Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FluffieDuckie
May 11, 2005

I love bob

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
im dumb af so ill 50 percent doxx myself

heres my bibliography lol

once i figure out how to get the self pubbed ones in print im gonna mail them to orbs lol

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
https://twitter.com/cmarguel/status/1328763174238126080

im hungry

edit: oh no i got selkie and kelpie mixed up so now i've turned her from a carnivore into a cannibal

Argue fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 17, 2020

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I had a book come out this week and I had a few things in a really cool anthology last month and soon a journal I love deeply is going to put out its own little anthology of new stuff and I have poems in that as well. It's been a very busy little while. I'm afraid of doxxing myself so please just believe me that they are all good.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

If your book and poems are anything like your posts it's real good friend

pecan
Nov 1, 2020

alnilam posted:

If your book and poems are anything like your posts it's real good friend

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Aw shucks! Thanks!!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The mountebanks are packing up their tents, so now is the time if you have anything else to post, the thread will head off soon...

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
Not sure if this is so creative, but I built my first pirate bunk bed.
I don't have much confidence in my own diy abilities since my first shelf fell on my head whilst I slept, so I overcompensate everything, and this time I spent more on robust materials than what a perfectly fine bunk bed would normally cost.

Why yes the bed is screwed together with reinforced machine bolts and nuts, thank you for noticing.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

RickRogers posted:

Not sure if this is so creative, but I built my first pirate bunk bed.
I don't have much confidence in my own diy abilities since my first shelf fell on my head whilst I slept, so I overcompensate everything, and this time I spent more on robust materials than what a perfectly fine bunk bed would normally cost.

Why yes the bed is screwed together with reinforced machine bolts and nuts, thank you for noticing.

I had a roommate in college who collapsed a bunk bed (taking a partner in it with them, of course) and it sounds funny but it wrecked the room and they could have been seriously hurt. Having a shelf fall on you sounds nasty, depending on how much weight is on it that's like taking a cricket bat to the face out of nowhere.

Definitely sounds like creative endeavors in general to me!

Sig by Heather Papps

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I completely forgot until now that bunkbeds were a thing in college and that I slept in one for the better part of two years.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

The closest I've been to "creative" in decades

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i'm glad the circus came to town, i enjoyed seeing Things

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

xcheopis posted:

The closest I've been to "creative" in decades

Woaah dude, put a guard up or you are going to have a burnt pussy!

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

I had a roommate in college who collapsed a bunk bed (taking a partner in it with them, of course) and it sounds funny but it wrecked the room and they could have been seriously hurt. Having a shelf fall on you sounds nasty, depending on how much weight is on it that's like taking a cricket bat to the face out of nowhere.

Definitely sounds like creative endeavors in general to me!

Haha, it was my girlfriend it landed on (even more embarrassingly it had one book on, python for idiots or something) and now she is my, certainly not brain damaged, wife.

This was a fun xircus to visit, fare thee well!

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN
Apr 27, 2010

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

This was wonderful. Can't wait to see what else is posted

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
It's been nice to see what stuff you've been making, BYOB friends :unsmith:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

This thread is heading off to AI probably tomorrow! Excited to see what the cinder blocks are holding up over there. Make sure to stay with it and say hi to our AI friends!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

alnilam posted:

This thread is heading off to AI probably tomorrow! Excited to see what the cinder blocks are holding up over there. Make sure to stay with it and say hi to our AI friends!

Liked, subscribed, and hit the bell icon already.

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Before the thread heads off, I give you Dr. Hoppenheimer. He was part of a bigger thing for an art challenge but I hosed up the layers and can’t put the fixed frog in to the fixed scene like a doofus.

Edit: right, I post art to my Twitter fairly regularly once it’s done if anybody wants to follow that I guess.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Nov 23, 2020

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I would let him perform surgery on me for sure!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Vegastar posted:

Before the thread heads off, I give you Dr. Hoppenheimer. He was part of a bigger thing for an art challenge but I hosed up the layers and can’t put the fixed frog in to the fixed scene like a doofus.

did a quick and dirty edit:

he's got a bit of a blue and white aura now, but maybe he's powering up to destroy some worlds?

e: vv that one's much cleaner, nice!

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

biosterous fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 22, 2020

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Vegastar posted:

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

nice frog.. it's sunday tho

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

I very much appreciate the effort, thank you. Not really the root of the problem though - the final image is flattened with the background scene.

