Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I forgot it is labor day weekend and i showed up to my watch and its a mess.

Also quick update on this, we found a life-raft in our AOR at the beginning of September and we correlated that it came from that FV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Currently working on hour number 6 on a case and it seems it will go for 6 more hours.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Jesus christ this case

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
gently caress, dude. :(

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Imagine if you will you are a small boat crew that has been working for 6 hours straight because its labor day weekend and people are hosed up and bullshit. You finally get on scene to a case that will take at least 4-6 more hours to finish because its more than 30 NM away AND its a complicated tow because the Vessel rudder is stuck hard to one side.

Also imagine the owner of said vessel acting like a petulant spoiled child, constantly tells you how to do your job, screams at you on channel 16 and screams expletives, slurs and falsehoods at you.

By the time i left the watch floor they still had 2 more hours on that tow.

gently caress that guy

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

ElMaligno posted:

Imagine if you will you are a small boat crew that has been working for 6 hours straight because its labor day weekend and people are hosed up and bullshit. You finally get on scene to a case that will take at least 4-6 more hours to finish because its more than 30 NM away AND its a complicated tow because the Vessel rudder is stuck hard to one side.

Also imagine the owner of said vessel acting like a petulant spoiled child, constantly tells you how to do your job, screams at you on channel 16 and screams expletives, slurs and falsehoods at you.

By the time i left the watch floor they still had 2 more hours on that tow.

gently caress that guy

Please tell me he can be charged with something.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

McNally posted:

Please tell me he can be charged with something.

Potentially an FCC channel 16 violation, which i will bring it up to my command.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ElMaligno posted:

Potentially an FCC channel 16 violation, which i will bring it up to my command.

What’s the guys deal? Fishing vessel?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

nwin posted:

What’s the guys deal? Fishing vessel?

fishing vessel guy, sailing a sailing vessel solo.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ElMaligno posted:

fishing vessel guy, sailing a sailing vessel solo.

Awesome. Hopefully he fails his post sar boarding or gets belligerent.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I was so loving busy last night and it was so goddam smoky you can call me a pit-roasted chorizo

Edit: I loved the poo poo out of last night

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 8, 2020

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
Wooooo toxic gas leak blown way out of proportion. 5 hours later hey can you ask the guys to stay late to wrap up?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

sounds like a CDO got too micromanagy.

Speaking of CDOs, Royce Heckerndorn. Hard motherfucking BMCM Surfman and Sector San Francisco CDO just lost his battle against cancer. He has been the only legit good CDO that knew his poo poo and wasnt a motherfucker micromanager .

Rest in piss.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

sounds like a CDO got too micromanagy.

Speaking of CDOs, Royce Heckerndorn. Hard motherfucking BMCM Surfman and Sector San Francisco CDO just lost his battle against cancer. He has been the only legit good CDO that knew his poo poo and wasnt a motherfucker micromanager .

Rest in piss.

drat Royce was good people. gently caress cancer.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Sector emailed a COVID survey.

My TL;DR to them was "poo poo is hosed up and bullshit, nothing you can do about it except to stress about mental health. Also earthquakes are still happening in Puerto Rico. Also things are not magically get better once midnight rings on 31 December"

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Lol partial quarantine. One dude may have Covid. We made a gym. Shits about to get real dumb cause the command is freaking out but at the same time not following their own plan. Its 3 ring circus time.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Sweet-I can retire from the coast guard now. Well, at least I’m eligible. Selected for O-4 so I’ve got sanctuary to stay until 20.

nwin fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 25, 2020

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

nwin posted:

Sweet-I can retire from the coast guard now.

Come back as a civvie :yeshaha:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Eason the Fifth posted:

Come back as a civvie :yeshaha:

Eh...if the location is right I probably wouldn’t mind a gs13 gig somewhere. Now that the weight is off my shoulders regarding the promotion we’ll see if I stay past 20 or not.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

nwin posted:

Eh...if the location is right I probably wouldn’t mind a gs13 gig somewhere. Now that the weight is off my shoulders regarding the promotion we’ll see if I stay past 20 or not.

Show me the way.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Melthir posted:

Show me the way.

Heh I’m only eligible to stay in until 20-I can see that I worded that kinda hosed up. I was selected for lcdr so i lm guaranteed retirement now. I’ve still got 5.5 years left.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

nwin posted:

Heh I’m only eligible to stay in until 20-I can see that I worded that kinda hosed up. I was selected for lcdr so i lm guaranteed retirement now. I’ve still got 5.5 years left.

Imo do the math on whether it’s more worth it to buy back your service once you pin on / and go for long civ career (because it’s not hard to hit 15 or even SES w/ an o career behind you) vice retiring if you have good prospects civil service wise.

It’s not always a straightforward answer because you lose some poo poo if you take the retirement upfront. 15 years is a little late to make that call but at the same time if you’re shooting for gs15 or higher as the ending state of your career you’re in it for the long game

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

krispykremessuck posted:

Imo do the math on whether it’s more worth it to buy back your service once you pin on / and go for long civ career (because it’s not hard to hit 15 or even SES w/ an o career behind you) vice retiring if you have good prospects civil service wise.

