Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

abelwingnut posted:

i love bryant. he deserves better than the cubs. hopefully he goes somewhere and prospers.

why couldn't they have treated him like rizzo? rizzo's basically a golden god, and fully deserving of that status. he can do whatever. but bryant was always...not, but deserved it. he was just never fully accepted for some reason.

it's a real shame.

They supposedly offered him $200 million. So it's not like they want him to go. Him and his agent think he should be getting Rendon money despite not being nearly as good as him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Niwrad posted:

They supposedly offered him $200 million. So it's not like they want him to go. Him and his agent think he should be getting Rendon money despite not being nearly as good as him.

That $200 million offer never happened, both Boras and the team denied it. It was something silly made up by a beat writer.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Cubs won a labor dispute with Bryant and also somehow let it drag on for like four years. Seems obvious the team hosed up that relationship early on

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bawfuls posted:

The Cubs won a labor dispute with Bryant and also somehow let it drag on for like four years. Seems obvious the team hosed up that relationship early on

the end result of that skullduggery and bullshit was that the cubs got an extra 50 games out of bryant with a sub- .700 OPS, maybe his lovely season was some sort of Industrial Action.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
The Braves signed Jack Mayfield, presumably to compete with Adeiny Hechevarria for the all-important "lovely utility infielder" roster spot.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

bawfuls posted:

I'm pretty convinced that he'll explode back to really good once he's on a team that gives a poo poo about him/the players.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Speaking of trades the Rays DFAed Hunter Renfroe (who is now a .150 hitting corner infielder, I don’t blame them) so all that’s left from the Pham trade is the slapdick prospect. :rip:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The recent steroid chat made me think of my all-time favorite love/hate child, Ser Barrold

I am not fond of the steroid era because it has hosed single season and lifetime stats all to hell. Bonds was one of my favorite players by 1990 and also one of the one I hated the most, because he was a dick.

I grew to hate him and love him even more over time, and for the same reasons. But we know for sure 1998 was the last season Bonds was playing naturally. It's in spring training of 1999 when he first shows up with back acne and looking noticeably bigger, and this is because he got pissed no one noticed that he became the first (and likely the only ever) 400/400 player the year before. Nobody noticed because McGwire and Sosa were on their way to 70 and 66 dingers in 1998, and Bonds' ego simply could not take this.

But look at his numbers through that last clean season, age 33:

411 homers and 445 SB, OPS of .966? loving WHAT?!?

Add in a couple of seasons on the age decline, he probably ends up with close to 500 HR and a great career OPS. His postseason performances would have dogged him forever but these career numbers are impossible to argue against. If you look at the time he really started to figure things out, through the end of the clean years (age 25-33), he slashed 305/438/600.

Holy poo poo. A total lock for the HoF.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I have one eternal steroid era take I will stick by, which is that both Sosa and McGwire deserve to be in the Hall. Yes they were both obviously juicing. Yes if you really tear into both their stats they probably don't deserve to be in without the juice. But the '98 Home Run Chase is one of the most iconic seasons in all of MLB and arguably helped save the sport by bringing a ton of new and old fans back in after the '94 lockouts soured a lot of people. I am close to but not quite 30, and not only was the home run chase what changed me from "dumbass kid who occasionally watches baseball when my dad has it on" to "legit MLB fan", pretty much every person I know around my age who's into baseball cites the chase as what originally hooked them into the sport. It was such an important footnote in the sport's history that both deserve to be in even if PED's were fueling the whole thing. The BBWAA has let in a ton of guys who later talked openly about drinking out of the coffee pot with dissolved greenies in it between innings instead of the "normal" pot, so I'm not sure why we've drawn a line where anybody who even whiffs of steroids in the 90's is blacklisted from the hall forever.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
SAS in a nutshell:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
That said I've been on the Bonds HoF train since 2007.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I mean, I recognize that the Hall of Fame as an institution is basically pointless, as is the entire sport of baseball, but if Bonds doesn't get it, what's the point of having the loving thing? I feel like everyone that makes the argument "B-b-b-but he was a HoFer before he juiced, he didn't need it!" is pretty much admitting that he belongs there. Clemens, too.

Schilling stays out though. :v:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
cheating is bad and Barry bonds is a wife beating piece of poo poo.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

If my post came across as "I don't think Bonds belongs in the Hall", I said it wrong. I absolutely believe he belongs in there.

I just wanted to point out how great he was before PEDs. IMO he is the single greatest hitter I have seen in my lifetime, and it would be so even if he retired rather than juiced.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Say what you want about Herr Schillinger but as far as I know he never tooled on his wife like Bonds did.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Is there a Hall of Fame thread?

Because you can debate Bonds and such if you want, but voting for nobody is a special move:
https://twitter.com/notmrtibbs/status/1330279971198210048?s=21

Anyways cause I'm bored here's who I'd vote for: Todd Helton, Andruw Jones, Manny Ramirez, Scott Rolen, Gary Sheffield, Sammy Sosa, Billy Wagner

Dingers, Gold Glovers, no wifebeaters/racists (that I know of), and one of the best closers of all time.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Apparently Vlad Jr has lost 40 pounds since July, 20 of which since the season ended. He says he wants to lose 10 more to be at 235.

