.

Here is Joan with a whale skin

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 8, 2020

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008

Nephrite posted:

I may actually just make a thread about it, but if you haven't checked it out and like strategy RPGs, please give Brigandine: The Legend of Runersia a shot.

If you played the original Brigandine: The Legend of Forsena back in the 90s, this is a re-imagining of it. It isn't a remake, but it's an entirely new game that is basically a love letter to that game.

It's currently Switch-only, but there is a demo available as well.

What the absolute gently caress brigandine is one of my favorite games EVER. I still have my physical copy and get the itch to emulate it once a year or so.

Holy crap on toast. Thank you goon.

Edit: well now I’m downloading this and really really trying to tell myself not to take a sick day

Hyzenth1ay fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 10, 2020

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

GodDAMNit. The last (at least) 10 minutes of Pixel Puzzle Makeout League are unskippable flashing scenes, including two scenes that flash behind the nonogram you're trying to solve. This should be warned for, because there's no expectation for a dating sim to do this.

If you're photosensitive, do NOT buy this game.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Ok, I was doing the scroll and I found this:

"Discover the true power of rice in Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin! Take on hordes of demons in side-scrolling combat to reclaim the land as Sakuna, a spoiled harvest goddess banished to a dangerous island. Then, return to your mountain village and tend a field full of glorious rice."

But it is like 40 bux. So I'm like I have to know more.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

KirbyKhan posted:

"Discover the true power of rice in Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin! Take on hordes of demons in side-scrolling combat to reclaim the land as Sakuna, a spoiled harvest goddess banished to a dangerous island. Then, return to your mountain village and tend a field full of glorious rice."

It's a fuckin' Edelweiss game, it's gonna be cute and goofy and Japanese as poo poo with stupid hindbrain-tickling core combat and screen-clearing special attacks. I can't guarantee more than that, but Edelweiss reliable action game makers.

Also Edelweiss Games, a separate company, also exists, apparently just to screw with my google results, those fuckers.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Posted this in the steam thread, but realized this is probably the better place for it:

Anyone into shooters should try out Sector’s Edge. It is a free multiplayer PvP FPS that just released into early access. The hook is that all terrain is destructible, and you can build/dig while fighting (if you’ve played Ace of Spades, imagine building sort of like that, but attached to a much better game). It opens up really fun strategies like flanking someone through a wall in the middle of a fight, and gives a ton of variety to the maps since the geometry can end up so different match by match.

On top of that, it’s just a really well made shooter. Gunplay is great, movement is fluid, and it has a ton of nice quality of life features already. It really just ticks all the boxes for what you’d want a game like this to do, and player population has been solid enough that I haven’t had to wait more than 30s for a match.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/...0/Sectors_Edge/

E: also fwiw the building is a part of fighting, but it’s not like fortnite build fighting level.

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
It's not for everyone, but Dark Bestiary is out, and it's solid.

It does exactly what it says on the tin: it's a story-less turn-based strategy game where you can literally build any type of character you can imagine. There are somewhere around 100 skills (and you can buy all of them eventually), but you can only slot 8 at any given time.

While some of the skills require a certain weapon to be equipped - like piercing shot wants a ranged weapon - most are weapon-agnostic. Every stat except leadership is also build-agnostic, so your Might-based character can swap to be a spellcaster instantly as "Might" just equates to "damage", be that fireball or axe swing. And you can always respec for free, so leadership, which improves summons, can always be dumped.

Your character gains skill with each type of magic / weapon as he uses them (and it's a "he"), which is a fun way to see character growth, but it serves to discourage experimentation after a certain point. I'm fighting level 50 mobs and am maxed out on Healing and Summons, so me swapping into, say, Ice Magic right now would mean I'd need to go back to lower-level mobs even with my stats and equipment.

Loot is randomized, following the standard Blizz model of normal / magic / rare / epic / legendary. You can enchant gear with random item drops, or reinforce it via the blacksmith. It's not as huge of a loot pool as it looks at first, though, but level of the gear isn't a thing. It's either % based or needs to be reinforced a few times. So it's an interesting tradeoff: all rare longbows are based on _exactly_ the same stats, no matter your character level, and you improve them via reinforcement / gem slotting / enchanting. It means that you don't need to worry about finding a low-level legendary, which is good, but it also means the loot pool is a lot smaller than you think, which is less good.

Monsters are not created equal - some are easy buckets of hit points, others are horrible casting motherfuckers that summon extra mobs. But then again skill synergies are not created equal either, and you can always respec.

You play by essentially doing delves, the difficulty and length of which vary. You can always go back and do lower-level ones. Some are single-room; others are multi-room (which adds an interesting element of strategy as some skills persist between rooms and some do not).

