Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Shoutout to our DHCP team. Every time modems aren't locking, they get called, even if we've verified that there's plenty of available addresses. It's a dumb phone call we make every time and they have never complained once.

And we will continue to call them every time, because the one time we skip them, it's going to be DHCP related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Renegret posted:

Shoutout to our DHCP team. Every time modems aren't locking, they get called, even if we've verified that there's plenty of available addresses. It's a dumb phone call we make every time and they have never complained once.

And we will continue to call them every time, because the one time we skip them, it's going to be DHCP related.

Everyone always rolls their eyes about appeasing the machine spirits verifying available addresses until the washing machine eats you gets a colliding address...

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Stupid question. What does a DHCP team do? I can't mentally wrap my head around a team that just manages DHCP

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Biowarfare posted:

Stupid question. What does a DHCP team do? I can't mentally wrap my head around a team that just manages DHCP

They perform the profane and unspeakable rites that keep the vastly more IPv4 addresses than we have things that want to use it on the Internet working vaguely right

Renegret posted:

same reason i make sure to cover the dumb "is it actually on" bases because i know i'm gonna feel like the world's biggest jackass if i spend 2 hours looking at complicated things and it turns out a power strip was flipped to off

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Biowarfare posted:

If it's anything like a lot of our "teams" it consists of a handful of members that also belong to any number of other teams, it's probably not like a primary job or anything.

My primary title is something along the lines of senior linux systems engineer but I'm also the configuration management tech lead, I'm on the Standards and Tools team (although it's on a long hiatus,) and a couple other cross-group teams.

Our "DHCP Team" consists of a couple of the Network people and an OpEng person. It's not a team of people who solely do DHCP stuff, so I'd imagine that it's similar in their case as well.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Is it bad that I would also be unsurprised if some goon works for a company where there's an IPAM.xls or Access database and a dedicated team that updates everyone's DHCP lease in a spreadsheet?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Biowarfare posted:

Renegret works for an ISP of some kind (not Comcast/AT&T size I don't think but I assume not extremely small either) and I assume they need to sacrifice virgins to the subnetting and DHCP server gods to keep the internet running with IPv4 NAT.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

MF_James posted:

Renegret works for an ISP of some kind (not Comcast/AT&T size I don't think but I assume not extremely small either) and I assume they need to sacrifice virgins to the subnetting and DHCP server gods to keep the internet running with IPv4 NAT.

Managing public IPs alone is a full time job for 2 people. And everything gets a private IP too for management. Set top boxes get 2 private adresses, landline modems get 2 as well.

Then there's the literally hundreds of servers and everything that comes along with that. Not only do we have a dedicated DHCP team, we have dedicated individual roles within it.

e: and there's an 8 digit number of devices

Renegret fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 21, 2020

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
What are your thoughts on CGNAT and native IPv6?

e: this is a joke question please don't get mad at me

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Biowarfare posted:

What are your thoughts on CGNAT and native IPv6?

e: this is a joke question please don't get mad at me

They don't pay me enough to give a poo poo.

Alternative answer:

I'm anti ipv6 because I spend half my day punching in IP addresses and that's too much extra work

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Renegret posted:

I'm anti ipv6 because I spend half my day punching in IP addresses and that's too much extra work

https://www.ipv6buddy.com/

I thought this was a joke website at first

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Actuarial Fables posted:

https://www.ipv6buddy.com/

I thought this was a joke website at first

That actually looks like a fun little goofy piece of hardware to keep around. I hate when I need to type in hexadecimal digits by hand and that would be so nice.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

All the hex letters can be reached by the left hand in it's normal position and the numbers with the numpad. The big advantage I can see with that is the colon so you don't have to move your hand for that.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The double colon saves you two keystrokes. Think of the efficiency gain!

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
There's got to be a cheaper way to do that, possibly with a QMK keypad? Then you could also have a layer toggle and maybe custom switches so the :: has a nice click and

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I guess if you're typing in dozens or hundreds of IPv6 addresses each day there might be some value there. The very rare occasions I actually need to do anything with IPv6 I just copy and paste the stupid thing.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Schadenboner posted:

Everyone always rolls their eyes about appeasing the machine spirits verifying available addresses until the washing machine eats you gets a colliding address...
We had an incident a few months ago where someone somewhere in our building plugged in an old printer that had been manually set to a specific IP, one that happened to match a DHCP-reserved PC with special firewall accesses, which of course was immediately knocked offline. There's still other sections at my place who like to reserve a printer's IP in DHCP, but then also hardcode it on the printer itself "just to be safe", and it drives me crazy.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Knormal posted:

We had an incident a few months ago where someone somewhere in our building plugged in an old printer that had been manually set to a specific IP, one that happened to match a DHCP-reserved PC with special firewall accesses, which of course was immediately knocked offline. There's still other sections at my place who like to reserve a printer's IP in DHCP, but then also hardcode it on the printer itself "just to be safe", and it drives me crazy.

