Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

I wonder if John Cena will ever reach the heights of Rock/Batista. I’m gonna guess not cause he’s a fuckin weirdo.

The new Suicide Squad is being directed by James Gunn and Cena's character is going to have an HBOMax spin-off show so I think he is one commercially unsuccessful sci-fi movie away (ala Batista in Blade Runner 2049 and Rock in Southland Tales) from being on that level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Invalid Validation posted:

I wonder if John Cena will ever reach the heights of Rock/Batista. I’m gonna guess not cause he’s a fuckin weirdo.

He's been very wisely working his rear end off to break out in the Chinese market so chances are he'll pass Batista and he could potentially even pass Rock in terms of being a global box office draw. China is gonna drive the movie market over the next few decades.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
https://twitter.com/ultrasliv/status/1330196764989796352

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wonder when her contract is up

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Wonder when her contract is up

She signed a new deal not long before Miro got released

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lana seems like a good person, and it sucks that the only way they can think to get her over is to make her look like a joke every week.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

is pepsi ok posted:

He's been very wisely working his rear end off to break out in the Chinese market so chances are he'll pass Batista and he could potentially even pass Rock in terms of being a global box office draw. China is gonna drive the movie market over the next few decades.

Absolutely not

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If China drives the movie market then where is my Warcraft II movie? :colbert:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Codependent Poster posted:

Lana seems like a good person, and it sucks that the only way they can think to get her over is to make her look like a joke every week.

there's zero chance they're doing this to actually try to get her over, especially when they have exactly one strategy for getting a blonde woman over in general

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

MassRafTer posted:

The Rock is at his core a loving weirdo who acts like a lovable normie so I doubt Cena being weird on scripted reality shows will really hurt him. He will probably do better than Batista in starring roles though.

Batista doesn't seem particulary interested in starring roles. He's gone YOLO on wanting to learn acting from cool people in minor roles. When he does pop up starring in the odd would-be DTV movie, I take it as him having learned a very important lesson from one Sir Michael Caine.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The China market is driving in the same sense that anyone who wants to give a film a hundred million dollars will drive a film and production. Cena being someone that is growing in popularity in China though certainly helps films that cast him being considered recipients for these big checks though,. But Hollywood has been pretty quick to disregard the market completely if that check isn't coming.

---

Re: Undertaker talk

Like fourteen years ago we were having the "is Undertaker a draw" debate here and it ended with me emailing Meltzer and him saying yes and that it was not debatable so there's that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rick posted:

Re: Undertaker talk

Like fourteen years ago we were having the "is Undertaker a draw" debate here and it ended with me emailing Meltzer and him saying yes and that it was not debatable so there's that.

Rick’s got the scoops brother

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
I'm sure Cena will continue to do just fine in his acting career. He doesn't need to be The Rock. Also The Rock's films do huge numbers in China, so I'm not sure Cena will somehow find a tricky way to usurp him there.

Jerusalem posted:

Adding Bayley to the Women's Team immediately lifted my interest in that team, she just automatically made the entire team dynamic fascinating. Especially in contrast to the wretched dogshit that is the Raw team.

Yeah. It should be really interesting to watch Bayley drive the team dynamic over the next few weeks in the build to Survivor Series? What's that? The pay per view is tomorrow? Oh.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

DeepDickPizza posted:

I'm sure Cena will continue to do just fine in his acting career. He doesn't need to be The Rock. Also The Rock's films do huge numbers in China, so I'm not sure Cena will somehow find a tricky way to usurp him there.

Speaking fluent Mandarin is a pretty good trick.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Undertaker was a star and a draw but not as big of a deal as WWE wishes he was same way HHH was a star and a draw but not the way HHH wishes he was.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I personally always saw Taker as having inherited the 90s version of the position that Hogan and Savage occupied in pop culture, as the generic loud shouty wrestler guy. But in Taker’s case, it was overdramatic and Goth and 90s as gently caress. Austin and Rock had name brand value as themselves, but Taker was the guy who would get parodied in Superman comics or on cartoons if they weren’t doing a straight up Hogan knockoff.

Maybe I’m wrong, but that was what I had noticed from people who weren’t into wrestling.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jesus Christ, this is just depressing :smith:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Where's that Lana interview from?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Rick posted:

The China market is driving in the same sense that anyone who wants to give a film a hundred million dollars will drive a film and production. Cena being someone that is growing in popularity in China though certainly helps films that cast him being considered recipients for these big checks though,. But Hollywood has been pretty quick to disregard the market completely if that check isn't coming.

Some of the shine seems to have come off of the China market for movies since they still haven't got past the whole "you can release a movie here but you have to do it through a Chinese distribution company, so you only get 25% of the box office" thing.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Rarity posted:

Judging by the WWE watermark i'm guessing it's the upcoming WWE Chronical: Lana, which given how awful that clip is it makes me wonder what worse stuff they cut out.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Rarity posted:

Her new WWE Network documentary.

It goes to something that a wrestler said to me the other day: WWE fans are *so* much more cruel to wrestlers on social media than other fans that it's astounding.

Also: That weird WWE dual reality where they acknowledge loving up CJ's life without actually acknowledging it's their fault...it's so hosed up and it creeps me out every time they do something like that in a documentary.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

davidbix posted:

It goes to something that a wrestler said to me the other day: WWE fans are *so* much more cruel to wrestlers on social media than other fans that it's astounding

They’re absolute loving lunatics from anything I’ve seen.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

davidbix posted:

It goes to something that a wrestler said to me the other day: WWE fans are *so* much more cruel to wrestlers on social media than other fans that it's astounding.

