Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Majere posted:

I like punching stupid aliens in the face so they explode in a big fireball and then while standing in a literal pillar of flame shoot unlimited lightning gun bullets causing more explosions of chain lightning and pillars of fire.
theoretically if i give him a novel to respond to he'll have to shut up for a bit to read it all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Sometimes i dont get the weapon stats.
For example my truthteller has Volatile Launch or Coutnermass for slot 1.
Volatile "greatly increases" blast radius, coutnermass doesnt mention it, but the "blast radius" bar doesnt move whatever i slot.

Is the "greatly" so neglitble it doesnt show, or is it there and doesnt show, or what does it do?
Why dont i get numbers?
I can read numbers, i dont need bars to compare in length to figure out which is higher.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Sometimes i dont get the weapon stats.
For example my truthteller has Volatile Launch or Coutnermass for slot 1.
Volatile "greatly increases" blast radius, coutnermass doesnt mention it, but the "blast radius" bar doesnt move whatever i slot.

Is the "greatly" so neglitble it doesnt show, or is it there and doesnt show, or what does it do?
Why dont i get numbers?
I can read numbers, i dont need bars to compare in length to figure out which is higher.
It gets even more esoteric than that if you're talking about blast radius.

There's hard caps, so even if the blast radius is increased, there's a hard cap at how large the explosion radius is for grenade launchers. Blast radius will increase the radius at which proximity grenades will explode, but in making the blast radius larger, the grenade launcher itself does less damage. That's why, back when aggressive frame/spike/full court launchers were a good dps option, you would want to minimize blast radius to get the most impact damage you could.

That blast radius metric also doesn't apply to effects such as concussive or blinding. So, a blinding grenade can hit enemies at surprising distance from the blast, but the blast itself won't kill anything unless it's almost a direct impact. However, due to the radius being nuked by the conc/blinding nade perk, it still does a good amount of damage on direct or near-direct hits.

For Truth Teller, this hard cap is 55. I have a masterworked TT with blast radius in my vault that won't budge above 55.

edit: This is why back when HCs got nerfed leading into Shadowkeep, the range stat stopped being important for HCs. The harsh falloff that occurred meant that additional range stat offered you so little range that investing in stability or handling was usually the better option.

Sestze fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Nov 21, 2020

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The idea is that if they don't give you numbers, you won't get all obsessive about minmaxing.

So instead people get obsessive about trying to work out what the stats are from external websites and datamining and working it out by hand.

Which is better because

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The idea is that if they don't give you numbers, you won't get all obsessive about minmaxing.

So instead people get obsessive about trying to work out what the stats are from external websites and datamining and working it out by hand.

Which is better because
honestly im more annoyed that i have a truth teller that has, effectively, a wasted masterwork slot because that 55 is hard-capped. You can't get above 55, and if you swap to conc/blinding, the blast radius drops to the minimum.

i should've never looked it up :(

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Bobby Deluxe posted:

From the same guys who got excited about making people figure out insanely obnoxious puzzles or gigantic labyrinths with zero clues?

Far more likely that they genuinely like the idea of "engaging" players by having them fill out massive excel tables and theorycraft endlessly on reddit.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

This argument owns lol

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

"The more people engage with the community around the game, the more they like it," Luke Smith says , pulling the cords on his hoodie tight. "Therefore if we force them to spend hours on external community websites instead of playing," He says, only his eyes and nose visible, "They will like the game the most." He kicks his feet in glee as the hole closes over his face, and the boardroom all look at their notes awkwardly.

Mark Noseworthy slams a fist into the table and stands. "This is how we win."

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
So in short, if the bar doesnt move it doesnt improve the gun?

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Yolomon Wayne posted:

So in short, if the bar doesnt move it doesnt improve the gun?
Exactly.

There's also a hidden hard cap to certain stats on a gun. Slug shotguns are a good example of this. No matter how hard you go into the paint with stacking range buffs on First In Last Out, there is a cap of 12 meters, 12.5 with opening shot. So once you're past a certain point with range perks, a range masterwork would be useless.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Does the raid open tonight?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Few hours from now actually.