TLDR I went back and made some updates to the frog based on the feedback from the original, but I didn’t realize I had flattened the final piece and can’t put him back in to the scene without putting in way more work than it’s worth.

Again, very kind of you to edit the transparency though - I’ve got the full frog psd with all the layers in tact thankfully.

Anyway less me fuckups and more cool art plz.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Okay fine I’ll do it.

We’re doing a challenge in one of the art hangout discords I’m in - take the oldest thing you’ve made and remake it from scratch to see how far you’ve come as an artist, and it was a ton of fun.

Here’s the oldest thing I could find, teenage emo kid me from 2006 or so holding this discount Moltres I painted.

And this is the redone version.

It was a ton of fun, and I’d highly recommend it for anybody who does art stuff somewhat regularly. Satisfying and confidence boosting.

I tend to post art on my Twitter fairly regularly if anybody cares enough: https://www.twitter.com/VegastarLH

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

alnilam posted:

vroom vroom, off we go!

ty manifisto

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Lets swing for the fences

The AWD BRZ

An insane blend of GC8 WRX, v7STI, WRC grade rollcage and a whooooooole crazy to make it all work

Not quite so out there GF8 WRX being restored

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

siiiiiiiiick

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I was traumatized at a young age by a Datsun owned by a friend of a family member. And sometimes if I think real hard, words start coming out. Those words are put into tumblr, because otherwise they'll go back in and bad stuff happens.

I have been updating this blog with a new short story or rant basically every day since at least 2014. I'm at nearly 2200 entries now.

Here is a sample:

quote:

I’m not just a mechanical engineer, I tell the class of terrified youths as I wave around a cordless impact wrench with the safety off. I’m the mechanical engineer who specifically makes things hard to get at.

With this realization, one of the more “rural” looking fathers, possibly a boyfriend of a recent divorcee who is referred to by his first name by the kid, rears up and charges at me. He is one of the only human beings in this timeline who still does his own car maintenance, and has put together from my resume on LinkedIn and the words I am saying that I am the one responsible for how goddamn inaccessible the starter bolts are on his Yukon.

That wasn’t one of mine, sir, I try to tell him. As I do, I start to back up, but my escape is blocked by the bulk of the classroom’s holographic whiteboard. Upon being contacted by the cellphone in my hip pocket, the screen flickers to life, showing an image from my saved photos. In the photo, I am happily giving a thumbs-up while receiving an award for making the starter bolts on the Yukon goddamn inaccessible. It says so on the plaque.

Recovering from their stunned surprise, the other parents now arrive at a quick consensus that I am in fact history’s greatest monster. Even the patent lawyer, I notice with some horror, has turned against me, perhaps looking to atone for some sin I committed against him and his domestic-beer-swilling teenage buddies, repairing a beater car on some long-distant halcyon evening. I rack my mind to think what it could be and arrive at only the Lexus LS400. His rage is justified if so, I conclude.

Despite my building guilt slowing my mind in preparation of receiving the karmic punishment mandated by society, my primate forebrain immediately detects a chance to save the entire show once again. Before I can stop it, my foot has launched an eight-year-old’s chair, complete with occupant, directly into the face of Danny Cousin-Fucker in a Olympic-level soccer kick. That is, if soccer were a game that was played at the Olympics. This momentarily stuns him, and the crowd, horrified that I would risk the safety of an Innocent Child, turns its attention from me long enough to leap out the window and make good my escape.

I am thankful that I left the Volare idling outside, if only because I didn’t want to turn it off and risk having to replace that loving starter with its quarter-inch of clearance.

If you just want to waste your afternoon, you can take a look at my "best of" collection, which are the ones that I still giggle about and/or thousands of people liked for some reason.

Other than that, you might be interested in some other poo poo that I wrote about :

I have a bunch of other projects and repairs on the go as well, but I also am super busy despite the horrendous bullshit pandemic we currently exist in. It's not fair; there was time now. Time for Klax.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Aww I have to post after Seat? I like to paint with watercolors and gouache. They definitely have a “I learned how to paint from YouTube” feel but I have fun.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I made an ornament. 3d printed. Laser cut.

Started in inkscape, sent over as .svg.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

beep-beep car is go posted:

Aww I have to post after Seat? I like to paint with watercolors and gouache. They definitely have a “I learned how to paint from YouTube” feel but I have fun.

