Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

CommonShore posted:

It’s a pay per view! It’s UFC 255 Breakdown

Well what do we have here…

For the Flyweight Championship
Deiveson Figueiredo vs Alex Perez
Well I’ve been warming up on Deiveson, mostly due to LobsterMobster producing receipts that he seems to irl be a well-rounded person with lots of interests including being a chef and a hairstylist, and he has a pet water buffalo. We last saw him put two consecutive hurtings on Joey B ( :smith: ) for the flyweight title, but having missed weight in the first one, he only became champ with the second win. It’s a shame actually that we never got to see Deiveson against Johnson, because Deiveson is a really well rounded fighter with powerful hands and a strong submission game – he only has one UFC win by decision.

Perez I’m less familiar with, but he is the first contender series product to make it to a title fight. He has a win over Deiveson’s only loss (Formiga, by leg kick tko!), but a loss to Benavidez (see above). Perez is a good striker who backs his game up with good strangles.

Normally I’d give the experience advantage to the champ, but Perez has been in the game a very long time, even having taken a run as the Tachi Palace champion. This looks like a fun fight. Note that both fighters have missed weight at flyweight before, even in title fights, so the scale is a foe too.

For the Flyweight Championship
Valentia Shevchenko vs Jennifer Maia

Bullet Valentina is the cruel queen of a small pond. She’s good at fighting, having probably been the closest of any fighter to dethroning Amanda Nunes, but I don’t think she’s as good as her fans say (I contend the Nunes fights was a stylistic matchup heavily in Val’s favour :words: ). Anyway, she’s almost as good as MMA kickboxers get, and she found stopping power at 125 lbs, though she has picked up a couple submissions here and there in the UFC too. Last time out she TKOed Katyln “Blonde Fighter” Chookagian in a one-sided rear end kicking.

Even though “Bullet” Valentina is overrated, Maia is still a big underdog. She’s the former Invicta champion, with two title defences there, but she has more or less looked mediocre in the UFC, going 3-2, with losses to former Val victims Chookagian and Liz Carmouche. She brings a beefy 1-fight winning streak to the championship fight. Why is she even here? Well former #1 contender Jojo Calderwood decided to stay active and ended up being the first opponent Maia has ever finished outside of a Brazilian squash match when the now #1 contender snagged an arm bar. Maia brings some BJJ credentials and grit. She will need every bit of that.

Welterweight Mike Perry vs Tim Means
Now this looks fun. Mike Perry is a garbage person brawler with an iron dome and tons of personal problems. Tim “Dirty Bird” Means is a tall lanky journeyman who is a threat in pretty much every way, but whose chin has been cracked a few times. Tim’s biggest advantage in this fight is that he has a much higher fight IQ (and regular IQ) than Perry, who literally auctioned off the right to corner him in this match.

Katlyn “Blonde Fighter” Chookagian vs Cynthia Calvillo
Blonde Fighter bounced back to her aforementioned loss to Val by beating the crap out of Val’s sister, but then getting body shot KOed by my girl Jessica Andrade. She drives me bonkers as a fighter, actually. She has an extremely legit BJJ brown belt, and against mini Shevchenko she used her top game to great effect, but then she mostly just does long range point kickboxing. The UFC isn’t doing her any favours by booking her against Calvillo, who is looking like a future title contender. She’s 9-1-1, 6-1-1 in the UFC, having bounced around between repeatedly missing weight at strawweight and fighting at flyweight (actually, in half of her UFC fights either her or her opponent has missed…). Her lone loss is to Carla Esparza, and she drew against Marina Rodriguez last December. Last time out she put a very one-sided 5 round beating on Jessica Eye. She’s basically a top game grappler too.

