Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I did not know that, huh! I wonder why that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Whose network would they ride on? T-Mobile doesn't have service in Canada

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I mean, international coverage is a big thing for them? It worked perfectly when I was in Canada and in Japan. Just took 5 minutes after airplane mode turned off for it to do its thing. It even gave me "welcome to Canada/Japan" messages.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Any of the big 3. Whichever has the best signal.

Fi is actually better and in many cases cheaper than Canadian plans. I've been using it for years.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
They talk big on the international coverage, but call into support with questions about it and the first thing on their script is how it's a bonus feature that they don't guarantee will work.

It did actually work fine in canada, though.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Yeah I ran into issues with it in Iceland, worked fine for a few days then just nothing, only thing we could sometimes get to work was wifi calling.

Support pretty much said :shrug: maybe it will work tomorrow?

Never had any issues in idk half a dozen other countries though.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yeah I am a Fi user and a Canadian living in the US, and have had no trouble using Fi in Canada/the UK/France, but I don't think they're going to sell plans on roaming agreements.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My Google Fi VPN IP address is in Mexico today.

Here is the one from Canada

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

FogHelmut posted:

My Google Fi VPN IP address is in Mexico today.

Here is the one from Canada

Your phone took a nice vacation.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Got a notification about a new VPN for my phone from Google One. Worth using?

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

FogHelmut posted:

So does that mean there's going to be no chat within the Gmail window?

Yes, Chat has the same kind of popup conversations that hangouts does within Gmail. Though personally I find it more useful to open a separate tab for chat given all the ongoing rooms and multi-person conversations.

Source: :smug:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I hit the data cap on the unlimited plan for the month and holy poo poo it’s basically impossible to do anything on the internet. The forums will barely even load. It also apparently shuts off the ability to use the phone as a hotspot. This is terrible.

E: 0.2 mbps

fknlo fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 20, 2020

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Yeah the throttled internet is literally not usable for anything modern.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Javid posted:

Yeah the throttled internet is literally not usable for anything modern.

I figured I wouldn't be able to watch videos and whatever. I ended up having to opt into the full speed to be able to do anything at all. It's pretty ridiculous.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Oh cool. Another web messaging page where I need to scan a QR code with my phone to login from a computer in a room where I can't have a phone.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Laranzu posted:

Oh cool. Another web messaging page where I need to scan a QR code with my phone to login from a computer in a room where I can't have a phone.
I feel your pain.
I can't have a phone 8/10 hours of my shift

Google voice forwarded from your usual cell or some sort of paid Pushbullet thing then?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
https://fi.google.com/about/phones/pixel-4a-5g

I see that one can get a 4a5G for $300 on Fi, but it's for new customers. If I had a Fi account years ago, would I be considered a new customer or a returning one?

I clicked through one page and it asked about "reactivating" my account, so I'm not sure which it is.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Uthor posted:

I see that one can get a 4a5G for $300 on Fi, but it's for new customers. If I had a Fi account years ago, would I be considered a new customer or a returning one?

I clicked through one page and it asked about "reactivating" my account, so I'm not sure which it is.

I rejoined Fi recently, it wouldn’t let me use a referral code from someone.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Youtube music sucks. Went looking for a particular album and evidently it didn't download when I got grabbed my whole music library through Google. Naturally now they want me to pay for premium to download the loving stuff.

Anybody using a third party app for music? I use it in the car and stream to a speaker at home all the time.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Most people are doing Poweramp and manual library management or running a Plex server. I went with MediaMonkey for the time being as I use that on my desktop, but the app isn't the nicest.

Kinda moot right now as I'm listening to music on my phone appropriately 0 minutes per month these days. But I couldn't use YouTube Music in my mom's car without paying for a subscription (:wtc:), so set this up.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

a mysterious cloak posted:

Youtube music sucks. Went looking for a particular album and evidently it didn't download when I got grabbed my whole music library through Google. Naturally now they want me to pay for premium to download the loving stuff.

Anybody using a third party app for music? I use it in the car and stream to a speaker at home all the time.

We've been using Amazon Music for a couple years now and like it pretty well.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I thought they stopped letting you upload your own music.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Uthor posted:

You could always make another google account if you want to be a new customer (well, maybe, I don't know if they cross reference names and addresses), but existing customers get $150 off the 4a 5G, so
it's $349. I actually just bought it to upgrade from my Pixel 1.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I don't actually want/need the 5G, I was just hoping to find a 4a for $300. If it's $350, I may as well get a regular one and keep my current service.

Plus, I disliked Fi when I had it, though it'd probably be acceptable now that I don't leave the house. Though my service would go to poo poo sometimes even at home cause it would switch to a terrible tower.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Uthor posted:

Plus, I disliked Fi when I had it, though it'd probably be acceptable now that I don't leave the house. Though my service would go to poo poo sometimes even at home cause it would switch to a terrible tower.
You can switch towers manually with dialer codes or fiswitch app.

At work I get 5g or full LTE tmobile outside, but where I take break I switch it to us cellular 3g manually because nothing else penetrates the metal roof and walls.