Like that is any less awesome than seat's stuff! :aaaaa:

Beep coming outta nowhere with the bob ross vibes, bep coming out with some on point 2020 festive decorations! (And of course seat's always amazing stories and cat's rally stuff minus his photos for the minute) It being AI, we all go "ok, car goons", but I love threads like these where we all get to see the other sides of each other and the cool stuff we do. :kimchi:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I’m a happily married man but I’ve been getting reacquainted with this redhead I used to know three years back or more. Always a bit of a primadonna but she’d been in a neglectful relationship, broke down and got knocked off her feet a while. We used to have a thing some 20 years back before I married my wife. She knows of course and we’re all cool and all, but that’s not the point. The point is..well you know when you’ve been in a relationship a while you end up knowing things without anything explicitly said? A look, a stance, or just body language in general; well this redhead, it’s abundantly clear she wants me, like inside her, and the strange thing is my wife just knows and is totally encouraging. Ok maybe that’s not the strangest thing, I mean we’re adults and all and I know what a pineapple on the door means. Nope, the strangest thing is that I invited her, I said “honey, maybe we could do this together?” and she told me very plainly and with conviction that I should instead take our 16 year old son.

Anyway, I’m pretty sure it’s gonna happen later this week and you know what? I’m just fine with it. I’m gonna just let the boy go at her. We’ve already talked about it and he’s a bit nervous. It’s understandable, it'll be his first time, but we’ll see how nervous he is once she’s revved up and he’s close enough to feel the heat radiating from her engine.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Vegastar posted:

Okay fine I’ll do it.

We’re doing a challenge in one of the art hangout discords I’m in - take the oldest thing you’ve made and remake it from scratch to see how far you’ve come as an artist, and it was a ton of fun.

Very cool, I really like what you did there. Here is a similar thing in AI form:

Back in high school I was lucky enough to get my dream car for $400. It was a 1965 Volvo 122s (called an Amazon outside the US). I don't dream that big. Like a kid, I thrashed the car but I learned all kinds of things. I changed the engine twice, converted to fuel injection, custom installed a transmission from a different car, and even hacksawed the roof off, which led to its eventual rusty demise. But great times were had, and an emotional bond to a hunk of metal were formed.

1990:

Add another 19 years of experience and a lot more money, and a new version of the same car is in process:

Some painting was involved, so yeah it's art!

The project is sort of on hold, life has gotten in the way like it always does. But it will continue. For full goony detail see this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3689131

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

I love that thread. My dads first love was a blue 122s that he paid $1100 for in 1972. He still talks about that car.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

No car and only one functioning foot right now, so I designed and 3D printed a crutch-mounted cell phone holder so I don't always have to have pockets.

(pictured with my wife's old cell phone, but it fits my current phone + case like a charm)

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I'm not much of the creative type and my car... well the less said about her the better, but I did booger weld this pen holder together out of 1/8" steel coupons during class

And also this giant ashtray with blunt rest and bowl cleaner. I actually want this to not rust away like the last one, so it's going to be ground and painted soon...

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Hi new thread! Welcome to AI!

Uhhh this has been a righteously poo poo year for some creative outlets. I largely express creativity through making things from scratch or improving existing things. One of my passions to take something at the end of its lifecycle and turning it into something better than it ever was.

At an early age it was expression through drawing. Then came the hand tools. Then came power tools. Then came electronics. Then Drafting and CAD. Then came machine tools, casting, and 3d printing. Then came writing software. With every new discovery came more capability to express ideas. Then I met my spouse who works the same way.

back from march:

Couple more from this poo poo administration: https://imgur.com/a/j76SpnO

My husband and I bought and renovated this soggy truck camper over the span of 2020. it was a 7 month project involving a complete systems overhaul and enough epoxy to build a decent boat.

The truck it sits on was dragged out of a field in 2016 after sitting for a decade, taken most of the way apart, rebuilt and upgraded with everything from modern epoxies that hold Teslas together, Front and rear cameras with lane guidance, and a very basic on board computer. then turbocharged. It utilizes hydraulically boosted brakes from a F450 and some GM parts and air over leaf spring suspension for ride quality as trucks from this era rode...primitively. It's a cab chassis from the factory which means it never had a pickup bed, sits on a standardized heavy duty truck frame, with heavier duty suspension and axles. it all sits on 37" tall tires and entire setup sits at 6.5 tons.