The game is missing some VERY basic QOL features. It has a stash but you have to withdraw materials from your stash in order to use them, which is just absurd. Fortunately there's a "withdraw all" and "deposit all" feature but drat.

Edit: Also there's a game breaking bug where your summon stands on top of you and you have to hard-reset the game.

Again, not for everybody, but I wanted a low-stakes TBS and this is hitting a very sweet spot for me right now. Maybe hold off.

Hyzenth1ay fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 14, 2020

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Hyzenth1ay posted:

It's not for everyone, but Dark Bestiary is out, and it's solid.

It does exactly what it says on the tin: it's a story-less turn-based strategy game where you can literally build any type of character you can imagine. There are somewhere around 100 skills (and you can buy all of them eventually), but you can only slot 8 at any given time.

While some of the skills require a certain weapon to be equipped - like piercing shot wants a ranged weapon - most are weapon-agnostic. Every stat except leadership is also build-agnostic, so your Might-based character can swap to be a spellcaster instantly as "Might" just equates to "damage", be that fireball or axe swing. And you can always respec for free, so leadership, which improves summons, can always be dumped.

Your character gains skill with each type of magic / weapon as he uses them (and it's a "he"), which is a fun way to see character growth, but it serves to discourage experimentation after a certain point. I'm fighting level 50 mobs and am maxed out on Healing and Summons, so me swapping into, say, Ice Magic right now would mean I'd need to go back to lower-level mobs even with my stats and equipment.

Loot is randomized, following the standard Blizz model of normal / magic / rare / epic / legendary. You can enchant gear with random item drops, or reinforce it via the blacksmith. It's not as huge of a loot pool as it looks at first, though, but level of the gear isn't a thing. It's either % based or needs to be reinforced a few times. So it's an interesting tradeoff: all rare longbows are based on _exactly_ the same stats, no matter your character level, and you improve them via reinforcement / gem slotting / enchanting. It means that you don't need to worry about finding a low-level legendary, which is good, but it also means the loot pool is a lot smaller than you think, which is less good.

Monsters are not created equal - some are easy buckets of hit points, others are horrible casting motherfuckers that summon extra mobs. But then again skill synergies are not created equal either, and you can always respec.

You play by essentially doing delves, the difficulty and length of which vary. You can always go back and do lower-level ones. Some are single-room; others are multi-room (which adds an interesting element of strategy as some skills persist between rooms and some do not).

The game is missing some VERY basic QOL features. It has a stash but you have to withdraw materials from your stash in order to use them, which is just absurd. Fortunately there's a "withdraw all" and "deposit all" feature but drat.

Edit: Also there's a game breaking bug where your summon stands on top of you and you have to hard-reset the game.

Again, not for everybody, but I wanted a low-stakes TBS and this is hitting a very sweet spot for me right now. Maybe hold off.

This sounds very my poo poo, thank you for the steer.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
MannaRites is a weird Golden Axe style RPG with 1994 style DOS game graphics that I finished in about 4.5hrs yesterday. It's free and definitely worth checking out if you like sidescrolling fighting games and I guess what I'd describe as Willowcore fantasy.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

KirbyKhan posted:

https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1326702105684422656

I've played it for about 2 hours, it's fun!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
drat respect for that level of farming detail

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Phantom Brigade just came out in Early Access today on the Epic store. It's a funky turn-based tactical game with mecha that I've seen compared a lot to Frozen Synapse, although I've never actually played that. I got in the alpha a little late but have racked up 84 hours in 11 days and it's super loving fun. Lots of nitty-gritty mech customization and the actual combat is fluid and fun. It's got issues (targeting issues, almost all the components in the game don't have their actual effects communicated properly, along with some balance problems) but overall I've been having a blast and you should check it out. If you're allergic to the Epic store for some reason, it'll be out on Steam in a year or so.

https://twitter.com/PhantomBrigade_/status/1328413080695476227

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Phantom Brigade looks cool. I'm not allergic to Epic, but I am allergic to Early Access.

Is it multiplayer or singleplayer? The red and blue coloring of the robots kind of suggests multiplayer, but the narrative suggests single player, and nothing on the store page really points in either direction.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
That reminds me, I bought Frozen Synapse 2 but put off playing it until some of the more egregious bugs were fixed. I have no idea if they ever were, and I think Mode 7 has sort of folded in the meantime. I'm glad to finally see another game with the same sort of hook.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Thoom posted:

Phantom Brigade looks cool. I'm not allergic to Epic, but I am allergic to Early Access.

