Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

infernal machines posted:

it's also about 70/30 whether it will move the cursor or decide i'm trying to type something via the swype-style input

the swipe is cute and all but i cant force myself to practice new muscle memory after learning graffiti on palmos so i turned it off instantly. rip to a real one

it also only exists for small devices which is silly

Soricidus posted:

and like quadruple lol that one of the apps they tried to install is winzip. who the gently caress even uses winzip in 2020 let alone on a mac. wtf

not that it needs a compression app but lol keka has been crushing and decrushing it for years

loving winzip on mac. bet that guy paid for license too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
also very bad is when it changes a word into a name but one you have never typed and dont have in your contacts.

like if you wanted to type anime and it corrects it into samantha.

or when it autocorrects a name into a weird name that is definitely not that, like trying to type James and it corrects it into johan

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
in conclusion, autocorrect is bad

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I once experienced the holy grail and if I didn’t see it with my own eyes I would never have believed it but I wrote duck and it tried to change it to gently caress AND IN FACT IT JUST HAPPENED NOW

:chanpop: :worship:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
protip: the left suggestion in the suggestion bar is always exactly what you typed so you can tell autocorrect to move on

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I want apple to bring back the Xserve compute node but its got like 8 of their own CPUs in it, then tell companies 'you will pay the $50 premium for the bezels to look good and to impress execs, it will not have sheet metal which will slice your hands open, and it will save you $5k in power over its life'

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

like if you wanted to type anime

:chloe:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

example sentence: "anime is blood"

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

Raluek posted:

example sentence: "anime is blood"

cartoons is crips

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

echinopsis posted:

honestly it wouldn’t be so bad if apple gave options

how dare you think apple doesn't know what's best for you

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

haveblue posted:

protip: the left suggestion in the suggestion bar is always exactly what you typed so you can tell autocorrect to move on

not always. sometimes it's three completely different options and the thing you typed is actually in the little black balloon over the word. i honestly haven't been able to understand the circumstances behind that.

i finally turned off suggestions and capitalizations and swyyyype and i think it might be sort of not awful

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Wild EEPROM posted:

autocorrect off crew

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Jimmy Carter posted:

I want apple to bring back the Xserve compute node but its got like 8 of their own CPUs in it, then tell companies 'you will pay the $50 premium for the bezels to look good and to impress execs, it will not have sheet metal which will slice your hands open, and it will save you $5k in power over its life'

the original xserves were the jankiest cheap rail rough cut sheetmetal edged sub-supermico discount poo poo because apple knows server touchers deserve to suffer

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Doc Block posted:

AFAIK he was just pointing out that the current thing where people will buy an expensive laptop but then only use it as a less performant desktop machine is strange

Oh. Oh well, he should be used to me yelling incoherently at him by this point.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
bring back the apple network server chonky boys

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
cool looks like Apple found and fixed the problem with the Lock Screen freezing on the iPhone mini

thapple

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
also thanks Apple for correctly capitalizing Lock Screen, Apple, iPhone, HyperCard, Smart Stack etc

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

don't forget Touch Bar, two words that obviously must be branded at all times

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
SwiftKey is better than the built in keyboard. It either never does the multi word auto correct or else does it so rarely that I don't even notice. The only thing I don't like is that you can't make it delete the whole swiped word with a single backspace like I think you can with the built in one.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
swiping your keyboard is good

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
wish someone would swipe yours!!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Soricidus posted:

wish someone would swipe yours!!
:rackem:

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

The only iOS I've used is my current iPad. It's great for reading comics, better experience than I've ever had on Android, but I am just terrible at getting around the UI. The one thing that really confuses me is the notifications. Right now, I am being shown 4 recent emails, then a break and a section called "Notification Center" and another notification for 95 emails and an "X" that lets me clear the notifications, but that clears all the notifications, not just the ones in the notification center. No idea why any of it is being displayed that way.

That and I can't figure out a way to save a PDF from Chrome or have it open in anything other than the browser. Yesterday, I downloaded a text PDF to my desktop, put it onto OneDrive, and downloaded it through my comic reader so I could read it by "flipping" the pages instead of scrolling an infinite screen.

When I set it up, I turned on iMessage but did not link my phone number to it. Then I noticed a bunch of messages from days prior where my landlord was trying to text me, but his iPhone was sending them to iMessage instead of my actual phone number, so they were going to a device that I don't pick up for days or weeks at a time.

I wouldn't mind getting an iPhone for their longevity (especially with updates), but I kinda hate using the iPad outside of the actual apps.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Encrypted posted:

The only iOS I've used is my current iPad. It's great for reading comics, better experience than I've ever had on Android, but I am just terrible at getting around the UI. The one thing that really confuses me is the notifications. Right now, I am being shown 4 recent emails, then a break and a section called "Notification Center" and another notification for 95 emails and an "X" that lets me clear the notifications, but that clears all the notifications, not just the ones in the notification center. No idea why any of it is being displayed that way.

That and I can't figure out a way to save a PDF from Chrome or have it open in anything other than the browser. Yesterday, I downloaded a text PDF to my desktop, put it onto OneDrive, and downloaded it through my comic reader so I could read it by "flipping" the pages instead of scrolling an infinite screen.

When I set it up, I turned on iMessage but did not link my phone number to it. Then I noticed a bunch of messages from days prior where my landlord was trying to text me, but his iPhone was sending them to iMessage instead of my actual phone number, so they were going to a device that I don't pick up for days or weeks at a time.

I wouldn't mind getting an iPhone for their longevity (especially with updates), but I kinda hate using the iPad outside of the actual apps.

ew ios chrome

but more to your issue, you’ll want to use the share icon, which gives you the ability to save or share or open in other apps. idk about chrome but in safari you can often long press to save a link.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
got my Macbook Pro today. Installed Xcode and Visual Studio for Mac. Not only did VS For Mac run faster on the M1, but it also didn't kick up the fans at all. Despite multiple recompiles and deployments of my iOS app, despite the whole dev stack not being fully ported to the M1.

and I was running it off of battery during this, and it barely went down at all.

and the iOS simulator is smart enough to switch between x86 and ARM when deploying builds intended for those architectures. So I can work on a Xamarin app, then switch to my Swift app, and it just works.

i knew going it that it would be good, but wow.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 24, 2020

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

m1x

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

sir m1x-a-lot

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

packing up my 2013 13” mba for trade-in against a new m1 mba and drat. what a great keyboard and what a nice little laptop this was. one of the greats

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

packing up my 2013 13” mba for trade-in against a new m1 mba and drat. what a great keyboard and what a nice little laptop this was. one of the greats
i have a mba from 2014 which i assume is pretty much identical and it’s gr8 (apart from the screen which looks real lowres by 2020 standards)

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kenny Logins posted:

did you trade in on Apple?. I’ve had one for a couple years sitting around but don’t need anything new right now

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Hed posted:

did you trade in on Apple?. I’ve had one for a couple years sitting around but don’t need anything new right now
i’m using the apple trade-in partner (phobio) yes, they quoted $210CAD which is fair for a 7 year old stock MBA. I babied the thing so hopefully will get that or close to it. I’d bring it to a local reseller for their trade-in, or the official fruit stand a couple hours away, but for 🦠

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

i have a mba from 2014 which i assume is pretty much identical and it’s gr8 (apart from the screen which looks real lowres by 2020 standards)
yeah the screen and bezel is just really hard to go back to, but 2014 was a spec bump (processor speed, + battery life) over 2013

i do miss the sd card slot too. i used it as expandable memory for movies/tv shows since i got the 2018 mba and just played from appletv when not in use as a house laptop

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

agree with all and also pouring one out for magsafe

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

agree with all and also pouring one out for magsafe
yeah magsafe 2 was another thing that I noticed that I’m going to miss. F

i had magsafe 1 on my 2011 MBA and that was even better

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
they make these if you really want magsafe back

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Thunderbolt3-Connector-Transfer-Compatible/dp/B0896QK2J5/

bonus points is USB-C is pretty poo poo for charging (I don't care if the "spec" is 50,000 remove/inserts or whatever, the port will break way before that) so this serves two purposes

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Kenny Logins posted:

yeah magsafe 2 was another thing that I noticed that I’m going to miss. F

i had magsafe 1 on my 2011 MBA and that was even better

magsafe 1 was great, magsafe 2 was poo poo

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Is there somewhere on apples site that i can get in on the ipads for guns program or is that for people in santa clara county only

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

50,000 remove/inserts

That reminds me, tell your mom I said hi

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Is there somewhere on apples site that i can get in on the ipads for guns program or is that for people in santa clara county only

it’s only available to cops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

mediaphage posted:

magsafe 1 was great, magsafe 2 was poo poo
compared to 1, it sure was. but compared to usb-c, 2 is better than that. damning faint praise of course