The camper features 900W of solar, 3.6kWh of lithium battery, 3kW of inverter, and a 2.5kW emergency backup LP generator. 38 gallons fresh water capacity, 25 gallons black, and 24 gray. The onboard waterheater will run continuous duty if needed, and up to 9 gallons of supply via a mixing valve in resource saving mode. there's nearly 3" of insulation in the ceiling, 2" in the floors, and about 1.5-1.75 in the walls. Two separate heating systems and a 7.2 cubic foot twin compressor marine fridge. There's even a washing machine We extended the camper's slide in section to the width of the trucks' flatbed that gives us two 16cu-ft cargo bays.
There's a dual sim cat 12 modem on the roof currently that supplies our internet with an onboard microserver with 10TB storage and unifi's wifi gear. There's also amateur radio repeaters, a 3d printer, rework station for repairing electronics, and whats basically a small onboard shop.
Think of it like a portable manufacturing facility that'll run without a resupply for ~15 days.

Here's a pair of longish threads for burning some bandwidth.
Truck
camper

Some of the creativity involved. Dometic's switchpanels are awful, so I designed and printed one applicable to the build:

The original camper had cabinetry and such everywhere to obscure wiring. It was rotted, and generally inefficient as its a 20 year old design. They were ousted, but the wires had to be covered. 3D printed channels were designed, cemented into place, then painted.

Other things from this administration
I have an old motorcycle with a really lousy headlamp for night rides, much less night riding in the desert.

Yep, 3D printed a fix.
https://imgur.com/a/Gogm4iX

It's printed in annealed HTPLA which has a glass transition temperature of 170C. There's several parts on the bike now printed in this material.
Here's some more parts that I've made. These help reduce leg fatigue/arm pump on desert roller terrain. With a 470lb 100whp wannabe dirtbike, every little bit helps.
Some more parts made in metal

2019, ever watch The Martian?

Took a bunch of scrap nitro rc parts and built an autonomous model of the Ares rover. The cab is gone now, it has become a general purpose platform to bolt instruments to with the intent of mapping mines, caves, and unmanned areas. It'll also have duties of being a cell/wifi/amateur radio repeater. It's about the size of Nasa's Sojourner rover, weighs about 12kg, and has a operational speed of 55kph on a 180Wh pack. Think of it like a 6 wheel drive tricorder.

https://imgur.com/a/r2zueJH

3D printed door pulls, for said farm truck.
https://imgur.com/a/DAloGS6

Old server cases make great sheet stock for projects. The oil temps on the moto kept climbing out of comfortable range so a oil cooler was designed and fitted.

https://imgur.com/a/0ejLFVZ

I built up this old x230 to replace my x220t that has been around the world as I do more software development now and 768p is abysmal to code on.

https://imgur.com/a/HjXG0SN
I'm postin' from it now. I7-3520m, 16gb ram, 1tb ssd + 512gb ssd. corebooted, IME gutted, 1080p display, thinkslice gives me about 20 hours if i'm perusing the internet, and about 10 hours of dev time( :argh: vscode/pio). It lends nicely to travel as I'm just about never worried about an outlet.

And lastly, the thing I'm working on right now is an upgraded computer for the truck. The one I built for it a few years ago is very simple and the truck now needs more capability, like talking to the camper that resides on it, data logging, enhanced powertrain management, and active suspension management.
It's all housed in a MY2020 Mercedes Sprinter radio as it is single din as it can go where the current computer is, and most importantly, not stand out.

https://imgur.com/a/hDosJX7
It mostly works, and as of 2 days ago, got some of the front panel buttons working. Still a lot of software to write, a few 3d parts to design and print, then I can roll it into service and start focusing on the rover. It helps the current primitive one is abysmal to use.

Alrighty I'll stop here as this post is almost as long as this year has been.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
And on the complete opposite end of the productivity spectrum: I'm "building" a (electric standing)desk for a house we purchased and are moving into. WFH for the past 6 years, it's time to treat myself.

I had a local place glue together and plane a few pieces of Ash (roughly 72x35).
Top sanded to 320, bottom to... I don't know. maybe 200?

Threw down a few layers of shellac on the bottom.

Added some threaded inserts because I want to be able to take it apart without trashing it.

And this is just aft 2 coats of tung oil.

I'm 5 coats deep and think I'm about done, just letting it cure, then will throw it all together in the new office once we move in (hopefully in a week or two). Hope to show an update then.

All in all, not a ton of effort, but very excited to start using it soon.