Maurício “Shogun” Rua vs Paul Craig
Yeah Shogun is still fighting. Believe it or not, he’s 5-1-1 since 2014. His last fight was a slog of a 3 round split decision against Rogério, who promptly retired afterward. We know who Shogun is. Paul Craig is the true Scotsman who has a draw against Shogun – this is a rematch. I’d call him a lower-tier light heavyweight, but he does own a 3-4:59 triangle submission of Analaev (the guy who smashed Cutelaba, and that’s his only loss)

Prelims
:siren:Flyweight Brandon Brandon vs Moreno Royval
Moreno is a hot-and-cold grappler who is 5-2-1 UFC. He got onto the big stage via the TUF: Flyweight Contender season, but made his UFC debut early to upset Louis Smolka on short notice. His last two fights are decision wins against Formiga and Kai Kara-France – not shabby at all. Plus he’s only 26. Royval is a LFA product who submitted Kara-France and Tim Elliott in his two UFC appearances. His last loss was to Casey Kenney in LFA. This is a rad fight.

Pay attention to this, because if someone in the main event withdraws or maybe even misses weight, Royval could likely be moved up to the top of the card.

:shrug:Middleweight Joaquin Buckley vs Jordan Wright
Buckley is the guy who did that big jump kick flippy KO that everyone got excited for. He’s 1-1 now in the UFC, with a KO loss to Kevin Holland before that. Wright is a very cornfed looking technically undefeated fighter who has fought in LFA and Alaska FC, but who also picked up a NC on the Contender Series (was a loss but his opponent had a toke). In August he cut the crap out of Ike Villaneuva’s head with a big knee in what was shaping up to be a good fight that ended early. I expect to see Buckley take ridiculous risks this fight and sell out and do something dumb so I guess that’s worth watching.

Women’s Flyweight Antonina Shevchenko vs Ariane Lipski
Antonina isn’t as good as Valentina. She came in on the contender series and she’s 2-2 UFC since with no real wins of note. Lipski is a Brazilian who is also 2-2 in the UFC with no real wins of note, but her last time out she kneebarred a girl in Abu Dhabi, and I kinda remember that and it was pretty sweet.

:siren:Welterweight Daniel Rodriguez vs Nicolas Dalby
Rodriguez is a Contender Series product who is 13-1 overall. In his UFC debut he submitted Tim Means and then in August he KOed Dwight Grant. Those are both very good wins. This is probably a showcase fight for him because Dalby is a crazy Dane whose main qualification is that he has no sense of self preservation. Dalby got submitted by Jesse Ronson last time out (which is complicated rankings-wise for reasons I wont get into) but had a win over Cowboy Oliveira before that. Dalby also had one fight go NC (too much blood on mat) (vs Ross Houston, Cage Warriors FC 106 – worth watching). Dalby is probably going to have a bad night.

Early Prelims
Welterweight Alan Jouban vs Jared Gooden
Jouban is a handsomeman with well-rounded skills, but he might be headed back to modelling soon. He’s 1-3 in his last 4, with his lone win being against Ben Saunders. Jared Gooden is making his UFC debut as a 17-4 fighter. Fortunately for Jouban, he doesn’t really have any wins of note. He has a loss to one-time prospect Mike Graves in 2019.

Middleweight Kyle Daukaus vs Dustin Stoltzfus
Daukaus is 0-1 UFC, 9-1 overall, with his lone loss being to Brendan Allen (who we saw get KOed by Sean Strickland last weekend). His record suggests that he’s a grappler, with several wins by D’Arce. Stoltzfus is 13-1 and making his big show debut off of a slam (arm injury) win on the contender series. He has a win by Twister.

Welterweight Louis Cosce vs Sasha Palatnikov
Cosce is 7-0, and coming off of a contender series win. Remember when those two brothers fought on the same card and the one had an OK win and the other wrecked house and they both got signed? Well this is the guy who wrecked house. Palatnikov is 5-2 and born in … uh Hong Kong? And ranked in South Korea? I don’t know. This is probably a puff fight for Cosce.

Prediction Parlay
Valentina Shevchenko (-1233), Tim Means (+128), Cynthia Calvillo (-250), Brandon Royval (+169), Daniel Rodriguez (-300), Louis Cosce (-390), Ariane Lipski (+140) total is +3632.

