Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I have a GBC with a modded backlight from AliExpress. For whatever reason, only on Donkey Kong Land I get these weird looking artifacts on the character when there is a bunch of moving around:

Not sure if this is due to the display, the GBC board itself, or perhaps the flash cart (EZ Flash Jr.). Anyone know what this could be? I'm gonna try to borrow a friend's GBP to see if it happens on his too, that way I can try to lock it down to a display/device issue. I have a copy of the game at my parents, but they're not easy to get to nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So I was bored and decided to look up prices for the Game Boy Player, and it's kinda funny how cheap the thing is without the boot disc(40 bucks on average) while having the disc on hand with it will usually drive the price right up to more than double the price without it(like 110 to 120 seems to be about the norm)

So what exactly do you have to do again to make the player work without the startup disc again?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You need to get some way to boot into software that makes use of the GB Player. For example, you could boot into SWISS and use that to load up the GameBoy Interface software.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So did anyone ever notice that the original Donkey Kong Country is not a good game? Because it isn't. Whenever I get the urge to play a SNES DKC game, I always jump to 2 or 3 but for some reason tonight I said, "You know, it's been a while since I played the original..." Ugh.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Random Stranger posted:

So did anyone ever notice that the original Donkey Kong Country is not a good game? Because it isn't. Whenever I get the urge to play a SNES DKC game, I always jump to 2 or 3 but for some reason tonight I said, "You know, it's been a while since I played the original..." Ugh.

I wouldn't really call the first one bad, but yeah it's definitely a bit rough compared to 2 which I feel is one of the gold standards of 4th Generation Platformers

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I like DKC1 quite a bit, what exactly do you dislike about it?

Just started DKC2 actually, so far I don't like it as much, but it's not really fair to compare a game I have beaten 101% to a game I'm still on the first few levels of.

Only briefly played 3 when I was a kid, can't say much about it at all.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The best Donkey Kong is DK '94. All the others can fight it out after that. :colbert:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Bank posted:

I have a GBC with a modded backlight from AliExpress. For whatever reason, only on Donkey Kong Land I get these weird looking artifacts on the character when there is a bunch of moving around:

Not sure if this is due to the display, the GBC board itself, or perhaps the flash cart (EZ Flash Jr.). Anyone know what this could be? I'm gonna try to borrow a friend's GBP to see if it happens on his too, that way I can try to lock it down to a display/device issue. I have a copy of the game at my parents, but they're not easy to get to nowadays.

My memory says that's kind of just how DKL was but I'm also operating on like, memories from 24 years ago at this point.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

yeah it's crap. it's the only game i owned as a kid that i traded away for something else because i was bored with it. it's a cheap europlatformer on par with things like zool or something, a lot of the gameplay is just unpleasant and imprecise, or without challenge

i hope you like collecting 1000 golden ostrich statues for an extra life

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

My memory says that's kind of just how DKL was but I'm also operating on like, memories from 24 years ago at this point.

I scrounged up a GBP in my storage and there's no issue on it.. I suspect this isn't a display issue though as it would probably show up all the time, not just when there's a lot going on. This may be related to how the GBC is interpreting the colors and given there's so much animation at once, it lacks adequate memory to convert the colors all at once to perfection.

As I was typing this I was searching around and it's actually a compatibility issue:

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2018/03/compatibility-issues-within-game-boy.html posted:

Hardware compatibility with Game Boy software took a hit with the GBC. The GBC and later console's TFTs will display flicker with games like Serpent, Super Mario Land, Wave Race (press select to make course map and status bar solid) and Chikyuu Kaihou Gun ZAS, although the flicker is not quite so bad as it may appear on the SGBs. More serious compatibility issues come in two categories :

Graphics Glitches
Donkey Kong Land 1-3 - glitchy horizontal lines in sprites

I'm just glad it's not a hardware issue.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

You know, I think the last time I played it was on a GBC so that would make sense.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ive said this before here i think but i really didnt like the influence rareware has had on games in the late 90s. donkey kong country impressed a lot of people with those prerendered graphics and then everybody started seeing rare as some kind of god tier developer, and then a big chunk of the library of the n64 ended up being rareware games or games that copied rareware games. boring collectathon stuff like banjo kazooie

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

there should be a game based on alfred jarry's ubu roi

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Shibawanko posted:

yeah it's crap. it's the only game i owned as a kid that i traded away for something else because i was bored with it. it's a cheap europlatformer on par with things like zool or something, a lot of the gameplay is just unpleasant and imprecise, or without challenge

i hope you like collecting 1000 golden ostrich statues for an extra life

I agree with this a lot. I do feel like the DKC games get a lot of undo praise. The graphics for the time I didn’t even think were that impressive as I was never that impressed by the pre-rendered stuff outside of Killer Instinct the first time I saw it in arcades. Nearly everything else could have been done in traditional 2D animation and would have looked much better.