Also: That weird WWE dual reality where they acknowledge loving up CJ's life without actually acknowledging it's their fault...it's so hosed up and it creeps me out every time they do something like that in a documentary.

So I don’t watch. Never will. So dumb question:

Majority of what I read on the dreaded social media is that she still wants to be in WWE, just misses Rusev/Miro backstage, is battling wear and tear but fans state that she is being spotlighted and this is all part of the push.

But because she is on TV it’s featured and is a push? Is that how this is operating right now?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

ICR posted:

So I don’t watch. Never will. So dumb question:

Majority of what I read on the dreaded social media is that she still wants to be in WWE, just misses Rusev/Miro backstage, is battling wear and tear but fans state that she is being spotlighted and this is all part of the push.

But because she is on TV it’s featured and is a push? Is that how this is operating right now?

This is how WWE Brain operates, yes.

You can be on WWE TV literally eating dogshit week after week, but you're on national television, so therefore this is a push.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Oh Snapple! posted:

This is how WWE Brain operates, yes.

You can be on WWE TV literally eating dogshit week after week, but you're on national television, so therefore this is a push.

I figured. Just wanted to ensure I’m not alone in the thinking.

This is a time where it makes me sad there’s only basically 3 North American promotions that you can work at as a professional wrestler. Add in the Japanese market but well, covid still exists.

It’s not like you have a choice on where to go here. You just gotta take it. That really stinks. I didn’t really fully comprehend this even as recent as this year and would be like “WHY THE gently caress DO PEOPLE WANT TO WORK HERE!!?!” but I get it. It pays and you only got here, AEW and Impact.

The rest don’t pay poo poo.

I guess I really hope more promotions take off so options truly are available and maybe another new promotion exists that can offer great pay and that TV time for those looking for the exposure.

3 just ain’t enough yet, but maybe it can be if they can continue to be profitable and offer the same exposure and pay that WWE can. I really do hope for that.

Because this is abusive.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's cool that the New Day are officially less cool than

Slapjack

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It's also worth stating that part of the reason why 'getting any TV time at all' is considered a push is that there's dozens of good to fantastic performers employed by WWE that aren't being used at all. People who'd be stars in other promotions (or literally were stars) just sit in catering, collecting paychecks and wasting away.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

davidbix posted:

It's a cult. Cults attack anyone in it who isn't 110% dedicated and the worst fans think they're also in the cult.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

flatluigi posted:

It's also worth stating that part of the reason why 'getting any TV time at all' is considered a push is that there's dozens of good to fantastic performers employed by WWE that aren't being used at all. People who'd be stars in other promotions (or literally were stars) just sit in catering, collecting paychecks and wasting away.

Wrestlers that WWE creative currently has nothing for: Andrade, Aleister Black, Mercedes Martinez, Naomi, Mickie James, Isiaih "Swerve" Scott, KUSHIDA

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
It’s mind-blowing to consider that between Raw/Smackdown/NXT they have 100+ men on the roster and nearly 50 women and the product is still stale as hell.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Rarity posted:

Wrestlers that WWE creative currently has nothing for: Andrade, Aleister Black, Mercedes Martinez, Naomi, Mickie James, Isiaih "Swerve" Scott, KUSHIDA

Wasn't Martinez a member of the Slapjack group until she said she maybe didn't want to die?

edit: I legit forgot if Retribution is the name of the group or of the lady in the group that wasn't Martinez.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

davidbix posted:

Squared circle is going on and on about how terrible fans are and ignoring the fact that her husband being fired during a pandemic probably is what's playing three biggest part in all this.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

Wasn't Martinez a member of the Slapjack group until she said she maybe didn't want to die?

edit: I legit forgot if Retribution is the name of the group or of the lady in the group that wasn't Martinez.

yeah

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

is pepsi ok posted:

Speaking fluent Mandarin is a pretty good trick.

Yeah. Everyone knows he speaks fluent Mandarin, but how exactly do you think that pushes him to be a bigger star than The Rock? Will he film Hollywood movies in Mandarin? Will he go shoot films over there? Does doing press conferences in the native language really make him eclipse the biggest action star on the planet?

Great for him to expand his horizons and learn a valuable skill, but I really don't see how it pushes him past Dwayne's marketability, even in the Chinese market.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Mace, (from retribution), is poo poo. I watch UpUpDownDown, and he is a knob. No fun, not charismatic, but he thinks he is both.

I boo him and all he stands for.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
They could have the best wrestlers in history, but Vince is using thousand dollar buckets of finger paint. Because of the way wealth moves in our country, success in the 90s means that he can coast probably until death.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

Wrestling fans can be really bad but I really don't think this is true. Athletes in other sports suffer from a ton of abuse, death threats, often on a nightly basis! You also see musicians dealing with some really wild stalkers.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

MassRafTer posted:

Wrestling fans can be really bad but I really don't think this is true. Athletes in other sports suffer from a ton of abuse, death threats, often on a nightly basis! You also see musicians dealing with some really wild stalkers.

i mean any famous person is going to be subject to a torrent of abuse, doubly so if its a woman.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

So WWE makes her miserable, lets her cry on camera and then profits from her misery by releasing it in documentary form

Sounds about right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

JT Smiley posted:

Squared circle is going on and on about how terrible fans are and ignoring the fact that her husband being fired during a pandemic probably is what's playing three biggest part in all this.
Yeah, but the harassment must suck, too.

MassRafTer posted:

To be clear: I was saying compared to other wrestling fans, not compared to fan cultures in general. That while in other notable promotions there was little to no social media abuse from fans, but that being in WWE led to a bunch of super personal and hosed up attacks on Twitter from WWE fans.