Is it multiplayer or singleplayer? The red and blue coloring of the robots kind of suggests multiplayer, but the narrative suggests single player, and nothing on the store page really points in either direction.

Single-player only.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Thoom posted:

all indications point to it being real rough right now. if you're allergic to alpha jank, give it a few months

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

all indications point to it being real rough right now. if you're allergic to alpha jank, give it a few months

Or a year when it comes on Steam! :)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

New RTS out: ICBM

quote:

ICBM is a real-time strategy game of nuclear destruction. Research new technologies, build up your nuclear stockpile and use a combination of ships, planes and missiles to strike at the heart of your opponents’ cities while keeping your population safe from harm.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I know it's Slitherine, but how did they manage to make DEFCON look so much worse after a decade and a half?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I know it's Slitherine
How do they even get away with calling themselves that, anyway? They're even based in the UK. You'd the Rowling estate would be all over that.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Cardiovorax posted:

How do they even get away with calling themselves that, anyway? They're even based in the UK. You'd the Rowling estate would be all over that.

I think if they were more successful Rowlings army of lawyers would be all over it

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

This is really good. It's what I always wanted Defcon to be like, with just that bit more depth. My only gripe so far is that deselecting naval units after you've moved them can be a bit of a hassle. Planning coordinated strikes then just sitting back and watch them play out is great (even though I'm terrible at it.) I like the aesthetic better than Defcon's, and seeing photos of the cities when you hover over them is a great touch. Setting satellite orbits is neat, too. Glad I took a punt on it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Barudak posted:

Folks, if you want a simple adventure/puzzle game with a unique gimmick then look no further than Carto. Im digging it even if, fundamentally, its not super complex. Available on Game Pass

I just came checking to see if this was mentioned since I saw it pop up on steam. Any idea how long it is? It's charming and I liked the demo a lot (took 10 or 15 minutes), but :20bux: seems steep for what feels like it'd probably be a short-ish game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I just came checking to see if this was mentioned since I saw it pop up on steam. Any idea how long it is? It's charming and I liked the demo a lot (took 10 or 15 minutes), but :20bux: seems steep for what feels like it'd probably be a short-ish game.
Howlongtobeat says it's about six hours on average, seven if you're being completionist about it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cardiovorax posted:

Howlongtobeat says it's about six hours on average, seven if you're being completionist about it.

:tipshat:
I always forget there are sites to track that. I'll put it on the wishlist for a sale at that length.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

:tipshat:
I always forget there are sites to track that. I'll put it on the wishlist for a sale at that length.
Yeah, it's a very useful resource and fairly reliable in my experience. It's one of those sites I pretty much always hit up before I commit to purchasing something.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

I posted a thread for this since it looked interesting.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3948882

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Haven just came out.

Looks like an exploration-focused RPG about a pair of runaway lovers trying to survive together on a strange planet.

I can't tell too much what the gameplay is about but it looks like it has a lot of cute relationship-focused story stuff :kimchi:. I'm probably gonna pick it up.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I really want to like Haven. Fingers crossed.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I noticed Haven just showed up on Xbox game pass for PC so if you have that you're all set already!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I played the demo earlier this year and you zoom around an alien planet collecting/cataloging stuff and getting into the rare casual RPG battle. Don't know how that translates over a full game but the demo was pleasant and cute.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Haven is made by the Furi devs and Furi is loving awesome so I have very high hopes even though they are completely different types of games

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Haven just came out.

Looks like an exploration-focused RPG about a pair of runaway lovers trying to survive together on a strange planet.

I can't tell too much what the gameplay is about but it looks like it has a lot of cute relationship-focused story stuff :kimchi:. I'm probably gonna pick it up.

Naruto running meets #relatable bantering protagonists? Sign me up!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Actually they're superman flying 1 foot off the ground or something

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I'm going to try out Haven but after watching a twitch stream I was getting the impression that someone wanted to make a video game with his potential dream waifu. I dunno it's weird.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The entire thing feels a bit like a dating sim visual novel in open-world RPG form, I guess.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Phogs is a really cute puzzle platformer but my brain is just struggling sometimes while doing it singleplayer.

In coop its a joy to play though.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

ghostinmyshell posted:

I'm going to try out Haven but after watching a twitch stream I was getting the impression that someone wanted to make a video game with his potential dream waifu. I dunno it's weird.

I played the demo and didn't get this feeling. The banter felt pretty good and not weird at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ghostinmyshell posted:

Cardiovorax posted:

The entire thing feels a bit like a dating sim visual novel in open-world RPG form, I guess.

goons still recoiling from all social interaction and intimacy I see