So he was playing at 285 at the start of the 2020 season. Chonky! Also, that seems like a lot of weight lost relatively quickly? I'm a skinny lanky bastard so I dunno if thats normal or not

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

mentholmoose posted:

Because you can debate Bonds and such if you want, but voting for nobody is a special move:

Voting for no one should result in your ballot being taken away.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i'm debating who the funniest guy would be to get only one vote on that dipstick's ballot and have decided it is nick swisher.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
god HOF voters are the absolute pinnacle of the most pointless piece of lovely power corrupting the most fragile morons

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mentholmoose posted:

ultimate small hall move lol

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Submitting a blank ballot should be grounds for losing your vote for being a grandstanding baby

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Bonds, Schilling, Sosa

Hall of Fame not hall of stats.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

davecrazy posted:

Bonds, Schilling, Sosa

Hall of Fame not hall of stats.

What combo of factors includes this specific set of 3 but not Clemens? He covers the rear end in a top hat and PDA bases and is more famous than Schilling.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I want Omar because its a Hall of Guys I Like damnit.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Apparently Vlad Jr has lost 40 pounds since July, 20 of which since the season ended. He says he wants to lose 10 more to be at 235.

So he was playing at 285 at the start of the 2020 season. Chonky! Also, that seems like a lot of weight lost relatively quickly? I'm a skinny lanky bastard so I dunno if thats normal or not

Depends if it's fat, chonk, or what. A strict diet and if he's just strength and conditioning training the whole time since the season ended... Yeah probably. Key parts sticking to the diet and that's easy if he has help.

I did 80 in about a year and wasn't anywhere near as perfect as a dedicated, professional athlete could be.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I'm really tired of Mets fans acting like Steve Cohen is the second coming of Jesus, even if his Twitter is funny and he's going to spend a lot of money on the team. gently caress.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Yea all owners are terrible etc but some excitement is warranted give the departure of the Wilpons and the nature of the sale to Cohen since it wasn’t a leveraged buyout.

It’s the offseason anyway what else is there haha

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Reality will come crashing down on Mets fans soon enough, might as well let them indulge in the fantasy of the Benevolent Billionaire for now.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
all billionaires are terrible by definition but I'd rather have a terrible billionaire owner who wants to spend money on the team than a terrible billionaire owner who doesn't

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Or a pretending Millionaire who is using his team to pay off his Ponzi scheme losses and puts his moron son in charge of baseball operations.

idontpoast
Jul 10, 2020

by Athanatos

Intruder posted:

make steroids mandatory

I've said it once I'll say it again. Steroids are anti-labor.

Just as you wouldn't want a factory to have a culture that tolerates use of cocaine so the forklift drivers can work longer shifts (and possibly get people killed) you should want the MLB to be hardcore anti-steroids. We already know they have incredibly dangerous side effects including higher risk of disease, as well as domestic violence. If any steroid use is tolerated, it creates an upwards pressure for non-users to start using to try and keep up with the cheaters.

elentar posted:

I am genuinely not trying to be a bitch about this, I understand full well that steroids extend careers and preserve velocity etc. and that turning a blind eye to them would make them basically mandatory for everyone, with all the consequences that entails. I just don’t get how steroids would help you BABIP .383, and it send like if you’re doing that at age 27 rather than 37 then it’s a legit part of your locker regardless, and it seems like an odd point to throw out the stats for an eye test.

I mean, whatever, batting titles are basically noise anyway, right?

If you could take two identical players in terms of bat-on-ball ability, plate vision,timing,and power. Then gave the 2nd player more power, his average would be higher because all of player 1s warning track outs would become dingers.

Theres also a lot of less obvious ways it would help. Being able to work more hours training with the juice. Recovering quicker from play-thru injuries so you don't have a week of batting .100 while your back is sore, etc.

idontpoast fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 22, 2020

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I want beefy boys to slap the long ball

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

GalacticAcid posted:

Yea all owners are terrible etc but some excitement is warranted give the departure of the Wilpons and the nature of the sale to Cohen since it wasn’t a leveraged buyout.

It’s the offseason anyway what else is there haha

SOME excitement is indeed warranted, but I feel like everywhere I look, someone is way too excited. And they never shut the hell up.

I guess there really isn't anything better to do though.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Shiroc posted:

I want Omar because its a Hall of Guys I Like damnit.

:same:

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

mentholmoose posted:

Anyways cause I'm bored here's who I'd vote for: Todd Helton, Andruw Jones, Manny Ramirez, Scott Rolen, Gary Sheffield, Sammy Sosa, Billy Wagner

Dingers, Gold Glovers, no wifebeaters/racists (that I know of), and one of the best closers of all time.

Bonds, Clemens, Helton, Andruw, Kent, Manny, Schilling, Sheffield, Sosa, Wagner. Only 10 HOFers on the ballot, that's progress.

I could be persuaded on Pettitte and Rolen maybe.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

idontpoast posted:

If you could take two identical players in terms of bat-on-ball ability, plate vision,timing,and power. Then gave the 2nd player more power, his average would be higher because all of player 1s warning track outs would become dingers.

But player 1 would still be weak and have some slapdick bloopers fall in where that same ball off player 2's bat would now be a fly out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't imagine there's any kind of way to quantify it but I would assume "hit the ball harder/farther" beats out "bloopey little hit that's funny" in terms of how often it might help. But again, that reduces PEDs to the simplified idea of "get stronger" instead of all the real benefits they have of speeding up recovery and healing time (which in turn lets you work out harder amongst other things and often get stronger).

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If you can swing a bat faster because youre stronger and less injury prone than you will also hit the ball harder and hitting the ball harder results in higher batting averages even if you don't hit more homeruns.

There's a lot of benefits to steroids beyond hitting monster homeruns. Having a faster bat speed allows you to see a pitch longer, that alone is a big benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Steroids also significantly up your recovery time, and I imagine being less sore come game time is not an insignificant advantage.