Once you take the graphics out, which have aged really poorly, it is a sub par euro style platformer. Donkey Kong 94 is a superior DK game. Hell even the Super Donkey Kong demo that leaked out is a much more interesting “game” than DKC.

The only plus to the DKC games is most of the characters in them are pretty great but I wonder how much of that is the Japanese Nintendo influence.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shibawanko posted:

ive said this before here i think but i really didnt like the influence rareware has had on games in the late 90s. donkey kong country impressed a lot of people with those prerendered graphics and then everybody started seeing rare as some kind of god tier developer, and then a big chunk of the library of the n64 ended up being rareware games or games that copied rareware games. boring collectathon stuff like banjo kazooie

It's not really Rare's fault; Building 3D games was something everyone was trying to figure out back then, and Rare's successes with Banjo-Kazooie and the like locked onto what seemed like a winning formula.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Donkey Kong Country is fantastic and the two SNES sequels are better. I still really like how they all look and the atmosphere they give off.

I don't think I give a poo poo about any other thing Rare made, in retrospect. It was hard for me to care about going back to their N64 platformers after skipping the system back in the day since I managed to play Jak and Daxter first and felt like that gave me what I wanted out of a 3D collectathon platformer like that... and then that series did its own terrible thing with its sequels.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the intro to the game even gives it away: cranky kong (the original donkey kong) is playing his beloved grammophone, listening to some music from his youth, and then donkey and diddy come and kick his rear end and he flies off and they play some "extreme" 90s gorilla raprock. thats an exact metaphor for donkey kong country: an arrogant game that thinks it can improve on a classic by adding bells and whistles

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Do some people just not like it when platformers make an attempt at simulating momentum? I've never had much of a problem with slippery controls as long as they were predictably so, while platformers with twitchy input like Super Mario World feel borderline broken to me.

I like DKC. Doesn't really come off as eurojank, the collision and platforming is way too forgiving for that.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

the levels aren't giant boring box mazes you can fall to the bottom of so i would never put it in the same category

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I really don't like Donkey Kong Country, but I'm also bad at video games and don't have the patience for stages where I'll die on the same jump forty times before landing it on a fluke and then never getting it again the next time I'm in the stage

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
that loving minecart stage

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the only europlatformer i have a bit of a weakness for is mr. nutz, of all games. it has really great art design (although it couldve used more parallax scrolling) and the music tracks are really long and suit the game, at one point you fight a giant bearded man in the sky who drops his own eyeballs on your head. it also doesn't play that badly for a big spriter. it's no mario but i still enjoy it except for the volcano stage because that's when the art design temporarily goes out the window and it just becomes boring cave poo poo. cave and canyon levels are almost as bad as sewer levels

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdtDztdI2VQ

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

oh

my

god

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

The mine cart stages are legitimately my favorite parts of DKC.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

lmao

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

they knew

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not really Rare's fault; Building 3D games was something everyone was trying to figure out back then, and Rare's successes with Banjo-Kazooie and the like locked onto what seemed like a winning formula.

i dont think i agree with this by the way, mario 64 showed that you can have a 3D platforming game focused on action, even if it wasnt a perfect game. oddly very few games really used the mario 64 formula and instead went with the collectathon route until everyone realized that collectathons suck

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

The best Donkey Kong is DK 64.

:hmmyes:

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Eh, I think Mario 64 is also pretty much a collectathon. I grew up with Mario 64 but I don't have that much nostalgia for it. Running around the levels looking for stars eventually got pretty dull in Mario 64, and then it was pushed to "massively boring" in Super Mario Sunshine.

Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 are the best 3D mario games cause they dropped most of the collection crap. Mario Odyssey is good but I think the return to large exploration-based levels had a really bad impact on the quality of the platforming challenges in that game.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I don't really see DKC as too offensively Europlatformer-ish unless you want to 100% it. It chucks no end of lives at you, it's not all that maze-y, you don't have to collect every bloody little thing if you don't want to. When I think of typical awful Europlatformers and what they do, DKC's well away from that. Superfrog, on the other hand...now that's a proper poo poo Europlatformer. Thankfully that didn't get near any consoles (well, aside from CD32 I guess but that barely counts)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

Superfrog, on the other hand...now that's a proper poo poo Europlatformer. Thankfully that didn't get near any consoles (well, aside from CD32 I guess but that barely counts)

Well, PS3 and Vita too. Until it was delisted just three years later, alongside the Steam/GOG/Google Play/App Store versions because even Team17 of all loving companies must have been embarrassed by it.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Casey Finnigan posted:

Eh, I think Mario 64 is also pretty much a collectathon. I grew up with Mario 64 but I don't have that much nostalgia for it. Running around the levels looking for stars eventually got pretty dull in Mario 64, and then it was pushed to "massively boring" in Super Mario Sunshine.

Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 are the best 3D mario games cause they dropped most of the collection crap. Mario Odyssey is good but I think the return to large exploration-based levels had a really bad impact on the quality of the platforming challenges in that game.

i guess i think of the stars more as a challenge goal, like "try to reach this area up here now", it's not like an ocean of crap you have to wade through to get an extra life like in dkc

just having collectables is fine, smb1 has coins but these are used to suggest a path to the player or offer risk-reward, it becomes a collectathon when collecting poo poo is the goal of the game like in banjo kazooie or the bonus stages in dkc

i still think dkc is incredibly janky. remember how that frog controls? or how it's too easy to jump on kremlins but you have to be pixel-precise to jump on a snake? the wonky bouncing on the tires? the swimming stages where a single press of the jump button just shoots you way up?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

the swimming stages where a single press of the jump button just shoots you way up?
IIRC the amount that pressing Jump causes you to swim changes depending on whether you're holding Up or Down.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FWIW, I enjoy DKC 2 and 3, but 1's level design is just plain dull while the controls feel pretty sloppy. It's just not much fun to play.

In other more fun news, here's the story of Cameltry taken from the Japanese manual:

Cameltry's Story posted:

There's a ball. You roll it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
DKC1 is just a bit too easy and simplistic, getting by mostly on its audio and visual aesthetics. I do think it's a very *pleasant* platformer to play, with enough little touches like the sound effects when you bop enemies that make it feel mostly good. Its main issue is that even with other platformers of the time it just doesn't have very interesting level design.

Alternatively, DKC2 took all of the technology of 1 and married it to not only far stronger level design it also put in far more effort into the already good aesthetics and theming. It's also the only time I feel where the DKC games even going up to Returns/Freeze where they found a happy middle ground of challenge to unlock additional content without making it too frustrating.

As for 3, I honestly just don't really remember that much other than it being incredibly tedious to actually get everything.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I still find Rare's rise and fall as a hot poo poo developer kinda... funny? I guess? 12 year old me wouldn't believe that people would ever stop playing the pinnacle of shooters Goldeneye, or collectively realize collectathons suck in the future. Or that Perfect Dark got a meh sequel. Nowadays the only Rareware game I'd probably return to would be Starfox Adventures because of raw nostalgia.

Here's a semi non sequitur for you: where does Spongebob: Battle for Bikini Bottom rank on everyone's list of collectathon platformers? That got popular enough in retrospect to get a modern rerelease. I enjoyed the first five minutes once so it hasn't had a chance to wear thin with me yet.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I rented Battle for Bikini Bottom as a kid and thought it was boring and uninteresting. I don't remember knowing anyone who thought it was good or special back in the day.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Well, PS3 and Vita too. Until it was delisted just three years later, alongside the Steam/GOG/Google Play/App Store versions because even Team17 of all loving companies must have been embarrassed by it.

I forgot that they re-released the bloody game for some completely unknown reason. The game is terrible. The only interesting fact about it is that Superfrog was originally going to get his powers from Newcastle Brown Ale instead of Lucozade. It's not the worst of the Europlatformers, but it is one that does get overrated an awful lot by Amiga folk. They should have re-released Qwak instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Games like Zelda and Metroid are the genesis of the modern collectathon games.

fite me nerds