I’ll put up 12h on this. Will anyone risk a week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Joe Rogan's back on commentary tonight, and already people are commentating on the fact that Heidi Androl went barefoot in the cage for her pre-fight report

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This round is completely nuts..

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

CommonShore posted:

Prediction Parlay
Valentina Shevchenko (-1233), Tim Means (+128), Cynthia Calvillo (-250), Brandon Royval (+169), Daniel Rodriguez (-300), Louis Cosce (-390), Ariane Lipski (+140) total is +3632.

I’ll put up 12h on this. Will anyone risk a week?

Let's run it back

artism
Nov 22, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

This round is completely nuts..

Lol

Here for Dalby

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Holy poo poo this loving fight ruled.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

chaleski posted:

Let's run it back

Well I've already lost

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

CommonShore posted:

Well I've already lost

I didn't realize the fight had already started if you want to disregard that one

But yeah what a good rear end fight

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

chaleski posted:

I didn't realize the fight had already started if you want to disregard that one

But yeah what a good rear end fight

If you didn't know, I'm good with it. I'll take your word on it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Not too often that both guys decide the fight is over 10 seconds before it ends.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cormier having so much fun playing with the video graphic stuff is a joy :allears:

artism
Nov 22, 2011

These fights have all been delightful. Come on Jouban

20-18 Jouban

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The slowmo on that knee to the junk, oof.

deadkiller615
Aug 7, 2007
yea, I kill dead stuff. so what?

Great early prelims

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Alan putting his modelling career in serious jeopardy here.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Think D Rod stole that last minute. 10-9

artism
Nov 22, 2011

1-1. Dalby doing a lot more work

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Have this 29-28* Dalby. Great fight. Won’t be surprised if he doesn’t win it

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Shut the gently caress up Daniel

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Shut the gently caress up Daniel

Seriously man. I don’t know what the gently caress he was watching. Seemed pretty clear that Dalby won rounds 2 and 3 to me

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

artism posted:

Seriously man. I don’t know what the gently caress he was watching. Seemed pretty clear that Dalby won rounds 2 and 3 to me

And round 1 Dalby sat him down. I thought round 2 was the one that Rodriguez had the best case for.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

CommonShore posted:

And round 1 Dalby sat him down. I thought round 2 was the one that Rodriguez had the best case for.

I had it for Dalby until that final flurry by Rodriguez. Seemed to really stagger Dalby. I think r1 was a coin flip at best. Rogan and DC probably took edibles again

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Wow. Good round.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
dang!

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Holy poo poo

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Buckley hits so loving hard

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

and again

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

He’s like a mini Ngannou

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
What a brutal knockout. Rare to see someone still so hurt after having time to recover between rounds.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Is it just me or is the production really sloppy this card? Commentary is more pedantic than usual lol, but just weird cuts, people starting off cue, etc?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
If he really was slurring his words and not acting coherent in the break like the commentators were saying, I'm surprised his corner sent him back out there to get knocked out.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 22, 2020

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

wilderthanmild posted:

I'd he really was slurring his words and not acting coherent in the break like the commentators were saying, I'm surprised his corner sent him back out there to get knocked out.

Unfortunately no. That would be about par for the course in mma.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

peak ufc ranking bullshit is #1 contender in FW is fighting in the prelims while the champ fights #3 in the main event

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

lets go brandon

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Lol

Hype as hell for this fight.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

G-Hawk posted:

peak ufc ranking bullshit is #1 contender in FW is fighting in the prelims while the champ fights #3 in the main event

Yeah, what was the justification for Perez getting the shot. Originally he was fighting Moreno then when Cody dropped out Perez got the shot and not the higher ranked guy he was fighting originally. Makes no sense.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
God drat. That was fun while it lasted.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

really they should only let the small men fight, that was great

artism
Nov 22, 2011

What an insane scrap. Perhaps keep flyweight. Dirty

I don't think the main card will be anywhere as entertaining as the early prelims and prelims. Great stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
So uhhh that guy just got his face beaten in while not mentioning that he dislocated his arm at all.