Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pro Wrestling NOAH The Chronicle Volume 4

Live from the Yokohama Budokan, free on Abema.TV & $19.99 on Fite.tv if for some reason you desperately need English commentary.

Why should you care? The best wrestling promotion of the year (according to me) are putting on one of their biggest shows of the year. There's 4 title matches on the card, that 2020 NOAH mixture of weird rear end veteran names which makes for funtimes, solid but forgotten talents, the incredibly fun but weird junior division, & some genuine world class talent.

It starts at 6pm in Australia, 7am in the UK, 2am for EST, 11pm for PST & no matter what time you have to set your alarm for you really should.

Mohammed Yone & FULL THROTTLE (Hajime Ohara, YO-HEY & Seiki Yoshioka) vs Yoshiki Inamura, Junta Miyawaki, Kinya Okada & Yasutaka Yano
The opener will be an 8 man tag that pits the veteran team of Yone & FULL THROTTLE against NOAH's Young Boy squad. There's some terrific potential in this bunch, Inamura is a brick shithouse, Okada has been very promising & Yano has only had 5 appearances so far in his career.

Kotaro Suzuki & X vs Kongo (Haoh & Tadasuke)
Suzuki is one of those underappreciated talents I meant (& Tadasuke is an example of the weirdness of the juniors), he recently lost the GHC Junior Heavyweight Title on the 8th & has recently been turned on by his former allies in Stinger. So X is him bringing someone in as an equaliser. Who that someone is is unknown but it could be anyone from NOSAWA's past like TAKA or Minoru Fujita or HUB, it could be...It's kind of hard to know who NOAH could have come in. But it'll be interesting anyway.

Sugiuragun (Kazuyuki Fujita, Kendo Kashin & NOSAWA Rongai) vs Kongo (Masa Kitamiya, Manabu Soya & Nioh)
Seeing Fujita smash together with Kitamiya & Soya should be a lot of fun if nothing else. This does just seem a bit of a throwaway match though, Sugiuragun & Kongo have been in a rivalry for as long as they've both existed.

Keiji Mutoh vs Shuhei Taniguchi
I'll be honest, no idea why this match is happening. Mutoh in 2020 is not Mutoh of even 2015 and he really should be having singles matches. Taniguchi has been perfectly decent this year, but it's hard to get worked up about it. Could be ok, could be bad.

GHC Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Titles
Momo No Seishun (Daisuke Harada & Atsushi Kotoge) vs STINGER (Yoshinari Ogawa & HAYATA)
Momo reformed after Kotoge got kicked out of FULL THROTTLE & RATEL's finally dissolved into an appropriate amount of chaos. Harada is your Jr champ & Momo No Seishun are your Jr Tag champs. Meanwhile STINGER have the wily veteran Ogawa & the pretty HAYATA & both have issues mainly with Harada (HAYATA turning on RATELs was the start of their demise, & Ogawa & Harada had some great matches earlier in the year). This won't be a lot of high flying junior action but there's some of that legit under-rated talent in this one so I have high hopes.

GHC National Title
Kenoh vs Kaito Kiyomiya
Kaito once again squaring off against the man who treats him like a little brother. Kaito is coming in here fresh off as runner-up in the N-1 this year. Meanwhile Kenoh despite holding a title & leading the strongest unit in the company (Kongo) is still a petulant little poo poo who is convinced everyone is out to get him, & he manifests that attitude in wonderfully violent kick-based offence. Kenoh was one half of my match of the year, Kaito was one half of another top 5 match of the year back on January 4th, this is the future ace against his snotty big brother who is exceedingly pissed off that he's going to be in the shadow of Kiyomiya. Absolute must watch stuff.

GHC Heavyweight Tag Team Titles
Sugiuragun (Takashi Sugiura & Kazushi Sakuraba) vs The M's Alliance (Naomichi Marufuji & Masakatsu Funaki)
Sugiura & Sakuraba are an incredibly fun team. They won the belts at the end of August in a great match with AXIZ after they'd been vacated (Renee Dupree & El Hijo del Dr Wagner Jr had to go home), & their one defence so far was against the Kongo beefboy duo of Soya & Kitamiya in another very fun match. Meanwhile M's Alliance is a bunch of guys whose names start with M. Doesn't matter if it's first name or surname (Masaaki Mochizuki has both!), but gimmick aside, Funaki is along with Minoru Suzuki one of the founders of Pancrase, and he pulled off a big upset on the last show before this one, choking out Sugiura. So him & Marufuji have the momentum, but the potential for grappling shenanigans between Sakuraba & Funaki is high & exciting.

GHC Heavyweight Title
Go Shiozaki vs Katsuhiko Nakajima
The big one. Go beat Kaito Kiyomiya on 4/1 to become GHC Champ for the 4th time. The following day he & his AXIZ partner Katsuhiko Nakajima dropped the Tag belts. Go Shiozaki's 2020 has been as good as it gets: great matches for the title made famous by Akiyama, Kobashi & Misawa with Kiyomiya, Fujita, Saito, Marufuji & Kenoh, some excellent tag matches, & a very solid N-1 despite working "hurt". Because the story is that as the year has gone on, his arm has become more & more beaten up, more & more heavily wrapped in athletic tape.

