Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

the OS is much smoother but I also miss being able to swipe left and right to go 'forward' and 'back' contextually, if that makes sense.

like in android if you went to settings, then down into keyboard settings, then swiped left, you'd go 'back' to the settings page. Does something like that exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Scionix posted:

the OS is much smoother but I also miss being able to swipe left and right to go 'forward' and 'back' contextually, if that makes sense.

like in android if you went to settings, then down into keyboard settings, then swiped left, you'd go 'back' to the settings page. Does something like that exist

yes, you swipe left or right

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Soricidus posted:

yes, you swipe left or right

oh drat you're a genius

I couldnt tell because iOS doesnt count the swipe unless you start it from the leftmost pixel on the screen

im also having trouble pressing and holding to select text half the time but I'm assuming its just my dumb android hands, I'm holding it wrong, etc, etc

on the plus side, text messages/convos are about 400 times better

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
nah text selection just sucks, and they keep making it worse for some reason

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LOL is there anyone tori isn't a huge jackass towards?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

planes and automobiles but not trains

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Scionix posted:

im also having trouble pressing and holding to select text half the time but I'm assuming its just my dumb android hands, I'm holding it wrong, etc, etc

current iOS broke text selection in a spectacular fashion. we are all suffering as dogs until someone at Apple figures out that this is total garbage

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i'm not happy to hear that the new ios is even worse, because the one i'm still on is loving garbage at text selection. it used to be real easy. just hold your finger on something and it would select it. now i have to tap a number of times to select things and even then it still doesn't work right all the time.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

double tap/triple tap works really well for plain words but anything with markup like editing a quoted post is terrible

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Scionix posted:

i just purchased an iphone 12 after using android my whole life

is there anything I should really do in the settings, to make the phone not sell my fingerprint to the fbi, or something to that effect.

I did turn off showing that I had read a text message. nice try tim

honestly there’s a handful of little poo poo gestures etc just fire up books and read through the ios manual

long press on spacebar on keyboard to move the cursor around in text boxes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PCjr sidecar posted:

honestly there’s a handful of little poo poo gestures etc just fire up books and read through the ios manual

long press on spacebar on keyboard to move the cursor around in text boxes

which works great, except when it doesn't, like all the ios 13+ text interaction

would you like to move the cursor to a line below the one it's in? you can't, so just keep tapping in the hopes that it finally figures out that you want to insert into the line below the one it keeps repeatedly selecting even though it's nowhere near where you've tapped the last ten times

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's also about 70/30 whether it will move the cursor or decide i'm trying to type something via the swype-style input

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Doc Block posted:

it’s a pittsburgh thing

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Doc Block posted:

pittsburgh sports figures, i believe

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

infernal machines posted:

it's also about 70/30 whether it will move the cursor or decide i'm trying to type something via the swype-style input

I turned off swype input because it kept triggering while I was trying to tap type

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
Lovin this forbes review where the m1 machines get poo poo on maybe has some decent points among a sea of poo poo, but its hard to take seriously because all the pictures are photos of a laptop screen instead of screenshots

https://www.forbes.com/sites/patrickmoorhead/2020/11/21/apple-macbook-pro-13-m1-reviewwhy-you-might-want-to-pass/?sh=6b2b8987786a

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
lol at wanting more ports. I’ve never used more than two ports at once on any laptop. plugging in external display, keyboard, mouse, etc is literally the one scenario where a dongle is the most convenient option.

also lol at wanting to run aaa games on a macbook

and like quadruple lol that one of the apps they tried to install is winzip. who the gently caress even uses winzip in 2020 let alone on a mac. wtf

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

Soricidus posted:

lol at wanting more ports. I’ve never used more than two ports at once on any laptop. plugging in external display, keyboard, mouse, etc is literally the one scenario where a dongle is the most convenient option.

