Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

CelticPredator posted:

Predator 2 rules you donut

No no you fool, all sequels are inherently a crime against cinema and I proved it in my Film Studies dissertation.

*farts into a microphone until he follows through*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljEC7HKbP0g

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This is the way

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hating sequels feels like a mindset totally set in the nineties to me. Weird, outdated thinking that's not backed up by any actual facts about the quality of sequels.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Bill Paxton remains the only person to be murdered by the Terminator, the Predator and a Xenomorph.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gonz posted:

Bill Paxton remains the only person to be murdered by the Terminator, the Predator and a Xenomorph.

Lance Henrikson.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

CelticPredator posted:

Lance Henrikson.

Oh hell, that's right! He was in Terminator.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gonz posted:

Every character in both Mortal Kombat X and XI. :black101:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I just saw an ad for The Croods 2. They're actually going to release in theaters this week. WTF is Universal thinking. It's a cartoon kids movie. Just dump it on VOD. Everyone is going to be home Thanksgiving weekend anyway.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Hating sequels feels like a mindset totally set in the nineties to me. Weird, outdated thinking that's not backed up by any actual facts about the quality of sequels.

sequels arent better now and theres even more of them

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Farm Frenzy posted:

sequels arent better now and theres even more of them

Sequels have always been fine on the whole, and there's no more of them per film being made now than ever. Again, it's not based on reality. It's Boomer talk.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
In 1999 4 of the 10 highest grossing movies were sequels or remakes. 20 years later in 2019 1 of the top 10 wasn't. And it was Joker.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Sequels have always been fine on the whole, and there's no more of them per film being made now than ever. Again, it's not based on reality. It's Boomer talk.

yes its a subjective opinion of art. you are the boomer for insisting that everything is fine and denying my lived experience.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

complaining about sequels in a world where cinematic universes are a thing

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://deadline.com/2020/11/short-circuit-remake-spyglass-media-group-latinx-jolt-1234615264/

EXCLUSIVE: Spyglass Media Group has set a remake of the 1986 film Short Circuit, bringing on the writing team of Eduardo Cisneros and Jason Shuman to put a Latinx twist on the screenplay for the family film. The original was directed by John Badham and starred Ally Sheedy, Steve Guttenberg and Fisher Stevens in a comedy that centered around Number 5, an experimental military robot that is struck by lightning and gains a human-like intelligence.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
They can remake Short Circuit all they want as long as they don't touch Short Circuit 2.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Lid posted:

https://deadline.com/2020/11/short-circuit-remake-spyglass-media-group-latinx-jolt-1234615264/

EXCLUSIVE: Spyglass Media Group has set a remake of the 1986 film Short Circuit, bringing on the writing team of Eduardo Cisneros and Jason Shuman to put a Latinx twist on the screenplay for the family film. The original was directed by John Badham and starred Ally Sheedy, Steve Guttenberg and Fisher Stevens in a comedy that centered around Number 5, an experimental military robot that is struck by lightning and gains a human-like intelligence.

someone feel free to quote me later but i bet michael pena is gonna be the father of the family or the robot

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

someone feel free to quote me later but i bet michael pena is gonna be the father of the family or the robot

And in an amazing bit of reverence for the source material, he will also be an Indian.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Lid posted:

Is the robot going to identify as latinx?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Ego-bot posted:

This time it's the robot that's going to be the offensive stereotype.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

8one6 posted:

This time it's the robot that's going to be the offensive stereotype.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Lid posted:

Bit they already made Chappie?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

PeterCat posted:

That had an Afrikaner twist.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

That had an Afrikaner twist.

You're forgetting Chappie's uncle, AMERIKA, who taught him his love of cocaine.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You're forgetting Chappie's uncle, AMERIKA, who taught him his love of cocaine.