I do DHCP reservations that absolutely need to be set static, just to help keep track of IPs in something that isn't a spreadsheet. But yeah, I am a big proponent of things shouldn't be static unless it's 100% necessary. Printers are not necessary.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

I do DHCP reservations that absolutely need to be set static, just to help keep track of IPs in something that isn't a spreadsheet. But yeah, I am a big proponent of things shouldn't be static unless it's 100% necessary. Printers are not necessary.

I agree, but have you seen how many people don’t understand dns?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

One day IPv4 will be retired and I can finally be on even footing with the superhuman IT folks who can memorize IP addresses.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

The Fool posted:

in my early days I remember this being a meme

Honestly I haven’t seen anyone have too much trouble With DNS other than maybe mixing up a record type. It’s a pretty simple concept.

Like even doing fun stuff like dns load balancing or GeoIP is pretty intuitive all in all.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

One day IPv4 will be retired and I can finally be on even footing with the superhuman IT folks who can memorize IP addresses.

Ah yes, IP Man was a good movie

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

The Fool posted:

To be fair they probably don't understand printers either

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Canuck-Errant posted:

To be fair they probably don't understand printers either

does anyone?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

There are niche reasons that I would suggest printers be configured to have static IPs from a security perspective, but I've been in hotel networks where I escaped the local Dublin guest network and was printing "If you can read this please call <my work phone>" in a Baltimore reception just to see what would happen sooooo... my experience is very skewed.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Adapters and You: A cautionary tale

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Baconroll posted:

All near-by body cameras automatically start recording if a taser is pulled from the holster in the UK. From small sample of the 3 police I know here they all really like body cameras as its cut down fake complaints and reduced violence against them.

Police IT content - I interviewed for a job as a programmer working on Police software in the 90s. As part of that they gave me a printed code sample and asked me to find 3 things that needed improving.

Turns out finding 5 errors didn't go down well and they got really defensive !

Programmers get really invested in what they perceive as "right" ways of doing something, while there can be x ways to do it and theirs might not even be the best. It's really hard to break some devs out of very bad habits.

Unlike sysadmins, because hardware is always objectively broken or working.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Top set has multiple BNC connectors, that's cheating.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Merijn posted:

I can't tell if this is irony or not, but there's just as many ways of doing things in the sysadmin world that get their own sticks in the mud.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I'm a dev, not a sysadmin. :shrug: it was totally sarcastic

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Merijn posted:

Programmers get really invested in what they perceive as "right" ways of doing something, while there can be x ways to do it and theirs might not even be the best. It's really hard to break some devs out of very bad habits.

Incorrect, hardware has three objective states: Working, Broken, "...That's Interesting..."

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 22, 2020

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

orange juche posted:

Adapters and You: A cautionary tale

I had an enormous chain of old adapters on my desk for a while and got a distressing number of serious questions about what sort of conversion needed that kind of adapter?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

shortspecialbus posted:

I had an enormous chain of old adapters on my desk for a while and got a distressing number of serious questions about what sort of conversion needed that kind of adapter?

It’s just a joke it would never work

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Arquinsiel posted:

There are niche reasons that I would suggest printers be configured to have static IPs from a security perspective, but I've been in hotel networks where I escaped the local Dublin guest network and was printing "If you can read this please call <my work phone>" in a Baltimore reception just to see what would happen sooooo... my experience is very skewed.

Did anyone call?

:ohdear:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

It’s just a joke it would never work

I am well aware of that, yes. Did you miss the first half of my post?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

shortspecialbus posted:

I am well aware of that, yes. Did you miss the first half of my post?

I may have been on paid menication at the time

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Incorrect, hardware has three objective states: Working, Broken, "...That's Interesting..."

:hmmyes: Indeed.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Schadenboner posted:

Did anyone call?

:ohdear:
They did. That's how I know it worked. Also people are super casual about dialing international numbers from work phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

4 states, you forgot the state where it's hosed until you walk up to look at it, and the errors clear, only to resume as soon as you leave. Observer effect.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Nov 23, 2020