It’s not always a straightforward answer because you lose some poo poo if you take the retirement upfront. 15 years is a little late to make that call but at the same time if you’re shooting for gs15 or higher as the ending state of your career you’re in it for the long game

I’m going to do the 20 and get the pension/insurance. That’s not even a question at this point. The main thing will be if I stay in past 20. Kids will be 7 and 5 when I hit 20 and I’d like to not move them around a ton, but I should have just gotten looked at for CDR, so if I make that it could definitely be worth sticking around for another 3 years. I’d be completely fine shutting my brain off and getting a 13 position somewhere for a while after that.

Who knows what will happen-right now I’m just glad that I’ve got tenure and I feel like I’m playing with house money for a while instead of always drumming poo poo up for the next promotion. This next LT OER is going to be a loving snooze fest though.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

I’m going to do the 20 and get the pension/insurance. That’s not even a question at this point. The main thing will be if I stay in past 20. Kids will be 7 and 5 when I hit 20 and I’d like to not move them around a ton, but I should have just gotten looked at for CDR, so if I make that it could definitely be worth sticking around for another 3 years. I’d be completely fine shutting my brain off and getting a 13 position somewhere for a while after that.

Who knows what will happen-right now I’m just glad that I’ve got tenure and I feel like I’m playing with house money for a while instead of always drumming poo poo up for the next promotion. This next LT OER is going to be a loving snooze fest though.

Oh yeah I forgot you had kids. That changes the math p significantly on its own. Glad you’re still making it

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

krispykremessuck posted:

Oh yeah I forgot you had kids. That changes the math p significantly on its own. Glad you’re still making it

Thanks man-what are you doing now?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

Thanks man-what are you doing now?

Program / avail / financial management stuff. I also for some reason spaced that you had commissioned at first which is another thing that changes the math on that a lot.

Imo for the passive audience if you’re at 10ish years (enlisted)and hating your life it’s worth considering jumping ship now if you have a good shot at starting around the 11/12 range. Leave works different if you retire from the mil and it’s gonna be a real slap on the balls/vulva if you get out and only earn 1 day/month for the first three years, and buyback for creditable service works differently for retirees too

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Any of you guys have experience with tuition assistance?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ElMaligno posted:

Yes

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

ElMaligno posted:

Yes, but not in the last decade.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I'm thinking of getting a masters degree, specifically in Systems Engineering and I may as well start while I'm still in.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ElMaligno posted:

I'm thinking of getting a masters degree, specifically in Systems Engineering and I may as well start while I'm still in.

So what’s your question? I believe TA will still pay up to$250/credit hour up to a certain amount per year. Also look into the CGMA supplemental education grant which will cover other costs like books/supplies each year (another $500 a year I think). Your eso should be able to fill in the blanks.

If you can get a degree you like from a university you want to go to while maintaining your job performance, then go for it.

My main pause against people getting a degree is when they think it’s more than it might be worth. Getting an MBA from American Military University is not going to open any doors to become a premier investment banker. However, some people get really offended when I tell them that. If you want to check a box for OCS or something, then go for whatever school you want with whatever degree program you want. Just realize you’re limiting yourself to those options (ie, don’t be pissed off when you decided to get a degree in basket weaving to check a box and apply for OCS, but then you changed your mind and are angry because no civilian jobs want to hire you).

Systems engineering? I couldn’t tell you anything about that. To start I’d make sure your bachelors degree lines up well and you don’t have to take a bunch of prerequisites. One girl I knew was a LTJG with an English degree and wanted to get into an engineering program. Schools looked at her transcripts and told her she’d need to take a ton of math before they would accept her into the engineer program.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Arizona state university has an Online masters of Systems Engineer, its more about being a manager of engineers than an engineer if that makes sense.

I have a Chemistry degree with a piss poor GPA of 2.70, I may as well try to get in and use the tuition assistance now instead of using my education benefits later.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I got told i am not a good fit for their engineering program so back to square one. also knocking my ambitions a couple pegs and looking for teaching degrees

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Have you taken a GMAT or whatever engineering programs want? Good scores on that, plus a conversation about how as a longtime veteran you're not the same immature person you were as an undergrad student X years ago (the longer the better), might help get past that GPA. Some schools are also more military friendly than others (without being degree mills).

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Godholio posted:

Have you taken a GMAT or whatever engineering programs want? Good scores on that, plus a conversation about how as a longtime veteran you're not the same immature person you were as an undergrad student X years ago (the longer the better), might help get past that GPA. Some schools are also more military friendly than others (without being degree mills).

They straight up went "Naw" and it absolutely killed any momentum I had towards getting that degree.

on the more positive side i had a long conversation with the wife with what i could study

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Whelp diverting to Florida getting ready for possible hurricane response.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

loving broke rear end boat.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

see, there's your problem - you shouldn't have cracked that.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Melthir posted:

loving broke rear end boat.

someone didnt apply the proper lube.

in other news my marks/evaluations are better this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Whelp, I got to go buy some new poo poo. Got pulled aside last night and told im sitting at #12 for MKC on the November test.