also lol at wanting to run aaa games on a macbook

and like quadruple lol that one of the apps they tried to install is winzip. who the gently caress even uses winzip in 2020 let alone on a mac. wtf

luv2 run winzip and microsoft edge and AAA games on my macbook

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

WilWheaton posted:

Lovin this forbes review where the m1 machines get poo poo on maybe has some decent points among a sea of poo poo, but its hard to take seriously because all the pictures are photos of a laptop screen instead of screenshots

https://www.forbes.com/sites/patrickmoorhead/2020/11/21/apple-macbook-pro-13-m1-reviewwhy-you-might-want-to-pass/?sh=6b2b8987786a

moorhead worked for amd for years before starting his “strategy” company, which is really just tech blogging that charges more money to private companies for ‘reports’ and advice they could get by just reading the internet. that’s when he started blogging on forbes’ blog platform. he’s not really worth listening to imo.

fwiw most of forbes’ content these days isn’t actually forbes, it’s just trading on that brand. it’s like blogspot for c*os

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

it’s just trading on that brand. it’s like blogspot for c*os
tori cmos?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

WilWheaton posted:

luv2 run winzip and microsoft edge and AAA games on my macbook

microsoft edge is the best internet browser.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

haveblue posted:

I turned off swype input because it kept triggering while I was trying to tap type

it didn't even occur to me that you could turn it off. i've never used it intentionally, so it's off now.

also, keyboard setting being under general is a bit of an odd one. i do love trying to guess where any given setting has gone after every new major ios revision

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i like it when i search for a thing in settings and three identical results come up, but none of them are the actual thing i'm searching for

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
my uncle who works for Nintendo says they’re putting apple chips in the Super Switch

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
nintendo pippin 2020 edition

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Achmed Jones posted:

i like it when i search for a thing in settings and three identical results come up, but none of them are the actual thing i'm searching for

apple copying windows 10 again eh

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Doc Block posted:

I wasn’t a jackass, just pointing out that the person criticizing conspicuous consumption is a hypocrite.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

language and keyboard settings have been filed under 'general' literally forever

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I wasn’t a jackass, just pointing out that the person criticizing conspicuous consumption is a hypocrite.

AFAIK he was just pointing out that the current thing where people will buy an expensive laptop but then only use it as a less performant desktop machine is strange

RichestManInTown
May 1, 2004

People I meet keep getting torn into pieces.

infernal machines posted:

it didn't even occur to me that you could turn it off. i've never used it intentionally, so it's off now.

also, keyboard setting being under general is a bit of an odd one. i do love trying to guess where any given setting has gone after every new major ios revision

I like to have autocorrect off, because its more trouble than it’s worth, but leave swipe on as a kind of last ditch please-spell-this-for-me-timb option.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

RichestManInTown posted:

I like to have autocorrect off, because its more trouble than it’s worth, but leave swipe on as a kind of last ditch please-spell-this-for-me-timb option.
autocorrect off krew

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sometimes it fucks me off but it’s a cost i’m willing to pay for the help it does give me often

I just wish there was a quick way of pressing something to “undo” the autocorrect rather than now having to delete two words coz it’s “corrected” a word two words ago

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

echinopsis posted:

sometimes it fucks me off but it’s a cost i’m willing to pay for the help it does give me often

I just wish there was a quick way of pressing something to “undo” the autocorrect rather than now having to delete two words coz it’s “corrected” a word two words ago

that’s the worst, nearly, especially since hitting undo will just then remove what feels like a random number of words

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thing is a couple of times that has saved my butt, a typo two words ago gets turned into what I wanted

suppose all I want is a switch so that it only ever tries to autocorrect incorrectly spelled words

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
ottercorrect should suggest words, never replace them automatically,

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the worst is when it corrects three words at once and then after correcting all three it just decides to do it again

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
autocorrect off crew

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah you have to change the autocorrect three times before it gives up lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
honestly it wouldn’t be so bad if apple gave options

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital