Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hey now, don’t go spoiling the secret of the best TV show ever made to just anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Escobarbarian posted:

I never had this on my UK DVDs

Interesting, I wonder if they fixed it with a later print.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

His Dark Materials was so competent yet underwhelming that absolutely nobody cares that season 2 is airing. I almost wish the show was a disaster so it could at least be interesting.

Honestly I just have too much stuff on Sundays to watch already

This season of Fear the Walking Dead has been decent
I've enjoyed Fargo
The Eric Andre Show has been great
John Oliver season finale was last week
Primal just ended earlier in the month
Occasionally football will be worth a watch

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Chris James 2 posted:

Honestly I just have too much stuff on Sundays to watch already

It’s on Monday.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I cannot believe I just watched the Animaniacs reference the Josh Brolin Oldboy movie in tyool 2020.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

His Dark Materials was so competent yet underwhelming that absolutely nobody cares that season 2 is airing. I almost wish the show was a disaster so it could at least be interesting.

Season 2 seems somewhat better so far because Lyra and Will are good together but any scene that doesn’t include them is still so ridiculously goddamn boring and poo poo

EL BROMANCE posted:

Interesting, I wonder if they fixed it with a later print.

Do you know what year this was an issue? I remember I bought my season 1 DVD in 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I cannot believe I just watched the Animaniacs reference the Josh Brolin Oldboy movie in tyool 2020.

This got a big laugh out of me. That whole reboots song was great

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Hey now, don’t go spoiling the secret of the best TV show ever made to just anyone.

truth

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

I watched the first episode earlier this year and it didn't really seem like anything special. I know it's got a lot of fans but it just really didn't grab me at all. I assume it gets better or something? Is it the relationship between the main characters that kicks rear end or is there an antagonist that they go up against that draws them together? Both? I am basically out of new stuff to watch so I'll probably come back to it while I wait for other stuff to air but after the first episode I really didn't get the hype at all.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Terriers is basically Veronica Mars except he's a washed out drunk dude instead. Mix of weekly private investigator stuff but they uncover a larger conspiracy that involves the whole town as the overarching plot. The bro relationship does get really fun.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve tried to watch Terriers multiple times and never made it more than halfway

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Me too, I think everyone's doing a bit

We've seen a lot of shows brought back with the original casts in the last few years but none of them have been as seamlessly consistent as the new Animaniaics. It is dead on the same show.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 22, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Me too, I think everyone's doing a bit

Now I know you're a gimmick account

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm the guy who likes stuff too much and gets mad at people who don’t. Ask anybody!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

I'm the guy who likes stuff too much and gets mad at people who don’t. Ask anybody!

Whatever ZOO-EHKKS

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Holy poo poo there's a sketch in Animaniacs where they have this small child's nonsense stream of consciousness and turned it into this tiny competent invader zim style alien futilely trying to escape his fate as this girl's dolly and get back to his ship and it is amazing

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Escobarbarian posted:

Do you know what year this was an issue? I remember I bought my season 1 DVD in 2007

Pretty sure I bought it early when it first came out, unfortunately my memory is terrible for most things and tends to just recall things that make me laugh. I remember the packaging I had for the seasons didn’t match particularly well, whether that was down to them being reissued or just plain not caring I don’t know though. There’s a tiny possibility I have them still at my parents place, if we ever get out of this travel hellscape I’ll try remember to check!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Man, why didn't anyone tell me that "Maniac" is a science fiction show with amazing world-building? I thought it was going to be some hippie bullshit about about people doing psychedelic drugs, but this is extremely my poo poo. I am glad I gave it a shot.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SimonChris posted:

Man, why didn't anyone tell me that "Maniac" is a science fiction show with amazing world-building? I thought it was going to be some hippie bullshit about about people doing psychedelic drugs, but this is extremely my poo poo. I am glad I gave it a shot.
I believe it was a zero day binge for me. I remember really liking it but it fell out of the zeitgeist REAL quick.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Also it starts dropping off in quality real hard after episode 4.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

SimonChris posted:

It owns OP

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

whowhatwhere posted:

Look how wrong this post is

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

whowhatwhere posted:

Well, I just finished episode 4 and it still rocks; those fur people were really into making a hat of that lemur! I guess I will see if episode 5 is worse.

"There's not much difference, authority-wise."

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, I really loved Maniac, despite the second half not being as good. It's maybe my favourite Netflix original, still.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I know they never will but Netflix should really reevaluate their release schedule. Maniac and now Queen’s Gambit would’ve benefited from growing awareness from weekly episodes. Maybe it’ll take a serious decline in subscribers.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I just wanna know when we're getting more Russian Doll.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I just wanna know when we're getting more Russian Doll.

I’ll def post here if I hear it’s started up filming again. That one is going to be very difficult to repeat with the same style during covid as you can’t film within 24 feet of outdoor dining and that’s 95% of the East Village

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Josh Lyman posted:

I believe it was a zero day binge for me. I remember really liking it but it fell out of the zeitgeist REAL quick.

I liked the start but it lost me HARD on that weird fantasy genre episode. It just didn;t work, in a way that made me say "Aight, im out"

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SimonChris posted:

I liked it overall. I couldn't shake the feeling that it was attempting to crib heavily from david Lynch. I felt like the work was very much pointing at the wacky and out-there visuals and saying, "Isn't this so wacky and out-there??" while neglecting to craft compelling characters and tighten the narrative, which feels somewhat bloated. Stone and Hill work wonders but I found I had trouble investing in their relationship and their arcs. The visuals are admittedly stunning, even the non-trippy mundane ones, like the lighting and framing of the testing rooms. The only thing I out-and-out loved that stood out was the very last shot, it's like a fake-out of the last shot of the graduate and that kind of sold their relationship right at the end for me

All of that said, Fukunaga is an extremely competent director and I'm always keeping an eye out for his work.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SimonChris posted:

Btw, has anyone seen the Norwegian original that inspired this show? It's on Netflix as well, so I figured I might watch it next.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I'm really stoked to see what Fukunaga does next

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I watched the new season of Rick and Morty on Hulu finally and it was pretty good but I still don't see why people are rabid about it

Lol at it ending on that maudlin note though

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 23, 2020

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

I know they never will but Netflix should really reevaluate their release schedule. Maniac and now Queen’s Gambit would’ve benefited from growing awareness from weekly episodes. Maybe it’ll take a serious decline in subscribers.

Queen’s Gambit is getting plenty of buzz around it and there is no reason for Netflix to do this

Also yeah Maniac’s second half is just way less good

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Inspector 34 posted:

I watched the first episode earlier this year and it didn't really seem like anything special. I know it's got a lot of fans but it just really didn't grab me at all. I assume it gets better or something? Is it the relationship between the main characters that kicks rear end or is there an antagonist that they go up against that draws them together? Both? I am basically out of new stuff to watch so I'll probably come back to it while I wait for other stuff to air but after the first episode I really didn't get the hype at all.

Terriers, to me, is the perfect storm of character, plot and world building. A lot of incidental characters pop up several times in different contexts and it really creates a lived in feeling of a small bit city. I'd say if you're not hooked after episode 4 you can safely bail.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Maniac ruled

Queen's Gambit ruled

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The season finale (and 50th overall episode) of Eric Andre was several hours ago, and holy poo poo, "The Pageant" is some of the funniest poo poo i've seen on TV in years.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Halfway through season 1 of Le Casa De Papel / Money Heist (boy, the translated name put me off for a very long time). I saw there's 4 seasons, can someone tell me without spoilers if season 1 pays off at all?

I've got this bad feeling it's going to end with a lack of finality, either continue the heist, bullshit cliffhanger or just keep the same core cast into a new adventure and keep them dancing around each other in the same ways like a soap opera with no lasting changes or consequences.

EDIT: Wait I have no idea what even counts as a season because apparently Netflix re-cut the show into smaller pieces???

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Nov 23, 2020

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Simone Magus posted:

I'm really stoked to see what Fukunaga does next

He is doing (did) the new Bond movie.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Gonz posted:

The season finale (and 50th overall episode) of Eric Andre was several hours ago, and holy poo poo, "The Pageant" is some of the funniest poo poo i've seen on TV in years.

Whole season was really strong, wasn't expecting it to be so good but it really feels like the bigger break did it wonders. The little 'making of' for season 5 they did is charming, worth a watch.

masterpine fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 23, 2020

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

VagueRant posted:

Halfway through season 1 of Le Casa De Papel / Money Heist (boy, the translated name put me off for a very long time). I saw there's 4 seasons, can someone tell me without spoilers if season 1 pays off at all?

I've got this bad feeling it's going to end with a lack of finality, either continue the heist, bullshit cliffhanger or just keep the same core cast into a new adventure and keep them dancing around each other in the same ways like a soap opera with no lasting changes or consequences.

EDIT: Wait I have no idea what even counts as a season because apparently Netflix re-cut the show into smaller pieces???

It's a very, very silly show but I love it anyway for the characters as a ridiculously over the top soap opera. And consequences are absolutely coming even if they are very contrived.

One event in season 2 made me extremely angry at both that it happened to that character and the circumstances under which it happened which were unbelievably stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/McHenryJD/status/1330902966723883010

I don't envy being a writer on a medical program right now