Nakajima by his own right has had a great year, a short but good National Title reign ended by Kenoh, a Wrestle-1 Title reign, a fascinating match with Hideki Suzuki, & an N-1 where he avenged his loss to Kenoh the month before, suffering just one loss (to Shuhei Taniguchi). And of course there's him turning on Go Shiozaki, ending the best tag team of 2019 to join Kongo. And they finally get a chance to settle that beef that has been festering for 3 months, for the big title at that. It doesn't get much better than this folks. For all Shiozaki insists that he is NOAH, will his body finally betray him? How will he stand up to the assault of kicks from his former friend?

The build to the GHC Heavyweight Title match has been exquisite & I have no doubt that this will be the cherry on the top of the feud of 2020.

https://twitter.com/Hi5ame/status/1330009214299803650?s=20

Any questions I'll be happy to try & answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Those top four matches are sure to be bangers, really interested in how much Sugiura and Marufuji stand aside and let Funaki and Sakuraba put of a grappling exhibition. My only gripe is that the Jr title is not being defended. Much as I have enjoyed Mono no Seishun's return, I think Harada should have had a singles showcase on the big show. Dude is real good, second only to Despy on my Juniors list.

And it goes without saying that the Singles title matches will be great, just full of kick based violence. Definitely looking forward to catching up with this tonight

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

If someone's planning on getting (back) into NOAH this would be a good entry point imho - here's the Abema link: http://abe.ma/3iScCWB

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

J-Ro posted:

If someone's planning on getting (back) into NOAH this would be a good entry point imho - here's the Abema link: http://abe.ma/3iScCWB

Thanks for posting this. The pre-show is live & there's currently one of the commentators holding a whiteboard with each of the Juniors, & the board separated into groups to try & make sense of the mess of the division. Utterly wonderful stuff.

https://twitter.com/noah_ghc/status/1330402618619916288?s=20

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 22, 2020

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

I know nothing about what's going on but have nothing else to be doing right now so I'm in

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

And we are live with Yone boogieing down. Full Throttle seem like disco fans too

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
is the sound weird for anyone else?

edit: seems fixed

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Nov 22, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

And we are live with Yone boogieing down. Full Throttle seem like disco fans too

Seems fine to me.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
So who's X?

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

https://twitter.com/Hi5ame/status/1330412371706339334

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

drat nice finish by X & then he ruins it with RHCP

Really thought they'd make more of a deal out of who it was? Even Japanese Twitter are like "who da gently caress is that?"

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

drat nice finish by X & then he ruins it with RHCP

I don't know how long I'm going to be up and watching this but I tuned in just in time for rhcp

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Love INOKI ISM

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Inokiism in my NOAH???

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

fez_machine posted:

Inokiism in my NOAH???

That's 2020 for you, it's all upside down. Inokiism is good now.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Is this the guy from the staredown match?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

very slapstick energy to the beef off, I liked it

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Big beefy bois and TJPW's head trainer.

fez_machine posted:

Yes.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

fez_machine posted:

Yup, it is. Ol' Ironhead himself, Kaz Fujita

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

I would like to know more about NOSAWA's shirt that says GODDAMN on it and has a dog wearing sunglasses.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Hype for a Soya Fujita singles match now. Hopefully that happens.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Xerzes posted:

I would like to know more about NOSAWA's shirt that says GODDAMN on it and has a dog wearing sunglasses.

The official merchandise of Sugiuragun, the dog is Takashi Sugiura's

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I apologise in advance for this match

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

just woke up and turned it on

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

It's a good sign when I'm surprised you're willing to take a German suplex.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

4 title matches ahead, strap in.

forkboy84 posted:

I apologise in advance for this match

It was absolutely fine tbh.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Yeah, I expected worse.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I hope Ogawa challenges Harada for the belt. They've good chemistry

Also should say HAYATA does good eyeliner.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Notice that no one ever wins with a Victory Roll? Seems a poorly named move.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

when did kotoge drop the cape of revolution gimmick

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Thauros posted:

when did kotoge drop the cape of revolution gimmick

Before Full Throttle formed, so it's probably been about 6 months? Time this year is hard to measure.

https://twitter.com/KVR216/status/1330427799358877699?s=20

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
X is back!

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Imagine trying to actively start a fight with Ogawa.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

And still no one knows who he is.

This is weird.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

who's kotaro suzuki's masked partner? drawing a blank at any masked guys associated with noah outside of ehd wager jr

edit: oh, it's supposed to be a mystery?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

God I am so excited for this

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

This is how worlds end.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Apparently Suzuki told Ogawa he was weaker than Junta Miyawaki which is why Ogawa punched him in the face.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Kenoh's theme is a banger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Thauros posted:

who's kotaro suzuki's masked partner? drawing a blank at any masked guys associated with noah outside of ehd wager jr

edit: oh, it's supposed to be a mystery?

Apparently his name is Salva De Oriente

https://twitter.com/rabidstavros77/status/1330423044377096193