This might be my favorite post on the forums

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FlamingLiberal posted:

The director of 10 Cloverfield Lane is going to direct yet another Predator movie, which will not have anything to do with the 2018 movie.

https://www.ign.com/articles/new-predator-movie-in-the-works-with-10-cloverfield-lane-director

They should just call it Predator.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Ego-bot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq2sfbANtak&t=15s

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

PeterCat posted:

Chappie's like the two Short Circuit movies merged together and replaces Fisher Steven's brownface role with an actual high-quality Indian-descended actor.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fisher Stevens has since apologized for the whole brownface thing saying that it happened early in his career where he couldn't really turn down parts but he does regret doing it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Remo Williams, which came out the year before, was nominated for a Best Make-Up Oscar for turning Joel Grey into a Korean.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I had just finished listening to the Remo Williams episode of We Hate Movies and always thought that movie was an Indiana Jones knock off instead of lovely American James Bond.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

They can remake Short Circuit all they want as long as they don't touch Short Circuit 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMm7QA7icbs

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Johnny 5's heroism and sparkling personality make the iron giant look like a pusillanimous paint mixer.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOGSwRe-QPM

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Vince MechMahon posted:

There was this weird plague of random sequels in the late 80s/early 90s where seemingly anything that had made money got a follow-up. Mostly comedies and light fantasies, so Look Who's Talking Too, Short Circuit 2, Honey We Blew Up the Kid, Crocodile Dundee 2, even Arthur got a sequel nobody asked for. I wonder if that influenced people's opinions. (This may also have been a hangover effect from the writer's strike of '87, I'm not sure.)

(I also wonder how much of the bad reputation remakes have is down to the 1973 Lost Horizon musical, but that's harder to prove.)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

There was this weird plague of random sequels in the late 80s/early 90s where seemingly anything that had made money got a follow-up. Mostly comedies and light fantasies, so Look Who's Talking Too, Short Circuit 2, Honey We Blew Up the Kid, Crocodile Dundee 2, even Arthur got a sequel nobody asked for. I wonder if that influenced people's opinions. (This may also have been a hangover effect from the writer's strike of '87, I'm not sure.)

(I also wonder how much of the bad reputation remakes have is down to the 1973 Lost Horizon musical, but that's harder to prove.)

Is it really that random though? What I want is the per movie made numbers of how many movies in any given period were sequels. Like if they made 100 movies in 1945 and 10 of them were sequels, but they made 300 in 1985 but 100 were sequels, then there's a case to be made. But if only around 30 were sequels then there's no argument.

They've always made sequels and cash ins since movies were a thing. Look at how many Andy Hardy movies they made back in the day, sixteen in less than ten years. That's some Marvel poo poo, but in the thirties. People just don't remember them anymore because why the gently caress would you, and then act like sequels being made often is a new thing.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Maxwell Lord posted:

Most of the movies you mentioned made a shitload of money so a sequel was inevitable, mostly because the taste at the time was so goddamn bad. Most of them weren’t expected to be hits, so the sequels are even more ridiculous because nobody was prepared to sit down and write Three Men and a Little Lady.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hot Shots Part Deux was also made in the 90s and is good, therefore I side with sequels being made is good.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that's the thing, a lot of the sequels were to movies that really didn't leave much room if any for a sequel.

Granted this is a common thing with comedies. Most comedies are written with some kind of character arc in mind and there's usually a happy ending involving character growth for the protagonists and a new, more sustainable status quo. So to make a sequel you have to say "actually, no." The Hangover sequels are a good example (I still think the first was a good movie but man they beat that premise into the ground), arguably even Austin Powers which has to completely undo Austin's arc from the original so he can still try and shag everything in sight.

The balance has partly shifted somewhat to sequels to movies that actually were made with sequels in mind.

One thing I think may have changed- and again this may require statistical analysis- was that diminishing returns were almost always a given. A sequel would make less than the movie that spawned it, because not everybody who saw the movie will see the sequel and the people who missed the first movie won't bother with the second. Nowadays everyone can catch up via streaming so that assumption is less true, and it's not uncommon to see sequels outperform the original (though that may be balanced out by there still being plenty of sequels that outright flop.) Sequels didn't used to be among the top grossers of the year because they were never meant to be, they were more of a safe bet and schedule filler (and sometimes a way of amortizing costs from a film that was very expensive.)

If studios seem more risk-averse than ever these days that may be more owing to the shrinking of the mid-budget slate, where many of your surprise hits and original stories come from- Robocop wasn't supposed to be a big film and Orion didn't really know what they had until the first test screenings, for example. But then we just had Knives Out last year, so it's not like those are dead either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I believe this is real