Sometimes it does it automatically all day, other days I force it because it really wants LTE for 2 seconds then no signal.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

You can switch towers manually with dialer codes or fiswitch app.

Yes, I know. Having to manually switch towers was one of the things that made me drop Fi.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Rexxed posted:

You could always make another google account if you want to be a new customer (well, maybe, I don't know if they cross reference names and addresses), but existing customers get $150 off the 4a 5G, so
it's $349. I actually just bought it to upgrade from my Pixel 1.
How do you feel about this? I have a pixel 1 and am considering it, but am worried I will hate it being even bigger. I'm considering the non-5g version because it's 5.8" vs 6.2" but both seem way too big. The pixel one is a little big as it is at 5".

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Pixel stand (Google's first-party Qi wireless charging stand) on sale on Amazon and Google for $40 (normally $80).

I know this isn't specific to Google Fi, but I figure there are probably a lot of Pixel owners in this thread.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Uthor posted:

I don't actually want/need the 5G, I was just hoping to find a 4a for $300. If it's $350, I may as well get a regular one and keep my current service.

You'd be locked in for 2 years, but you can do the 4a subscription for $216 if you decline the phone warranty. It is $9/mo or $15/mo with warranty, but I don't see the point in paying $144 over 2 years for a $216 phone's warranty.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Bloodplay it again posted:

You'd be locked in for 2 years, but you can do the 4a subscription for $216 if you decline the phone warranty. It is $9/mo or $15/mo with warranty, but I don't see the point in paying $144 over 2 years for a $216 phone's warranty.

Interesting, but where do you see that?

I see $9/month only if I have the protection plan, $14.54/month for the device only.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Uthor posted:

Interesting, but where do you see that?

I see $9/month only if I have the protection plan, $14.54/month for the device only.

When I go to fi.google.com and click the subscription button while signed in, it takes me to this page. It's $15/mo by default until you uncheck device protection, which brings it down to $9/mo, unless I'm missing something. I can't see the final price without going through a credit check, so I haven't gone past that point.

Also worth noting you can't pay it off early and you're responsible for full MSRP, not promo price, of the phone if you cancel within 24 months.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Ah, okay, same. I'm not quite ready to do a credit check to see what the final price is, either.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

How do you feel about this? I have a pixel 1 and am considering it, but am worried I will hate it being even bigger. I'm considering the non-5g version because it's 5.8" vs 6.2" but both seem way too big. The pixel one is a little big as it is at 5".

I owned a Nexus 6 before the Pixel and while I liked the Pixel overall, I thought it could be a little bit bigger. I know that the Nexus 6 made my Nexus 7 tablet less useful since it felt large enough to watch youtube or streams, but the pixel feels a little small for it. The only reason I didn't get the Pixel XL was because I bought mine as scratch and dent from woot for a couple hundred bucks knowing I'd have to fix it myself (and I did replace the battery, and broke the screen doing it, so then I had to replace that, too). They didn't have the XL on that sale.

So after the Nexus 6, I know I like larger phones, and I found the main downside was that it takes longer to get it out of jeans pocket. However, I also got into wearing smart watches while I owned the Nexus 6. I don't think it was a consequence of the larger phone but it does help to see if it is worthwhile to get my phone out to take or reject a call, or see who a text or email was from and get the title of emails. I also like using it as a paired device for smart lock and seeing the weather on my wrist.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Uthor posted:

Ah, okay, same. I'm not quite ready to do a credit check to see what the final price is, either.

I just did it. Appears to be showing the $9/mo

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

Pixel stand (Google's first-party Qi wireless charging stand) on sale on Amazon and Google for $40 (normally $80).

I know this isn't specific to Google Fi, but I figure there are probably a lot of Pixel owners in this thread.

Is it better than any generic sub $20 stand charger?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

FogHelmut posted:

I've owned it for 1.5 years and no, not really

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

a mysterious cloak posted:

I've been using Hi-fi Cast to play both local files and files on my Windows Media server. It works great. Sometimes it pauses and asks for money to eliminate ads, but I haven't seen any ads--just the pause in music. I'll probably pay for it eventually.

I uninstalled YT Music when I realized I couldn't turn the loving screen off when listening to their curated, themed playlists anymore--because they were all videos now, natch. AccuRadio fills that niche for me now.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

If you like the party trick where it can "do things" while on the charger maybe it's worth it. All I care about is when I drop it on mine it's on DND so nobody not favorited in my contacts can blow through on notifications. It's possible you can make that happen automatically on a generic Qi charger but I don't know.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Hirayuki posted:

I uninstalled YT Music when I realized I couldn't turn the loving screen off when listening to their curated, themed playlists anymore--because they were all videos now, natch. AccuRadio fills that niche for me now.

You can definitely listen to things after closing a YouTube video, unless it's different for these curated things? It's a dumb process: get the video to overlay your screen, close it, pull down notifications tab, play through there.

I've stuck with YTM so far and it's adequate for me, but I also have had 0 music of my own to upload, which I've read it is just rear end at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I swapped to Spotify after they shut off GPM. YTM was really bad when I used it