Orv
May 4, 2011
10AM PST.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Blast Radius doesn't increase the distance that proximity goes off. It increases the size of the explosion so when it explodes, your target is closer to the center of the explosion so it takes more damage (which is relevant because proxy nades will explode pretty far away from enemies). This is only important in PvP because you want to increase the likelihood of one shots from purple GLs and the reduction in Impact damage means nothing.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Eej posted:

Blast Radius doesn't increase the distance that proximity goes off. It increases the size of the explosion so when it explodes, your target is closer to the center of the explosion so it takes more damage (which is relevant because proxy nades will explode pretty far away from enemies). This is only important in PvP because you want to increase the likelihood of one shots from purple GLs and the reduction in Impact damage means nothing.
thanks for the correction

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Gambit quests for the splinters or what ever were not too bad.

Seems like the rewards for doing them are not too great for the amount of effort they take?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Sestze posted:

Exactly.

There's also a hidden hard cap to certain stats on a gun. Slug shotguns are a good example of this. No matter how hard you go into the paint with stacking range buffs on First In Last Out, there is a cap of 12 meters, 12.5 with opening shot. So once you're past a certain point with range perks, a range masterwork would be useless.

And where do i see the numbers?
Lemme guess, 3rd party adds/software, but which ones?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
New raid is nonstop void shields & overload champions.

Little known fact, there is an auto rifle called "Gnawing Hunger" that checks both these boxes. Get one today!

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Yolomon Wayne posted:

And where do i see the numbers?
Lemme guess, 3rd party adds/software, but which ones?
I pick up the information from watching videos from various content creators and also looking at DIM.

wish there was an easier way but, eh, nope

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

New raid is nonstop void shields

my time

is now

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mesadoram posted:

Gambit quests for the splinters or what ever were not too bad.

Seems like the rewards for doing them are not too great for the amount of effort they take?

Do you mean the Fragments that give you free bonuses like 20% more damage for freezing things? They're like the most powerful buffs in the game...

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
raid spoilers: taniks????

also, the drop pod animation is the smartest loving thing bungie has done in a long time, super economical while being extremely cool

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Eej posted:

Do you mean the Fragments that give you free bonuses like 20% more damage for freezing things? They're like the most powerful buffs in the game...

Oh poo poo, I must have missed that. I got an extra one on my hunter, I should probably get that one...

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Raid seems loving neat

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Re: the quest to get Salvation's Grip

I like Ghost's take on Drifter. :clint:

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

The lead up to the final encounter with Taniks is really cool.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Why is Taniks back again we killed him twice.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Too dumb to die. The perfection companion for Guardians.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

imagine being revived by some unknown cosmic entity over and over just to drop guns for power-hungry space wizards

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

goblin week posted:

Why is Taniks back again we killed him twice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNTLC_uiGFA

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://twitter.com/Bungie/status/1330292991249018881

pack it up everyone

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
And with that, the sword quest seemed to unlock.

Edit: And a bunch more...

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Clovis is Banshee.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Mesadoram posted:

And with that, the sword quest seemed to unlock.
Edit: And a bunch more...
Heroic bounties on Europa

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So what's the idea of the raid? Fallen are making exos and found nukes?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

So what's the idea of the raid? Fallen are making exos and found nukes?

The Exo's all came from a clovis bray facility the deep stone crypt on europa (or at least the original tech)

The fallen now eramis is gone are tryign to break in.

You need to stop them.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Stormgale posted:

The Exo's all came from a clovis bray facility the deep stone crypt on europa (or at least the original tech)

The fallen now eramis is gone are trying to break in.

You need to stop them.

Pfft come on. What could the fallen do with an entire army of combat robots?

(Not gonna lie, that would be pretty awesome having a war at the tower)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mesadoram posted:

Pfft come on. What could the fallen do with an entire army of combat robots?

(Not gonna lie, that would be pretty awesome having a war at the tower)

Brain upload themselves into human exo shells to get rid of their crippling ether addictions.

(thereby saving Bungie from having to make civilian / non-combat Fallen NPC art assets for the inevitable shared social space when the D1 tower is rebuilt)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Every Fallen raid is about shooing them out of our trash bins so they don't make any sweet loot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
The sword is interesting. I cant tell if it actually does more damage than my guillotine .